**CLOSED SKINNY CHICS & A ROOSTER CLIMB THE SEVEN SUMMITS CH

Options

Replies

• RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I have to say it's really nice seeing everyones introductions (again) - each month I learn something new about each of you.

I'm thinking about printing this fancy spreadsheet out so I can keep it with me all day - I'm afraid I'm going to forget what I did during my day -- there are so many fun activities! I did 100 squats while I was blow drying my hair this morning. I guess it will be a regular thing for my kids to see me acting crazier than usual.
  • Ziggie13
    Options
    Well, I just got done signing up at the YMCA and now really ready for the October challenge. I have everything I need to try every mountain. I have a pool, spin class, exercise machains, strength training machains and most of all...zumba classes. :bigsmile: Im starting Friday night. I have my meeting tonight and weigh-in so talk to you all later.
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile::bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Hello my Sisters and my Brotha!

It's Becky... I'm 36 and from Montana. I am a social worker by profession... but it really is such a signifcant part of who I am, or rather who I am made it significant to find a way to help others and social work found me. I started on here at the end of December last year and have to date released about 94.8 pounds into the universe. Again, gotta find a way to help others so I am hoping that those pounds find their way to someone who actually needs them! :laugh: I have kinda pushed the word "release" or "released" to others because in all honesty - I'm not losing them. That, to me, insinuates that I will be looking for them and that, I am not! So - out to the Universe with them.

I am so excited about this challenge and think that JJ did a great job with it... you were inspired by something and took it and ran. Not many can turn thoughts/dreams into action, but you did - and that's awesome! Thanks for the kudos, I do acknowledge and accept that the spreadsheet was off to a great start, Cyndi has really taken it over the top! I am really excited about getting to help you with some of the ideas and am glad that what input I had proved to be helpful. So thank you for your acknowledgement, I am gonna OWN it! Cyndi - the spreadsheet ROCKS!! You are so talented and dedicated... and persistent! I love that about you! (see, that would have been an easy 35 feet up the summit!)

I have some big goals for the challenge... with the most up front being to GET MY HEAD IN GEAR!! :noway: :huh: :ohwell: I know, I know... you all THOUGHT it was gonna be about that elusive 1-0-0 mark, didn't ya?!? :wink: Don't worry... that is definately in the picture, but figured that if I get my head on straight then the 3-digit club membership with simply follow along! :laugh:

I have some BIG trips coming up and BIG projects in the works... so this challenge will help me with staying focused. You all know me -- I am the crazy lady doing things to midnight the last night if I have to. I hate to lose, hate, hate, HATE it... so when I take on a challenge, I want to accomplish it!

:huh: :huh: Bit of a small request here - please remember to weigh-in and measure-in on October 1, 2011. You do NOT have to post those numbers, we just want to watch and see the changes over the month. We asked last month for everyone to do a starting weight and at least their chest/bust, waist, and hips... encouraged to also do right arm and right thigh. Again, it's so powerful to see what we accomplish as a group - so please play along with this. Log it into MFP so that you have those numbers! And remember to go back to the Triathalon Challenge and post the changes...

And finally, I am hopeful that everyone will REALLY try to work through this challenge start to finish... if you look back, we kinda dropped off in the last challenge (and yes, sigh now, I am inserting a stern voice and serious look). What this tells me is that there ARE easy to see reasons why we all ended up on a thread for people who started with 100 or more pounds to release! We need to stay focused, disciplined and consistent... not start something and not even be able to follow through on those things through the next 30 days!

Finally... my inspiration for this challenge is really picturing all of us on a summit, hand in hand, arms/hands up in the air... turning and looking at each other as we watch the sun go down... laughing, crying, cussing, inspiring, sharing, listening... There we are! Do you see us? Do you see the sun gong down?!? Can you feel your sister's or brother's hand in yours? We are there... together... successful! That's my inspiration! :bigsmile:
  • erh20000plus
    erh20000plus Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hoping it isn't too late to sign up. I need something to get moving again.

My name is Eileen. I am 36 years old from Illinois. I am certified project management professional by trade. I have been a member of MFP since July of this year.

JJ - You have done a fantastic job with this challenges. Kudos to you!
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Hoping it isn't too late to sign up. I need something to get moving again.

My name is Eileen. I am 36 years old from Illinois. I am certified project management professional by trade. I have been a member of MFP since July of this year.

JJ - You have done a fantastic job with this challenges. Kudos to you!

I already signed you up Eileen. Just to protect you from Becky. She has been shanghai-ing people into this challenge and its gotten ugly a couple of times and I didn't want that to happen to you. :wink: Seriously though, I knew you were just back from your amazing vacation (that I am still waiting to hear about!) and were behind but would want to do this. Welcome!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    So, my question is when are we going to get to see this masterpiece of a spreadsheet??? I mean, are we going to wait until tomorrow to see how it works?
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Poor Cynthia has been burning the midnight oil, between this spreadsheet and Becky's graphic. She is putting the finishing touches on it and we will hopefully have it up to peruse soon along with a "cheat sheet" for each mountain.

It IS a masterpiece, she and Becky have done such an amazing job, well beyond my wildest dreams. Can't wait until we can show it to all of you!

So, my question is when are we going to get to see this masterpiece of a spreadsheet??? I mean, are we going to wait until tomorrow to see how it works?
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I'm ready - bring it on - Go HONEY BADGERS!!! Oops - old habits die hard! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Looking forward to climbing these mountains with all of you. **insert sweaty smilie here**
  • jackie010307
    jackie010307 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Hope I'm not too late! I'm Jackie, I'm 31 years old and have been married to my hubby for a little over 11 years. We have two boys, 10 and 8, and a daughter, 4. I was always really active in high school. It didn't matter what season it was, I was playing some sport and constantly moving. I could eat whatever I wanted and it was never a problem. Then I went to college, stopped playing sports, and put on 40lbs in the first semester. It was downhill from there. I never really stopped eating whatever I wanted, and after having 2 children and 3 back surgeries in two years I weighed about 270. I stayed there until I was pregnant with our daughter, then went up to 285. After having her I lost a little, then about 4 months ago topped out at 292. I refused to hit 300 and that's where this began. I'm now down to 275 (I've gained 3lbs in the past week, but am back on track) and intend to keep going. I will be below 200 again! I am looking forward to doing as much as I can toward these challenges and thank JJ for inviting me!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Almost October - so excited - I've got zumba in the a.m.!! That's some dancing feet there!
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Hope I'm not too late! I'm Jackie, I'm 31 years old and have been married to my hubby for a little over 11 years. We have two boys, 10 and 8, and a daughter, 4. I was always really active in high school. It didn't matter what season it was, I was playing some sport and constantly moving. I could eat whatever I wanted and it was never a problem. Then I went to college, stopped playing sports, and put on 40lbs in the first semester. It was downhill from there. I never really stopped eating whatever I wanted, and after having 2 children and 3 back surgeries in two years I weighed about 270. I stayed there until I was pregnant with our daughter, then went up to 285. After having her I lost a little, then about 4 months ago topped out at 292. I refused to hit 300 and that's where this began. I'm now down to 275 (I've gained 3lbs in the past week, but am back on track) and intend to keep going. I will be below 200 again! I am looking forward to doing as much as I can toward these challenges and thank JJ for inviting me!

You are not too late Jackie, we are excited to have you join us! Welcome from the 100+ thread!
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    Hello all,
    I am Carla. I am a 53 year old retired teacher and principal from Windsor Ontario. I have 2 children (son Darryl 27 and daughter Jessica 24). Darryl lives in Winnipeg now that he is married so I miss him and my lovely daughter-in-law very much. I am presently approximately 246 pounds (not sure as there is no scale here so I had to weigh myself at a Walmart with one of the scales they were selling). I am on my retirement trip until October 21st so will do what I can but will have to post results when I have internet access (not on the cruise part). I love being part of this group. The love and motivation I get here and we give each other is phenomenal. I do not always respond to posts, but I read them all and even if they are addressed to someone else, i get so much out of them. Thanks JJ for coming up with this idea and "Let's start climbing!"
    :flowerforyou:
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Howdy Chics!

Glad to be here for the October challenge. I'm going to have to take the time to actually read the instructions (something we Men HATE doing). My name is Greg and I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (it's our Washington DC). I am married (19 years) and have one super-duper daughter age 13. I've been fat pretty much my whole life. I've gone up and down several times, but feel really good about MFP and this community of fellow "releasers." I'm really hoping to get my weight/lifestyle under control once and for all. I'm doing it for myself, but also for my family who need me, and for some strange reason, want me around for many years to come. I take great pride in providing for my family and need to be healthy in order to be able to do that.

I enjoy fishing and gaming (XBOX) and going to the movies with my family. I'm hoping to lose some weight and add, cycling, running, skating, swimming and tennis to that list. By next summer I really hope to be able to do all those things (well, maybe not the ice skating part...that will have to wait for winter).

Anyway, thanks so much for putting up with my rooster'ish ways and good luck to everyone for a successful October!
  • carhicks
    carhicks Posts: 1,924 Member
    Options
    Howdy Chics!

Glad to be here for the October challenge. I'm going to have to take the time to actually read the instructions (something we Men HATE doing). My name is Greg and I live in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada (it's our Washington DC).

Anyway, thanks so much for putting up with my rooster'ish ways and good luck to everyone for a successful October!

Hey Greg, I didn't know you were a fellow Canadian. BTW, I love the new picture.
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Does anyone else have the song "Climb Every Mountain" from the Sound of Music stuck in their head? :bigsmile:

So...with much fanfare and excitement...I am posting the link to the fabulous spreadsheet so you may all go admire it and bask in Cynthia's amazing skillz:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Al-BCfEpKScodFI2cVhfNUh5cENGVTg4RlRzcDNIeFE#gid=0

I think Renee is onto something with printing it out and keeping it with her to fill in. Hopefully, we will all be adding in so many quick little workouts to our daily routine we won't be able to keep track without a way to write it down! :bigsmile:

Brisa condensed everything down to this for a quick and dirty cheatsheet:

Mt. Kosciuszko 7,310 ft.-Australia-Nurture Summit-Water!
    One 8oz glass of water = 1 foot up the mountain
    Water, herbal/green tea, flavored zero calorie waters/Gatorade/propel etc. all count
    Soda, juice, coffee, black tea and milk do not count

Vinson Massif 16,060-Antarctica Endurance Summit Running/Walking/Swimming!
    Running/Walking 1 mile = 32 feet up the mountain
    Swimming in 25 yd. pool: One = 1 foot up the mountain
    Swimming in Olympic pool: One length = 2 feet up the mountain
    Water Aerobics count as dancing, not swimming

Mt. Elbrus 18,510-Europe-Exploration Summit-Exercises!
    1 Push-up = 1 foot up the mountain
    1 Sit-up = 1 foot up the mountain
    1 Lunge = 1 foot up the mountain
    1 Squat = 1 foot up the mountain
    1 Pull-up = 1 foot up the mountain
    1 Jumping jack = 1 foot up the mountain
    1 Stair = 1 foot up the mountain

Kilimanjaro 19,334 ft. -Africa-Wisdom Summit-Compliments!
    Genuine, specific compliment about another participant in a post = 10 feet up the mountain
    (1 compliment per participant per week)
    Acknowledge that a compliment posted about you is true and you agree with it = 20 feet up the mountain
    (This is unlimited)
    Post a compliment that was given to you spontaneously and unsolicited in real life and agree that it is true =30 feet up the mountain
    (This is limited to 2 per week)
    Compliment to yourself, an honest, specific compliment about something you like about yourself = 40 feet up the mountain
    (2 per week per participant per week)
    This is not the place for jokes or sarcasm

Denali 20,335ft -North America-Discipline Summit-Biking!
    Biking/Cycling 1 mile = 16 feet up the mountain
    Biking/Cycling 330 ft. = 1 foot up the mountain
    Bike on the street, a stationary bike or a recumbent bike

Aconcagua 22,841ft-South America-Celebration Summit-Dancing!
    1 minute dancing = 1 foot up the mountain
    1 minute dancing with any partner = 2 feet up the mountain
    Includes club dancing, dance classes, bogeying in the living room, water aerobics, zumba and regular aerobics (either in a class or on a video or Wii at home).

Mt. Everest 29,029ft-Asia-Power Summit-Strength Training!
    Every 10 reps with 1-9 # weight = 1 foot up the mountain.
    Every 5 reps with 10-19# weight = 1 foot up the mountain.
    Every 1 rep with 20-49 # weight = 1foot up the mountain
    Every 1 rep with a 50# or greater weight = 1.5 foot up the mountain
    Can use a machine at the gym or at home, free weights, or kettle bells, as well as milk jugs, cans of soup and small children you might have lying around the house. There must be some weight lifting involved in these exercises; you cannot use only your own body weight. What you use for that weight is up to you, you only need to be able to say how much the weight was and how many reps you did.
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    Can we count spin under the biking? That spreadsheet is pretty intense looking!!! (although it didn't seem to load properly...)
    I lost 8.5 inches (YAY) and 2lbs (BOO) in the September challenge. I'm hoping to have even better results this month!
    Lets getting moving people!
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Well here we go!

We are gathered at the towns that are the gateway to the mountains, where teams of climbers organize their gear, gather supplies and hire yaks, mules, sherpas/porters, pilots, medics and cooks to help them on their climb.

For Denali, we are in Talkeetna, a small bush town that was the model for the show Northern Exposure. For Kilimanjaro, we are in Arusha, a beautiful place located inside Kilimanjaro National Park in Tanzania. For Everest we are in Kathmandu, Nepal, which features no fewer than eight UNESCO World Heritage Sites. For Aconcagua we are in Penitentes. For Mt. Elbrus we are enjoying the beautiful Baksan Valley. For Vinson Massif we have just completed our flight south from Chile to the Union Glacier camp on Antarctica. And for Kosciuszko we are in Thredb.

As a housekeeping note, I will be gone and out of touch with the internet for much of tomorrow, starting at about 9am West Coast time. If you have any questions or need anything before I get back, Becky and Cynthia know as much as I do at this point. Sorry for the bad timing but this was planned before I took on the challenge.

So who is going to be the first to put a foot on the mountain? :bigsmile:
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Can we count spin under the biking? That spreadsheet is pretty intense looking!!! (although it didn't seem to load properly...)
    I lost 8.5 inches (YAY) and 2lbs (BOO) in the September challenge. I'm hoping to have even better results this month!
    Lets getting moving people!

Whoops! Yep spinning counts for bicycling, I forgot to mention that. Same conversion as for September challenge.

SPINNING: 45 Minute Hill Class
    ............ Beginner = 10 miles = 160ft up the mountain
    ............ Intermediate = 11 miles = 176ft up the mountain
    ............ Advanced = 12 miles = 192ft up the mountain

SPINNING: 45 Minute Flat/Speed Class
    ............ Beginner = 12 miles = 192ft up the mountain
    ............ Intermediate = 13.5 miles = 216ft up the mountain
    ............ Advanced = 15 miles = 240ft up the mountain
  • BRISAjustAltered
    BRISAjustAltered Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Spreadsheet looks great!
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Ok. Wish me luck. I am just about to head out my front door for a 10KM (6.2 Miles) walk. The furthest I've gone to date is 8K, so this will be a challenge! I will be doing a loop of a portion of the Rideau Canal (a World UNESCO heritage site) that's just a few blocks from my house.