Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options

Replies

• va_n_ok
    va_n_ok Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So uh where does this come from? Like culture wise? Mine is chitlins, but nobody round here has even tried them and I don't know how to cook them so I have only had them once. Plus they were drownded in hot sauce. Anyways u have me beat!
  • stewartcarden
    Options
    And i thought us Scots emjoying haggis was bad enough lol
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    When you go to Asia, there are a variety of cool foods to try and eat.
  • Liluth
    Liluth Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I've heard that balut is actually quite tasty. Like a roasted poultry kind of flavor. Unfortunately, I'm a very visual eater so anything that has a weird appearance or smell really turns me away.

I can't really think of anything particularly strange about my diet. I like lima beans and coconut which are almost universally despised in my family. I think they're just weird though ;).
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    And here I thought Sauerkraut or blood and tongue wurst would turn up a few noses. Not even close.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    All I can say is "each to their own".

I'm pretty adventurous with food and have tried Sweetbreads (testicles) lots of offal (kidneys, liver, brains, haggis etc), Crocodile, Kangaroo, Ostrich, Zebra, Antelope, Bison, Wildebeest, chicken feet, insects.

And I love love LOVE black pudding (cooked pigs blood made into a sausage shape) I could eat that allll day.

BUT- The duck foetus doesnt appeal to me. And I wouldnt eat Dog or guinea pig either.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I thought sweet breads is brains? No?
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Love this thread!

I travel a lot in Asia so I've eaten some really weird things. My rule is this: never ask what it is. Better to just eat and not know.

My current favorite "weird" food is bone marrow. I'm pretty sure most others on MFP wouldn't touch it, probably just because it's mostly fat. But I also love any and all organ meats. I'm a strange eater I think.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I find it hilarious that we actually have Balut in the database of foods here. @ 188 calories.. not too bad
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I cant belive you have posted that crap!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Love this thread!

I travel a lot in Asia so I've eaten some really weird things. My rule is this: never ask what it is. Better to just eat and not know.

My current favorite "weird" food is bone marrow. I'm pretty sure most others on MFP wouldn't touch it, probably just because it's mostly fat. But I also love any and all organ meats. I'm a strange eater I think.
    Yum

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It's not crap......................it's food that you're not familiar with.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ymhand
    ymhand Posts: 188
    Options
    I thought of this as I ate dinuguan today. So here are my two:

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

dinuguan.jpg

DINUGUAN-pork blood stew with intestine

Why did you do that?
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    It's not crap......................it's food that you're not familiar with.

IDEA Fitness member

Exactly. I'd argue that a lot of typical "American" junk/fast foods are much more crap than some of the things in this thread. How many ingredients in a twinkie?
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Ceviche & kimchi are two of my fave things to eat. My family wouldn't dare touch either one, but I've always tried new foods since I was little. I'd even try balut if given the chance. Oh... I've also eaten chitlins but it was years ago so I don't remember the taste. I'm a fan of bleu cheese. I've also tried durian and it's "ok"... not too bad but not my favorite thing ever.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    In Canada I eat Rabbit, oxtail and goat..... love it. In central america I eat ceviche and have even had raw tuna right after being caught. Unless it is liver I will probably eat it.
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    I thought sweet breads is brains? No?

Do you really want to know it's bull testicles? Actually other glands may be used but that is one of them.
  • jsteffen80
    Options
    I have a propensity to try extremely hot foods. I've even gone as far as eating whole red savina and orange habanero peppers (I haven't had the opportunity to try any of the hotter peppers, but would).

I have no problems killing my own meat, slaughtering pigs, field dressing deer, cutting intestines out of whatever and I'll eat any part of any animal... But I don't think I could eat a little baby duck. That makes me kind of sad.
  • Strobins05
    Options
    I thought of this as I ate dinuguan today. So here are my two:

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

dinuguan.jpg

DINUGUAN-pork blood stew with intestine

SERIOUSLY!!!