**CLOSED SKINNY CHICS & A ROOSTER CLIMB THE SEVEN SUMMITS CH

Options

Replies

• head done in by math today
    how do i log SITUPS? STAIRS?
    sorry, i'm new. :)

i also spent the day trying to figure out what size pants i wear
    all my clothes have been bought in america at either Lane Bryant or Catherines (which i suspect run a little large)

so i wont be going home til january - and after 57 lbs i finally think it's time to get some new pants - i go to the crap plus size store they have here in ireland called Evans (hope i'm not offending anyone, i just hate their clothes quality/style etc) and I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SIZE I AM - are they 2 sizes smaller than USA? Larger? no one in the store knew
    and from pants to pants - they all fit differently! if i was a 26 in one, i was a 24 in another and i was a 28 in another....but i was a 26/28 in america, so to go from a 28 american to a 28 UK - i swear i feel like i've gone no where! or have i? i am so confused!
    either way i walked out with 3 pairs of 26 that fit and one pair of 26 that didnt fit, but i will use as barometer pants with a goal to get in them as they were on sale

anyway - logging situps and stairs? help? i do my sit ups on the fitball - 300
    and stairs, do they really count if you're just walking up and down your stairs?

thanks y'all!
  • stephaniezoundi
    stephaniezoundi Posts: 1,148 Member
    Options
    head done in by math today
    how do i log SITUPS? STAIRS?
    sorry, i'm new. :)

i also spent the day trying to figure out what size pants i wear
    all my clothes have been bought in america at either Lane Bryant or Catherines (which i suspect run a little large)

so i wont be going home til january - and after 57 lbs i finally think it's time to get some new pants - i go to the crap plus size store they have here in ireland called Evans (hope i'm not offending anyone, i just hate their clothes quality/style etc) and I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT SIZE I AM - are they 2 sizes smaller than USA? Larger? no one in the store knew
    and from pants to pants - they all fit differently! if i was a 26 in one, i was a 24 in another and i was a 28 in another....but i was a 26/28 in america, so to go from a 28 american to a 28 UK - i swear i feel like i've gone no where! or have i? i am so confused!
    either way i walked out with 3 pairs of 26 that fit and one pair of 26 that didnt fit, but i will use as barometer pants with a goal to get in them as they were on sale

anyway - logging situps and stairs? help? i do my sit ups on the fitball - 300
    and stairs, do they really count if you're just walking up and down your stairs?

thanks y'all!

Hey so on the clothing thing over here....(I'm a Canadian living in London). Generally, UK sizes are 2 sizes bigger than North American sizes. Evans is alright for somethings but crap for others. Depending what size you are you have more options than Evans. H&M have a range called B&B that goes up to a 26. Marks and Spencers carry up to a 26 as well. New Look has also come out with a new range called Inspire that goes up to a 28. As well, on-line I quite like Simply Be. Simply Be prices run the same as Evans, H&M and New Look can be pretty cheap!

My understanding of the challenge is 1 point for each sit up and 1 point for each stair. But you might want to get JJ /Becky / Cynthia to confirm!
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    YES -- It counts as 1:1 for situps, pushups, stairs, etc. I personally am ONLY counting going UP stairs, but that's because I know that the goal with throwing that in was to get people to go up the stairs versus the elevator. I think we said "stairs" so count it as you wish, but the plan is yes 1 stair equals 1 foot!

See, easy peasy things that we all can easily do and add!

Keep it up Skinny Chics & a Rooster!!
  • thanks so much! i'll log in the morning i still have the sit ups and strength training tonite if i get to it i'm wiped! i'm wiped on the day i DIDNT exercise - there u go!

re: M&S - i thought they only went to 24! and re: new look i had no idea they even sold plus size
    i'm the only person in my circle of friends here that even shops plus size so i had no idea!

so you're saying if i'm a 26 HERE i'm actually 22-ish in America? that is AMAZING! i was a 28 at my heaviest (i couldn't even find jeans here) and I haven't been home since last January, I started the latest weight lost regime a few days at end of April

my goal is to be 70 lbs down by January - and if I'm a 22 then I'd be happy, thanks so much for the info! you're a star!
  • sorry help! what am i logging and where, all next to EXERCISE?
    situps - 300
    reps - using two 3 kg weights i did 270 reps (both arms) i tried the calculator but not sure if i'm doing it right and what is Mod? do i write something there?
    stairs - only counting up - 56

thanks for the help!
  • lombrica
    lombrica Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    sorry help! what am i logging and where, all next to EXERCISE?
    situps - 300
    reps - using two 3 kg weights i did 270 reps (both arms) i tried the calculator but not sure if i'm doing it right and what is Mod? do i write something there?
    stairs - only counting up - 56

thanks for the help!

Tina:

Don't over-think this, cause that's what I think people are getting caught up in. I put in your numbers from above...

Sit-ups and Stairs -- Exercises for Exploration Summit
    .......... 300 + 56 = 356 feet
    Weights -- Use the calculator, don't adjust anything just put in the numbers
    .......... 3 Kilograms x 2.2 = 6.6 pounds, or round to 7 pounds.
    .......... 270 reps x 2 arms = 540
    .......... Enter 540 reps, 7 pounds for weight, Mod will switch to "0" and the total feet for you is 54
    .......... (background is that at under 10 pounds weight, you need to do 10 reps per foot)

It WILL get easier... it will! Once you get the hang of it, I think you'll look back and laugh at how easy the calculations were - but because there are several calculations it just seems more difficult than it really is. Keep asking, we'll keep walking you through it and soon, you won't need to ask. :wink:

Great numbers so far!! Great Job!
  • jackie010307
    jackie010307 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think I logged yesterday right, it was fairly easy as I really only did water and stairs and they are both 1:1 ratios. Did really do much yesterday, but have done better today. Will log later as I'm not even close to done with my laundry and that's more stairs!
  • MrsRazor7
    MrsRazor7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Ok, my only question so far is about the strength. I did all my exercises with weights in both hands, do I count them as one set or two (one for each arm)? For example, I did incline press with 15 pound weights in each hand, totaling 30 pounds. Do I count them as 30 pounds together, then just count the reps, or do I count them as 15 pounds and do the math from there? I understand how to count the miles or points, but I just don't know about the the free weights if they are in both hands. Thanks!

And, I was able to run 25 minutes today without stopping (except to tie my shoelace)..which was over 2 miles! I am feeling great!
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    And, I was able to run 25 minutes today without stopping (except to tie my shoelace)..which was over 2 miles! I am feeling great!

Wowzers! That is just amazing! Good on ya!
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    Ok, my only question so far is about the strength. I did all my exercises with weights in both hands, do I count them as one set or two (one for each arm)? For example, I did incline press with 15 pound weights in each hand, totaling 30 pounds. Do I count them as 30 pounds together, then just count the reps, or do I count them as 15 pounds and do the math from there? I understand how to count the miles or points, but I just don't know about the the free weights if they are in both hands. Thanks!

I have really spotty internet reception at the hotel, so I apologize for not being online more! I am so impressed with how much everyone is doing and am really excited to see our progress already! And thank you to Cynthia and Becky for jumping in to help with questions!

Lexie, that is a great questions. I would count them as 30# since your body lifted 30# at once. If you were doing individual bicep curls where you alternated arms, then I would count them as 15#, since your body was lifting 15# at once. Does that make sense?

Lexie, I am very impressed that you were able to run 2 miles in over 25 minutes!
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    I am off to a great start this morning. I got up early and made breakfast and while it was baking I decided to get in a run. I kind of figured I had better do something extra since I had just dumped 3 cups of cheese in this breakfast casserole. So off I went for 20 minutes. Yay. Today is also the first day of a 60 day round of Insanity. I have a question on how I should log it in the tracker though. It is technically HIIT but I really don't have time during the regular workouts to count how many reps I do of each exercise. It is very aerobic though. I mean like literally I am standing in a puddle of sweat. Should I just log it as aerobics? Oh today it won't matter as it is the fitness test and I do actually count the reps today.

Staci, I would like to give you a compliment. :smile: I think it is awesome that you managed to fit in a run while your breakfast was baking. I love how that shows not only your awareness of the connection between the cheese and your need to increase your calories burned for the day, but also your commitment to fitting in some exercise when you only have 20 minutes in which to do it.

As for the Insanity I am not very familiar with it. I think it sounds like it would be easiest to count as aerobics/dancing so you only have to keep track of the minutes and not reps while also trying to workout to a video. It also sounds like it would qualify for that. Sound fair?
  • KnottyNCrotchety
    Options
    JJ
    Hope your trip went well ;) Have fun ahem. with your Aerobics. WHAT THE HELL are you DOING ON LINE? GO AH eh.. DANCE :D

It was a lovely, quiet flight. And the dancing has been delightful. :bigsmile:
  • StaciO
    StaciO Posts: 998
    Options
    JJ- thank you yes it is fair to say my Insanity is aerobic. I will count the reps when I do the "fit test" as that is part of the fit test and only count the reps on those days as it is a bit of a different format than the regular workouts. And thank you as wekk for the compliment. I am working on connecting my food to my exercise expecially when I am using full fat, full calorie ingreedients. The breakfast was wonderful this morning.

After breakfast this morning my grandson wanted to go treasurehunting so a small group of us went out geocaching for an hour. It was lods of fun and he was so excisted to find the treasure boxes.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Took me a while to find the thread.(thanks bobbie!)

hi, i'm Jane. I'm 40 - turning 41 in ten days time! I work at a university (i'm a psychology lecturer). I was born in the UK, grew up on south Africa, moved back to the UK to do my phd ten years ago. I love the UK but miss the warmth and sunshine of south Africa, which Will always be home to me. I have one very beautiful daughter. And two somewhat silly but very cute dogs. Still getting used to a cat free home after our lovely old girl died a couple of months ago.

I play music in my spare time. My main instruments are classical guitar and cello, and i sing. I play a few other thingstoo.

I'm helping my dad look after my mum, who is very ill with cancer, and between that and a very demanding job, it can be hard finding enough time to do everything i want to do.

I'm learning to run, and am a gym addict.

Yesterday i was quite a busy girl. 5 mile sponsored walk, 1.5 mile ran, and 3 miles other walking.
  • Icewolf_The
    Icewolf_The Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Okay lexie about the weights it's 15 lbs...

Sorry to disagree with JJ, it's the weight on the weights. or the weight in the computer or the weight on the nautilus equipment listing. You don't get to count it twice just because you have 2 arms. Sorry.

The weight you are lifting is 15 lbs.

When I do leg presses with 120 lbs. I'm using 120 lbs of weights. that's nog 60lbs on each leg. that's 120lbs of weights all at once. I don't count it as 240 because I have 2 legs. Sorry that's not how weight lifting works.

Bobbie I'll give you 24 hours to change your calculations. I'm sorry but you've got to fix it.
    The weights calculation multiplied your reps x the weights x the modifier = points. so you needed to use reps x the modifier = points. So divide out by the average weight that you used for most of your activities and I'll live with that. I hate to be a hardass about this ****, but it's not fair to others, and I'm not having people say we're cheating.

Love you guys. Going to a movie. xo xo xo ;)
  • MrsRazor7
    MrsRazor7 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Cynthia - i agree with you on the leggs and the machines. But my train of thought is that I am doing 15 on each hand at the same time, so if I was on a machine, I would be doing 30. You two figure out how you want me to count it, and I can count it that way :happy:

Greg - thank you:smile:

My arms and tummy are killing me! I haven't don't sit-ups or any lifting since July, so I am sore! Oh well, guess I just have to work through it :wink: Have a great Monday!
  • hi just want to make sure i'm doing this right for my swimming:
    i convert metres to miles...then multiply that number by 64?

i wish we were getting credit for time! i dont swim as far as i walk in an hour!

happy monday people

xo
  • BRISAjustAltered
    BRISAjustAltered Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Ok, I'm back.
    From the looks of it, I'm not the only one with math issues. LOL
    It’s so nice to see everyone so into this challenge.
    Its day 3 and I have come to realize how much LITTLE water I drink. I have not contributed at all to the water summit. But I hope to change that today.

Jane, what an interesting life. My heart goes out to you for your mom. My lovely sweet God-mother was taken from us by cancer. She was as dear to me as my own mother.

Becky, thanks. I did not see that way till I read it from you. I guess it seems more like duty to support a cause that I believe in so much. Breast cancer is something so real in my family, that it only seems right to fight it whatever way possible. So with that:

This weekend I was part of the "Gift of Life" 5k charity walk. The "gift of life" foundation is a program dedicated to fighting breast and ovarian cancer. They give free exams and treatment to those who cannot afford. It was wonderful to be part of this awesome event. I attended in honor of my God-Mother Lisa.

LADIES, and Greg (for you wife), October is Breast Cancer Awareness month.
    PLEASE, I beg you beautiful ladies to take the time to get an exam. If you are over 40 it is so important that you get checked once a year. If under 40, start to give yourself exams. Get to know your body. Or get your man to do it for you. I'm sure he's Acquainted with the twins anyways. ;-)

Ok, well that’s it for now. Its Monday, HAVE AN GREAT WEEK!!!
    (one last note, I do have to two exams and a lecture to attend this week, so please forgive my absence. I will do my best not to get too behind this time)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Bris, thanks for your kind thoughts about my mum, and I'm so sorry to hear about your godmother. It's weird, in theory, I've always known what a horrible illness it is. But it's only when it's right up in your face, happening to someone you really love and care for, that you realise just how nasty it really is.

In other news.... I know that I, as always, took a little time to find my way here. But if anyone else like me uses chrome, you might want to not use it for the spreadsheet, as it makes all the pretty colours go squiffy. I've just opened it in firefox, and it's much, much happier there. :-)
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Nope, I spoke too soon. Help? When I view the spreadsheet, my column with names and activities seems to have come adrift from the other columns - so they don't stay in alignment? I'm clearly doing something wrong. Anyone know what?

ETA: It's ok in explorer!