<3 support group for women eating 2000+ calories per day <3

Options

Replies

• agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    I didn't have milk the other day when I was making my frittata, so I subbed in some unsweetened soy milk. Totally could NOT tell that the frittata was any different.
    I actually just started using soy milk for my protein shakes, and I can't tell the difference either.
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Question:
    I'm stating at my grandma's for thanksgiving and I'd like to make a pie that is a bit healthier...pumpkin with soy milk or almond milk instead of evaporated milk and half the sugar. I'm afraid of looking too health conscious though because I did have an eating disorder many years ago...I feel like I am being judged/watched when it cones to food. What should I do? Just eat whatever to appease them or do my own thing and let them judge?
    I say make whatever version of the pie you will enjoy most. Why do you even have to tell them what you make it with? If someone asked what was in it I'd tell them, & if they asked why, I'd say "because I like the taste better," & that would be the truth.
    I didn't have milk the other day when I was making my frittata, so I subbed in some unsweetened soy milk. Totally could NOT tell that the frittata was any different.
    I make-ahead mini quiches on the weekends sometimes & I use unsweetened almond milk in them, & I don't notice a difference either. I actually prefer it to using skim since it's creamier; skim is more watery. I've used almond milk in a lot of baked goods & it works great.

I do prefer skim for my protein shakes since it has more, uh, protein. :laugh: :wink:
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I got in an hour of the arc trainer and 35 minutes on the exercise bike. I overate last night so I wanted to make up for it. I ate while watching the football game and husband was eating. He had a lot of calories leftover I didn't.

Tomorrow is my rest day. It was suppose to be today but the kids have off of school since their school is used for the election. I wouldn't have been able to get to the gym and I wasn't feeling I was going to get up early either.

Gah, my birthday is this week... and my son's. Which means treats! I baked cookies for him to take to school for his birthday. I made just enough not to have any extra, but I did have to bake some for a school bake sale, so there are extra cookies. They are only 87 calories each though. I didn't make them light or cut anything out of them. They are lemon crinkle cookies. They are so light and airy. My new favorite cookie!

I cook with almond milk all the time. I can't tell the difference. I don't drink any dairy milk really or I try and avoid it. The only dairy I do is yogurt, cheese and keifer for my protein smoothies.

Pie question, make the pie you want. I wouldn't worry too much. You don't even really need to tell them you did anything different.
    I end up making stuffing, a dessert and a main dish since my husband and me are vegetarians. I don't even mention I made the stuffing vegetarian because I don't think my grandparents notice that we don't eat meat anyway. Nobody seems to mind. :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    The problem is that I'm staying at my grandma's so she would know...she'd likely be the one buying the stuff or else I would just not make anything and not really have much to eat, in which case everyone would be so pissy, whispery, and just judgey. I would probably make a side dish too... I honestly can't stomach a lot of the heavy dishes that people make and I wind up gassy and sick from it. Hmm..what to do. what to do.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options

I've thought about getting some barefoot shoes actually, mainly for weight lifting purposes. I think they wouldn't work for my running style. I'm a trail runner and usually run in the mountains and forest, so I think that might be painful without serious shoes. Not sure though.

It will be fine for that actually - the rubber on the bottoms protects your feet from anything really nasty and trail runners don't tend to land as hard or heel strike (as I understand from my reading).

I also wear barefoot shoes and I am quite happy with them - I supposedly have weak arches and the doctors and foot store always want to put me in special inserts but I hate shoes AND inserts.

I will say - your feet are WEAK from years of shoes. Mine were weak even from sandals. I recommend walking in them, powerwalking espcially (or 'racewalking') to strengthen your feet.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    @love: just do your thing Ms Thang - you know that you're healthy, you know that you've got this under control, who cares what they think! I have a similar issue, but around the other way. Because I was so heavy I always feel like if I eat too much in front of everyone then they'll start taking wagers on how long until I balloon up again lol. Not really, but I eat a lot anyways and I usually get the "how can you eat all that and STILL lose weight?!" or I'll get the "ooooh, that won't go down well next weigh in" ....aargh

Walked to work this morning - 7kms, and have plans for a 5km run tonight. Added more weights to my dumbells and barbell last night and I'm feeling them today in my thighs and shoulders! Haven't had time to read through NROLFW yet but I'm dying to jump into it tonight!

Thanks for all your advice about the whole baby-making thing! I'm going to enjoy how I feel at the moment, and then after the summer perhaps look into trying....eek! :P
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    The problem is that I'm staying at my grandma's so she would know...she'd likely be the one buying the stuff or else I would just not make anything and not really have much to eat, in which case everyone would be so pissy, whispery, and just judgey. I would probably make a side dish too... I honestly can't stomach a lot of the heavy dishes that people make and I wind up gassy and sick from it. Hmm..what to do. what to do.

ahhh gotcha! yeah I can't stomach heavy foods and end up feeling sick. My grandparents think I am wasting away now since losing weight... (my grandfather couldn't stop talking about skinny I look and I am at fight weight now apparently lol) and to find out I am vegetarian they would probably think I am not eating enough. I should show them diary of what I eat. I probably out eat them both. :laugh:
    Options

ahhh gotcha! yeah I can't stomach heavy foods and end up feeling sick. My grandparents think I am wasting away now since losing weight... (my grandfather couldn't stop talking about skinny I look and I am at fight weight now apparently lol) and to find out I am vegetarian they would probably think I am not eating enough. I should show them diary of what I eat. I probably out eat them both. :laugh:

Same here! Calories aren't a problem but I'm picky about what I eat. I don't enjoy putting garbage into my body unless it's self selected garbage that I'll truly enjoy. lol.

@love: just do your thing Ms Thang - you know that you're healthy, you know that you've got this under control, who cares what they think! I have a similar issue, but around the other way. Because I was so heavy I always feel like if I eat too much in front of everyone then they'll start taking wagers on how long until I balloon up again lol. Not really, but I eat a lot anyways and I usually get the "how can you eat all that and STILL lose weight?!" or I'll get the "ooooh, that won't go down well next weigh in" ....aargh

Yeah, you're right. Just say screw it. If they have questions or concerns they can address me about it. No point in worrying about it! Thanks :)
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

Just say that you've developed sensitivities to the heavier ingredients like the evap milk etc so you wouldn't be able to eat the regular kind.
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options

I've thought about getting some barefoot shoes actually, mainly for weight lifting purposes. I think they wouldn't work for my running style. I'm a trail runner and usually run in the mountains and forest, so I think that might be painful without serious shoes. Not sure though.

It will be fine for that actually - the rubber on the bottoms protects your feet from anything really nasty and trail runners don't tend to land as hard or heel strike (as I understand from my reading).

I also wear barefoot shoes and I am quite happy with them - I supposedly have weak arches and the doctors and foot store always want to put me in special inserts but I hate shoes AND inserts.

I will say - your feet are WEAK from years of shoes. Mine were weak even from sandals. I recommend walking in them, powerwalking espcially (or 'racewalking') to strengthen your feet.

Oh that's really good to hear actually. I've been wanting to try them out for awhile now. I'm thinking of looking at a pair this week or next week. Not really sure what's available here in Germany, guess I'll have to look and see what they have. There's this great local outdoors store near my house, I buy all of my gear there and I saw a bunch of barefoot shoes there last time. And tons of young cute guys working there. :)
  • tameko2
    Options
    Speaking of not eating heavy foods I've been meaning to do another poll about what people (on this thread I mean) do and don't eat and why.

Although, I should tally up the results from the last one since I think that would be interesting. More and more I think I should have been a 4 but that is excruciatingly hard to admit to myself and others for some reason.... All told, I will probably end up losing 75 lbs. Ugh. Hard to even think about it.

So:

1) Do you avoid any foods or types of food? How much do you avoid them? (Never eat any, eat only a little, try not to eat but rarely succeed, etc)

2) Do you have any macros you follow (or try to follow) very strictly - like never going over 100 grams of carbs or staying under a certain amount of fat?

3) If you answered yes to any of the above - why?

(I'm procrastinating REALLY HARD at work right now, in case anyone can't tell ^_^; )
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Speaking of not eating heavy foods I've been meaning to do another poll about what people (on this thread I mean) do and don't eat and why.

Although, I should tally up the results from the last one since I think that would be interesting. More and more I think I should have been a 4 but that is excruciatingly hard to admit to myself and others for some reason.... All told, I will probably end up losing 75 lbs. Ugh. Hard to even think about it.

So:

1) Do you avoid any foods or types of food? How much do you avoid them? (Never eat any, eat only a little, try not to eat but rarely succeed, etc)

2) Do you have any macros you follow (or try to follow) very strictly - like never going over 100 grams of carbs or staying under a certain amount of fat?

(I'm procrastinating REALLY HARD at work right now, in case anyone can't tell ^_^; )

Hey Tameko - you and me both!!

In answer to your questions:

1) I don't rule out any type of food - If I want it then I'll have it....but in saying that I do avoid eating potato chips because I can finish a whole bag before I even know what hit me and I get a weird greasy skin feeling after doing so. I also avoid things like chinese or pasta simply because of how they make me feel afterwards and even the next day...urgh!

2) Macros - I only really focus on my protein, I try to get at least 120grams of protein a day. I'm way up on carbs this week due to TOM and the kinds of things I feel like eating, but I'm not obsessive about it. All I look at is my protein :)

*cue Psych flexing muscles* lol
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options

So:

1. I am vegetarian. I don't eat any meat (including fish) I don't drink cow milk. I avoid it but if I am out but if I am out and get a latte I will drink. I use only almond milk at home. I could probably be vegan if I could get rid of cheese. I haven't had meat in a long time. I have cow milk because I am addicted to lattes. lol But it isn't at home. If starbucks could just have almond milk I would be all set.
    ETA: I almost forgot I make almost every meal from scratch, so no processed foods. No HFCS especially and try eat mainly organic. I try and keep soy down to a minimum.

2. I don't restrict any, but I do try and stay below my fat and carbs. I try and go over on my protein though.

3. Vegetarian because I don't like meat, never really did. Also my diet tends to be lower in saturated fat. Also animal rights like how the animals are raised and fed. I don't want to get preachy because it is personal choice and I don't want to make people feel weird or anything like that. Cow milk because I personally don't think we need it to live. There are plenty of other sources in protein and calcium. I am lactose intolerant, but able to eat cheese and yogurt with no issues.
  • caveats
    caveats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    1. Processed, refined carbs, to a small extent. Preservatives and additives to a larger extent. I followed Atkins for only 6 months about 10 years ago, but the lessons I learned about nutrition and reading labels have stuck with me ever since (hell, prior to Atkins, I would never even touch diet soda). I still automatically look for better alternatives to refined flour and white sugar, although I will still eat that stuff -- in moderation -- because I love it and I'm not ashamed to admit I'm an Atkins failure. I'm just more conscious about when I choose to have it and how (I don't buy mass produced bakery shelf items, I only buy ice cream with real ingredients, etc.)

2. Protein goal at 130g/day. I love meat, but I still don't always succeed at hitting this goal (I've been going through different types of protein powders to find one that mixes well at work -- I just bought a canister of vanilla soy isolate at Whole Foods, my third type of protein powder -- but I'm just not a fan of them in general.) Fat I could care less about (only because I would only fail miserably and spiral into self-induced depression if I had to give up my lifelong love affair with butter). Carbs I try to stay under a 30% macro, but more often than not, I go over. I just raised carbs to 40%, in fact. We'll see how that goes ;)

3. The most important take-away from my Atkins stint is that the quality and "wholeness" of the food was more important to me than how it contributed to my low-fat, low-carb, low-calorie, or low-anything diet. Prime example: butter vs. margarine or butter spread. My mom used to use margarine because it was cheap. But I'd rather put the saturated fats from churned cream into my body than the synthesized vegetable/hydrogenized/whatever oils from margarine or even something "healthy" like Smart Balance. Not to say that a stick of butter/day is good for me -- just that when it comes to my pancakes, I want the REAL buttery goodness, thank you very much. ;) (And REAL maple syrup!)

*kicks the soap box out from underneath* Oooh, where did that come from? Naughty girl!

EDITED to add: I gotta admit, diet soda has become one of my worst weaknesses though. I can't bring myself to go back to real soda, and yet the $#@! in diet soda is SO AWFUL. Guiltyguiltyguiltyguiltyguilty. :(
  • UrbanRunner81
    Options
    I am at 2,221 calories, still have 300 calories left. Mmmmm snacks later!

Oh I am with you on diet soda. I can't do the real stuff, it has hfcs unless I get some natural soda but then it tastes way too sweet. I want to stop drinking soda all together, but for the occasional captain morgan I need that diet coke.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I just restocked on nutritional yeast....mmmmm! Tons of protein and nutrients --- and fiber!
  • lucyhoneychurch
    lucyhoneychurch Posts: 576 Member
    Options

1.) I've been avoiding dairy because I'm lactose intolerant (some cheese is ok). I drink enriched Coconut Dream Coconut Drink as my "milk"/use in cereal because I love me some coconut! It also tastes better than rice milk and has less calories than Lactaid. I avoid dairy because it sends me to the bathroom within 15 minutes. But lately I'm trying to keep track of foods that make me really, really gassy. Beans would qualify, and so does garlic (which I love) and broccoli, which makes me wonder how so many people can eat these foods and not mind being gassy? It bothers the heck outta me and don't know if my body just has to get used to being gassy or what! I've also been avoiding greasy foods (Chinese food) and fast food. I just eat at home or turn a blind eye when I'm getting a Happy Meal for my kiddos.

2.) Lately, macros have been driving me insane. I watch for Carbs, Protein, Fiber, Sugar and Fat, but have lots of red negatives every day. Except in the protein column, which is green, because I haven't mastered eating enough protein! I try to keep an eye on the carbs, but trying to balance everything is difficult. I am kind of happy that I at least have an awareness that the macros are there.
  • tameko2
    Options
    Teresa - drink good booze and you won't need the coke. I'm a big fan of cocktails - most do not contain soda, but 'bad' (to my tastes, I'm a booze snob - I'll be honest) booze needs it to hide the taste of the bad.

The one thing I really like that does contain soda is a dark and stormy - its dark rum and ginger beer and the rum doens't need to be super special, we used a cruzan that was under 20 bucks for hte bottle. Ginger beer is REALLY un-sweet. I mean its sweetened but hte taste of ginger is very strong and I think its a bit on the dry side compared to many sodas. Not to be confused with ginger ale by the way, ginger beer is different. You'll have to go to a shop that carries unusual sodas to get some - luckily that also means its mostly imported or from 'natural' companies that don't use HFCS.

Also you can make your own maraschino or brandy cherries for cocktails to avoid the nasty nasty process that the ones you get in jars come in (although I'll be honest -I'm lazy and I use the jar ones, but the real stuff is GOOOOOD). On friday I had a drink that was gin (careful with gin, lots of variation there - junipero is considered a very good one but its particularly juniper-y.), creme de violette, and maraschino liquor. REally really yummy. Shaken wiht ice then poured into a martini glass.

I am not a soda drinker as we weren't raised with it. In fact I was raised fairly healthy - my mom was part of the organic gardening movement back before the certification even existed, I remember her getting these newsletters about it and getting all excited when it was announced that a certifying body would start offering farms official organic certification. We did eat pizza, fast food, and have soda on occasion but those were treats or convenience meals and not every day. We NEVER had good cereal, we ALWAYS had the laura scudders peanut butter, we always had whole grain bread ("wheat bread is just as bad as white!") and so on.

It sucked. I went to college and ate lucky charms and skippy peanut butter on WHITE bread with smuckers jam (always in the cafeteria along with the nasty cafeteria food) like a FIEND.
  • xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Well hello ladies!
    You guys have been busy! Great day yesterday...the Cardinals game was sooo exciting and I screamed my head off and jumped up and down so maybe I worked off one of the beers I drank pre-game?? lol! Yesterday was a bad food day and I wasn't going to log it but got inspired after reading here :) I thought it was about a 3000 cal day but I had to try to find alternate foods in the database because they don't have the places that I went. Came out about 2500 but I'm sure that was an underestimation :drinker:

Things I try to stay away from are: Soy (which is almost impossible), I quit diet coke cold turkey 8 months ago so now try to stay away from chemical sweeteners but will now have about 1 DC every two weeks as a treat, I don't do milk...ick it makes me feel sick but do ok with cheese and yogurt. No fried foods unless special occasion (ummm football), Don't like potato chips, no fast food. That's about it.

I try to meet my Protein and salt macros. I stay away from salt as much as possible....soo much hidden salt in stuff though:mad:

Feeling quite lazy today after a LONG day yesterday. It is also yucky out here...it's freezing, windy and raining all day on my day off, ugh! I did get a ride in on my horse, spent hours doing homework and now don't feel like going to the gym which sucks because I work the next two days which equals no exercise other than walking for 12 hours at work, haha!

I loathe the treadmill so I try to only run outside except in the summer here because it is HOT! Then I will suffer the treadmill but haven't been able to get past 30 minutes on the damn thing :laugh:

Ok going back to being lazy and make dinner.....maybe I'll do some abs so I don't feel like a total slob!!!
    Night night!

Edited to say-oops I don't think salt is a macro...see tired!
    Options

So:

1) I avoid all meat and some fish. I will eat salmon, tuna, shrimp, and most white fish. I don't eat shellfish aside from shrimp. I also don't drink/use cow milk. I don't eat "white carbs" because i think it's pointless when I could have something filled with fiber and nutrients.

2) I dont follow any macros strictly. I eat what I want, when i want for the most part. I aim for more protein when possible but always wind up eating 250-300g carbs and well over 100g of protein. I always get enough fiber, exceed my allotment of sodium, and I'm under in fat. Ideally I'd consume more fat, less carbs, and less salt. NOT low carb but I need more fat and something has to go to make room for it.

3) It's mostly a matter of taste preference and/or the food upsets my stomach. For meat I just never really liked it so I stopped eating it. I was vegan for a while but thought it was unhealthy to cut out SOOO many foods. I do eat loads of yogurt and cheese though and am fine with dairy in general but I just physically cannot stomach milk.