Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Wow. I was gonna say Krispy Kreme donuts.
    Lol, I'd eat those in a heart beat.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

BALUT- duck embryo

There was a fantastically funny TV show in the UK last year with Ricky Gervais called Idiot Abroad where this dish was shown during a visit to China.

One food I had a couple of years ago in Ireland was carpaccio of oisin (pronounced “osheen”), which was basically thin slices of raw young wild red deer. Horrible to think of eating Bambi raw but it was absolutely delicious - melted in the mouth like butter. Haven't had it since as it's sooooo expensive, but would eat it again in a shot (I like all my meat bloody - hate it when a good piece of meat is ruined by overcooking).
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've ever eaten anything particularly "gross" yet, but I would like to try everything on this website

http://www.exoticmeatsandmore.com/

Most especially alligator, snake, kangaroo, and lion.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

Yeah mine was going to be 'mcdonalds'. LOL I am not an adventurous eater. I plan to eat eggplant for the first time ever next week. I can't even look at some of the pictures posted on this thread. LOL
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I would eat anything first, then tell me what it is after.
    If I know what it is I would have a hard time stomaching it. xD
  • Apryl546
    Apryl546 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    I would eat anything first, then tell me what it is after.
    If I know what it is I would have a hard time stomaching it. xD
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I drink buttermilk with salt and pepper. Yumm!

So, question here, do you eat the baby duck whole?
  • SunSand76
    SunSand76 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    That actually just depressed me :(
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My daughter and I drink buttermilk with salt and pepper. Yumm!

So, question here, do you eat the baby duck whole?
    Yep! Crunching bones and all!
  • LuLuRunner1
    LuLuRunner1 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    This thread is a great appetite suppressant.

I agree! :sick:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yeah mine was going to be 'mcdonalds'. LOL I am not an adventurous eater. I plan to eat eggplant for the first time ever next week. I can't even look at some of the pictures posted on this thread. LOL

I don't think I've seen anything on this thread that I wouldn't try over McDonald's. I have eaten and liked some fast food, but I do not understand McD. Their food is just nasty.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options

I don't think I've seen anything on this thread that I wouldn't try over McDonald's. I have eaten and liked some fast food, but I do not understand McD. Their food is just nasty.

Okay, but keep in mind that some of us grew up on McDonalds, hamburger helper, frozen pizza etc so it's what we know (yes there were homecooked meals too, but as a kid you gravitate towards the things that you think taste the best b/c you don't know about whole foods, raw foods, health benefits etc). You don't know how hard it is for some of us to break those habits and try to gear ourselves toward more healthy foods. For me, eggplant is a huge stretch - I've never had it but I'm planning to make a dish with it this week. That's how foreign this whole healthy food concept is to some of us. A lot of us are used to 'mainstream' foods that while YES they are not particularly healthy, it is what we are used to and what we are trying to make better choices from.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Okay, but keep in mind that some of us grew up on McDonalds, hamburger helper, frozen pizza etc so it's what we know (yes there were homecooked meals too, but as a kid you gravitate towards the things that you think taste the best b/c you don't know about whole foods, raw foods, health benefits etc). You don't know how hard it is for some of us to break those habits and try to gear ourselves toward more healthy foods. For me, eggplant is a huge stretch - I've never had it but I'm planning to make a dish with it this week. That's how foreign this whole healthy food concept is to some of us. A lot of us are used to 'mainstream' foods that while YES they are not particularly healthy, it is what we are used to and what we are trying to make better choices from.
    Healthy scmealthy................health is more dependent on how your body works, not just what you eat. Healthy eating doesn't ensure health.
    I can buy balut here in the US at almost any Asian market. In fact, I'm going to have some this week!!! MMMMMMMMMMM protein.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I can buy balut here in the US at almost any Asian market. In fact, I'm going to have some this week!!! MMMMMMMMMMM protein.

How is it sold? Canned, frozen, dried, still in the egg? And if not sold already prepared, how do you prepare it? Just curious.

I think I'd be more inclined to try this than the blood/intestine thing. Chitterlings (pig intestines) are semi-common where I come from but I've never tried them because I don't trust anyone to clean them properly and I don't want to do it myself. I've seen them at the store frozen and labelled "ultra clean" (which always makes me wonder "as opposed to what?!?!?) but still not sure I trust the company to have the same definition of "ultra clean" that I would.
  • hamton
    hamton Posts: 245
    Options
    I've eaten balut a couple of times just because my elders eat them. I prefer to eat them when they are younger with no fur or feather on them. When they get older, you can taste the fur and bones. You have to eat them in one bite. Kind of like eating sushi.

I see them sold in Asian markets out in the open. Kind of like how you buy eggs but I don't think it's refrigerated though.

I would eat just about anything like the embryo goat minus the flies. They don't look to tasty.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

How is it sold? Canned, frozen, dried, still in the egg? And if not sold already prepared, how do you prepare it? Just curious.

I think I'd be more inclined to try this than the blood/intestine thing. Chitterlings (pig intestines) are semi-common where I come from but I've never tried them because I don't trust anyone to clean them properly and I don't want to do it myself. I've seen them at the store frozen and labelled "ultra clean" (which always makes me wonder "as opposed to what?!?!?) but still not sure I trust the company to have the same definition of "ultra clean" that I would.
    Sold still in the egg. You just have to heat it up with boiled water. You can buy a dozen if you like. Taste like duck soup to me.
  • tkacomet
    tkacomet Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I'll spare everyone pictures. I grew up eating some lovely traditional food that might turn other people a little green. a few examples:
    fish ice cream (don't knock it. total comfort food)
    fermented seal flipper
    moose nose salad
    moosehead soup
    sauteed eels (divine!)
    maktuq (whale fat and skin together)

and there's many more on that theme. almost all are pretty high in calories and fat - we live in the arctic and subarctic, after all. need insulation! So I don't eat much of these anymore. I do miss them though!
    Are you Inuit? I've heard of eating fermented fish head, but I myself may never try it.
    No, I'm "white" i.e. european descent, but born and raised rural Alaskan. I grew up eating foods that are traditional to the Deg Hit'an Athabascan culture mostly, because that's where I grew up. Athabascans are American Indians. I've also lived on the north coast, though, which is Inupiaq country. That's where I had maktuq and seal. Inupiaqs are eskimos, and closest related to Inuits. Inuits are Canadian.

I've never had a fermented fish head, though we used to eat what is called "kuaq" - which basically means super fresh. meaning - raw! and fish kuaq is often eaten cold, fresh from the water, and can include heads. I always avoid things with heads. I don't like them looking at me... :huh:
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I'm surprised I forgot about this until now. LUTEFISK! I've only had it once, and hated it, so it's not really a food I eat regularly. However, I am subjected to its smell every year for my college's traditional Norwegian Christmas Fest.

It's basically fish fermented in lye and served drowning in butter. It smells horrible, tastes bland, and has the texture of a wet diaper.

lutefisk.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Oh man, I'm surprised I forgot about this until now. LUTEFISK! I've only had it once, and hated it, so it's not really a food I eat regularly. However, I am subjected to its smell every year for my college's traditional Norwegian Christmas Fest.

It's basically fish fermented in lye and served drowning in butter. It smells horrible, tastes bland, and has the texture of a wet diaper.

lutefisk.jpg
    I've heard of this. I've seen it on Bizarre Foods too.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I had kare kare and dinuguan this past weekend at my FIL house when my BIL came to visit. Yum.