Foods you eat that others here probably wouldn't touch!!!

Options
1141516171820»

Replies

• chocl8grl
    chocl8grl Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    ewwwww_ea462e_404218.gif
  • toadg53
    toadg53 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I thought of this as I ate dinuguan today. So here are my two:

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

dinuguan.jpg

DINUGUAN-pork blood stew with intestine
    [/quote

You should go on Fear Factor
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I'd personally try the pork brain bun and pork jelly thing. Probably taste like SPAM which I love.:laugh:

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    The jelly tastes like pork soup (+/-) but has the consistency of jello. It used to be made by boiling the bad parts of the pig until the collagen broke down but nowadays most people just make soup and add gelatin.

I'd be hard pressed to compare brain to any other food, it's a bit salty, fatty and very soft but doesn't exactly taste fatty and doesn't have the consistency of cooked fat.
  • DCarter1701
    DCarter1701 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I ate horse meat when I was a kid staying in France. I didn't know it was horse meat, there was this roast that showed up about three times a week. My parents had sent me alone to France to stay with this family, and I was a polite kid, so I ate what was put in front of me. I couldn't figure out what this meat was. It was moist, tender, tasted not quite like beef or chicken. Finally I asked "Que'est que ce?" and they proudly informed me it was "le chevaux!"

I didn't touch meat the rest of the time I was in France. I kept thinking, "I ate Black Beauty!" Maybe that's why I became a vegetarian four years later.

I've eaten horse; butchered it myself ( 2 year old pony stallion, nasty little *kitten*, a habitual biter and kicker, wasn't much better as roast.) I breed, raise, train and ride Arabians and love horses, but I've known a few ( none of them Arabians, but all mishandled with bad attitudes) that would be better as meat. I don't care for the flavor but have no trouble at all with the concept.

I think it's maybe a cultural thing? I don't know where you're from; I was a little American girl and horses were always in the "pet" category, like cats and dogs, where I'm from. But it was explained to me that in France, they don't have the land neccessary to raise cattle, but horses are easier to raise for meat. When that family's daughter came to stay with us, she couldn't believe that we had steak once a week (on payday), and gobbled it down like she hadn't had beef in ages, then looked around for more! She didn't understand why I was so skeeved out by eating horse meat.
  • bciloveme2014
    bciloveme2014 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I love to eat liver or kidney tacos, or bbq tonge torta. I try the intestines because it smells good when my mother was cooking them, but could not. Never try the brain which my mother says its delicious!. Sometimes some food does not look very good but is delicious, and sometimes is the opposite. I love to try different food from different countries but real mexican food still my favorite.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Yummm.... I love balut! I haven't had that in a while.

My other favorite "weird" (ahem... normal for me) foods:
    - Japanese natto beans (fermented, slimy, potent)
    - Silkworm cocoons (stir fried, of course)
    - Congealed pork blood
    - Blood sausage
    - Vietnamese raw blood soup (from ducks)
    - Sea snails (childhood favorite)
    - Durian (some people find this offensive to their nose but I love it!)
    - Intestines, hearts, kidneys, liver (!!!)

There's probably more... I can eat anything. :D
  • tanishabearr
    tanishabearr Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    So I just had lunch and this made me a little nauseous. Mine was (when I was little) Blutwurst which sounds gross-ish to me a decade later haha
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,581 Member
    Options
    Yummm.... I love balut! I haven't had that in a while.

My other favorite "weird" (ahem... normal for me) foods:
    - Japanese natto beans (fermented, slimy, potent)
    - Silkworm cocoons (stir fried, of course)
    - Congealed pork blood
    - Blood sausage
    - Vietnamese raw blood soup (from ducks)
    - Sea snails (childhood favorite)
    - Durian (some people find this offensive to their nose but I love it!)
    - Intestines, hearts, kidneys, liver (!!!)

There's probably more... I can eat anything. :D
    High 5!!! Asian cusine just freak people out. I had a friend try a dish and say "This is good. What's it called?" I told him is was adobo. Then he asked what was in it. I said "Adobo means short for a doberman.":laugh: :laugh: :laugh: He put the plate down right away and I told him I was joking, but he didn't finish it.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jodyblanchard
    jodyblanchard Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I thought of this as I ate dinuguan today. So here are my two:

balut.jpg

BALUT- duck embryo

dinuguan.jpg

DINUGUAN-pork blood stew with intestine

I would say you win and this needs to go no further.
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Ooooh I forgot to add, my older brother's "frogs skin dish" after making some Vietnamese caramelized frogs legs. Frogs legs are yum but the skin.... Now that was weird... even for me.
  • brenda213
    brenda213 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I love cabeza tortas so good its a mixture of beef tongue, cheeks, and lips you put all the meat inside a bolillo.
  • hallo_spacedog
    hallo_spacedog Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Dinuguan looks good. I will have to try it one day.

I like all the normal offal, beef heart, liver, sweetbreads, also stomachs (4th stomach is my favorite).
    Bull testicles.
    Whelks.
    Ika no shiokara (fermented squid guts, it smells really bad)
    Marrow.
    Horse sashimi.
    Whale meat/dolphin meat (sorry =P).
    Chicken sashimi.
    Any time you can eat whole fish with bones and eyes and guts and all.

...Basically anything.
  • gingabebe
    gingabebe Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Rocky Mountain oysters, my grandma had a plate of yummy looking somethings on a plate and I wanted one. I knew something was going on when everyone tittered and asked "how'd you like those?" - not much, texture was weird.

I don't know if they still do it, but there is a local pizza place that makes a pizza with cicadas on it whenever they happen to come out of the ground. I would try it.

I do eat hot dogs occasionally and my family jokes saying they are made from "lips and **sholes- I don't know about that but I know a guy that used to work at a place that made them and he won't touch them now!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Anyways, I'm not here to educate people. If you want to learn, google is your friend. If you want to bask in your own ignorance, that's not my problem. Bye.
    people like you are what give other vegetarians/vegans extremely bad reps.

Amen to that.

I don't eat a lot of odd foods since most of them seem to be meat. I sometimes eat canned fried wheat gluten though. lol
    I also had this fake meat that I swear looked like I had just dumped out a can of dog food. It tasted good though but man was it ugly!
  • Yagisama
    Yagisama Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I could never eat balut. Not just because it's vile and disgusting looking, but because I wouldn't want to eat that poor little ducking. :(

I've always joked that if I had to live in most Asian countries, I'd become vegetarian right away and just save myself the trouble. The silver lining to that would be that I wouldn't have to worry as much about being overweight.

Thankfully, the only country in Asia that I have stayed in and will ever need to move to is Japan since my wife is Japanese. I can deal with natto. Thankfully I can manage most Japanese food. China or Vietnam? I'll be a vegetarian right away. My favorite food in Taiwan was steamed buns with no filling.

Edit: We'll probably have a side trip to Korea again this year. Korea is the only other country besides Japan that I can handle in Asia. Bring the Galbi, Bulgogi, and bibimbap !! :drinker:
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I ate horse meat when I was a kid staying in France. I didn't know it was horse meat, there was this roast that showed up about three times a week. My parents had sent me alone to France to stay with this family, and I was a polite kid, so I ate what was put in front of me. I couldn't figure out what this meat was. It was moist, tender, tasted not quite like beef or chicken. Finally I asked "Que'est que ce?" and they proudly informed me it was "le chevaux!"

I didn't touch meat the rest of the time I was in France. I kept thinking, "I ate Black Beauty!" Maybe that's why I became a vegetarian four years later.

I've eaten horse; butchered it myself ( 2 year old pony stallion, nasty little *kitten*, a habitual biter and kicker, wasn't much better as roast.) I breed, raise, train and ride Arabians and love horses, but I've known a few ( none of them Arabians, but all mishandled with bad attitudes) that would be better as meat. I don't care for the flavor but have no trouble at all with the concept.

I think it's maybe a cultural thing? I don't know where you're from; I was a little American girl and horses were always in the "pet" category, like cats and dogs, where I'm from. But it was explained to me that in France, they don't have the land neccessary to raise cattle, but horses are easier to raise for meat. When that family's daughter came to stay with us, she couldn't believe that we had steak once a week (on payday), and gobbled it down like she hadn't had beef in ages, then looked around for more! She didn't understand why I was so skeeved out by eating horse meat.
    [/quote

I'm an American, lived in Michigan all my life.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Balut and dinuguan smell and taste so delicious. If you are a meat eater and you were blindfolded you would be amazed. Horse meat sausages also wonderful. So sad that they no longer butcher (properly and humanely) horses in the USA. Horses used to have an intrinsic value of around $250 for their meat at auction. Now an old unwanted horse is either abandoned and left to starve or sent to market and shipped to Mexico where they are worked to death with no laws to protect them until they drop dead and then they are eaten. I know the bleeding hearts who pushed to end horse for meat didn't intend that to happen but it did. Breaks my heart when I think about it. Every zoo in the USA has to ship horse meat from Canada, which costs a fortune.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,581 Member
    Options
    Eating dinaguan and balut TODAY at my cousins college graduation family/friends celebration!!!!

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• kaniob
    kaniob Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Balut looks interesting. I'd probably try it.

"Weird" Things I've eaten:
    -racoon (BBQ'd)
    -goat (killed and grilled)
    -crocodile (kabobs)
    -kudu (stew)
    -impala (steak)
    -duiker (slow roasted a leg purchased from a man hauling it in a suitcase on his bicycle)
    -bush baby (boiled then fried with tomatoes)
    -flying termites (right out of the ground or fried)
    -caterpillars (fresh and fried is best, dried is ok)
    -munkoyo (maize meal drink fermented with munkoyo root)
    -chibuku (fermented maize beer)