Safeway groceries are horrible people.

Options

Replies

• HollieDoodles
    HollieDoodles Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Safeway is a store, not a people. Kinda weird to judge everyone that works at one of their stores.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I sometimes "forget" to pay for things at Safeway when their advertised sales don't actually ring up correctly. I recoup my losses through future visits. Can't wait until another supermarket chain moves in town and I don't have to shop there anymore.

Stop! Thief!
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread is ignorant. Whether it was intentional or not, she shoplifted. They could have handled it a little better but still.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    WOW... I would have been labeled a criminal long ago if I shopped at Safeway. That's absurd. Awesome way to treat your customers.
    Really, you eat things and leave without paying for them? Then you are a criminal. And why is everyone jumping on Safeway like it's a sentient being? It was a store manager.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    How could management not known that if the parents were arrested the child would be taken?
    It's not their responsibility. Are you suggesting that stores should not prosecute shoplifters if they have children?
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I sometimes "forget" to pay for things at Safeway when their advertised sales don't actually ring up correctly. I recoup my losses through future visits. Can't wait until another supermarket chain moves in town and I don't have to shop there anymore.
    Don't you think taking the receipt to customer service and getting it fixed is a better option?
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread is ignorant. Whether it was intentional or not, she shoplifted. They could have handled it a little better but still.

exactly.
  • 2bFitNTrim
    2bFitNTrim Posts: 1,209 Member
    Options
    I think we have all forgotten to pay for something in the store before. When it was brought to her attention she was embarrassed and wanted to pay. They refused and arrested her and took her child away. I believe it went way too far.

I agree. The pregnant woman kept the pkg to be scanned & forgot to pay the $5 at the register. I know when I was pregnant, I couldn't get too hungry else I would get weak & faint. I needed to eat like NOW! They wouldn't let her pay, arrested her & took her child away. Seems very harsh to me.
  • Gigi_licious
    Gigi_licious Posts: 1,185 Member
    Options
    She got arrested NOT for eating in the store, but for forgetting to pay for the 2 sandwiches she ate. I read this on foxnews this morning. Although her and her husband being arrested and their baby being taken by child services for the night was incredibly EXTREME and ridiculous, they were NOT arressted for eating in the store. Get your gossip right before repeating.
  • maab_connor
    maab_connor Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    she stole. that's a crime. she got arrested. this is how this is supposed to go. that's actually why we have laws. and having the awesome superpower of making people, does not exempt you from law.

if the manager has a problem w/ theft in his area, it would explain the zero tolerance. or if they're having a problem w/ loss and word has come down from on high that they are now zero tolerance. or if he just had a bad morning. none of it matters. she stole. it's a crime. she got arrested.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    She got arrested NOT for eating in the store, but for forgetting to pay for the 2 sandwiches she ate. I read this on foxnews this morning. Although her and her husband being arrested and their baby being taken by child services for the night was incredibly EXTREME and ridiculous, they were NOT arressted for eating in the store. Get your gossip right before repeating.

THIS!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that it wasn't just the mom who ate and "forgot" to pay. The husband was there as well. It doesn't seem as likely that both of them would eat and "forget" to pay for the food.
    Taking their child from them seems too extreme to me though.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    How could management not known that if the parents were arrested the child would be taken?
    It's not their responsibility. Are you suggesting that stores should not prosecute shoplifters if they have children?
    Of COURSE her child would be taken by protective custody. Her parents shoplifted, and they got arrested. Next time, they'll pay for their sandwiches first.
  • gp79
    Options
    But c'mon...who goes to a grocery store, and EATS sandwiches while they shop. In all the years I have been grocery shopping I've never seen this.
  • gp79
    Options
    double post..
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    IDK, I could see forgetting to pay for the one she ate. Keeping track of the wrapper could be tricky but not paying for either one? Seems odd to me that she didn't pay for either one but only ate one of them. Intentional or not it's theft. If the store allows people to pay for things after they bust people, how would that keep people from shoplifting? You'd have to let most shopplifters go then because most people who shoplift do not do it because they don't have the money.

It may have been handled wrong. Perhaps you arrest one of the two instead of both so that one parent can take the child but I don't disagree with the arrest in general.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    LOL are you serious? I remember being a kid and my mom would open up something in the store and let me sit in the buggy and eat...people are a joke.

In this case, the woman ate some sandwiches while in the store and DID NOT PAY FOR THEM. That is theft.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-sandwich-arrest-20111101,0,6197311.story

Look at you, being sensible. Can't have that here, dear.
  • gp79
    Options
    $50 in groceries at safeway, in Hawaii is like a box of cereal and jug of milk.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Why didn't her husband remember to pay for the sandwich?

Child Protective Services and the police don't just run around arresting people and taking their children for the hell of it. If you want my wild speculation, the couple was probably argumentative "How DARE you prosecute a pregnant woman because she forgot something! I have pregnant brain and should be exempt from the rules!!!!!" ... so they cuffed them... and well, if you have to arrest parents, you gotta do something with the kids...

There are always three sides to a story, and we're only getting one side, maybe two. The important side (the truth), is all left up to speculation and assumptions by the media.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    But c'mon...who goes to a grocery store, and EATS sandwiches while they shop. In all the years I have been grocery shopping I've never seen this.

I have totally done this. I bring the wrapper / container to the checkout and put it on the conveyor belt with everything else. The cashier always just rings it up and asks if they can toss the container.