Women with abs, attractive or not?

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    people can go back and forth all day about this.

WHO CARESSSSSSSS?

Do what makes you happy...I cant stand these questions

Haha! Franken-thread LIVES!
  • Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I personally love it, I love it because I can appreciate the kind of work it takes to get that look. I also love the soft and smooth look of a sleek but not ultra slim torso as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say without being too crass about it is, most guy will just be thrilled that you're not wearing a shirt if ou get into that situation and they won't be staring at your torso. It also occurs to me that in the heat of the moment a woman who is happy about her body and feels confident is 100x sexier than one who is self conscious and stuck in her own head.

If you want the look of a tight and well defined torso then GO GET IT for you.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I find that hard to believe, although there are some women (my ex was one) with more masculine/athletic builds who can gain muscle more easily than the rest of us. But women are supposed to have a higher fat percentage than men, and to carry a lot of it in their midsection, and to be less muscular as well . I think it's strange that so many women struggle to go against nature and have a build that more closely resembles a man's; you don't see men trying to give themselves hips and boobs, do you? I'm not saying there isn't a benefit to having strong abs or that we shouldn't be doing ab work, but it's a bit ridiculous to want abs that are popping out and clearly visible when women were never meant to have that in the first place. People love to rag on skinny supermodels, but women with 6 packs are promoting an ideal that is just as difficult to attain. It's far better to focus on being strong and healthy than on forcing our bodies to look a certain way.

Regardless, it sounds like your friend will have to do Insanity every day for the rest of her life to maintain those abs, which sounds horrible to me. :)

*resisting the urge to lay down a verbal smackdown*

a) I box once a week - hard work, for an hour
    b) I zumba at home on my gaming system, less than an hour a week - for fun
    c) I do pushups right now (and that helps my core) - less than 10 mins a day.

I have a kickass core because I keep my core tight, and I watch what I eat.

As for the statements in bold...
    where the hell did you get your info? Is there a memo from God / Mother Nature / Divine Creator that I missed that says this is fact?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I want abs. I don't care if anyone thinks they are attractive or not.

Winner.

Also, my husband does think they are attractive.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Weird misinformation about how women are supposed to be. I've always had abs and I've always not carried fat in my mid section. I carry it (rather nicely) in my thighs and butt. It's not manly to have a slim waist.
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Very attractive.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    bump
  • macdiver
    macdiver Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I've been working out immensely, focusing on my abs lately. I am seeing progress slowly and i love it. However, i mentioned "wanting" a 6 pack to this guy at the gym and his initial reaction was "why? girls with abs are not attractive". So it left me thinking, how so?

I'd like your opinions please, women/men!

The original post was from oct 2011. I wonder if the OP is still around and if she can see her abs.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    to paraphrase john green...

the venn diagram of boys who don't want you to be the best you can be, and boys you don't want to date, is a circle.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Do what you want. Somebody somewhere isn't going to like it.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    My fiance isn't into abs. I don't really care for them, and I don't really want them. I am just concerned about my overall health, not the appearance of abs through my abdominal skin.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Meh... attractiviness is subjective....
  • AdamBellfpt
    AdamBellfpt Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Attractive!
  • Sweet_Potato
    Sweet_Potato Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options

where the hell did you get your info? Is there a memo from God / Mother Nature / Divine Creator that I missed that says this is fact?

I don't believe in God, but any doctor will tell you that women have a higher percentage of body fat than men do. Whether you like it or not our bodies were designed for reproductive purposes, and that is the reason we have more fat. Yes, it is possible to get below the recommended 18-20%, closer to the healthy range for men, but this is extremely hard to do and must be done with carefully controlled diet and exercise. I'm surprised so many of you think we can achieve the same fitness goals just as easily as our male counterparts. I don't think it's anti-feminist to admit that we aren't created equal in a physical sense.

The OP has struggled with eating disorders and overexercise in the past. It's cruel to promote a look that is very difficult to achieve when she could be vulnerable to unsafe behaviors in pursuit of an ideal body.
  • BodyFreak
    Options
    I find girls with abs attractive whether there bulky or just toned flat. Its shows how much work they've done to get to where there at and that's what attracts me
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I've never met anyone without abs, to my knowledge.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I don't believe in God, but any doctor will tell you that women have a higher percentage of body fat than men do. Whether you like it or not our bodies were designed for reproductive purposes, and that is the reason we have more fat. Yes, it is possible to get below the recommended 18-20%, closer to the healthy range for men, but this is extremely hard to do and must be done with carefully controlled diet and exercise. I'm surprised so many of you think we can achieve the same fitness goals just as easily as our male counterparts. I don't think it's anti-feminist to admit that we aren't created equal in a physical sense.

The OP has struggled with eating disorders and overexercise in the past. It's cruel to promote a look that is very difficult to achieve when she could be vulnerable to unsafe behaviors in pursuit of an ideal body.

I have visible abs at 18% body fat because I do not store my fat in my mid section. You were wrong about saying all women store fat the same way. Actually many women store fat in the thighs (especially when pregnant as the body is preparing for breastfeeding).
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Soft tone but flat is hot... steroid ripped bulges are not so hot.
  • aarensj
    Options
    Meh, I had an 8-pack in college. I have a boyish shape that becomes muscular quickly and had a low body fat percentage fairly easily (things were so much easier for me in college :)). To be honest, I could tell it scared guys a little, and I wasn't necessarily super comfortable with it myself.

If it works for you, then do the doggone thing. Some guys will love it, others will hate it. I choose to do pilates for a lot of my ab work now to keep it toned without becoming "packish" again. I just don't care for the look of it on ME anymore.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I've been working out immensely, focusing on my abs lately. I am seeing progress slowly and i love it. However, i mentioned "wanting" a 6 pack to this guy at the gym and his initial reaction was "why? girls with abs are not attractive". So it left me thinking, how so?

I'd like your opinions please, women/men!

Of course there are far more important things than appearance, but since you asked here is my opinion:

I am not sure who you were talking to, but lots of men appreciate women with a toned stomach! In terms of physical features I rank nice abs second only to a pretty face on a woman. Abs are among the first things I notice about a woman in a bikini.