Motivated Momma's Week 4 (closed group)

Options
On behalf of Karie and all of this week's contributors, here is our week 4 challenge:

Cardio Challenge
I'm not sure who was submitting the cardio component but it needs to be added to this post. Please copy and paste this post and add the Cardio Challenge in.Thank you!

Strength challenge
Created by Renu

Day1
1. Monkey abs –( http://www.exercise.com/exercise/monkey-abs-aka-dumbbell-side-bend ) Do one set of 60 seconds
2. Airplane Leans – ( http://www.exercise.com/exercise/airplane-leans ) Do one set of 30 seconds each leg
Monkey abs and airplane leans will get 1 point in total

Day 2
3. Alternating Heal touch – ( http://www.exercise.com/exercise/alternating-heel-touch) Do one set of 60 seconds
4. Double leg lifts –( http://www.exercise.com/exercise/double-leg-lifts )- Do one set of 60 seconds
Alternating heal touch and double leg lifts will get 1 point in total

Day 3
5. Single leg lifts- Work your core muscles-( http://www.exercise.com/exercise/single-leg-lifts) - Do one set of 60 seconds
6. Single leg stretch- (http://www.exercise.com/exercise/single-leg-stretch )- Do one set of 60 seconds
Single leg lifts and single leg stretch will get get 1 point in total

Do the above exercises for 3 days, you can do it in any order and on any days..
Bonus point-
http://www.exercise.com/exercise/hundreds
(Note- you can keep your knee bent in the 90 degree angle and you can do it in sets or all at once)
Do the hundreds for 3 days and earn 3 bonus points
Do 50 for 3 days and earn 2 bonus points
Do 25 for 3 days and earn 1 bonus point

Food challenge this week is in two parts. It is worth 10 points total.
Created by Tasha
Part 1: No eating after 8pm. Lets try to stay away from the kitchens starting at 8pm 5 days this week.
Part 2: Drink all 8 recommended glasses of water at least 5 days this week.

Emotional Challenge
Created by Tasha
How is your self esteem? Are you focusing on the great accomplishments you have made and taking pride in them? This journey is about becoming healthy again and regaining your self esteem. This challenge is worth 7 points. Every day this week tell us about something you have accomplished during your journey and how it has made you a feel. You get one point per day.

Once again, here is the link to our tracking spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnwPqv9GV3KzdGJmckI0LXhiV2piODNrU3o3NG9XRVE&hl=en_US#gid=5

Make sure to post your end of week weigh ins on the Week 3 thread today as well!

Have a great day everyone!!!
Lynda

Replies

• renubhat_82
    renubhat_82 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Just checking in

Last week's weight- 155.2
    This week- 158.2
    Gain- 3lbs (not sure how this happened).. :-(

But today is a new day, so I will keep going.. :-)
  • losinit_4_good
    losinit_4_good Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    Phew! Just looking at this challenge makes me tired! Great job girls!

Tasha, LOVE the self esteem challenge! I have one I'd like to share right away: I am proud of the strength I am gaining. When I first started this I could barely do 1 girly-style (from the knee push up). Seriously! ONE pushup was too much for me! This morning I was doing my 30DS workout, and as many of us know JM loves her pushups and I was able to do 30 seconds of pushups. Yes, they were still girly-style (I mean, c'mon I still weigh 225lbs!) but still, I could do them, with good form, without stopping and it felt good!!! And as she announced that it was time for the next move I was like "wait a sec... did I just do that?!?!" so I am very proud of myself for that!

Renu, I think you may be trying to kill me with the core work but I love you for pushing me girl!!! I'm gonna kill those bonus points baby!!!
  • losinit_4_good
    Options
    Just checking in

Last week's weight- 155.2
    This week- 158.2
    Gain- 3lbs (not sure how this happened).. :-(

But today is a new day, so I will keep going.. :-)

Always keep going Renu! You are doing great and working hard - sometimes there are speedbumps on the road and this little bump could be accounted for in many different ways. What matters is that you keep going and working hard. You will get the results you work for!!
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    Phew! Just looking at this challenge makes me tired! Great job girls!

Tasha, LOVE the self esteem challenge! I have one I'd like to share right away: I am proud of the strength I am gaining. When I first started this I could barely do 1 girly-style (from the knee push up). Seriously! ONE pushup was too much for me! This morning I was doing my 30DS workout, and as many of us know JM loves her pushups and I was able to do 30 seconds of pushups. Yes, they were still girly-style (I mean, c'mon I still weigh 225lbs!) but still, I could do them, with good form, without stopping and it felt good!!! And as she announced that it was time for the next move I was like "wait a sec... did I just do that?!?!" so I am very proud of myself for that!

Renu, I think you may be trying to kill me with the core work but I love you for pushing me girl!!! I'm gonna kill those bonus points baby!!!

Lynda,

Thats why i kept 3 options open for the hundreds.. We all need to work from core for long term fitness... but I love the emotional challenge too..waiting for the cardio....
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    I am very annoyed today.. not for the weight gain.. We bought a racquetball few days back and I had decided I am gonna play daily in the morning time as the court will be available in the morning... But, one of my hubby's colleague had taken it 2 days back and we kept reminding him to return it.. Even yday night we reminded him to return, but hasn't returned it yet.. I am so so angry because he is spoiling my exercise plan.. When he comes to return it, he is gonna get it from me and I am going to tell straight forward that I wont let him take it again...
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Do we have a cardio challenge? Do we still need one?
  • renubhat_82
    Options
    Do we have a cardio challenge? Do we still need one?

I think Natalie was working on the cardio challenge, probably she is yet to post it..
  • losinit_4_good
    Options

Lynda,

Thats why i kept 3 options open for the hundreds.. We all need to work from core for long term fitness... but I love the emotional challenge too..waiting for the cardio....

I know. My core needs serious work which I why I'm pumped that you included it in the challenge as it will motivate me to get er done!
  • losinit_4_good
    Options
    Ok, here's the new and improved challenge including the cardio component. I tried to edit my original post so this would appear as the first entry on the thread but apparently you can only edit a post within one hour of creating it. Who knew? Anyways, here's the total challenge. Thanks to all who contributed for making such a stellar challenge!!

On behalf of Karie and all of this week's contributors, here is our week 4 challenge:

Total of 28 Possible Points are available this week! 25 challenge + 3 bonus. Remember to keep track on the spreadsheet!

Cardio Challenge: 5 Possible Points
    Created by Nathalie

Part 1
    It's easy to get bored of exercising or to get complacent. In order to keep losing weight and getting fit we need to keep challenging our bodies, and in order to not get bored we need to try and find exercise we enjoy. Try something new this week, a new sport, a new class, a new piece of equipment in the gym or even just a new dvd! Post ideas on here for different things for others to try.
    You get 1 point for each different new exercise you try up to a total of 3 points. Don't feel like you have to do 3 though as it is a big ask in a busy life!

Part 2
    Log your calories every day - 1 point

Part 3
    Beat last weeks calories burnt - 1 point

Strength challenge: 3 + 3 Bonus = 6 Possible Points
    Created by Renu

Day1
    1. Monkey abs –( http://www.exercise.com/exercise/monkey-abs-aka-dumbbell-side-bend ) Do one set of 60 seconds
    2. Airplane Leans – ( http://www.exercise.com/exercise/airplane-leans ) Do one set of 30 seconds each leg

Day 2
    3. Alternating Heal touch – ( http://www.exercise.com/exercise/alternating-heel-touch) Do one set of 60 seconds
    4. Double leg lifts –( http://www.exercise.com/exercise/double-leg-lifts )- Do one set of 60 seconds

Day 3
    5. Single leg lifts- Work your core muscles-( http://www.exercise.com/exercise/single-leg-lifts) - Do one set of 60 seconds
    6. Single leg stretch- (http://www.exercise.com/exercise/single-leg-stretch )- Do one set of 60 seconds
    Single leg lifts and single leg stretch will get get 1 point in total

Do the above exercises for 3 days, you can do it in any order and on any days..
    Bonus point-
    (Note- you can keep your knee bent in the 90 degree angle and you can do it in sets or all at once)
    Do the hundreds for 3 days and earn 3 bonus points

Food challenge: 10 Possible Points
    Created by Tasha
    Part 1: No eating after 8pm. Lets try to stay away from the kitchens starting at 8pm 5 days this week.
    Part 2: Drink all 8 recommended glasses of water at least 5 days this week.

Emotional Challenge: 7 Possible Points
    Created by Tasha
    How is your self esteem? Are you focusing on the great accomplishments you have made and taking pride in them? This journey is about becoming healthy again and regaining your self esteem. This challenge is worth 7 points. Every day this week tell us about something you have accomplished during your journey and how it has made you a feel. You get one point per day.

Once again, here is the link to our tracking spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnwPqv9GV3KzdGJmckI0LXhiV2piODNrU3o3NG9XRVE&hl=en_US#gid=5

Make sure to post your end of week weigh ins on the Week 3 thread today as well!

Have a great day everyone!!!
    Lynda
  • circusmom
    Options
    I think my calories burned are off. Since I've started this new lifting program all of my sets are super sets and I'm only getting about 30 seconds of rest in between super-sets. The first 2 weeks are full body work-outs, ten exercises are only taking 30-35 minutes or so, and by the time I'm done I'm sweating and out of breath.
    If I buy a HRM then I can't get new weights til next month, and I really need heavier weights. Anyone know any way to do this without a HRM?
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to share my weigh in with you all. I weighed myself this morning fully expecting to not lose anything (since my weight loss has dramatically slowed down), but I was shocked to see that I had a 2lb. loss since last Wednesday! I was so excited that I woke up my husband to tell him, he had to get up soon for work anyways :)

Last week's weight: 129 lbs.
    Today's weigh in: 127 lbs.
    2 lb. loss

The 2 hardest things for me for this week's challenge are going to be:
    1. Doing something different for exercise, as I have a routine that I stick to and don't really try new things, LOL
    2. No eating after 8 pm, as my evening snack is usually between 8:30-9 pm
  • circusmom
    Options
    I'm excited to share my weigh in with you all. I weighed myself this morning fully expecting to not lose anything (since my weight loss has dramatically slowed down), but I was shocked to see that I had a 2lb. loss since last Wednesday! I was so excited that I woke up my husband to tell him, he had to get up soon for work anyways :)

Last week's weight: 129 lbs.
    Today's weigh in: 127 lbs.
    2 lb. loss

The 2 hardest things for me for this week's challenge are going to be:
    1. Doing something different for exercise, as I have a routine that I stick to and don't really try new things, LOL
    2. No eating after 8 pm, as my evening snack is usually between 8:30-9 pm

Whoo Hoo!!! How freakin' cool is that! Congrats!!!!:drinker:
  • losinit_4_good
    Options
    Hi Shawn,

I just posted this question on last week's thread, but then I realized that you probably won't check that one again since we are onto a new week so I'm copying it in here. Not trying to be a stalker - just don't seem to have a fully functioning brain today :wink:

What program are you on? I am starting to focus more and more on strength and toning and since you seem to be the resident expert (at least in my eyes!) I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer. Great tip on the sore muscles equation.I did not know that sore muscles meant water retention. Which would explain why when building muscle the numbers on the scale don't always seem to match my level of effort. Truthfully, this is part of what has always scared me off in the past. Well, that and strength and toning is HARD! lol!
    Lynda
  • LoveNevrNds
    LoveNevrNds Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure where we are posting out weigh in... so I will post it here too!

My Progress
    Starting MFP Weight: 286.6
    MM Starting Weight (9/21): 267.4
    Week 1 Weight (9/28): 269
    Week 2 Weight (10/5): 268.6
    Week 3 Weight (10/12): 266.6
    Week loss/gain: -2

I am very excited about this weeks weight loss. I finally lost 20 lbs! What a great feeling!!!!! Only 15 left to reach my first mini goal!
  • LoveNevrNds
    LoveNevrNds Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Emotional Challenge Day 1 -
    Something that I have accomplished during my journey so far is a higher fitness level. When I started I tried to do the Slim in 6 videos on my off days at the gym. It was so hard and I had to take breaks every 4 mins or so I kept at it for a week and found that I was so sore I couldn't handle it then. I put the video away for awhile and finally pulled it out again last night because I wanted to get in a little exercise before bed. I was able to do the whole video without stopping to catch my breath. I only took a break to get water and then was right back at it! I was sooo proud of myself! What would have killed me 3 months ago was actually enjoyable last night! What a great feeling!
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure where we are posting out weigh in... so I will post it here too!

My Progress
    Starting MFP Weight: 286.6
    MM Starting Weight (9/21): 267.4
    Week 1 Weight (9/28): 269
    Week 2 Weight (10/5): 268.6
    Week 3 Weight (10/12): 266.6
    Week loss/gain: -2

I am very excited about this weeks weight loss. I finally lost 20 lbs! What a great feeling!!!!! Only 15 left to reach my first mini goal!

YAY happy 20!!! Thats so awesome, and its such a great feeling to hit that kind of a milestone! Congrats!
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    OK, im so amped and ready to get through this weeks challenges, I fell off in a big way over the weekend and having a sick kiddo didnt help, Im feeling like im catching whatever he's got today but Im still gonna power through and get it all done...(told my husband this too and he said thats because you're "super freakin' awesome mom" LOL). Posted points and weight on the week 3 thread, only 0.6 lbs lost this week but atleast I didnt gain!
  • circusmom
    Options
    Hi Shawn,

I just posted this question on last week's thread, but then I realized that you probably won't check that one again since we are onto a new week so I'm copying it in here. Not trying to be a stalker - just don't seem to have a fully functioning brain today :wink:

What program are you on? I am starting to focus more and more on strength and toning and since you seem to be the resident expert (at least in my eyes!) I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer. Great tip on the sore muscles equation.I did not know that sore muscles meant water retention. Which would explain why when building muscle the numbers on the scale don't always seem to match my level of effort. Truthfully, this is part of what has always scared me off in the past. Well, that and strength and toning is HARD! lol!
    Lynda

Yep, when you workout, you are actually damaging your muscles, heavy lifting causes tears in the muscle. While repairing the tissue you will retain water, that's why you shouldn't work the same muscle group two days in a row, rule of thumb is 48 hrs (I think).
    I was going to follow the Jamie Eason Live Fit program, it is a good program. But I found a really good book at the library(Muscle & Fitness Hers, 101 Workouts for Women), and started following that instead, only because I find it easier to pick up a book to refer back to an exercise than to log on to the computer. It has lots of exercises for home use as well as for use with the machines at the gym.
    This is the first time I have ever done supersets, and Wow, it really makes you sweat!! If your really interested in lifting don't be afraid to pick up heavy weights, it will only do great things for you!! Remember, the more muscle you have the more calories you burn while at rest.

I was looking on Amazon to purchase the book I got from the libary and there are 3 of them, the one I have and Workouts & Diet for burning fat and Workouts and Diet for Building muscle. The last two look similar so I'm going to research more before I decide which one to buy. If you don't want to buy anything, look at bodybuilding.com, that's where I found the Jamie Eason Live Fit program, it's 12 weeks long and has a meal plan with it, it gives specific exercise and how often to do them. It's very informative, actually the whole web site has great info.If you have any questions just send me a message, I'm always happy to help!!
  • ♥Amy♥
    Options
    Emotional Challenge Day 1:
    One thing that I have accomplished so far in my journey is much more energy. Sure, I'm still tired and would love to just veg out on the couch some days, but I'm able to do so much more now than I could/would before. For example, when we went to DisneyWorld in July/August this year, we walked ALL DAY LONG for like 11 hours and I was tired, but before my journey started there would have been NO WAY it would have even been possible. So, my extra energy makes me feel great because I am able to be around and more active with my boys.
  • ♥Amy♥
    Options
    Total of 28 Possible Points are available this week! 25 challenge + 3 bonus. Remember to keep track on the spreadsheet!

Cardio Challenge: 5 Possible Points
    Created by Nathalie

Part 1
    Something new: 1/3 points for today

Part 2
    Log your calories every day : 0/1 point (waiting until the end to make sure I do it everyday)

Part 3
    Beat last weeks calories burnt: 0/1 point (waiting until the end to make sure I do it)

Strength challenge: 3 + 3 Bonus = 6 Possible Points
    Created by Renu

Day1

Day 2

Day 3
    Single leg lifts and single leg stretch will get get 1 point in total: Completed 1/1 point

Bonus point-
    Do the hundreds for 3 days and earn 3 bonus points: Completed today, will do it again another 2 days

Food challenge: 10 Possible Points
    Created by Tasha
    Part 1: No eating after 8pm. Lets try to stay away from the kitchens starting at 8pm 5 days this week: 1/5 points
    Part 2: Drink all 8 recommended glasses of water at least 5 days this week: 1/5 points

Emotional Challenge: 7 Possible Points
    Created by Tasha
    1/7 points

Total points: 5/28 points