Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options

Replies

• redhead91
    Options
    This thread is a great appetite suppressant.

That's what I thought right away!! I have found balut disgusting!!!!!!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I like dinuguan but I really think it tastes odd with coconut milk in it. Otherwise it just tastes a bit like liver. I don't think I could try balut. Maybe to be polite.

I put black fungus in my tuna noodle casserole. Not sure what anyone else thinks of that.
    I don't think it would taste good with coconut milk in it either!
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I'd probably try the stew, but there is no earthly way I'd try the balut. I've heard of it and it just makes me cringe to even think about.

you definitely win the award if I'm judging.
  • hsk11270
    Options
    I think there are some things we as humans don't have to be told NOT to eat.....it just looks obvious
  • nomorefatbitch
    Options
    Um...I didn't get sick, but I can't see ever eating anything like that.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'd probably try the stew, but there is no earthly way I'd try the balut. I've heard of it and it just makes me cringe to even think about.

Lol, I'm sure my fellow Filipinos will step in and claim the same foods.
  • NotGoddess
    NotGoddess Posts: 1,198 Member
    Options
    My kids say cooked quinoa looks like maggots. They still eat it though.
  • unicornassassin
    unicornassassin Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Scrapple! Yummy. I am so glad a coworker convinced me to try it when I lived in Philly. I'd never heard of it before, it doesn't exist in the Midwest.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    EEEWW!!! No unborn babies for food. I do eat Bambi's dad with great pleasure though. Venison is very low in fat. I have also eaten rabbit, pheasant, elk , bear, raccon, squirrel, turtle, and many kinds of fish. My husband hunts for food and we have been to several wild game feeds. I have also eaten heart and my mom once pickled a cow's tongue. (weird) Ok, now I've grossed myself out.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I have seen both on cooking shows. I also think the blood pudding common in the UK is fairly gross and a large number of dishes that are made from whale blubber from Alaska. Since I am vegetarian, my foods mild. Tofu is not that daring compared to embryos and blood.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options

Lol, I'm sure my fellow Filipinos will step in and claim the same foods.

Lord, I didn't think about the culture. I work with some Filipino guys and now I'm going to have to ask them about it.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Kimchi :love: :heart:

ie: fermented cabbage with hot peppers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi
  • tristahenry
    Options
    LOL... great topic. I have had balut, not too bad but I definitely wouldn't eat it again. Most of the stuff I've eaten I couldn't tell you. I grew up with a Latvian and Filipino and their mom's always fed me and told me not to ask. Fish eyeballs was always the "guest honor" from the Filipino mom so I've eaten many out of courtesy. I never acquired the taste for blood puddings or the sort. I have eaten guinea pig, I love anticucho (cow heart) and I seek out scrapple every chance I get.
  • BrewerGeorge
    BrewerGeorge Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I used to be heavily into survivalist stuff (as an outdoor activity, not the buy machine guns and build a bunker types) and I've eaten a ton of crazy things. I have two categories - I'd eat it if I'm starving, and I'd eat it by choice.

I've not had balut, but I think it would have trouble even getting into my first category. :noway:

Basically, any street food in mainland Asia is pretty adventurous.
  • megan6709
    megan6709 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Wow, I used to think I was adventurous -- BTW smoked cows tongue cut thinly is delish and I will also eat metwurst and head cheese (German background, ya think? LOL).
  • chocolattahottie
    Options
    I just threw up

I love you and your quote...LMA0
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    EEEWW!!! No unborn babies for food. I do eat Bambi's dad with great pleasure though. Venison is very low in fat. I have also eaten rabbit, pheasant, elk , bear, raccon, squirrel, turtle, and many kinds of fish. My husband hunts for food and we have been to several wild game feeds. I have also eaten heart and my mom once pickled a cow's tongue. (weird) Ok, now I've grossed myself out.

Reminds me of kutti pi, an Anglo Indian dish of goat fetus...
    1_L_029_DSCF0001.JPG

I don't eat unborn animals, not even fertilized eggs. I don't eat cute little squirrels or turtles either.
    Oh yeah, and no intestines (what if there is still poop?). My husband is Jamaican and they made mannish water (goat head and intestine soup) to celebrate our wedding, hubby had to eat my share!

I do eat a lot of bison, lengua tacos (cow tongue) and movie theater popcorn (which many dieters shun)
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    omg that's like eating a little baby......

What I want to know is how you know what eating a baby is like in order to make that comparison. Hmmmm? Fess up now.
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    i don't think i have any D: btw i don't think i could ever be persuaded to try balut, but i distinctly remember researching recipes for dinuguan, and i can't remember why!

*sticks to the polvoron side of filipino cuisine* :P
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Reminds me of kutti pi, an Anglo Indian dish of goat fetus...
    1_L_029_DSCF0001.JPG

I don't eat unborn animals, not even fertilized eggs. I don't eat cute little squirrels or turtles either.
    Oh yeah, and no intestines (what if there is still poop?). My husband is Jamaican and they made mannish water (goat head and intestine soup) to celebrate our wedding, hubby had to eat my share!

I do eat a lot of bison, lengua tacos (cow tongue) and movie theater popcorn (which many dieters shun)
    I bet that goat is tasty!!