Low carber daily forum

Options

Replies

• Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    What're your thoughts...sorry, this is a question, not a recipe! I went over on calories yesterday (800 - not freaking out as I'm trying to figure out how to maintain anyway, but still, I have a calorific weekend ahead). Anyway, I was over on cals but my macros worked out at 8 net carbs for the day (thanks to too much munching on roasted and dried soya beans being SO much higher in fibre than carbs).

Generally speaking, would this impact weight? Or does the low-carb counter some/all(hopefully :tongue: ) all of the extra calories? I now it's still calories in/out, I actually just don't understant the low carb thing, other than it works!

Thanks lovely low carbers!

I wouldnt worry going over on cals hun. I rarely count cals nowadays, but count my carbs. I think with 8g carbs youll be fine! X
  • glypta
    glypta Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    What're your thoughts...sorry, this is a question, not a recipe! I went over on calories yesterday (800 - not freaking out as I'm trying to figure out how to maintain anyway, but still, I have a calorific weekend ahead). Anyway, I was over on cals but my macros worked out at 8 net carbs for the day (thanks to too much munching on roasted and dried soya beans being SO much higher in fibre than carbs).

Generally speaking, would this impact weight? Or does the low-carb counter some/all(hopefully :tongue: ) all of the extra calories? I now it's still calories in/out, I actually just don't understant the low carb thing, other than it works!

Thanks lovely low carbers!

I wouldnt worry going over on cals hun. I rarely count cals nowadays, but count my carbs. I think with 8g carbs youll be fine! X

Thanks. I just don't understand the science :smile:
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    been MIA for a few days- and not low carbing either as it's been my birthday. More celebrations this weekend (including a whole stuffed sheep- not just for me though!) so I will be back at it fully on monday 31st.

Still making good food choices and exercising though!

I hope you are all doing okay ?
  • rachemn
    rachemn Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Ive been MIA off the forums too. Just have a lot going on at home and at work, but I'm still logging...slacking a bit on my exercise though and have had some super hungry days and bad food choices. Keep putting the same 20 pounds back on. I've spent the last year just working on these 20 pounds...I lose, I gain, I lose, I gain. Thinking about stopping my hyperthyroid meds for a while and seeing if that helps!
  • vonnywaft
    vonnywaft Posts: 182
    Options
    as predicted the weekend was a bit of a write off diet-wise as there was very little to be had at the sports venue we were at. However I got back to low carbing yesterday and today I found I've lost a pound in the last week so was quite pleased with that. For dinner I've been quite enjoying beef meatballs with brocolli and a bought pasta sauce with parmesan cheese on top. it's a really quick meal as it's all bought in, very low carb and hugely tasty. For lunch this last two days I've had smoked mackerel fillets with tomatoes and a little bit of 4-bean salad - yum.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Im physically here, but significantly brain dead as I work the night shifts for last night, tonight and tomorrow night. Gotta get in a hefty lunch on the days I work nights that way I dont end up like yesterday.... I ate way too low, but definitely NOT intentionally... Im finding that when you eat enough of the right kinds of food, after working your *kitten* off, you dont hurt as much the next day... and today, Im still hurting like I just got out of work so, Im off to grabbing something on the big side.
  • sd101483
    sd101483 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting to go lower carbs and am finding it difficult to be creative and not eat the same thing all the time. I'm aiming to stay under 100 carbs a day, which isn't really low, by any means, but it's lowER for me. I'm starting to drop this lower as I become more familiar with the right foods. This is a great thread! Thanks for starting it!
  • rw4hawks
    rw4hawks Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later.
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    I have a couple of bowls of Jack-o-lantern 'brains' (thats pumpkin flesh to you and me) and was wondering what i could make with it.

I stumbled accross this pumpkin & ricotta 'Gnocci' recipe and oh it looks good:

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=111:not-gnocchi-but-close&catid=48:vegetables&Itemid=63

I'm going to sub the coconut flour with almond flour I think, and serve with the sage butter :o)
  • Laura_beau
    Options
    In fact- the entire website is packed with yummy looking low carb recipes- check it out!

http://www.lowcarbcooking.co.nz/
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    Must bookmark that site it sounds good.

I'm doing OK this week, keeping the carbs right down below 30 and just trying to get the caffiene back to an OK level after overdoing it at the weekend. Too much caffiene leaves me so sluggish in the mornings that I rely on more caffiene to kick start me - a vicious circle I get into and need to break on a regular basis. I've lost 10 lbs since I started on MFP in August, but the weight loss was v slow to start with as I was just watching cals not carbs and that doesn't work for me. Dinner last night was some good quality beef sausages (high % meat) with onion gravy and broccoli - I made a carrot parsnip and potato mash for husband and child, but resisted that myself although i did lick the serving spoon! I need to find a spare day to look up some good recipes and do some batch cooking for the freezer. Basketball training tonight.
  • bada_bing
    bada_bing Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Vonny:

That is so my story...low calorie just wasn't making any weight loss results but with low carbing, weight is dropping and measurements feel so much better. I am not going to measure for awhile yet. I have only been low carbing for 2 weeks but am about 5 lbs down.

And it is not hard...low calorie...I was always hungry!
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    I had smoked salmon and scrambled egg for brekkie today - it was so lovely, not like "diet" food at all. Chicken salad in a cafe for lunch as we were out and about and then bol with no spag tonight then shared some McNuggets with littl'un on the way back from her basketball training. Still came in at only 23 carbs and 1123 cals - and actually feel like I've quite indulged meself!!

Glad to see it's working for you too bada_bing!
  • krisinky
    Options
    Hi there, this sounds like a forum that will suit me me just fine. I have been low-carb for a long time except when I pregnant and nursing. Done with both things now and really trying to lose 20 lbs. I keep my calorie less than 1800 and carb less than 55. I am not seeing a huge weight loss. Also, I have PCOS which I know does make it harder. Hello to everyone on here.
  • krisinky
    Options
    Hi there, this sounds like a forum that will suit me me just fine. I have been low-carb for a long time except when I pregnant and nursing. Done with both things now and really trying to lose 20 lbs. I keep my calorie less than 1800 and carb less than 55. I am not seeing a huge weight loss. Also, I have PCOS which I know does make it harder. Hello to everyone on here.
  • cramernh
    Options
    Hey everyone!! Gonna post a recipe over at the FB page for a bulk side and soup all at once...

Homemade Marinara and Garden Tomato soup... it came out AWESOME today!
  • vonnywaft
    Options
    OK so today didn't go so well food-wise - had to take little one for a scheduled MRI scan at the hospital and didn't plan ahead for my food - ended up having a flapjack and a bag of crisps for lunch (I'm gluten intolerant and there was literally nothing in the shop that wasn't bread or pasta other than sweets crisps and cakes). We were pretty shattered by the end of the day and although I did a reasonably low-carb dinner I did then "accidentally" eat a pot of lemon cheesecake meant for my daughter! I think TOMs on its way too. Anyway a good night's sleep tonight and back on track tomoro! Not too worried about this blip - I'm only human after all.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    krisinky,

wow, if you are stuck, lowering your calories will just lower your metabolisim. Also, with your medical condition you need to reset your hormones!

read about it here: http://jackkruse.com/the-leptin-rx-faqs/ Wishing you good health!
  • krisinky
    Options
    Busywaterbending,
    So, how high should I go up in my calories? Most days, I feel like 1800 is enough. And, should I limit my carbs even more?
  • cramernh
    Options
    Busywaterbending,
    So, how high should I go up in my calories? Most days, I feel like 1800 is enough. And, should I limit my carbs even more?

I truly believe that if anyone chooses a low-carb option of their daily intake, I believe that it is VITAL to making sure you have a variety. You dont want the body to become accustomed to what you eat if it is the same thing all the time.

Im on 1600-Cal/120g Carbs daily.. I dont always make the 1200 mark, and so far, Ive only gone over 1600 calories once (last night by about 221), My carbs sometimes barely break 75g to be honest...

Experiment with different foods, sauces, flavors, etc... That way you dont get bored, and your body doesnt plateau...