Low carber daily forum

Options

Replies

• ccmccoy09
    ccmccoy09 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    @metal_beau
    - Spiced shredded chicken with mole flavours (slow cooked with a blend of cumin, garlic, cayenne pepper, a pinch of cinnamon and a pinch of cocoa)

Please, please post details for or a link how to make this! It sounds amazing. Do you do it in a crock pot?
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    Oh, may i join you guys?

a little about me. i am diabetic, so i need to watch carbs. i stopped losing after i had hit 80+ pounds lost (as you can see i gained 30+ back). so i thought it's time to change diet. i have changed it so many times in the last 2 years my head spins. i didn't need to change anything. i just needed to stop putting food in my mouth. i know deep down this what my body does well on, and it's what i need to do. it has been excuses. i am putting my plan together with an exercise plan moving ahead.

later
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This recipe sounds lovely - yum yum
  • Teddyaderwich
    Teddyaderwich Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm in on a Facebook page - as others have said don't want to discuss my weight can't imagine anything worse on fb!
  • dodie62
    dodie62 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled onto this thread and I would love to join you guys. I too have PCOS and I just recently had vertical sleeve gastrectomy so my life is all about the protein and low carbs.
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I posted this in the Atkin's forum and thought I'd share here too.

Pumpkin Pancakes

Serves 1; 391 calories, 16g carbs, 8g fiber (8g net carbs), 17g protein, 30g fat, 5g sugar

This is a big serving, very filling.

1/4 cup 100% pumpkin
    1/2 cup egg beaters (used this to keep the fat down, 2 whole eggs adds 10g fat)
    1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
    4 packets of splenda, divided
    2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
    1 Tbsp cream cheese
    pinch of salt

Mix together everything but the cream cheese and one packet of splenda. Save that for a topping, I have it added to the counts. Set griddle or pan to 350 degrees. Butter or spray the pan and make 6 small pancakes. This makes them much easier to flip. I waited until they looked set, flipped, then cooked them an additional 40 seconds.

The recipe I modified called for 1/2 tsp of vanilla, but I forgot to add it and tasted great without. To include it adds 1g carbs.

I'm sure SF syrup and butter would also taste good in lieu of the cream cheese.
  • cynarajade
    cynarajade Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump for later, some of these recipes I definitely need to try!
  • FabCheeky
    FabCheeky Posts: 311
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Options
    Easy/fast bacon wrapped jalapeno poppers
    Great for football parties

Ingredients:

- Jalapenos
    - Cream Cheese
    - Bacon

Slice jalapenos in half and scoop out seeds.
    Rinse with water.
    Slightly warm cream cheese in microwave for a few seconds.
    Fill jalapenos with cream cheese.
    Wrap stuffed jalapeno with bacon and secure with toothpick.
    Bake @ 450 degrees until bacon is nice n crispy (~25 minutes).
    Remove from oven and impatiently eat one.
    Soothe burnt tongue with beer.
    Let sit and cool for as long as you can resist.

You can also add cheese or ranch flavoring to the cream cheese if you like/have the patience.

Oh Delish sounding and yeah you got me nailed to a tee - I cant wait especially for something sounding so yummy~
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Options
    Hospital food in the uk............................where do I begin????
    I asked for low carb/diabetic. Got mashed potatoes and white bread roll. Refused to eat it, got told off. Then given pasta in what appeared to be glue! ~Refused to eat it. Asked for salad. Got dead leaves and gloop.
    REALLY??? Is this how we feed our sick?
    I am so pleased to be home!!!

I am glad you are well enough to be home. I am sorry to hear about your time in the hospital. I hope it wasnt anything super serious? Now back to not eating hospital bahooey!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I posted this in the Atkin's forum and thought I'd share here too.

Pumpkin Pancakes

Serves 1; 391 calories, 16g carbs, 8g fiber (8g net carbs), 17g protein, 30g fat, 5g sugar

This is a big serving, very filling.

1/4 cup 100% pumpkin
    1/2 cup egg beaters (used this to keep the fat down, 2 whole eggs adds 10g fat)
    1/8 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 tsp cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
    4 packets of splenda, divided
    2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
    1 Tbsp cream cheese
    pinch of salt

Mix together everything but the cream cheese and one packet of splenda. Save that for a topping, I have it added to the counts. Set griddle or pan to 350 degrees. Butter or spray the pan and make 6 small pancakes. This makes them much easier to flip. I waited until they looked set, flipped, then cooked them an additional 40 seconds.

The recipe I modified called for 1/2 tsp of vanilla, but I forgot to add it and tasted great without. To include it adds 1g carbs.

I'm sure SF syrup and butter would also taste good in lieu of the cream cheese.

Yummers! I love pumpkin and I love flax meal pancakes so I'm going to try this tomorrow!
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    oh and I made the spinach ham frittata today and it was awesome!!
  • yummummum
    yummummum Posts: 257
    Options
    I would be up for the FB group if the settings were private.

I find it hard to follow and keep the recipes here.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I would be up for the FB group if the settings were private.

I find it hard to follow and keep the recipes here.

The site itself would only be viewable by the members, but your own personal information would have to be set by you, the individual....
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Another bowl of winter yumminess:

Smoked bacon and savoy cabbage chowder:

Serves 4- 190 cals & 6g carbs per portion.

- 1/2 head savoy cabbage shredded
    - 2 garlic cloves, crushed
    - 1 leek, green & white bit, chopped (you can also use green/spring onions or 1 large onion)
    - 6 rashers smoked bacon, chopped
    - 60ml (4 tbsp) double cream (Heavy cream)
    - vegetable stock (Home made or made using 2 stock cubes (Bouillion cubes))
    - 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
    - black pepper

METHOD:

1. Fry the bacon bits until really crispy- set aside.

2. sautee the leek/onions and garlic until soft. Add the vegetable stock and seasoning- then add the cabbage and simmer for about 8 mins until the cabbage is almost cooked.

3. Add the cream and reduce the heat. Warm through and then add the crispy bacon bits and fresh parsley.

Serve and enjoy!!

* I have adapted this from a recipe I used to have which used corn and potatoes aswell. If you are missing that 'potato' starchiness in the chowder, I reccomend you add cubed cauliflower or broccoli stalks.
  • freeloaves
    Options
    I need to start watching carbs - I have PCOS and my biggest love is porridge, pasta, breads, potatoes :(

I tried to do it for about a week, but cafes just aren't really carb free and I just love my bread! I think my first goal will be sticking to 100carbs a day. Then I'll go from there.

It's also hard when you have a fussy eater for a boyfriend too ...
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I need to start watching carbs - I have PCOS and my biggest love is porridge, pasta, breads, potatoes :(

I tried to do it for about a week, but cafes just aren't really carb free and I just love my bread! I think my first goal will be sticking to 100carbs a day. Then I'll go from there.

It's also hard when you have a fussy eater for a boyfriend too ...
    Under 100 grams of carb is my basic goal. My husband sort of freaks out when I eat low carb so I eat very few during the daytime and then eat whatever for dinner. I still try to avoid heavy carb foods like rice and pasta and potatoes, or are the very least, eat very small portions.
  • freeloaves
    Options

Under 100 grams of carb is my basic goal. My husband sort of freaks out when I eat low carb so I eat very few during the daytime and then eat whatever for dinner. I still try to avoid heavy carb foods like rice and pasta and potatoes, or are the very least, eat very small portions.

Rice pasta and potatoes. Cut. Okay. May still have small potatoes for dinner at times.

I usually have porridge for breakfast and to save on costs, my bf and I are taking sandwiches to work for lunch. So already, carbs :( But I had a look on diary and they don't add up to TOO much. I just need to start being strict with myself really.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    cool, just found this thread for low carbers. I am posting so I can find it easily later and read the ideas. My doctors have me on a pretty strict regimen right now.

Low carb
    Low sodium
    No dairy
    No flour based products
    No fruit
    No root veggies
    extra lean meat only

feels a little like being a rabbit...except for the meat part...the only thing I can have for breakfast is whey protein shakes, made with only water, *gag* or egg white omlette which i am quickly growing tired of. And I am only on day 3. ick.