Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options

Replies

• Kohadre
    Kohadre Posts: 316
    Options
    No words can properly describe my disappointment at the duck embryo & goat fetus.
  • JuniperT
    JuniperT Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I like dinuguan but I really think it tastes odd with coconut milk in it. Otherwise it just tastes a bit like liver. I don't think I could try balut. Maybe to be polite.

I put black fungus in my tuna noodle casserole. Not sure what anyone else thinks of that.

What is black fungus?
  • babygurl48
    babygurl48 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    arcch!!!! gross!!!!!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Tripas and buche. Which is tripe and cheek meat, not butt cheek mind you. One of my tailors gave me squid jerky and I liked it too.
    Dang now I want a tortilla with buche and some salsa....
  • Tamstar1985
    Tamstar1985 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Here goes...

Duck blood soup (the blood is made into blocks like tofu, then cooked in a soup)
    Chicken or duck feet
    Pig intestine stuffed with more intenstine then roasted in a nice gravy
    Any kind of innards ;)

There's more, but maybe you lost your appetite already!
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I thought of this as I ate dinuguan today. So here are my two:

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

dinuguan.jpg

DINUGUAN-pork blood stew with intestine

I've tried both and love them :) Also have tried escargot in France, and fried crickets, silkworms, beetles, and other bugs in China. Chicken feet are one of my favorite foods. :happy:
  • Armygirl67
    Armygirl67 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    No words can properly describe my disappointment at the duck embryo & goat fetus.

Omg! I was just thinking to say the same thing.
    I don`t think i will ever eat any kind of meat ever again..
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :laugh: My Spinach Sandwich doesn't seem half bad now!!!
  • pandasand
    pandasand Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What is black fungus?

It's a kind of fungus that's used in Asian cooking alot. It's sold dry, you soak it and it expands. It grows in these big frilly masses. It doesn't really have any taste, but it's slightly crunchy. It's high in fiber and has some medicinal properties. I eat it all the time.

wood_ear_jew_s_ear_black_fungus.jpg
  • shnazzy
    shnazzy Posts: 213
    Options
    baulk baulk baulk !!!!!!!!
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I was expecting liver, hagus or something, but those pics were not the first thing that came to mind. Blech!
  • leilani♥
    Options
    I used to eat balut when I was 5... now that I'm older I can't imagine putting that in my mouth! lol!

I'll eat dinuguan ... but I really need to be in the mood for it..
  • leilani♥
    Options
    Kimchi :love: :heart:

ie: fermented cabbage with hot peppers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

I <3 KIMCHI
  • victoriashea
    Options
    That's rad! I used to love crickets. Cockroaches were good to.
    Now that I'm a vegan, I like to infuse my kikuchi with umiboshi. Can't get my family to touch it. I can't imagine why...
  • victoriashea
    Options
    Oh and kombucha. It's like Kool-Aid for yuppies.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I love to watch the show Bizzare Foods with Andrew Zimmern.....i saw him eat that duck thing on there and even he couldn't stomach it....but you can't be that judgemental...people in other countries could never even imagine eating a cow....I think the weirdest thing that i might have eaten carob brownies.....im not really an "experimental" person with things like that
  • tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'll spare everyone pictures. I grew up eating some lovely traditional food that might turn other people a little green. a few examples:
    fish ice cream (don't knock it. total comfort food)
    fermented seal flipper
    moose nose salad
    moosehead soup
    sauteed eels (divine!)
    maktuq (whale fat and skin together)

and there's many more on that theme. almost all are pretty high in calories and fat - we live in the arctic and subarctic, after all. need insulation! So I don't eat much of these anymore. I do miss them though!
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Snails in garlic-parlsey butter sauce
  • Hootsmamma
    Hootsmamma Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Not really sure WHAT I was expecting..but most definitely NOT this! Ugh! Sorry...I know it's really a cultural thing as you can eat anything that you ate when you grew up. Think that makes sense. I'm Hispanic, and I Love Menudo a soup made with hominy and tripe --(cow's stomach lining). it's really lovely, although I admit ..I don't eat the tripe (don't like to chew anything that chews back!). Not sure I could gag down either of your two choices (esp the Duck egg)-- it made me sad just to look at it! Interesting post though. Thank-you for sharing ...I think! :laugh: I was comtemplating a snack, but now I believe I'm no longer hungry!! Hey!...I think your post has just led me to a brilliant idea!---I'll save your pics and when I feel like eating or binging--just pull them up, and BAM! Hunger and Cravings are Gone!!! Just like Magic!! :sick: Thanks!!!
  • _Ben
    _Ben Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Id be much much more likely to eat the embryo than that stew. Never the less both look nasty, sorry