Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options

Replies

• flsunshine
    flsunshine Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    all i hear is people going on how disgusting- i would try it at least- im game for anything if it looks edible and that stew does look interesting and i like duck meat so send some my way
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I am kind of shocked at how rude people are being. Aren't we all adults here?

Seriously, who raised you to be so disrespectful towards another culture? It's what they eat, it's what they like. Lots of places eat "gross" things. What you consider normal is based on where you grew up and your culture. What you like to eat is based on where you grew up and what you were fed. Different places have different diets. Deal with it.

Being dramatic and saying "Omg, I just threw up and I lost my appetite" is so childish.

The title is "foods that you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch" is probably a HUGE hint that when you open up the thread it's going to be something that's "not normal".

This. Would you appreciate it if someone came up to you and started saying they were gonna throw up because your tofu is so gross? No. Everyone has different tastes and different cultures.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I personally can't imagine having to eat Balut but I would never hold against anyone who would want to! I'm sure every culture has something that others think odd or gross and they don't freak out about it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    That duck embryo is not only disgusting but disturbing. I know it's a cultural thing, but THINK ABOUT IT...Which we should do with ALL the foods we eat...What it is, where it comes from, is it even real food? Reminds me of these good questions.

How is it different than eating a duck egg, or a fully grown duck?
    Well, personally, I don't eat ducks or their eggs so I don't really know how to answer your question..And that really wasn't the point anyway...

Then chicken eggs vs broiler chickens, caviar vs salmon steaks, coriander vs cilantro... Of course it's real food, why wouldn't it be?
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I like the ketchup.
    I know, I am like you...Was expecting something else not full colour pics of a duck embryo before being eaten...
  • YummyTpn
    Options
    That duck embryo is not only disgusting but disturbing. I know it's a cultural thing, but THINK ABOUT IT...Which we should do with ALL the foods we eat...What it is, where it comes from, is it even real food? Reminds me of these good questions.

Well, personally, I don't eat ducks or their eggs so I don't really know how to answer your question..And that really wasn't the point anyway...

Then chicken eggs vs broiler chickens, caviar vs salmon steaks, coriander vs cilantro... Of course it's real food, why wouldn't it be?
    I NEVER SAID THIS WAS NOT REAL FOOD!
    All I was raising was the point that we should be mindful of what we put in our mouths...ie, is diet coke real food?
  • YummyTpn
    Options

YOu are totally on a trip of your own...I didn't mean any of what you seem to think I did..Please reread my post..
  • TRIMoses59
    TRIMoses59 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I love MENUDO (BEEF TRIPE) with lime and cilantro. That's probably the most disgusting thing I'd eat and then there's liver. Not many people are willing to eat liver with a bunch of onions, but I am!

I wonder if anybody around here eats DOG. I wouldn't, but I like to threaten my chihuahua.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I'm going with Tofu.......most people cringe when they think of actually eating it......but if cooked right it's delicious!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I am kind of shocked at how rude people are being. Aren't we all adults here?

Seriously, who raised you to be so disrespectful towards another culture? It's what they eat, it's what they like. Lots of places eat "gross" things. What you consider normal is based on where you grew up and your culture. What you like to eat is based on where you grew up and what you were fed. Different places have different diets. Deal with it.

Being dramatic and saying "Omg, I just threw up and I lost my appetite" is so childish.

The title is "foods that you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch" is probably a HUGE hint that when you open up the thread it's going to be something that's "not normal".

Thank you! I was going to say something along these lines. I'm not much of a meat-eater, and would not try these items myself, but I'm always excited to learn about new foods. To me this kind of stuff is fascinating and I appreciate it being posted here. Keep an open mind, people!
  • LexxyV
    LexxyV Posts: 60 Member
    Options

I concur- how is it any different.. a duck is a duck is a duck
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    mmmm duck...
  • LexxyV
    LexxyV Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I love MENUDO (BEEF TRIPE) with lime and cilantro. That's probably the most disgusting thing I'd eat and then there's liver. Not many people are willing to eat liver with a bunch of onions, but I am!

I wonder if anybody around here eats DOG. I wouldn't, but I like to threaten my chihuahua.

My husband had kegogi ( dog meat) while stationed in Korea. He said it was tasty!
  • YummyTpn
    Options

I concur- how is it any different.. a duck is a duck is a duck
    It's not any different.
  • _Bro
    _Bro Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Makes me hungry!!

I would try it once. No guarantees about a second attempt :)
  • sunnyskyjb
    sunnyskyjb Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Due to the first post, I just became a vegetarian.

And I feel sad that I saw that.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I just threw up
    I'm with you, who would eat this!!!!
    Me and lots of other Filipino people. Don't knock the culture.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

yeah, some of you guys are being really rude! There are a lot of cultures that eat things that aren't something that we would, but that doesn't make us better in any regard. There are also some cultures that think eating fish is nasty because the fish swims in it's own urine and feces, so before you knock another culture, think about some of the foods that we eat that may be strange to them.

Along with that, a lot of cultures don't see how we Westerner's can eat anything deep fried. That's worse than a duck, IMHO.
  • threeforagirl
    Options
    I don't understand people freaking out over this stuff. I don't know if I would try it... depends on the smell of it (smell sensitive)... but I'm just not that squicky I guess.

I just realized it's been a while since I've eaten any of our 6 legged friends. I kind of like dried ants, grasshoppers, and grubs :)

I also remember when I was in elementary school one of our teachers brought these little fish that were dried with sea salt and nothing else on them. I really liked those.
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! If you grew up with it, it's common. My daughter tried it for the first time today (dinuguan) and loved it!

I would have the dinuguan but could not get past the duck embryo