<3 support group for women eating 2000+ calories per day <3

Options

Replies

• dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    1. I avoid processed, refined foods, all red meat/pork/anything with nitrates (bacon/lunch meat/pepperoni) etc. I avoid candy, sweets, etc and only indulge a few times a year with all that..Also avoid artificial sweetners except for stevia. I try to eat all organic, but def. only eat organic eggs/chicken and try to eat as much organic fruits and veggies. Dont do white mile, almond milk instead.

2. I try to go for 40/30/30 carb/protein/fat.

3. Because this is a healthy diet! and macros because thats close to p90x diet plan which I am currently doing so trying to build lean muscle!!!
  • shitzman
    Options
    Is this what you've always done? How far do you run? I'm 41 and feel like no matter what I do nothing is working!!! i believe my hormones really has something to do with it. I am so frustrated with the body fat that I could scream!! Any ideas?
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    1) Do you avoid any foods or types of food? How much do you avoid them? (Never eat any, eat only a little, try not to eat but rarely succeed, etc)
    2) Do you have any macros you follow (or try to follow) very strictly - like never going over 100 grams of carbs or staying under a certain amount of fat?

1) I avoid fruit most of the time, mostly because I've never been too much of a fruit person, but it's also kind of a carryover from so many months of carb cycling. Since I ate low carb most of the time, most fruit wasn't an option anyway though I'd treat myself to some lower carb ones like fresh blueberries/strawberries on occasion. These days I eat a Chobani yogurt almost every day & there's some fruit in those, & I also like prosciutto for a high-protein snack but it's really salty, so I'll eat it with grapes. YUM.

Since I quit low carbing & dropped my calories, I avoid fat more than I used to since it's obviously calorie-dense. I also try to avoid sugar because if I overdo it, it tends to trigger cravings. I never have that issue if I eat complex carbs, & do love my whole wheat pasta, oatmeal & popcorn. We haven't had a bag of sugar in our house for probably a year. I'm not fussy about artificial sweeteners & although Truvia is my favorite for coffee, it's expensive so I'll use a packet of Truvia & a packet of stevia or Sweet N' Low in my coffee. When I started low carbing the detox from sugar made the most significant difference in the way I felt - I just felt "cleaner." I limit most of my sweets to Spike Day, though I'll have an odd treat here or there thru the week if I have extra calories.

I avoid sweet drinks for a couple of reasons - I think drinking calories is pointless because I'd much rather EAT them, & although I have no objection to diet pop & even like it, the more I drink sweet things, the less I want water & that's not good. So I'll have my morning coffee & a post-workout shake, but apart from that I rarely drink anything but water.

2) I used to micromanage my macros, 90g fat/60g nc/198g protein, but that got tedious so I recently simplified & now I just try to do 144g protein & eat whatever to get to my calorie target. I'm also much less religious about it. If I have lunch plans or something I don't bend over backwards trying to find something high-protein & I don't flip out if I'm short for the day. I do try harder to make 144g a minimum on my weight lifting days though, I've noticed I have a hard time progressing & sometimes I even regress if I haven't been keeping my protein up before lifting.

I also shoot for 1 gallon of water a day.
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    I am so frustrated with the body fat that I could scream!! Any ideas?
    Log every bite of food you eat every day, & get a regular exercise program in place. That's the best place to start.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Doing double workouts all week if anyone wants to join me! I've been feeling like a slacker, gotta get the energy to workout right when I get home in the morning from work, and when I wake up the evening. Running at least once, then a p90x workout. Anyone with me??
    I'm doing double workouts five days this week. I have a yoga class every day; running Sun-Tues-Thurs; weights Wed-Fri.
  • Samsara9
    Options
    Speaking of not eating heavy foods I've been meaning to do another poll about what people (on this thread I mean) do and don't eat and why.

Although, I should tally up the results from the last one since I think that would be interesting. More and more I think I should have been a 4 but that is excruciatingly hard to admit to myself and others for some reason.... All told, I will probably end up losing 75 lbs. Ugh. Hard to even think about it.

So:

1) Do you avoid any foods or types of food? How much do you avoid them? (Never eat any, eat only a little, try not to eat but rarely succeed, etc)

2) Do you have any macros you follow (or try to follow) very strictly - like never going over 100 grams of carbs or staying under a certain amount of fat?

3) If you answered yes to any of the above - why?

(I'm procrastinating REALLY HARD at work right now, in case anyone can't tell ^_^; )

1. I am vegetarian. I don't eat any meat (including fish) I don't drink cow milk. I avoid it but if I am out but if I am out and get a latte I will drink. I use only almond milk at home. I could probably be vegan if I could get rid of cheese. I haven't had meat in a long time. I have cow milk because I am addicted to lattes. lol But it isn't at home. If starbucks could just have almond milk I would be all set.
    ETA: I almost forgot I make almost every meal from scratch, so no processed foods. No HFCS especially and try eat mainly organic. I try and keep soy down to a minimum.

2. I don't restrict any, but I do try and stay below my fat and carbs. I try and go over on my protein though.

3. Vegetarian because I don't like meat, never really did. Also my diet tends to be lower in saturated fat. Also animal rights like how the animals are raised and fed. I don't want to get preachy because it is personal choice and I don't want to make people feel weird or anything like that. Cow milk because I personally don't think we need it to live. There are plenty of other sources in protein and calcium. I am lactose intolerant, but able to eat cheese and yogurt with no issues.

Ditto!! You and I could be twins :drinker: LOVE almond milk, especially in my Bhakti Chai :heart:
  • TluvK
    TluvK Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I missed so much and now I don't have to time to address it all, so I'm just going to blab on and on.

In summary, I eat pretty much everything, except I really don't enjoy anything deep fried. It makes me feel sluggish and flabby - it's probably been years since I've had something fried, including chips, and stuff. I love cheese, I like red meat, but if I had the choice I'd choose chicken or fish - LOVE seafood. But, like lucyhoneychurch (melissa), I am VERY gassy! I haven't figured it out yet - I'm really worried I'm either developing a wheat issue or a lactose issue....either one would devastate me! I need to keep better track of when it's happening, but when it happens it HURTS - like stabbing pain, and this happens 3-4 times a week. :grumble:

Anyway - had to run this by you ladies. My very best friend called today to tell me that she and her husband are in a huge fight. She is a health conscious person and always has been. Her husband was an overweight child who grew up being fed less than nutritious meals. He put himself on a diet when he was 12, much to his parent's dismay. Ever since, he's been obsessed with fat, sugar, etc. Everything he eats is sugar free, fat free, etc. Anyway, she took her kids to McDonalds this weekend because they were on the road (her kids are 4 and 6 and this might be their 3rd trip to a fast food joint in their whole lives). They get home and her daughter tells her dad that they went to McDonalds and he says, in front of both kids and my friend, "Only a horrible mother would take her kids to McDonalds - you should only go there if you're being punished for something". He called her a horrible mother in front of her children!! For taking them to McDonalds! I'm just appalled. She's really pissed. I wasn't sure what to say to her...what I did say was, "What a *kitten*" but, you know, there is a fine line when you're insulting your friend's husband while they're fighting. Plus - he refuses to apologize because he's sticking to his claim...:angry:
  • xcjumper
    xcjumper Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    But, like lucyhoneychurch (melissa), I am VERY gassy! I haven't figured it out yet - I'm really worried I'm either developing a wheat issue or a lactose issue....either one would devastate me! I need to keep better track of when it's happening, but when it happens it HURTS - like stabbing pain, and this happens 3-4 times a week. :grumble:

I have the exact same problems as you two ladies. It is AWFUL! Most days (usually at work when I can't pass gas freely) I am in an incredible amount of pain. I can not for the life of me figure out what's doing it. I do eat a lot of fiber and that's what I figured was the problem. I guess I should keep track of it in my tracker but I better make my diary private then because you guys don't want to know when I'm a gassy 'mo fo' :blushing: Does anyone know what this is? No gas yesterday when I ate like hell though...hmmm

TluvK- Sorry about your friend. That is just awful. He could have brought it up in private though. Guy sounds like he has issues which we all do and I can understand..... but dissing your kids mother in front of the children is down right disrespectful and unforgivable in my book.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies! Groups are up! I created a group for all of us to join and keep discussion going - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day

And, since Love4fitnesslove4food created this wonderful thread, I will definitely add her as a moderator. :flowerforyou:
  • Kim55555
    Kim55555 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I'm only up to page 3. I'll have to catch up sometime.

Just wanted to tell you. I had the nicest compliment from my sister and she is usually very critical.

She told me my legs are looking ripped. I said you can even see my quads cant you. She said yeah there is a lot of muscle definition in the legs. haha The way she was going on about it. She was very animated!!

When I'm walking towards a mirror I can actually see the quad muscles. lol calves and hammys nicely defined too.

I just need to work on my tummy now. That is the last body fat to go.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    tluvk that is ridiculously messed up. She needs to have a talk with him or maybe send him to a therapist.

I think junk food in moderation is a HEALTHY way to raise children. The vast majority of people are confronted with junk multiple times a day - teaching kids when junk food is a fun or convenient splurge vs something to avoid is a life skill in the modern age. I think telling peopel they can never do X pretty much guarantees at least half of them will go HOG WILD with it at some point in their lives.
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options

Gosh, you lot are so healthy... :wink:
    1) No - apart from food I just don't like, for example very hot or spicy stuff. That's not a health reason, though.
    2) No
    3) I'm lazy

Did some more weights and then my pilates class yesterday. I've a question for you ladies who lift heavy weights - what would be a typical number of reps and rest between sets? And how many sets would you do? Thanks!
  • scarletleavy
    scarletleavy Posts: 841 Member
    Options

1. I do my best to avoid junk food, fast food, fried food as much as possible. I never eat anything fried and occasionally I'll have some candy or ice cream. I do love to bake so I'm not opposed to homemade cookies, cakes, cupcakes, etc. I don't eat fast food at all. I used to be a vegetarian (and a vegan for awhile), but for health reasons I couldn't keep it up.

2. I try to eat a pretty Paleo diet. I eat a lot of protein and a lot of fat and I try to keep my carbs between 75 and 125. I don't eat bread or pasta at all and occasionally I'll eat white rice. I'm obsessed with Asian food so I have to have the rice in there occasionally, but I limit my serving size.

3. I've been trying to listen to my body more to understand my hunger cues and how different foods affect my body in different ways. I had digestive issues for a long time, but they've essentially cleared up since I started limiting carbs and eating more protein and fat. I used to be bloated and in pain, I used to have the worst stomach cramps ever, like doubled over in pain kind of cramps. So basically because my body told me too.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    tluvk that is ridiculously messed up. She needs to have a talk with him or maybe send him to a therapist.

I think junk food in moderation is a HEALTHY way to raise children. The vast majority of people are confronted with junk multiple times a day - teaching kids when junk food is a fun or convenient splurge vs something to avoid is a life skill in the modern age. I think telling peopel they can never do X pretty much guarantees at least half of them will go HOG WILD with it at some point in their lives.

This!

questions:
    1. no, I eat a little (or a lot) of whatever I want.
    2. not strictly, no, but I try to go lower sugar and higher protein when confronted with the choice.
    3. too lazy to be strict, not motivated enough
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Hi ladies! Groups are up! I created a group for all of us to join and keep discussion going - http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17-women-eating-2-000-calories-per-day

And, since Love4fitnesslove4food created this wonderful thread, I will definitely add her as a moderator. :flowerforyou:

Aaaw thanks. I'd love that :)
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    @kim...great compliment!! I love genuine compliments that come out if the blue.

@tluvk...I'd be afraid for the kids...sounds like the dads food issues could wind up giving the kids food issues themselves...not good. She should really have a heart to heart with him about it. They can't shelter their kids from bad food forever. What an *kitten*.

Well, I got a compliment yesterday. Someone at the gym told me that I look like I was born to run. It made me feel great.
  • stubbysticks
    Options
    Did some more weights and then my pilates class yesterday. I've a question for you ladies who lift heavy weights - what would be a typical number of reps and rest between sets? And how many sets would you do? Thanks!
    Reps should be as many as you can possibly do before muscular failure, so you should add enough weight for this to happen within 8-12 reps. Reps should be at a slow, controlled cadence, 3-5 seconds per rep - basically 2 seconds up, 2 seconds down. Rest breaks should be 2-3 minutes, my guideline is the bigger the muscle group, the longer the rest. So for squats & chest press I put 3 min between sets. Seated rows & abs I'll only do 2 min rests.

This is all assuming your goal is optimal muscular growth...if you were aiming for strength (even lower reps, more weight) or endurance (higher reps, lower weight) you'd train differently.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

I can't think of anything I actively avoid. Except maybe Pop Tarts, and that's because I only ate them because they were quick and easy, but if I'm going to have that many calories for breakfast, I'd rather something that actually tastes good and has even a little bit of nutrition.

I aim to get over 100g protein, but the others I just let them fall where they may.

Just trying to stick with about 1g of protein per pound of lean body weight. Since I started going that, I'm more satisfied with what I'm eating, have more energy, feel stronger, and I'm getting a little bit of muscle definition.
  • caiconCristi
    caiconCristi Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    questions:
    1. no, I eat a little (or a lot) of whatever I want.
    2. not strictly, no, but I try to go lower sugar and higher protein when confronted with the choice.
    3. too lazy to be strict, not motivated enough
    [/quote]

this--for me. i know what's healthy but I can make myself crazy over thqt stuff (ie ED) So now it's all about feeling good day by day and making choices from there. Does fast food or crap make me feel good? 99% of the time-- no, so I usually don't go for it. But sometimes I love McDonald's fries that are super hot, crunchy and covered in salt! (Do I pay for it later--yes.) Right now I'm thrilled when I don't go into a downward spiral over over eating when I'm out for dinner because I still have some crazy thoughts that I'll never be able to have that food again. I should get it in now before I have to diet tomorrow. I really love MFP because I just keep at it day by day--no need to lose it mentally.
  • fimm
    fimm Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Oh, and bizarrely, I weighed 56kg exactly this morning. Don't know how that happened as I definitely haven't been eating for it! I guess it won't stay that low for long (so I'll just keep off the scale for a bit! :wink: )

WRT what I eat - my boyfriend got interested in the "paleo diet" recently, so we have been experimenting with some ideas from that (or he has, more than me). Really just less bread and refined carbs like pasta - but not cutting that sort of thing out completely. We had some totally yummy cake from the patesserie over the weekend, for example, but we do try and keep that sort of thing for an occassional treat.