Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options

Replies

• amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? Did you forget what you posted? Telling someone, a human being, that they aren't deserving of respect because of what they choose to eat is both immature and sad.

No. What's sad is taking pleasure in the torture and death of another sentient being.

Uhh.. Not to be embarrass you...but do you know what those words you just used actually mean?

I guess she needs to take a course in biology, assuming she knows what "sentient" means.

Clearly she doesn't.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options
    Are you serious? Did you forget what you posted? Telling someone, a human being, that they aren't deserving of respect because of what they choose to eat is both immature and sad.

No. What's sad is taking pleasure in the torture and death of another sentient being.

Uhh.. Not to be embarrass you...but do you know what those words you just used actually mean?

I guess she needs to take a course in biology, assuming she knows what "sentient" means.

Clearly she doesn't.

She might...and if she does she REALLY needs a science lesson.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
  • shadowofyesterday
    shadowofyesterday Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Anyways, I'm not here to educate people. If you want to learn, google is your friend. If you want to bask in your own ignorance, that's not my problem. Bye.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    Anyways, I'm not here to educate people. If you want to learn, google is your friend. If you want to bask in your own ignorance, that's not my problem. Bye.

Ignorance is assuming your way is the only way.

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist."
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    People who are okay with boiling animals alive aren't deserving of respect.

How are we any diffrent from any other species that eats meat?

I have been to Africa, I saw a pride of lions take down a Giraffe. Trust me, it was not 100% dead when they started eating it. An amazing sight to be seen really.
    We just cook ours to death before we eat it.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    The most offally thing I have is chicken or pork pate or making poultry gravy out of the birds neck and sauteed giblets. However there are some pretty gross sounding delicacies here in the UK, jellied eels (a cockney thing bleurgh), tripe, steak and kidney pudding, liver and onions and of course black pudding (blood pudding, I've tried it a few times since you usually get it served with a full English breakfast but it's not my cuppa tea) I also was introduced by one of my Irish mate's to the concept of white pudding (savoury oatmeal sausage containing oatmeal, bread, suet (raw beef or mutton fat) and sometimes shredded pork.) ... actually I'd probably try that when I'm not restricting my cals lol.

Actually fish and pork cheeks are lovely too.

....I'm so glad the UK has more of a multi national cuisine influence nowadays lol thank god for immigration. :P
  • amwbox
    Options

No. You don't know what your talking about.

You said "sentient being". And feeling pain does not qualify anything as such. A sentient being refers to an organism with self awareness, who is able to to comprehend the *subjective* reality of the SELF, and to perceive on that basis. This all gets covered in any freshman level philosophy class.

Sentience when discussing a BEING is not the same as sentience when discussing merely the ability to sense. A worm is sentient, under that definition. But a BEING is sentient in an entire different sense.

And clearly...you had no idea of that basic truth.

You are apparently suffering a lack of education...while simultaneously running your ignorance up and flagpole for all to see, saluting it, and then bemoaning your inability to "teach" others.

Please don't try to "teach" anyone anything until you've at least learned the basics.
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    I have to admit that those dishes do look disgusting and I would never eat them in a million years, but I understand that different cultures find different things acceptable, so who are we to judge?

As for veganism..... I eat & drink a lot of vegan things, one of my favourite website to shop from is Vegan.co.uk - this is not because I'm vegetarian or vegan, it is because I'm lactose intolerant, but I’m also soya intolerant and have to limit my intake of that as well and avoiding lactose (I can and do have Lactofree dairy produce and it is very much like normal dairy produce).

There will always be vegans who justify their life choices as being for the benefit of all sentient beings (very Buddhist) and claim the moral high ground over us non-vegans, because we are satanic and evil; there will always be non-vegans who will think that vegans are morally deluded tree huggers, who should just eat a hamburger and get over themselves…. Lets agree to disagree!

The one thing I really don’t get with veganism and vegetarianism is Quorn, it was created accidentally in a science lab, it isn’t even food, it’s an experimental mishap…. If you eat Quorn, which is intentionally made to look like meat, smell like meat and taste like meat – why not just eat meat!?!

Anyway, I’m not here to pass judgement on anyone, nor to make derogatory comments to or about anyone, I’m simply saying that we’re all different….

Shadowofyesterday - you do not have the right to judge us meat eaters and should keep your controversial opinions to yourself, because to me it appears that you came on here to intentionally insight controversy, you know full well a majority of people won’t understand your ideology and that everything you say is going to cause someone to bite back, so you really need to think about what you type and if you really do care about sentient beings, like you claim to - you should extend your compassion beyond just avoiding killing and/or eating them, to being polite enough to not verbally attack them for not agreeing with your (what some might call) extreme views, plus if your respect is only earned through agreeing with you, then I’m afraid your respect isn’t really worth much anyway – the world is full or differences and your attitude really needs some serious refinement!

Everyone else – Swadowofyesterday has chosen a brave and difficult path, it is her choice, so why attack her for it; yes she has some slightly immature ways of dealing with criticism and maybe over time she will learn to handle them with grace and maturity; I fully admire her dedication and devotion to looking out for all sentient beings, it is a very noble path indeed and I sincerely hope she finds peace along the way; whether you agree or disagree with Shadowofyesterday is up to you guys, but at least show her compassion, it isn’t easy to be alone in a crowd, I only know one vegan (in person) and she too suffers a lot of criticism and gets told how dumb she is, but she has learned to handle it with maturity and most people come away from a conversation with her, feeling less threatened by her views and actually understand (to a degree) where she is coming from.

xXx
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    Neither myself or the other guy was criticizing her for being vegan. I criticized her for the rude post and we both pointed out her misuse of the term "sentient being".
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    I agree, you personally did not critise Shadowofyesterday for her veganism, but you have critised her for the misuse of a word that I use in the same way; I'm Buddhist and ALL living, feeling beings are sentient in Buddhist scriptures and physolophies (whichever one you choose to follow) so technically she has not misused the term, she may well be Buddhist (like myself) so therefore she is referring to the Buddhist Sentience, or she has found it on one of the many "how to be vegan" websites, either way she is not misusing the term....

*** Wikikpedia defenition***

Eastern religions - Including Hinduism, Buddhism, Sikhism, and Jainism recognize non-humans as sentient beings. In Jainism and Hinduism, this is closely related to the concept of ahimsa, nonviolence toward other beings. In Jainism, all matter is endowed with sentience; there are five degrees of sentience, from one to five. Water, for example, is a sentient being of the first order, as it is considered to possess only one sense, that of touch. Man is considered a sentient being of the fifth order. According to Buddhism, sentient beings made of pure consciousness are possible. In Mahayana Buddhism, which includes Zen and Tibetan Buddhism, the concept is related to the Bodhisattva, an enlightened being devoted to the liberation of others. The first vow of a Bodhisattva states: "Sentient beings are numberless; I vow to free them."

Animal welfare, rights, and sentience - Sentience in Buddhism is the state of having senses. In Buddhism, the senses are six in number, the sixth being the subjective experience of the mind. Sentience is simply awareness prior to the arising of Skandha. Thus, an animal qualifies as a sentient being.

In the philosophies of animal welfare and rights, sentience implies the ability to experience pleasure and pain. Animal-welfare advocates typically argue that any sentient being is entitled, at a minimum, to protection from unnecessary suffering, though animal-rights advocates may differ on what rights (e.g., the right to life) may be entailed by simple sentience. Sentiocentrism describes the theory that sentient individuals are the center of moral concern.

xXx
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    Confucius say:

One should never use Wikipedia as a source.

And no, I never said she was using the word wrong. I said if she knows what it means she should take a biology course. Science shows that animals are able to feel, not understand, pain. So yes, hurting an animal can be considered harsh, but it's natural to kill.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    This got derailed. Let me think of something else others aren't a fan of...

Bone marrow.
  • gettingsexy94
    gettingsexy94 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I thought of this as I ate dinuguan today. So here are my two:

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

dinuguan.jpg

DINUGUAN-pork blood stew with intestine

You win, hands down!
  • KxCoyote
    KxCoyote Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    To each their own. I won't judge, might taste good for all I know, but I don't think I'd ever try it.
    Best I got is squirrel and opossum stew I had once at a pot-luck, and no people, I don't live in the south!
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    I don't have pics 'cause I'm not in Japan at the moment but fish eyes in rice or uni are always novel.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    German pork blood sausage, especially smoked. LOVE it, grew up with it. I've eaten durian, too, tastes light, sort of like passion fruit and pineapple custard, once you get past the rotten-meat smell. And Limburger cheese, a delightful mild spreadable cheese..

What I find too disgusting....macaroni and cheese. Blaaagh!! The appearance, the texture.... ugh. Oh, tuna with mayo, absolutely gross.
  • amwbox
    Options
    I agree, you personally did not critise Shadowofyesterday for her veganism, but you have critised her for the misuse of a word that I use in the same way; I'm Buddhist and ALL living, feeling beings are sentient in Buddhist scriptures and physolophies (whichever one you choose to follow) so technically she has not misused the term, she may well be Buddhist (like myself) so therefore she is referring to the Buddhist Sentience, or she has found it on one of the many "how to be vegan" websites, either way she is not misusing the term....

She misused it as she intended it. The more general definition of the word doesn't apply to beings. Unthinking animals are not beings, because the condition of "being" is derived from personhood. Animals are "beings" in that they exist, not in that they are persons. Although, I realize I can be stepping into religious areas with this, and so I'll happily leave it at that.

She was mixing definitions in order to make an invalid point.

All respect to your post though. I don't have a problem with veganism as a lifestyle, but rather I have a problem with vegans claiming a moral high ground and being critical of others. Morality isn't universal, and can't be applied to other cultures or belief systems. The vast bulk of the world is not immoral because of what an infinitesimally small minority who call themselves vegans choose to believe.