Gaining Muscle is NOT that easy.

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Ninerbuff, you and I have been discussing this matter. Have you came at me in a immature way? There have been people on here that came at me in an immature way. Not once did they try to share their knowledge of things. So, I wasn't talking about you.

I'm proud to work in the medical field. Just because you are a personal trainer, it doesn't mean you can speak for everyone's body, because you can't. Anyone can become a personal trainer. I know you aren't going to tell me that I'm lying.

You couldn't even tell me how a person can tell when they have gained muscles. At least, I have shown people how they can tell when they have gain/loss pounds of fat/lean body mass.

Looking in a mirror, taking pictures, etc. can't tell a person how much muscles they have gained. It can show them their progress, just like picture will show a person, who's trying to lose weight their progress. That's why people take before, middle, and after pictures.

You don't know who is lurking on this thread. Someone might want to get into bodybuilding and they may be wondering how they can tell if they are gaining muscles. You have said that a lot of bodybuilders don't have trainers. That they have partners.

I still believe there's a formula bodybuilders uses to tell if they are gaining muscles. Rather you want people to believe it or not, many bodybuilders uses the formula I have shared to show people how to determine how much muscle they have gained.

Prime example:

Scooby is a bodybuilder. I will share one of his youtube videos, where he shows people how to use a caliper. He states that it's important to know your body fat percentage, so you can know if the pounds you have gained is fat or muscles. He has a website as well that explain things.

His calculator follows the formula I have shared.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPy-D9LZQqM

Every bodybuilder is different. If I had to refer to one, I would go with one that see things like I do.
    That's fair enough. I know the average person who trains to put on muscle will want to know their progress on muscle gained and I would use the basic formula of body fat % and lean body mass to approximate what they may have gained. I never said I didn't do it.
    I'm sure that there are some bodybuilders that do check their body fat consistently (mostly naturals since it's harder to lose fat without drug help), but in the offseason it doesn't make sense to pay attention to it since your fat goes up (since you're in surplus) and the measurements would keep going up as weight was gained.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I didn't say 100% there are ones that are more accurate then others.

For an accurate measure I get mine tested in the bod pod.
    The new gym where I applied for work has one. If I'm hired there, I'll get mine checked for sure.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    you did gain muscle. one cannot get stronger without gaining muscle.
    Dude, you need to stop embarassing yourself. You can lift one week, then the next week not lift the same weight (weaker) and the next week lift more than usual. This is improbable that you "gained" muscle. You were just STRONGER that day. Everyone goes through this at one time or another. Energy sources and adrenaline directly have effects on your strength.
  • cloud2011
    cloud2011 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    There's also a genetic component. Look at athletes. Some are built for long distance running (not so muscular), others for shotput or swimming (more muscle, even among women). So for some women, it IS easy to put on muscle, so I think you have to know your body type and what works and what doesn't.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    First off if rowing, swimming, and running is not resistance training define resistance.

Second any time you stress your muscles beyond what there used to they break down, after that the body repairs them. Do it consistently the protects itself from farther damage by building more muscle fibers. This is how streangth is built. Any activity can become resistance training if the muscles are breaking down. This may not be the fastest way to build muscle but ot will build.
    Strength is build by PROGRESSIVE OVERLOAD. You can' breakdown muscles everyday and not gain. This is scientifically proven.
    Muscles break down when marathon runners run. Are their upperbody's getting muscle? Again stop.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Only in the short term. In the long run the body builds more muscle tissue to prevent ferther damage.
    If you're going to make statements you need to emphasize. To keep progressing in strength, you will more than likely need to build muscle. But if you just want to be stronger, you can "condition" the muscle to do it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Then how do you explain how elite Olympic Weightlifters increase their lifts while remaining in the same weight class.
    Exactly. This is where "conditioning" the muscle to improve strength is apparent. They have to compete in weight classes so they can't gain weight or may have to moved to a different class.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Resistance training forces an overload of muscle fibers. Running and swimming do not overload the muscles. Muscle fatigue is not the same thing as overload. Plus running and swimming use different muscle fibers. Muscles need to be overloaded in order to grow, they do not need to grow to get stronger.

I'll use my favorite rope example. You have 4 pieces of rope attached to one pulley. You attach one of the 4 ropes to a box, and the others hang free. That's an untrained muscle, it can't lift the box. Now you attach the other 3 ropes to the box and lift it. The ropes didn't get bigger, they are the same rope, but they got stronger, as they are all being used together. That's how muscle gets stronger without gaining mass.

Now overload would be after attaching all 4 ropes, you still can't lift the box, so you go out and buy a couple more ropes and attach those to the box as well. Now you've grown your rope and increased the strength more, in order to lift the box. That's muscle growth.
    A great explanation and one I'm stealing from you!!!!
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have been gaining and maintaining so I guess I am not gaining muscle or losing weight. I started a fat burner thru the direct supervision of a trainer friend who is a GM for GNC and I weigh n on Monday. I wonder if I will see any results. Wish me luck yall. AND SUNSHINE... shes always shinning so BACK OFF... lol love ya gurl. You are my motivation
    Fat burners are responsible for about 1% of your total weight loss. IMO, since I've tried numerous brands and formulas in 20+ years of natural training, is that you only need to use them in the last stages of weight loss to assist when you're near a goal weight and your metabolism will be slower.
  • Libby81
    Libby81 Posts: 734 Member
    Options

I plan on being a personal trainer in the near future. I'm a detailed person and I will not leave my clients in the dark.

I would listen to some of the people in this thread then.

Exactly what I was going to say. These people are in the industry that you don't want to be part of. It's like arguing the Law with a Judge come on.

Oh and full marks on the amazing use of english in this thread :noway: not that it's relevant but I find an argument always comes across stronger when versed correctly
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    I have been gaining and maintaining so I guess I am not gaining muscle or losing weight. I started a fat burner thru the direct supervision of a trainer friend who is a GM for GNC and I weigh n on Monday. I wonder if I will see any results. Wish me luck yall. AND SUNSHINE... shes always shinning so BACK OFF... lol love ya gurl. You are my motivation

Aww :D You are awesome!

Good luck to you ^-^
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    First off if rowing, swimming, and running is not resistance training define resistance.

Second any time you stress your muscles beyond what there used to they break down, after that the body repairs them. Do it consistently the protects itself from farther damage by building more muscle fibers. This is how streangth is built. Any activity can become resistance training if the muscles are breaking down. This may not be the fastest way to build muscle but ot will build.

Resistance training forces an overload of muscle fibers. Running and swimming do not overload the muscles. Muscle fatigue is not the same thing as overload. Plus running and swimming use different muscle fibers. Muscles need to be overloaded in order to grow, they do not need to grow to get stronger.

I'll use my favorite rope example. You have 4 pieces of rope attached to one pulley. You attach one of the 4 ropes to a box, and the others hang free. That's an untrained muscle, it can't lift the box. Now you attach the other 3 ropes to the box and lift it. The ropes didn't get bigger, they are the same rope, but they got stronger, as they are all being used together. That's how muscle gets stronger without gaining mass.

Now overload would be after attaching all 4 ropes, you still can't lift the box, so you go out and buy a couple more ropes and attach those to the box as well. Now you've grown your rope and increased the strength more, in order to lift the box. That's muscle growth.
    Thanks for the explaining it clearly. :flowerforyou:
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Was there any 220lbs at 9% bodyfat pics?? haha
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

There was a 200lb pic that offhand looked in the teens, but he was laying down so it's pretty hard to estimate.

I'm certainly nothing impressive, but for reference, I'm 182 and about 12% right now. 220 and 9% is JACKED and would turn heads walking down the street, IMO.
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Exactly. And remember, he's beeing training HARD since 7 years old. haha
  • PB67
    PB67 Posts: 376
    Options

^^Holding his breath for the pic, passed out, just woke up^^
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There was a 200lb pic that offhand looked in the teens, but he was laying down so it's pretty hard to estimate.

I'm certainly nothing impressive, but for reference, I'm 182 and about 12% right now. 220 and 9% is JACKED and would turn heads walking down the street, IMO.
    At 185lbs I'm at 18%. And I've seen 220 at 6' and 10% and that's jacked. The dude was just shooting the bull. If he was a "champion" like he said, then he should have qualified for the Olympics.:laugh:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    how very surprising that a competitive swimmer is not 220lbs and 9% BF :tongue: I don't think those figures generally make for the most streamline of swimmers.