Gaining Muscle is NOT that easy.

Options

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    If you were seeking a trainer they would do that for you if that's what you wanted. I don't take measurements on regular clients unless they comply since it's very personal for some of them (some women don't want me pinching them on various areas on their body). You keep thinking that everyone is thinking like you. The majority of bodybuilders, especially men don't have trainers. They may have training partners for spotting and motivation, but except for the one's that actually make money, they train with knowledge they've accrued through trial and error.

I'm only thinking for myself. I have never said that people should think like me.

There's more than one way to get a person's body fat percentage than a caliper. I have a caliper, but don't use it. I own a 6 year old body fat scale and a 2 month old Omron Handheld body fat monitor. Both gives me the same body fat reading.

A lot of trainers use the Omron handheld body fat monitor.

those are known for being inaccurate. I would laugh at my trainer if he wanted to give me an accurate reading with one of those hand held ones or a body fat% scale.
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    I would listen to some of the people in this thread then.

How many are personal trainers?
  • AZackery
    Options
    those are known for being inaccurate. I would laugh at my trainer if he wanted to give me an accurate reading with one of those hand held ones or a body fat% scale.

What's 100% accurate?

Mine is giving me the same body fat percentage my scale is giving me. I trust them.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    Agreed. I've been lifting 8lbs of dumbbells and doing 25lbs of kettlebell workouts, but there was no big change and I am working out a couple of months ago :)) I am lazy to do this type of workout, but maybe you guys like www.bodyrock.tv
    Check it out!
    Options

What's 100% accurate?

Mine is giving me the same body fat percentage my scale is giving me. I trust them.

I didn't say 100% there are ones that are more accurate then others.

For an accurate measure I get mine tested in the bod pod.
    Options
    I would listen to some of the people in this thread then.

How many are personal trainers?

Uh I have met a lot of personal trainers who don't know *kitten* honestly. So saying that really doesn't help.
    A lot of these people know what they are talking about and have many years of experience backing them up.
  • AZackery
    Options

My scale and Omron Handheld monitor is accurate to me.

People have gotten a dunk test done and then a test done by an Omron handheld monitor and have came out with the same body fat percentage. The dunk test is said to be more accurate than any other body fat percentage device.

I tell anyone, whatever works for you, go with it. I'm not going to let anyone turn me away from my scale and Omron handheld device. Something has to be accurate for me, to have two devices giving me the same reading.
  • AZackery
    Options
    Uh I have met a lot of personal trainers who don't know *kitten* honestly. So saying that really doesn't help.
    A lot of these people know what they are talking about and have many years of experience backing them up.

You have told me that I should listen to some of the people on here. Who were you referring to and what makes them know what they are talking about?
    Options

My scale and Omron Handheld monitor is accurate to me.

People have gotten a dunk test done and then a test done by an Omron handheld monitor and have came out with the same body fat percentage. The dunk test is said to be more accurate than any other body fat percentage device.

I tell anyone, whatever works for you, go with it. I'm not going to let anyone turn me away from my scale and Omron handheld device. Something has to be accurate for me, to have two devices giving me the same reading.

I wouldn't say its more accurate. But more convenient and not as expensive! Being an athlete I do not have to pay for the bod pod which is lucky :] I used the body fat % scale and the bod pod gave me a very different reading
  • AZackery
    Options
    I wouldn't say its more accurate. But more convenient and not as expensive! Being an athlete I do not have to pay for the bod pod which is lucky :] I used the body fat % scale and the bod pod gave me a very different reading

Use what's best for you. All body fat percentage devices have errors.
    Options

You have told me that I should listen to some of the people on here. Who were you referring to and what makes them know what they are talking about?

Ninerbuff is an obvious one. Also pay attention to PB67's posts. Im just saying that they have a ton of experience. And PB will give you plenty of peer reviewed studies. You don't have much backing you up at the moment. Maybe try to open up to some of the replys they are giving :]
  • AZackery
    Options
    Ninerbuff is an obvious one. Also pay attention to PB67's posts. Im just saying that they have a ton of experience. And PB will give you plenty of peer reviewed studies. You don't have much backing you up at the moment. Maybe try to open up to some of the replys they are giving :]

They don't have much backing them up either.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options

Are you really that dense* ? Decades of experience, consistent good info, and a good physique to back it up. I guess that's not much though.

Keep up the good work, speading lulz on the boards. Have you considered starting a blog or newsletter?

* specifically - steel dumbbell dense, as opposed to ream of copy paper dense
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I still don't understand what we are arguing about. AZ, you think it IS easy to gain muscle?
  • prdough
    prdough Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    azackary, regardless of what arguments you are making, do you really think you will change people's minds?

If you believe that you are correct, use this as fuel to prove it to everyone! follow your program and get muscular without lifting! If some actress can do it in 60 days, give it 90 days and post an update. You will have a lot more credibility then.

I for one think you should give it a shot. If it doesn't work well for you, try lifting weights and see if you can see a difference. Prove it to yourself instead of using actresses and athletes as anecdotal evidence.

Me, I'm going to keep lifting to preserve the muscle i have.

Cheers and good luck!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I have to use paper, I can't pick up dumbells
  • AZackery
    Options
    I will end this by saying this. No one has told me how a person can tell if they are gaining muscles.

There's a formula people can use to tell how much of their scale weight is from fat and how much is from lean body mass.

Anyone that doesn't believe me, feel free to search the internet.

Formula:

Weight x Body fat percentage = Pounds of fat
    Weight - Pounds of fat = Lean body mass

If there's a formula that people can use to track their fat/lean body mass gain/loss, then surely there should be a formula a person can use to track their muscle gain.

Fact: No one that's trying to lose weight can step on their scale and see a 20 pounds scale weight loss and say they have loss 20 pounds of fat. In order for a person to know how much fat they have loss, they need to know their body fat percentage and do the math to see how much fat they have loss.

Fact: Fat loss and scale weight loss aren't the same thing. Why? A person can lose 5 pounds of scale weight in an hour, but they can't lose 5 pounds of fat in an hour.

Fact: A person can't step on their scale and see a 20 pounds scale weight gain and say they have gained 20 pounds of muscles. In order for a person to know how much muscle or should I say lean body mass, they have gained, they need to know their body fat percentage and do the math to see how much lean body mass they have gained.

Fact: A lot of people, including bodybuilders sees an increase in lean body mass as muscle gain. They use the formula I have shared to track both their fat loss and muscles gain.

Fact: It's not easy to gain muscles or to lose pounds of fat. I know that scale weight gain, can be a result of muscle gain.

To me there's a difference between regular muscular arms and bodybuilder muscular arms.

Madonna has regular muscular arms. She's not a bodybuilder. Chyna is a bodybuilder and she has bulky arms. I don't believe the time to get either arms are the same. That's why I believe that a person can get regular muscular arms in a short period of time. To me, 1, 2, 3 and 4 months is fast. Time goes fast.

I'm not aiming to gain muscles, but if I see scale weight gain, I will definitely check to see if I have gained muscles. I don't care if it's 1 pound of muscle.

People are going to believe what they want to believe. I believe that a person can get regular muscular arms in a short period of time.

I believe that in order for a person to find out if they have gained muscles, they need to use the formula I have shared above.

Okay, I'm done. No one needs to reply to anything I have said, because I'm moving along. This is my last post. Everyone continue to do what you feel is right for your body. Keep believing what you want to believe.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options

Are you really that dense* ? Decades of experience, consistent good info, and a good physique to back it up. I guess that's not much though.

Keep up the good work, speading lulz on the boards. Have you considered starting a blog or newsletter?

* specifically - steel dumbbell dense, as opposed to ream of copy paper dense

+1

I've gotten a pretty good laugh at most of AZackery's posts. There's no reason for me to respond since Ninerbuff did so with what I would have said anyway.

And as far as her last post...she asks us to "feel free to search the internet" rather than peer reviewed scientific studies...cause obviously some blogger in his basement with no real training and most likely is hiding his flabby physique behind his computer knows more than the researchers and actual bodybuilders who live this stuff on a daily basis. Whateva...
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    Madonna has regular muscular arms. She's not a bodybuilder. Chyna is a bodybuilder and she has bulky arms. I don't believe the time to get either arms are the same. That's why I believe that a person can get regular muscular arms in a short period of time.

Wow, you do realize that Madonna LIFTS WEIGHTS and that Chyna is on STEROIDS? Kinda different, ya know.

I'm a fan of Madonna from way back, and her workout routines are probably more than a person such as yourself could handle. Lots of weight lifting, yoga/pilates, and cardio...

Chyna, just like many other current and ex wrestlers, got "bulky" because of too much testosterone injections...
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    Weight x Body fat percentage = Pounds of fat
    Weight - Pounds of fat = Lean body mass

How does that work?? Which category does blood, stomach contents, bones and vital organs fit into - fat or lean body mass??