Low carber daily forum

Options
Hello there fellow MFP low carbers!

I thought I would set up a group where we can share meal and snack ideas, recipes, our daily menus, tips, treats, products and general wisdom.

This is for all low carbers to join, whether you're just cutting down for weight loss or health reasons or whether you're paleo, or Atkins/Dukan. I don't want this to be a judgement forum- each person knows what works for them and we should respect that.

I am doing low carb as I have PCOS and find that this is what works for me. I stay within my calorie allowance most days (1540), drink plenty of water, and try to stay under 60g of carbs per day. I do not follow a specific diet plan, just eat various meats, plenty of veggies, some fruits, cheeses, nuts and eat quinoa a couple of times a week.

Who's in?

Replies

• viclli
    Options
    I'm in. I have PCOS too, and have been following no particular brand of diet - just as little carb as possible while still eating some vegetables! I've been doing this since July, and it is beginning to be more of a struggle to stick to it as I find I eat the same things again and again, so some hints and ideas from other people doing the same thing would be great!
  • elimay59
    Options
    Im a half and half, I do mostly low carbs. I love adkins muffin in a minute {very easy recipe and satisfying} also the adkins shakes are easy to grab in the morning. I would love more ideas. I have mostly cut out bread and pasta. light baby bell cheese is a good snack and very portable . Im in if you dont mind that I dont do complete low carb diet.:happy:
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    My dinner:

Cauliflower cheese soup: Serves 6, 10g carbs per large serving, 200 cals.

1 head cauliflower
    2 veg stock cubes, dissolved in 400ml hot water
    1 leek, chopped
    1 tbsp butter
    S&P
    100g strong cheddar cheese (Use any cheese you like)
    40 ml cream or low fat creme fraiche

METHOD:

1. sautee the leek in the butter, then add the cauliflower florets and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins until cauliflower is tender.

2. Blend the soup and place back on heat. Add the seasoning, cream and half the cheese. Simmer gently for a further 5 mins.

3. Serve the soup and garnish with the remaining cheese.

*tip* If you have extra cals to spare, sprinkly some crispy bacon on top.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Im a half and half, I do mostly low carbs. I love adkins muffin in a minute {very easy recipe and satisfying} also the adkins shakes are easy to grab in the morning. I would love more ideas. I have mostly cut out bread and pasta. light baby bell cheese is a good snack and very portable . Im in if you dont mind that I dont do complete low carb diet.:happy:

Don't mind at all, like I said it's for all types of low carbers :o)
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Lunch tomorrow:

Coronation chicken lettuce cups:

Shredded roast chicken
    1 tbsp mayo
    1/2 tsp curry powder
    1 tbsp chopped coriander (cilantro)

squeeze of lime juice
    1/2 gem lettuce

spoon the mix into the lettuce cups and squeeze lime juice over top.
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Bump for later! Great idea :smile:
  • Leanne1795
    Options
    I'm an Atkins lady. My diary is open for anyone to have a look at if they wish. I love the low carb lifestyle. I am full of energy. My diabetes is under the tightest control ever and the weight has dropped significantly. I am a happy lady!
    Add me if you wish. :)
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Just found this recipe for Morroccan lamb meatball baked with eggs and it looks yummy!!

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/749722/moroccan-meatballs-with-eggs

I recon that if you take away the breadcrumbs from the meatballs, and take the chickpeas out of the recipe that the carbs will be <10g per portion :o)

I'm going to add some black olives and spinach to mine.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Love the forum! I'll add one now to contribute. Think this recipe was from the 500 Low Carb Cookbook that I love!

Heroin Wings

4 pounds chicken wings ***
    1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 Tablespoons dried parsley
    1 Tablespoon dried oregano
    2 teaspoons paprika
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 cup butter, melted

1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

2. Cut the wings, into pieces saving the pointy tips for making soup or broth.

3. Combine the Parmesan cheese and the parsley, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl.

4. Line a shallow baking pan with foil.( if you don't do this you
    will be sorry cause you will be scrubbing on this pan a week later).

5. Melt the butter in a shallow bowl or pan.

6. Dip each piece in butter, roll in the cheese and seasoning mixture,and arranged in the foil-lined pan.

7. Bake for 1 hour

Nutritional Info
    • Servings Per Recipe: 8
    • Amount Per Serving
    • Calories: 173.6
    • Total Fat: 15.7 g
    • Cholesterol: 45.2 mg
    • Sodium: 323.1 mg
    • Total Carbs: 1.3 g
    • Dietary Fiber: 0.5 g
    • Protein: 7.4 g
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    Love the forum! I'll add one now to contribute. Think this recipe was from the 500 Low Carb Cookbook that I love!

Heroin Wings

2 teaspoons paprika
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 cup butter, melted

3. Combine the Parmesan cheese and the parsley, oregano, paprika, salt, and pepper in a bowl.

6. Dip each piece in butter, roll in the cheese and seasoning mixture,and arranged in the foil-lined pan.

7. Bake for 1 hour

Nutritional Info
    • Amount Per Serving

Lol- I take it they are called 'herion' wings because they are addictive..... not because they contain opiates!
  • tristahenry
    Options
    I love this forum! My diary is open if anyone wants to peruse. I will say I've kinda sucked the past week or so but I'm a recovering carb addict (I'm Italian so it's to be expected I fall off the wagon from time to time). I shoot for low carb because I have very high triglycerides and think I get bellly issues when I carbo-load. Your cauliflower soup sounds amazing and can't wait to get to the farm market after work today. I want to recommend a website I find myself going to time and again for low carb recipes. www. kalynskitchen.com... I haven't made any of her recipes I didn't love.
  • nrtenagrl
    nrtenagrl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    yay! I'm so excited someone started this, thanks!.. I kept looking for some low carb recipes and I would find myself reading post on why low carb is bad... I just wanted a recipe! I think we are all adults and should be able to respect each others choices.. so lets get the ball rolling

Chicken Adobo (got it from Atkins Recipe)

Nutritional Information
    Per Serving:

Net Carbs: 2.5 grams

Fiber: 0.5 grams

Protein: 50 grams

Fat: 41 grams

Calories: 588

Recipe Information:

Makes: 4 servings

Ingredients:
    1 cup unsweetened white wine vinegar
    1 tablespoon chopped garlic
    1 bay leaf (⅛ teaspoon dried bay leaves)
    1½ teaspoons whole peppercorns, lightly crushed
    ½ cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
    6 whole chicken legs, cut into drumstick and thigh pieces
    1 cup chicken broth
    3 tablespoons canola oil
    Directions:

1. In a large baking dish, combine vinegar, garlic, bay leaf, peppercorns and tamari. Add chicken and toss to coat.
    2. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate 1 hour in the refrigerator.
    3. Transfer chicken and marinade to a large saucepan. Add broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes.
    4. Transfer chicken to a plate and continue cooking marinade until it is reduced to 1 cup, about 10 minutes, skimming off the fat.
    5. Meanwhile, pat chicken dry with paper towels.
    6. In a large skillet, heat oil over high heat. Brown chicken in batches, about 2 minutes per side.
    7. To serve, transfer chicken to a deep platter and the sauce over it.
  • Mbelzner10
    Options
    My dinner:

Cauliflower cheese soup: Serves 6, 10g carbs per large serving, 200 cals.

1 head cauliflower
    2 veg stock cubes, dissolved in 400ml hot water
    1 leek, chopped
    1 tbsp butter
    S&P
    100g strong cheddar cheese (Use any cheese you like)
    40 ml cream or low fat creme fraiche

METHOD:

1. sautee the leek in the butter, then add the cauliflower florets and stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 mins until cauliflower is tender.

2. Blend the soup and place back on heat. Add the seasoning, cream and half the cheese. Simmer gently for a further 5 mins.

3. Serve the soup and garnish with the remaining cheese.

*tip* If you have extra cals to spare, sprinkly some crispy bacon on top.

MMMM that sounds good!
  • Mbelzner10
    Options

Heroin Wings

2 teaspoons paprika
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 cup butter, melted

7. Bake for 1 hour

Nutritional Info
    • Amount Per Serving

GAMEDAY food!! Yum!!!
  • reeldancer
    reeldancer Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm in.

And Re: heroin wings, when I make the in add crushed garlic ... Sooooooo good!!
  • tamheath
    Options

Heroin Wings

2 teaspoons paprika
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 cup butter, melted

7. Bake for 1 hour

Nutritional Info
    • Amount Per Serving

Lol- I take it they are called 'herion' wings because they are addictive..... not because they contain opiates!

Guess I should've cleared that up at the beginning! :smokin:
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I love this forum! My diary is open if anyone wants to peruse. I will say I've kinda sucked the past week or so but I'm a recovering carb addict (I'm Italian so it's to be expected I fall off the wagon from time to time). I shoot for low carb because I have very high triglycerides and think I get bellly issues when I carbo-load. Your cauliflower soup sounds amazing and can't wait to get to the farm market after work today. I want to recommend a website I find myself going to time and again for low carb recipes. www. kalynskitchen.com... I haven't made any of her recipes I didn't love.

Nice to have another pro-low-carb thread! :happy:
    Great recipe website! Thanks for posting!
  • tamheath
    Options
    Parmesan Tilapia:

Happily snagged from allrecipes.com. Even my 13 yr old son who generally won't eat fish will eat this. We have used SmartBalance butter and light mayo. No difference in taste at all.

Ingredients

* 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
    * 1/4 cup butter, softened
    * 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
    * 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
    * 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
    * 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
    * 1/8 teaspoon celery salt
    * 2 pounds tilapia fillets

Directions

1. Preheat your oven's broiler. Grease a broiling pan or line pan with aluminum foil.
    2. In a small bowl, mix together the Parmesan cheese, butter, mayonnaise and lemon juice. Season with dried basil, pepper, onion powder and celery salt. Mix well and set aside.
    3. Arrange fillets in a single layer on the prepared pan. Broil a few inches from the heat for 2 to 3 minutes. Flip the fillets over and broil for a couple more minutes. Remove the fillets from the oven and cover them with the Parmesan cheese mixture on the top side. Broil for 2 more minutes or until the topping is browned and fish flakes easily with a fork. Be careful not to over cook the fish.

Servings Per Recipe: 8

Amount Per Serving

Calories: 225

* Total Fat: 12.8g
    * Cholesterol: 63mg
    * Sodium: 221mg
    * Total Carbs: 0.8g
    * Dietary Fiber: 0.1g
    * Protein: 25.4g
  • FireSwan
    FireSwan Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Great idea! I'll add a few recipes when I get a chance.. :)