Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options

Replies

• amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    This got derailed. Let me think of something else others aren't a fan of...

Bone marrow.

I dig bone marrow. Spreads nicely on toast. :D
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    Bone marrow - have to admit I've never tried it, so I can't knock it....

I used Wikipedia because all my Buddhist books and information is in paper form and I don't care enough to scan it all in and then copy and paste it onto here.... His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama uses the term sentient being, when referring to ALL living things.... Is Confucious calling him wrong or accusing him of misuse too I wonder!?!

It is in all beings (sentient or otherwise) nature to kill, if threatened and it is indeed a bit harsh, but that, I'm afraid is simply the cycle of life.... I tried vegetarianism, but I like bacon too much lol

Anyway, yes.... Food stuff I eat that others wouldn't - to be honest I'm a bit boring, I can't eat anything with lactose or soya in it, so my choices are seriously limited..... I did used to eat peanut butter and jam sandwhiches (my hubby says that is why I'm now lactose intolerant, because I poisoned myself).... Oh and I used to eat raw pastry when I was little, mum would roll it all out and cut off the scraps from the sides of the pie (or whatever she was making) and I would roll it up in a ball and eat it.... I grew out of that thanfully!!

Thanks for chatting with me TadaGanIarracht, it's been enlightening.... have a great day, wherever in the world you are

xXx
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    Hi Amwbox,

Religion and politics, never a subject to get into with someone lol :wink:

Anyway, other than bone maroow on toast (I'll reseve judgement as I said, never tried it, not sure I'd want to) what unusual food stuff do you eat?

xXx
  • heyhoneyxx
    heyhoneyxx Posts: 3
    Options
    This thread is a great appetite suppressant.

I feel you
  • sylviedroz
    sylviedroz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Jellyfish :) delicious!!!
  • sylviedroz
    sylviedroz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    German pork blood sausage, especially smoked. LOVE it, grew up with it. I've eaten durian, too, tastes light, sort of like passion fruit and pineapple custard, once you get past the rotten-meat smell. And Limburger cheese, a delightful mild spreadable cheese..

What I find too disgusting....macaroni and cheese. Blaaagh!! The appearance, the texture.... ugh. Oh, tuna with mayo, absolutely gross.

yes! durian as well! i remember my mum bringing home durian and setting it on a load of newspapers on the kitchen floor, then hacking it open, squatting, with a cleaver. Definitely an underestimated fruit :) and quite moreish as you get older
  • LC458
    LC458 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Hahaha! If you grew up with it, it's common. My daughter tried it for the first time today (dinuguan) and loved it!

Isn't the duck embryo like some delicacy?

It's okay I eat brussel sprouts and broccoli and actually like the taste of it. We all have a likes and dislikes. lol:love:
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I ate horse meat when I was a kid staying in France. I didn't know it was horse meat, there was this roast that showed up about three times a week. My parents had sent me alone to France to stay with this family, and I was a polite kid, so I ate what was put in front of me. I couldn't figure out what this meat was. It was moist, tender, tasted not quite like beef or chicken. Finally I asked "Que'est que ce?" and they proudly informed me it was "le chevaux!"

I didn't touch meat the rest of the time I was in France. I kept thinking, "I ate Black Beauty!" Maybe that's why I became a vegetarian four years later.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I ate horse meat when I was a kid staying in France. I didn't know it was horse meat, there was this roast that showed up about three times a week. My parents had sent me alone to France to stay with this family, and I was a polite kid, so I ate what was put in front of me. I couldn't figure out what this meat was. It was moist, tender, tasted not quite like beef or chicken. Finally I asked "Que'est que ce?" and they proudly informed me it was "le chevaux!"

I didn't touch meat the rest of the time I was in France. I kept thinking, "I ate Black Beauty!" Maybe that's why I became a vegetarian four years later.

I've eaten horse; butchered it myself ( 2 year old pony stallion, nasty little *kitten*, a habitual biter and kicker, wasn't much better as roast.) I breed, raise, train and ride Arabians and love horses, but I've known a few ( none of them Arabians, but all mishandled with bad attitudes) that would be better as meat. I don't care for the flavor but have no trouble at all with the concept.
  • TadaGanIarracht
    TadaGanIarracht Posts: 2,615 Member
    Options

Bone marrow.

Do you enjoy blue cheese?
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options
    Bone marrow - have to admit I've never tried it, so I can't knock it....

I used Wikipedia because all my Buddhist books and information is in paper form and I don't care enough to scan it all in and then copy and paste it onto here.... His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama uses the term sentient being, when referring to ALL living things.... Is Confucious calling him wrong or accusing him of misuse too I wonder!?!

It is in all beings (sentient or otherwise) nature to kill, if threatened and it is indeed a bit harsh, but that, I'm afraid is simply the cycle of life.... I tried vegetarianism, but I like bacon too much lol

Anyway, yes.... Food stuff I eat that others wouldn't - to be honest I'm a bit boring, I can't eat anything with lactose or soya in it, so my choices are seriously limited..... I did used to eat peanut butter and jam sandwhiches (my hubby says that is why I'm now lactose intolerant, because I poisoned myself).... Oh and I used to eat raw pastry when I was little, mum would roll it all out and cut off the scraps from the sides of the pie (or whatever she was making) and I would roll it up in a ball and eat it.... I grew out of that thanfully!!

Thanks for chatting with me TadaGanIarracht, it's been enlightening.... have a great day, wherever in the world you are

xXx

Nature kills for food as well.

As for using Wikipedia, I was just being a smartass since Wikipedia is not always accurate.

I enjoy debates and such, so thank you as well.
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options

Bone marrow.

Oh yes. To my detriment.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    file-6_1.jpg
    Pork tongue in mayo (works with beef too)
    DSC00124.JPG
    Breaded pork brain
    1087-0-piftie.jpg
    Pork jelly (works with beef too, I think)

Would totally try balut.

Bone marrow.
    So it does, so it does...
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,579 Member
    Options
    I have thick skin, so it takes alot to bother me. Some others might not take it that way. Just saying that if someone looked at you at your fattest and said "man that person is disgusting to be that fat" within ear shot, you probably wouldn't think that was okay. There is a such a thing as mutual respect.
    People who are okay with boiling animals alive aren't deserving of respect.
    While I respect your point of view, people who do it probably aren't begging for you to respect them. Kinda like when a member says to me "I want to hire you, but I'm letting you know now I refuse to do any burpees". My response is "That's fine. You probably need to hire someone else then."
    Not everyone values another's opinion as much as as the opiner thinks they do.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • TadaGanIarracht
    Options

Bone marrow.

Oh yes. To my detriment.

Okay, we can still be friends.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    I thought of this as I ate dinuguan today. So here are my two:

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

dinuguan.jpg

DINUGUAN-pork blood stew with intestine
    ive actually wanted to try balut for ahwile now. its considered a delicacy in the phillipenes no?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    file-6_1.jpg
    Pork tongue in mayo (works with beef too)
    DSC00124.JPG
    Breaded pork brain
    1087-0-piftie.jpg
    Pork jelly (works with beef too, I think)

Would totally try balut.

Bone marrow.
    So it does, so it does...
    I'd personally try the pork brain bun and pork jelly thing. Probably taste like SPAM which I love.:laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    Anyways, I'm not here to educate people. If you want to learn, google is your friend. If you want to bask in your own ignorance, that's not my problem. Bye.
    people like you are what give other vegetarians/vegans extremely bad reps.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I thought of this as I ate dinuguan today. So here are my two:

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

dinuguan.jpg

DINUGUAN-pork blood stew with intestine
    ive actually wanted to try balut for ahwile now. its considered a delicacy in the phillipenes no?
    Yes it is. Depending on where you live and what type of Asian grocery mart, you may just be able to pick it up there. Here on the west coast, they sell it in store just like regular eggs (in a carton).:laugh: Not cheap, but at least I can get hold of it without having to special order it if I want some.

IDEA Fitness member
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I like to layer cottage cheese, salsa and sliced almonds on top of a scrambled egg.... I get some weird looks when I make it at work. But from the looks of this thread, maybe I should start consuming dead baby ducks to REALLY get some looks in the lunch room :happy: