Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options

Replies

• daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Oh man, opened this thread and saw the fertilized duck egg - I'm living in China and I tend to shy away from those things in the grocery store ;) Even if I did eat eggs, I think I would have a hard time getting this down - the bones would freak me out so bad!

Also, some of the adjectives used to describe delicacies from other cultures are pretty unnecessary - it's not "crap", "disgusting" or "revolting", it's just something you're not used to. So some cultures eat cat or dog - why is that so different than eating a cow or pig? Sure, fertilized duck egg is "like" eating a baby - so is veal, and yet that's not so strange to Western culture.

It's hysterical though, because simple cherished things in American culture are pretty "gross" to a lot of my Chinese students. They are completely freaked out by the concept of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and I've been told more than once that my beloved Dr. Pepper tastes like medicine.
  • VinVenture
    Options
    Oh man, I'm surprised I forgot about this until now. LUTEFISK! I've only had it once, and hated it, so it's not really a food I eat regularly. However, I am subjected to its smell every year for my college's traditional Norwegian Christmas Fest.

It's basically fish fermented in lye and served drowning in butter. It smells horrible, tastes bland, and has the texture of a wet diaper.

lutefisk.jpg

Served in butter? You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to serve it with fried bacon in fat. (Yes, the sauce is bacon bits in fat). It doesn't taste horrible I think, it doesn't taste anything. The consistency is horrible though, but bacon and mushy peas sort of make up for it (but not enough that I'm willing to make it.) Besides, it's a glorified reason to drink Aquavitae (akkevitt! - potato liquor). (Source: My 21 years on this planet as a Norwegian)

I think horsemeat is extremely delicious, and we usually buy some at the farmers market when the budget allows for it. Farmers markets here usually only sell honey, various meats and cheeses.
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Well I have change a lot of habits since I understood the conditions we (European) put animals into to get our food in our supermarkets. I got much more disgusted by the ham in my supermarket when I think to the unhuman way the animal was treated, how it grow up in a cell, became in adult in 3 weeks instead of 9 months, suffered unnecessary pain and stress while dying,... than your photos. I feel that if I buy this meat, I am responsible....so we buy much more expensive meat just to eat animals which grew up and died in normal conditions.

Being disgusted by your photos would also mean I consider my culture is better than yours...and I can not give an opinion until I tried. By the way, we eat animal like sheep, rabbit, horse (they are so beautifull) and even frog leggs and snails here.

In Belgium we are crasy about mussels, but I never understood how crasy was the guy who tried it for the first time: it looks like it has already been eaten and venomous, but a guy tried. What about eating oyster alive?
  • lawson305
    Options
    ok that is just plain nasty!:sick:
  • KarlDR
    KarlDR Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My initial reaction is that most of these foods are pretty nasty! But it all depends what you were raised with I suppose. In the UK we have black pudding (dried blood and fat in a sausage), brawn (pig or calfs head turned into a meaty jelly, often with brain included), calves feet and other similarly nasty stuff. I still wouldn't eat these things though!

Black pudding:
    black_pudding_16x9.jpg
  • brookelyn2030
    brookelyn2030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I thought of this as I ate dinuguan today. So here are my two:

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

dinuguan.jpg

DINUGUAN-pork blood stew with intestine

That looks like diarrhea stew. NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i certainly wouldn't eat it, and I wouldn't dare touch it with a ten foot pole
  • brookelyn2030
    brookelyn2030 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    My initial reaction is that most of these foods are pretty nasty! But it all depends what you were raised with I suppose. In the UK we have black pudding (dried blood and fat in a sausage), brawn (pig or calfs head turned into a meaty jelly, often with brain included), calves feet and other similarly nasty stuff. I still wouldn't eat these things though!

Black pudding:
    black_pudding_16x9.jpg

I would eat that before the stew and the duck embryo LOL
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    I have tried:

- reindeer - delish!!
    - ostrich - my staple meat instead of beef. tastes better and is healthier
    - springbok and kudu - whenever I can get hold of it. carpacio is amazing!!
    - warthog - one of my favourites
    - crocodile - not so nice
    - mopani worms - surprisingly tasty!!
    - raw oysters - nice if fresh
    - haggis - I loved it, which was unexpected as I don't normally like internal organs
    - squid heads are awesome, especially the cajun style
    - rabbit - did not enjoy, but this could have been because it arrived on the doorstep fully furred, but dead on my birthday.
    - pigeon - I did not like it so much

I am not squeamish and do not get put off my food very easily so am normally quite willing to try things. I do prefer my food to not look exactly like it did alive as it is easier to disassociate the food from the animal in my brain. I enjoy meat too much to be a vegetarian but I do love animals, I work with them!! I am not so sure about what carnivores would taste like as my understanding is that their meat is very unpalatable (to discourage other carnivores from going for them). Would probably give it a try though...
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I too have traveled around the world and here's my list of crazy dishes eaten:

Pidgeon, lizard, caribou, frogs legs (and no I didn't think it tasted like chicken) and wild boar

I used to travel with candy bars stored in my luggage in case I ran across a meal I truly could not stomach.
  • Irene8509
    Irene8509 Posts: 381 Member
    Options

Black pudding:
    black_pudding_16x9.jpg

I would eat that before the stew and the duck embryo LOL

I love black pudding. Would never had listed it in the disgusting column :)
  • tigertown11
    Options
    I didn't get to read everyone's replies but i wanted to share our Polish customs: Duck blood soup (which is very tasty and has prunes in it, served over noodles or potatoes), headcheese, chicken feet, pig stomach soup (cream based), krupnik sausage (pig inerds with buckwheat). And my all time favorite for winter: Fish egg soup (eggs from a Northern Pike; I live in MN).
    I'm so hungry right now!
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving dinner...take the turkey heart, cook, and add to the gravy for the mashed potatoes. YUM!!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    I thought of this as I ate dinuguan today. So here are my two:

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

dinuguan.jpg

DINUGUAN-pork blood stew with intestine

That looks like diarrhea stew. NASTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i certainly wouldn't eat it, and I wouldn't dare touch it with a ten foot pole
    That means more for me then!:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • MissNothing130
    Options
    I'm vegetarian so I eat really basic things, but my appetite is 100% gone after those pictures. I think that's me set for a good 24 hours...
    Sorry if you take this offensively but how can you eat something that has been boiled alive? [I googled that **** to find out what the hell it is exactly]. In my eyes, that's like eating an abortion/unborn baby. I really don't get it. Good for you that you can stomach that but no. I really can't figure this one out.
    Because it ain't alive anymore. Cows were alive before being butchered and so are pigs..................which now makes me think of bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

IDEA Fitness member
    As I said, I'm vegetarian so I find eating any form of meat kind of gross. Whether it be chicken, beef, pork, even fish. I dislike it. I'm fully ok with others eating meat as it is there body they're putting that into but I'm allowed my own personal opinion on the matter, just like yourself for liking such things. The reason this gets me quite iffy is because it is boiled alive, before it's even hatched, before it's had a chance to look at it's mother. I already said 'good for you that you can stomach that', which was me being serious, I wasn't being sarcastic. Good for you, most people wouldn't go within a 10 foot radius of that stuff so yeah, go you but me, personally? I find it repulsive. That's my opinion, just like it's yours to like it.

Also, I find your replies to some of these comments quite rude. I already stated I was vegetarian yet you still felt the need to put that last part. Some people are asking for it, by being very rude towards your lifestyle choice but I don't think my comment was particularly offensive. Plus, I already apologised if it came across that way but you still felt the need to be very obvious [and infantile] with your love for meat in a reply to my post, which, in my eyes, was uncalled for.
    You should really have expected some of these replies, considering you posted such graphic pictures so no need for any of it.
    Done with this thread.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,687 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian so I eat really basic things, but my appetite is 100% gone after those pictures. I think that's me set for a good 24 hours...
    Sorry if you take this offensively but how can you eat something that has been boiled alive? [I googled that **** to find out what the hell it is exactly]. In my eyes, that's like eating an abortion/unborn baby. I really don't get it. Good for you that you can stomach that but no. I really can't figure this one out.
    Because it ain't alive anymore. Cows were alive before being butchered and so are pigs..................which now makes me think of bacon!!!!!!!!!!!!MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

IDEA Fitness member
    As I said, I'm vegetarian so I find eating any form of meat kind of gross. Whether it be chicken, beef, pork, even fish. I dislike it. I'm fully ok with others eating meat as it is there body they're putting that into but I'm allowed my own personal opinion on the matter, just like yourself for liking such things. The reason this gets me quite iffy is because it is boiled alive, before it's even hatched, before it's had a chance to look at it's mother. I already said 'good for you that you can stomach that', which was me being serious, I wasn't being sarcastic. Good for you, most people wouldn't go within a 10 foot radius of that stuff so yeah, go you but me, personally? I find it repulsive. That's my opinion, just like it's yours to like it.

Also, I find your replies to some of these comments quite rude. I already stated I was vegetarian yet you still felt the need to put that last part. Some people are asking for it, by being very rude towards your lifestyle choice but I don't think my comment was particularly offensive. Plus, I already apologised if it came across that way but you still felt the need to be very obvious [and infantile] with your love for meat in a reply to my post, which, in my eyes, was uncalled for.
    You should really have expected some of these replies, considering you posted such graphic pictures so no need for any of it.
    Done with this thread.
    You asked a question. I answered quite unrudely. It might be that you just have thin skin.

IDEA Fitness member
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    You asked a question. I answered quite unrudely. It might be that you just have thin skin.

Even as a vegan, I'm with Ninerbuff here. He didn't really make any rude comments regarding vegetarianism, etc., just stated a fact - all animals raised for meat are alive at one point. Crabs and lobsters are boiled alive too, would you go up to someone and ask them "how they eat it"? I'd guarantee they'd all give you the same answer - "With butter."

Also, I can't really say that the photos are "graphic" - that's just what the food looks like. Western culture is really desensitized because we don't really like meat to look like animals - my co-workers here in China think Americans are silly for not serving meat dishes with heads/feet/etc. We may not agree/be willing to partake, but that's what food looks like in some parts of the world - don't be so sensitive.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Lard sandwich :)
  • jamja
    jamja Posts: 190
    Options
    Ewww
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Ewww

oh please! Don't knock it till you try it!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    No... I definitely wouldn't eat any part of that... but the duck embryo is pretty interesting! I guess it's just the biologist in me coming out. Didn't know it was considered food.