Low carber daily forum

Options

Replies

• tristahenry
    Options
    A recipe I was just telling someone about that I think will go amazing with my cauliflower soup tonight. Sorry it's not very specific, I kinda cook by taste and smell but I'll do my best.

Almond Chicken Parmesan:

- Put 3 parts almond flour, 1 part grated parmesan cheese in one bowl (after you experiment with this recipe a bit you can add
    seasonings to your taste or the dish you're using it with... I've tried paprika, chili powder, garlic onion and parsley, and they all
    came out good)
    - Beat 2 eggs in another bowl (more or less depending on how much chicken you're making)
    - Dip thin sliced chicken breast (you can buy this at the store or thinly slice and pond a regular chicken breast) in the egg first then
    coat with the almond flour mixture
    - Let the coated chicken rest on a board while you heat a touch of olive oil or cooking spray in a skillet over medium high heat
    (this step is important so the coating doesn't fall off
    - When your pan is hot and your chix rested cook about 2-3 minutes on each side or until done.

Super yummy and can be used in any way you used breaded chicken. Reheats beautifully too.
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    The Mexican in me can't resist sharing such a great recipe. I like this in place of a regular green salad for dinner and it is very low in carbs, lots of fiber

Tender Cactus Salad (Ensalada de Nopalitos)
    Ingredients
    Salad:
    1 jar Tender Cactus (Nopalitos)
    2-3 tomatoes diced
    1/2 medium sweet onion diced
    1 avocado in slices
    1/3 cup chopped fresh coriander (cilantro)
    1-2 Serrano or Jalapeno peppers (or to taste)
    1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese (optional)
    Dressing:
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    1 tablespoon red wine vinegar (optional)
    1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
    salt and pepper to taste

Preparation

Mix all salad ingredients together.
    Whisk together dressing ingredients and pour over salad, toss well to eat.
    Tip
    This salad can be made a few hours ahead of time and refrigerated until needed.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    The Mexican in me can't resist sharing such a great recipe. I like this in place of a regular green salad for dinner and it is very low in carbs, lots of fiber

Ingredients
    Salad:
    2-3 tomatoes diced
    1 avocado in slices
    Dressing:
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    salt and pepper to taste

Preparation

Tip

Sounds delicious but we do not have tender cactus here in the UK- what could you use as a substitute?
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    A recipe I was just telling someone about that I think will go amazing with my cauliflower soup tonight. Sorry it's not very specific, I kinda cook by taste and smell but I'll do my best.

Almond Chicken Parmesan:

- Put 3 parts almond flour, 1 part grated parmesan cheese in one bowl (after you experiment with this recipe a bit you can add
    seasonings to your taste or the dish you're using it with... I've tried paprika, chili powder, garlic onion and parsley, and they all
    came out good)
    - Beat 2 eggs in another bowl (more or less depending on how much chicken you're making)
    - Dip thin sliced chicken breast (you can buy this at the store or thinly slice and pond a regular chicken breast) in the egg first then
    - Let the coated chicken rest on a board while you heat a touch of olive oil or cooking spray in a skillet over medium high heat
    - When your pan is hot and your chix rested cook about 2-3 minutes on each side or until done.

Super yummy and can be used in any way you used breaded chicken. Reheats beautifully too.

This sounds great too, Could you use ground almonds instead of almond flour?
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I would find it helpful to join in - currently doing Dukan - very early days so getting used to it. Did Atkins around 8 years ago - that was my first foray into low-carb and I learnt a lot about how my body reacts to most foods - never did understand before that how I could eat 3-4 slices toast and still not be satisfied - least not for long - sane with fruit - eat fruit like grapes and then have major sugar rush / hunger pangs really quickly after.

As we know - lowcarb diets work for many to lose weight and keep it off - key is to find a plan that u can basically stick to for life - know that's the most difficult bit - least for me.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    I agree-

I have tried Atkins too, and although some people swear by it and are rigid followers- I find it too strict for me. I did it for 3 months and lost over 30 pounds but I was a horrible person to be around!!! Very cranky, snappy and had mental cravings alllll the time. Of course, I gained it all back.

I still have a pretty low carb intake- probably about 30-40 a day but some days I will allow more. I drink diet fizzy drinks, eat dairy (low in carbs) and sometimes have butternut squash, quinoa and some fruits (berries....yum!). I also drink wine and vodka & diet cokes when I go out.

I also realise it's unrealistic to stick to plan 100%- I cannot cancel meals out just because I'm low carb. I allow myself a day off- try to make the most sensible choices, and get straight back on the next day.

I have been doing this and have been steadily losing.
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    You've lost 58lbs - that's an incredible amount.
    How long has that taken you?
    I've got 40+ lbs to lose. 50 if I go by the recommended Target Weights - but I just want to be a healthy weight - not super skinny.
    Am 16lbs heavier than when I first did Atkins - first time round I lost 8lbs in the two week induction phase - I think that you never ever get the original really big weight loss hit from low-carbing once you've done it the once. Think your body learns the trick ;-)
    Low-carbing is hard in the beginning - but if you get into the swing of it - and take time to understand the principles - and your own body - it is very effective way of consuming calories that keep you full and satisfied throughout the day - thereby in turn helping achieve weight-loss.
    As with everything it's the next stages that take more time and effort - if I am successful I am determined to take it steady to try and maintain - and not think I can celebrate my weight loss with calorific - though v v yummy treats...
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    I'm 58lbs down from my highest weight of 330lbs in 2008. I feel a fraud saying I'm down 58lbs- when really I lost 138lbs, and regained over 80lbs back in a short space of time (a year).

BUT, I am still lighter than my highest and I use that to motivate me.

I have about 73 lbs to lose to get to my first goal (Under 200, BMI of 26.3) and then i will re-evaluate.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    whoops, duplicate
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Metalbeau and Teddyaderwich (apologies for any mis-spelling) you guys sound like me. Metal, I give myself a day off, though am not so good at making good choices, and need to see how this goes for me as I'm now trying to maintain. I have the same carb intake as you and include dairy - I reckon you're doing Dukan without realising!

Ted - I'm Dukan too, it's a great method I think.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options

Ingredients
    Salad:
    2-3 tomatoes diced
    1 avocado in slices
    Dressing:
    1 tablespoon lime juice
    salt and pepper to taste

Preparation

Tip

I have NO IDEA what Tender Cactus, or Nopalitos is, but the rest sounds delish! I'll keep an eye out for it though!
  • tristahenry
    Options

Almond Chicken Parmesan:

came out good)

This sounds great too, Could you use ground almonds instead of almond flour?

I would imagine you could but I don't really know the texture of ground almonds. If nothing else it would be a new creation that's just as tasty.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Chorizo pizza omlette with a side of garlic spinach for dinner tonight!

Omlette pizza 'base' made with 4 eggs (I'll need 4- got a biiiig workout tonight)
    chopped chorizo sausage
    A tomato puree mixed with harissa paste
    mozarella cheese
    chopped black olives
    Jalapeno peppers (I like things SPICY)
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Vietnamese Squid/Prawn Salad

You can use any seafood or shellfish in this salad recipe, or you can use salmon/ chunky white fish too. I am using squid for mine as I <3 squid.

-1 large squid tube (Cleaned, prepped) or handful of baby squid
    - 1 large handful cleaned, deveined king prawns (large shrimp)
    - 1 small bunch fresh coriander (Cilantro).
    - 1 handful fresh mint leaves.
    - 2 chopped red chillis
    - 1 handful bean sprouts
    - Cucumber, cut into ribbons with a veg peeler
    - 4 spring onions, sliced
    - 2 tbsp roasted crushed peanuts
    - 2 tbsp crispy fried onions/shallots
    - 2 cloves garlic, chopped and fried with the crispy shallots.
    - 2 tbsp nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
    - 1-2 tsp granulated splenda
    - juice of 1 lime
    - 1 tbsp rice vinegar

METHOD:

1. Flash fry/ grill your seafood for a couple of minutes until cooked. Set aside.

2. In a large bowl, put in your cucumber, spring onions and beansprouts.

3. On a high heat, fry your onion/shallot and garlic until browned and crispy, but not burnt. Set aside.

4. Combine seafood & veggies. Toss through the chilli, herbs and half the crispy onions/garlic and half the peanuts.

5. Make your dressing with the fish sauce, vinegar and splenda. Toss through the salad.

6. Garnish with the remaining peanuts and crispy bits. Squeeze over the lime juice.

Et Voila!!
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Pumpkin Pancakes
    They are a thinner pancake, but the flavor is outstanding.(so they say.. i've never tried them .. will try soon.)

1/4 cup cottage or ricotta cheese
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup pumpkin
    1/4 tsp cinnamon
    1 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp aluminum free baking powder
    1/4 cup vanilla whey protein OR 2 TBS coconut flour

Preheat skillet. Beat eggs with electric mixer on high for 1 minute to make them light and fluffy. In a food processor, blend the cottage cheese until very smooth, then add to the eggs. Add all the other ingredients. Pour batter onto skillet, fry until golden brown. Serve with Nature's Hollow syrup. Makes 4 servings. Whole Recipe = 321 calories, 11.9 carbs, 6.6 fiber

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per serving):
    Traditional Pancakes = 149 calories, 28 carbs, 1 fiber, 4g protein
    “Healthified” Pancakes = 80 calories, 2.9 carbs, 1.6 fiber, 9g protein

NUTRITIONAL COMPARISON (per 1/4 cup syrup)
    Regular Pancake Syrup: 240 calories, 40 carbs, 40 sugar
    Nature’s Hollow Syrup: 76 calories, 28 carbs, 26 sugar alcohol, 2 effective carbs
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I'm an Atkins lady. My diary is open for anyone to have a look at if they wish. I love the low carb lifestyle. I am full of energy. My diabetes is under the tightest control ever and the weight has dropped significantly. I am a happy lady!
    Add me if you wish. :)
    Hi Im interested in what you do for breakfast using coconut oil and flaxseed? Im always looking for breakfast ideas that are simple and fast! thanks
  • anewrac
    anewrac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree-

I have tried Atkins too, and although some people swear by it and are rigid followers- I find it too strict for me. I did it for 3 months and lost over 30 pounds but I was a horrible person to be around!!! Very cranky, snappy and had mental cravings alllll the time. Of course, I gained it all back.

I still have a pretty low carb intake- probably about 30-40 a day but some days I will allow more. I drink diet fizzy drinks, eat dairy (low in carbs) and sometimes have butternut squash, quinoa and some fruits (berries....yum!). I also drink wine and vodka & diet cokes when I go out.

I also realise it's unrealistic to stick to plan 100%- I cannot cancel meals out just because I'm low carb. I allow myself a day off- try to make the most sensible choices, and get straight back on the next day.

I have been doing this and have been steadily losing.

This sounds like a fantastic plan :) Have you lost all of your weight following this?
  • anewrac
    anewrac Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I meant to add it to the quote and not in the quote!!!

Sounds like a fab plan. Have you lost all your weight this way?
  • jtreadwell
    jtreadwell Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like to get ideas from Lindas low carb menus and recipes website. She has all sorts of yummy things to make. Snacks, soups, desserts, appetizers, main courses, side dishes, sauces, breads, breakfast.........she lists the carb, calorie, and fat content of everything.
  • 2Bstrong
    Options
    I, too, HAD PCOS, but now that I am over 40, my symptoms no longer exist. My biggest symptom was that I did not ovulate, and I was always told I wouldn't have children. Well, LOW-CARB dieting helped me not only lose 20 pounds (about ten years ago), but it leveled off my insulin resistance and two babies later (I have a ten year old and an 8 year old), I totally believe it is the best way to eat:)!

I need to get back to it, which is why I joined MFP. I have gotten away from eating that way and my weight has slowly crept up to a point where I am uncomfortable in my own body. It is so easy to stay within your calorie goals in a low-carb lifestyle, and more than any other nutrition information, aside from carbs, I watch my grams of protein and sugar intake.

I'm trying to lose 50 pounds by the end of February! I'll be checking in on this forum often:) Thank you.

I placed a recipe called "Crustless Egg Dish" in the recipe section of MFP. Just my version of a breakfast bake that can be made ahead of time and heated up throughout the week.

My picture says I joined in May of 2010, but I didn't stick around. I recently joined in September 2011:)