Safeway groceries are horrible people.

Options

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    She shoplifted.

Sometimes "oops, sorry" is not good enough.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    But c'mon...who goes to a grocery store, and EATS sandwiches while they shop. In all the years I have been grocery shopping I've never seen this.

I have totally done this. I bring the wrapper / container to the checkout and put it on the conveyor belt with everything else. The cashier always just rings it up and asks if they can toss the container.
    We will sometimes get something while we are there for our daughter to eat if we've been out for a long time and it's getting close to lunch time. Normally it's just a small package of peanuts or something like that, but we pay for it before we leave.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You steal food, you get arrested. That's how it works. The child was taken into protective custody because both parents were arrested. What are they gonna do? Leave the kid at home alone? No.
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    A pregnant woman who bought $50 worth of food got arrested because she ate while in the store.

http://start.toshiba.com/news/read.php?rip_id=<D9QNLEAG2@news.ap.org>&amp;ps=1011&amp;page=1

What's the problem?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    I just read that news article, yeah she ate a sandwich in the store and forgot to pay for it at the checkout. They arrested her and her husband, then the child welfare people took her little girl away for 18 hours. This was ridiculous! I say boycott Safeway, shop somewhere else!
    You do realize that people steal ALL the time from stores like Safeway by means of eating food. I've found wrappers on the shelves when I shop there. And who bears that cost.............the consumer. People can't be stupid and expect sympathy sometimes.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I honestly have trouble believing that the store would do this without good reason to believe they did it on purpose. Something just sounds fishy about this whole thing.
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    1. The store didn't take the kid away, that is the State's decision, not the store's.
    2. The parents stole. They only offered to pay for it once they got caught. The store correctly decided to enforce the no-shoplifting policy. If you tried on a diamond necklace and 'forgot' to take it off when you left the store, would you think the jewelry store was out of line for prosecuting? Shoplifting is shoplifting and Safeway was perfectly within their rights. In fact, I applaud them. People aren't except because they are pregnant or have kids. If you can't remember to pay for what you eat, don't eat. I eat in the store all the time, but I remember to pay for it. It's not that hard.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I honestly have trouble believing that the store would do this without good reason to believe they did it on purpose. Something just sounds fishy about this whole thing.
    What does fishy sound like? *wink*
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    Options
    This has to do more with the fact that police are spending county resources on arresting someone for this than Safeway for protecting their property.

With that being said, in some jurisdictions it is illegal to eat the food in the store without paying and is considered theft, even if you intend to pay for it later. I would hardly say that Safeway cracking down on theft is an overreaction. It sucks for her and hopefully she gets a good attorney who can help her with this, but it isn't Safeway's fault.
  • Jorra
    Options

Two people, one of whom can not use the "pregnant forgetty brain" excuse, both "forgot" to pay for the food. That sounds like a damn good reason to be suspicious to me.
  • ProudDaddy
    ProudDaddy Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    She probly just forgot, she bought 50 dollars worth of groceries. Its not like she grabbed something and ran out of the store. In paying toomuch for groceries, they probly got their money anyway..Thats just stupid. I dont think being pregnant had anything to do with it.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Shoplifting is a crime.

She committed a crime.

End of story.
    123456654321 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    What does fishy sound like? *wink*

*bubble bubble flap flap SPLASH* ......yup , that's my story and I'm sticking to it;)
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    Why didn't her husband remember to pay for the sandwich?

Child Protective Services and the police don't just run around arresting people and taking their children for the hell of it. If you want my wild speculation, the couple was probably argumentative "How DARE you prosecute a pregnant woman because she forgot something! I have pregnant brain and should be exempt from the rules!!!!!" ... so they cuffed them... and well, if you have to arrest parents, you gotta do something with the kids...

There are always three sides to a story, and we're only getting one side, maybe two. The important side (the truth), is all left up to speculation and assumptions by the media.
    I share your wild speculation :bigsmile:
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    This has to do more with the fact that police are spending county resources on arresting someone for this than Safeway for protecting their property.

With that being said, in some jurisdictions it is illegal to eat the food in the store without paying and is considered theft, even if you intend to pay for it later. I would hardly say that Safeway cracking down on theft is an overreaction. It sucks for her and hopefully she gets a good attorney who can help her with this, but it isn't Safeway's fault.

You didn't read any of the comments did you? That's not what happened.
  • AddA2UDE
    AddA2UDE Posts: 382
    Options
    This has absolutely nothing to do with sandwiches or eating in a store or......

It's THEFT! She is a THIEF! She got caught. She tried to play the "I forgot" card like most do when they get caught. That's what thieves/cheaters/liars do. They lie when caught. Ignorance is not a defense to violations of the law. If it were, we wouldn't need a judicial system or a correctional system. I don't agree with the family being separated. That being said, it still boils down to the simple fact that she consumed something that didn't belong to her (THEFT). If I test-drive the car you are trying to sell on Craigslist but "forget" to pay you for it, will you be mad or did I "just forget?" What? Your car is worth a lot more than the sandwich? This was a corporation rather than an individual? Still the same concept. Still the same relevance. Just not quite as much fun when it's YOUR stuff.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    Wait...so now we shouldn't arrest people who break the law because it might cost money?
  • Jorra
    Options

So...are you saying we should selectively arrest criminals based on whether or not it's a good use of county resources? That's what those resources are there for, arresting people!
  • inskydiamonds
    Options
    Wait...so now we shouldn't arrest people who break the law because it might cost money?

I'm not implying that.
    I am saying that Safeway does not decide who gets arrested. The police has that discretion and that power. Safeway can call the police on a shoplifter, but it comes down to whether or not the state is going to prosecute the case.
  • inskydiamonds
    Options

So...are you saying we should selectively arrest criminals based on whether or not it's a good use of county resources? That's what those resources are there for, arresting people!

If that's how you want to read what I said, go for it.

My point was Safeway does not arrest criminals. The police do. If the OP is going to place blame on someone for this woman being arrested, Safeway is the wrong place to look because they do not make the arrests or have the power to determine which individual is actually going to be arrested.

And whether you want to believe it or not, police departments do repeatedly arrest people based on their discretion, which in fact does lead to selective arrests of certain people.