Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options

Replies

• JoDeeD
    JoDeeD Posts: 391
    Options
    Apparently I am tame too! I will try most things and am getting more adventurous. I won't try chitlings though. I love vinegar based things.
  • auctoritas
    Options
    Horse. I really like horse. Especially raw.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    Lard sandwich :)
    Ewww

oh please! Don't knock it till you try it!
    I'd try it. Probably like it too since I like to eat "real" fried pork skins.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    DURIAN!!

I don't know why but I think Westerners don't really like the smell.

Its pungent, heady smell is aromatic!! :DD
    :happy:
    I've heard of it, and apparently it smells like wet dirty socks. But heck, walk into a locker room and you get used to the smell.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    i regularly make bone stock. When it sets it's like meat jelly.
    It's very nutritious....
    I have to skim out the bones after 24 hrs of slow cooking.
    They disintegrate in your mouth......
    Is that bad? ( It's high in minerals esp. selenium)
    I've had this. It's good.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Sexi4eva
    Options
    Nasty!!!! Just Plain Nasty!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I was in the Marine Corps during the 80's and we went to the Phillipines quite frequently. It was a ritual when we went out in town to raise hell that we would always make the new guy eat Balut. So yes I have had it and surprisingly its not bad, the beak is a bit crunchy though.
    That's when you know you've eaten balut!

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Apparently I am tame too! I will try most things and am getting more adventurous. I won't try chitlings though. I love vinegar based things.
    Then you may like dinuguan (blood stew). We make it with vinegar.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    My 2 cents worth... The OP wanted to shock so it's a bit rich she gets on her high horse and expresses her upset with people being rude. No one is mocking the culture - just the fact you chose to call out with excitement your weird food fetishes...

9285851_6732.jpg
    Yup. She.

I also wouldn't call it a weird food fetish, it's a traditional dish. I would be interested in the dinuguan, but probably not the balut. I don't even like fried chicken with bones in it.
  • Cbandelier
    Cbandelier Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm no animal rights person, but the balut is incredibly cruel. I mean like psychopathic crazy cruel. I lived in the Philippines for a year, and I'm extremely glad I never got exposed to it.

Compared to the way that commercial chickens and other food animals are currently raised and slaughtered today, that little duckling's death seems pretty humane to me.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My 2 cents worth... The OP wanted to shock so it's a bit rich she gets on her high horse and expresses her upset with people being rude. No one is mocking the culture - just the fact you chose to call out with excitement your weird food fetishes...

9285851_6732.jpg
    Yup. She.

I also wouldn't call it a weird food fetish, it's a traditional dish. I would be interested in the dinuguan, but probably not the balut. I don't even like fried chicken with bones in it.
    When I was in my teens (with long hair) from the rear I was mistaken as a female many times because I was SO skinny. That was one of my motivations to start gaining weight and building muscle.

IDEA Fitness member
  • gigiangelique
    gigiangelique Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    This thread is a great appetite suppressant.
    yeah eww
  • YummyTpn
    YummyTpn Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    That duck embryo is not only disgusting but disturbing. I know it's a cultural thing, but THINK ABOUT IT...Which we should do with ALL the foods we eat...What it is, where it comes from, is it even real food? Reminds me of these good questions.

How is it different than eating a duck egg, or a fully grown duck?
    We are asked for our responses here and mine was that the images were disgusting and disturbing to me, personally. However, to each their own, I understand this is part of a culture and therefore I think anyone who wants to eat this should be free to do so.
    I was only expressing an opinion. I mean no disrepect. I know there are certainly things I do or eat that would seem disturbing and disgusting to those from other cultures...That's just the way it is.
    No reason for anyone to get their feathers in a knot...Pun intended!

I concur- how is it any different.. a duck is a duck is a duck
    It's not any different.

then not sure how it is disgusting and disturbing but hey maybe it's just me- this primal girl eats and loves her meat! Just because its a 'baby' makes it disturbing? Maybe I am a bit desynthesized to seeing such images as well- seen worse while working with my grandfather on his ranch from the time I was a small child.... shrugs
  • YummyTpn
    Options
    For all those grossed out about these foods, think about hot dogs and bologna. Real American food, made with what my Father in Law the Butcher called "Floor sweepings" ALL sorts of parts in there... It's just in what you know and are familiar with.

May have to make a run to Costco for a hot dog this week now...
    Amen to that!
    My friend took a food science course...A certain amount of insects are allowed in the production of weiners...Cheez Whiz is gray before food colourng is added to give it its orange colour...
    This is why we need to be mindful about what we put in our bodies, no matter what culture we are from. Some things are just not good and don't even qualify as "real" food. As repulsive as I find the baby duck, as a food it's probably healthier (depending on how it's raised/produced) than many of the foods we eat, like McDonald's chicken nuggets, for example!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    Great, I just ate my lunch...for a second time.
  • martalaurazayas
    martalaurazayas Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I actually wanted to try that from seeing those travel food shows, but somehow your "real" pictures made me change my mind. pooooor little chickieeeee.
  • YummyTpn
    Options
    I'm no animal rights person, but the balut is incredibly cruel. I mean like psychopathic crazy cruel. I lived in the Philippines for a year, and I'm extremely glad I never got exposed to it.
    I agree!
  • YummyTpn
    Options

Compared to the way that commercial chickens and other food animals are currently raised and slaughtered today, that little duckling's death seems pretty humane to me.
    This is true as well...I try to only buy meat (of the couple that I do eat) that is locally raised and treated humanely...Mass-produced meat is almost sure to be produced in a manner that is cruel and inhumane. If we refuse to buy this, maybe it can change...
  • Leigh_D
    Leigh_D Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I'm using Google Chrome for my browser, so as I read through the thread I highlighted ALL the foods I didn't know, right clicked and chose "search for ... ." What an education! I've known about Balut for years (not interested), but I love most all kinds of sausages, so Haggis, blood sausage, etc sound worth a try. I can't remember the name of one dish mentioned, but it sounds just like Spam or Meatloaf.

The french fries with cheese and gravy sound really yummy! From the description I read on Wikipedia, I think I would like Durian! I'm pretty sure I had Durian pudding for dessert at a restaurant, but I can not recall for certain. I LOVE tapioca pudding, but I have many friends who won't touch the stuff because it looks like snot! hahaha Ceviche sounds DELICIOUS. Like "South American Sushi" hahaha

Growing up, whenever we had pork chops I used to love trying to get the bit of marrow out of the bone. I heard of a Middle Eastern dish of fried marrow with lemon, garlic and tahini or something. That sounds amazing!
    I'm curious. All of us "Westerners" are grossed out by foods from other cultures. Are there any Western foods that gross out people from other cultures?
    ^^^ yeah! I'd love to know. I've "heard" that (some? most?) Asian cultures think it's very strange that Americans eat carrots. They consider it animal feed.

Thanks for the education and broadening my horizons! (Lard has less saturated fat than butter?! I might just try that on my toast! LOL)
  • NicoWoodruff
    NicoWoodruff Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My friend brought home some Durian cakes from an Asian grocery. They looked like little gingerbreads and didn't smell bad to me so I tasted it. It was the most disgusting thing I've ever tried lol, I thought I would die. I've read people saying it's like sweaty gym socks or, wiki says "like french kissing your dead grandma" lol.. which I can confirm. It tasted to me like licorice if licorice had died a terrible rotten death lol, and I don't even like licorice itself.

But of the people we had sample it, men seemed to like it more than women for the most part. The people who liked it said it tasted "meaty". I was the only one who felt it was like bad licorice but other people who didn't like it also said "like something rotten" lol.

It was actually really funny the faces we all made who didn't like it. :noway: