Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options

Replies

• steve81872
    steve81872 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So if that made me puke can I subtract the calories?
  • MakingAChoice
    MakingAChoice Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Too funny, Balut was a common snack in the Philippines when we (Marines) would get drunk. Can't say that I have eaten them since being back in the US though. The other one sounds interesting, but I have never heard of it. I am a very 'adventurous' person when it comes to foods. I will try things that make most people freak out - hehe I am all about trying cultural foods though, especially if I am in another country.
  • Alloranx
    Alloranx Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I worked with several Filipinos a month or so ago and they brought in Dinuguan for lunch and made me try some - honestly, it was pretty good, though the flavor is a little overpowering. I'd eat it again. They told me about Balut too but didn't ever bring any. Not sure if I would have been able stomach that or not. They took me to a local Filipino restaurant one day that they said was almost as good as home, and I actually liked almost everything there except the Ox tail (the peanut butter sauce was a little too odd tasting for me). It wasn't awful, just not as good as everything else there.
  • jess_austin
    Options
    What does a duck embyro taste like?
  • fragilegift
    fragilegift Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My choices are fairly tame, sticking to liver, kidneys, and black pudding. :yawn:
  • ritajean3
    ritajean3 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Honestly all I can think of is bin told in some other countries don't clean out their tripe ect it turns up to the restaurant with the poo in it and some chefs can't be bothered to clean it. Hmmmm

I eat shredded cabbage smothered in vinegar and I have started to buy kangaroo because it is cheaper than cow. Not to disgusting at all really
  • Cdcaldwe
    Cdcaldwe Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I like deer heart and liver. I eat hot sauce on everything. Balut I would like to try if it was someone that knew how to prepare it.
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Not quite as weird as the duck baby, but my own personal taste - I eat a jar of pickled cockles then drink the juice left :drinker: :love:
  • Janworkingitout
    Janworkingitout Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Tripas and buche. Which is tripe and cheek meat, not butt cheek mind you. One of my tailors gave me squid jerky and I liked it too.
    Dang now I want a tortilla with buche and some salsa....

Wow, you have your own tailor...I'm think I'm jealous!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Here goes...

Duck blood soup (the blood is made into blocks like tofu, then cooked in a soup)
    Chicken or duck feet
    Pig intestine stuffed with more intenstine then roasted in a nice gravy
    Any kind of innards ;)

There's more, but maybe you lost your appetite already!
    Now that's something I need to try!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'll spare everyone pictures. I grew up eating some lovely traditional food that might turn other people a little green. a few examples:
    fish ice cream (don't knock it. total comfort food)
    fermented seal flipper
    moose nose salad
    moosehead soup
    sauteed eels (divine!)
    maktuq (whale fat and skin together)

and there's many more on that theme. almost all are pretty high in calories and fat - we live in the arctic and subarctic, after all. need insulation! So I don't eat much of these anymore. I do miss them though!
    Are you Inuit? I've heard of eating fermented fish head, but I myself may never try it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Kimchi :love: :heart:

ie: fermented cabbage with hot peppers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

I like this but oh man is it spicy!! A friend at work asked me to try it but didn't mention the heat so I was not prepared. Once you get past the heat though it's pretty good. But all afternoon at work people were complaining they thought there was a sewer leak in the building. I guess maybe it's like ramps and you can't smell it if you eat it because I didn't notice a smell. But even people on other floors of the building complained. :laugh:
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Kimchi :love: :heart:

ie: fermented cabbage with hot peppers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchi

I <3 KIMCHI

I would love to try Kimchi as it is a probiotic which is extremely stressed on the diet I'm on. As for the other stuff....well I'll just say I shouldn't have looked at this thread right after breakfast. :sick:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I worked with several Filipinos a month or so ago and they brought in Dinuguan for lunch and made me try some - honestly, it was pretty good, though the flavor is a little overpowering. I'd eat it again. They told me about Balut too but didn't ever bring any. Not sure if I would have been able stomach that or not. They took me to a local Filipino restaurant one day that they said was almost as good as home, and I actually liked almost everything there except the Ox tail (the peanut butter sauce was a little too odd tasting for me). It wasn't awful, just not as good as everything else there.
    The Oxtail in peanut butter stew in called Kare kare and is one of my favs!! BTW all the foods I mentioned are in the food menu here on MFP!

kare_kare.jpg
  • leilani♥
    Options
    The Oxtail in peanut butter stew in called Kare kare and is one of my favs!! BTW all the foods I mentioned are in the food menu here on MFP!

kare_kare.jpg

UMMM Yummy!!!! /want
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I like dinuguan but I really think it tastes odd with coconut milk in it. Otherwise it just tastes a bit like liver. I don't think I could try balut. Maybe to be polite.

I put black fungus in my tuna noodle casserole. Not sure what anyone else thinks of that.

What is black fungus?

I''ve seen it at an Asian market but never tried it. It looked similar to other mushrooms.
  • TheOddOne
    TheOddOne Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Wow. I was gonna say Krispy Kreme donuts.
  • jersey0725
    jersey0725 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    What is black fungus?

It's a kind of fungus that's used in Asian cooking alot. It's sold dry, you soak it and it expands. It grows in these big frilly masses. It doesn't really have any taste, but it's slightly crunchy. It's high in fiber and has some medicinal properties. I eat it all the time.

wood_ear_jew_s_ear_black_fungus.jpg
    Yes! We do eat it a lot in China. Lots of nutritions though! It's really good!
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Wow, I used to think I was adventurous -- BTW smoked cows tongue cut thinly is delish and I will also eat metwurst and head cheese (German background, ya think? LOL).

I come from German parents, and don't eat most of that stuff...HOWEVER.. I do like hogma (stuffed pig stomach) YUM! :)
  • KavemanKarg
    Options
    Karg like da french head cheese, mmm good use of da pig head there!