Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options

Replies

• christina_michelle
    Options
    People are so rude!

Yes, I do agree the photo was not needed...BUT people eat different things in different cultures. To attack someone for eating a duck is to attack someone for eating a cheeseburger. Just cause she did the dirty work and didn't "pay" through the grapevine for someone else to do it...she's worse? NO.
  • LexxyV
    LexxyV Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    That duck embryo is not only disgusting but disturbing. I know it's a cultural thing, but THINK ABOUT IT...Which we should do with ALL the foods we eat...What it is, where it comes from, is it even real food? Reminds me of these good questions.

How is it different than eating a duck egg, or a fully grown duck?

I concur- how is it any different.. a duck is a duck is a duck
    It's not any different.

then not sure how it is disgusting and disturbing but hey maybe it's just me- this primal girl eats and loves her meat! Just because its a 'baby' makes it disturbing? Maybe I am a bit desynthesized to seeing such images as well- seen worse while working with my grandfather on his ranch from the time I was a small child.... shrugs
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    That duck embryo is not only disgusting but disturbing. I know it's a cultural thing, but THINK ABOUT IT...Which we should do with ALL the foods we eat...What it is, where it comes from, is it even real food? Reminds me of these good questions.

How is it different than eating a duck egg, or a fully grown duck?

I concur- how is it any different.. a duck is a duck is a duck
    It's not any different.

then not sure how it is disgusting and disturbing but hey maybe it's just me- this primal girl eats and loves her meat! Just because its a 'baby' makes it disturbing? Maybe I am a bit desynthesized to seeing such images as well- seen worse while working with my grandfather on his ranch from the time I was a small child.... shrugs

I agree with you. Ok, it's a baby duck, but eggs are baby chickens. they're not as developed as this duck, but they're basically the same damn thing.
  • jtmh2012
    jtmh2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just threw up

ditto....
  • scottberrydsm
    scottberrydsm Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    WTF?!?!?!?!

I was going to contribute some things like:
    Buttermilk
    Raw oysters
    Smoked eel
    Escargot
    Ludifisk
    Gefeltafish
    Roasted grasshoppers

But Duck Embryo???? Pork guts?????
  • plzlbsbegone
    Options
    OH.......MY......GOD! How could you get past holding a small dead duck in your hands!! AGH. I would throw up on the spot!! The only gross thing I have eaten ever was probably pig brain, scrambled in eggs, and thats because I was tricked! I promptly threw up afterward while my friends laughed at me!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    And here I thought my liking prunes was a little odd...
  • CoryIda
    Options
    When I was little, we lived in the absolute middle of NOWHERE (I didn't live somewhere with electricity until I was in elementary school) and my sister and I used to catch grasshoppers, pull their "hopping" legs off, squeeze the meat out of the legs, eat that, then let the grasshoppers walk away and toss the empty hopping legs away.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    I'd try balut. Blood stew doesn't really appeal to me, but I have always loved duck. I've had dog meat before when I was a child, and I also eat bamboo (UBER tasty in homemade ramen). It's not much but I enjoy sushi quite a bit. I've had frog legs but they're nothing to write home about. I would try horse, snake, alligator, mouse, bat, and even roasted tarantula.

While I do agree there's a lot of rudeness going on in this thread, I understand it's from culture shock. I don't condone it or like it, but I understand why at least. I wouldn't flinch at the duck embryo any more than I would flinch at someone eating a chicken egg, veal, or caviar.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    When I was little, we lived in the absolute middle of NOWHERE (I didn't live somewhere with electricity until I was in elementary school) and my sister and I used to catch grasshoppers, pull their "hopping" legs off, squeeze the meat out of the legs, eat that, then let the grasshoppers walk away and toss the empty hopping legs away.

Interesting! What does grasshopper meat taste like?
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    i've seen the duck embryo on the Food Network...forgot which show it was on.. or maybe Travel Channel
  • CoryIda
    Options

Interesting! What does grasshopper meat taste like?
    It's very mild and slightly salty.
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    Ah, I also forgot I enjoy escargot as well.

What's funny is everyone's reaction to the "pork guts" when many people in the USA eat chitterlings regularly.

BTW, how many of you have eaten sausage? Meat and guts in a tube, essentially.
  • StrengthIsBeautiful
    Options
    you eat that!? I was gonna say liver & onions but nevermind
    Don't knock till you try it!!!!

^^That was my Mother's favorite saying! We are Polish, and a traditional dish is "Czarnina" (Duck Blood Soup). My Mom did not require us to actually eat the traditional foods and strange things, but she did expect us to taste it. The first time I had it, one spoonful was enough to last me a lifetime.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    Options
    It's different, but hell---I'm up for trying any kind of food once.. as long as it wont kill me.

There's nothing super strange about it, but I occasionally eat squid. We bought some from the store, cut out the brains (someone in the store told us to do that), and then fried those babies up.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    I love MENUDO (BEEF TRIPE) with lime and cilantro. That's probably the most disgusting thing I'd eat and then there's liver. Not many people are willing to eat liver with a bunch of onions, but I am!

I wonder if anybody around here eats DOG. I wouldn't, but I like to threaten my chihuahua.
    Tried dog and it's okay. Goat taste better.:happy:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • xMedullaOblongatax
    Options
    I love MENUDO (BEEF TRIPE) with lime and cilantro. That's probably the most disgusting thing I'd eat and then there's liver. Not many people are willing to eat liver with a bunch of onions, but I am!

I wonder if anybody around here eats DOG. I wouldn't, but I like to threaten my chihuahua.
    Tried dog and it's okay. Goat taste better.:happy:

IDEA Fitness member

Ooo, I want to try goat! :D
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't understand people freaking out over this stuff. I don't know if I would try it... depends on the smell of it (smell sensitive)... but I'm just not that squicky I guess.

I just realized it's been a while since I've eaten any of our 6 legged friends. I kind of like dried ants, grasshoppers, and grubs :)

I also remember when I was in elementary school one of our teachers brought these little fish that were dried with sea salt and nothing else on them. I really liked those.
    We have that too. With the exception that it's probably fried and crispy. Tastes good with rice.

IDEA Fitness member
  • blooming_soul
    blooming_soul Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am half lebanese and eat a lot of Mediterranean food...some people don't like it because of all the garlic and lemon juice in many of the dishes.....hmm i've never tried duck embryo but i've eaten duck eggs, beaver, deer.....i would try it though, just out of curiosity!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    For all the "throw up" and grossed out people, you should take a picture of balut (duck embryo) and stick it on your fridges during times of hunger and binges cravings. I am doing you a favor..............:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member