Safeway groceries are horrible people.

Options

Replies

• shelby623
    shelby623 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Have you ever dealt with their customer service?

This is why I don't post much on here, everyone takes stuff way too seriously. Have a laugh every now and then!
  • SueGeer
    SueGeer Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    LOL are you serious? I remember being a kid and my mom would open up something in the store and let me sit in the buggy and eat...people are a joke.

In this case, the woman ate some sandwiches while in the store and DID NOT PAY FOR THEM. That is theft.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-sandwich-arrest-20111101,0,6197311.story
    it is theft, but they could have charged her without going to such extremes! i don't understand how that is ok..

Yup exactly! Sounds like it was handled way to harsh to me. I have seen teens at the mall get off way easier and do not think it is right!

Poor little girl :(

I seem to remember being very woolly-headed & spaced-out when pregnant.....must have done all sorts of odd things. Surely it's an easy thing to do especially if she had other things going on too. Not excuseable but surely it could have been dealt with in a kinder way.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    EmpressOfJudgment Posts: 1,162 Member
    Options
    I'm always a little disgusted by people eating in the grocery store. Seriously? You can't wait 15 minutes til you pay for that *kitten*? I think it's trashy. But I'm a judgmental princess.
    Have you ever been pregnant?
    No, I have not been pregnant ever. Well, except those couple of weeks in the 7th grade. Can pregnant women not eat BEFORE they go to the store? Will the intense hunger they feel over the course of 10-15 minutes of shopping kill them or cause them to go into premature labor?

Let's let preggos do whatever they want. What, she robbed a Burger King with a semi-automatic weapon? Let's not judge her. Her hormones are all wackadoo from being pregnant.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    It's the managers call..not the whole chain. My Safeway manager is awesome and wouldn't do something that rash.

I think being that they were new to shopping there didn't help either. I think if I had something I missed in my cart, the manager would not make a big deal about it. But I've shopped there for years. They know I haven't shop lifted in all those years. (Also, the baggers are pretty good at helping to unload the cart if I'm not done unloading by my turn.)
    I've never been pregnant (unfortunately), so I won't go there, but if I enter the store REALLY thirsty before shopping, I buy myself a drink before I shop for the rest of my groceries.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    Options
    But I'm a judgmental princess.
    I'm totally stealing this, K?
    Do you know the judgmental princess secret handshake and can you recite our pledge?

Please raise your right hand and repeat the following:

On my honor, I will try
    To serve myself and my fellow princesses,
    To cast judgment on those beneath us at all times,
    And to live by the Judgmental Princess Law.
  • staceyGO
    staceyGO Posts: 376
    Options
    I eat stuff in stores all the time, sometimes its the only way to quiet our little one. Sometimes the store says "don't worry about it".. quite often Shane eats a banana while we shop and I always hand in the peel and they rarely charge... this is definitely extreme, I'm sure she would have paid for it if some one had reminder her about it... this is redic.
  • Russellb97
    Russellb97 Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I am sad about the lack of humanity on this topic.

I mean REALLY?

A pregnant woman, (pregnancy brain) forgets to pay for a $5 dollar sandwich and her wife and husband spend a night in jail and there toddler spends a night in protective custody!
    REALLY?

She honestly forgot to pay for a $5 sandwich while paying for $50 in groceries! And some think this is deserving punishment!
    REALLY?
    "Shoplifting is shoplifting"
    REALLY?
    What about some freakin common sense? There was no criminal intent here.

Those "managers" are the biggest idiots in this whole situation, they make their company look horrible because they have no common sense and I'm sure they will be fired shortly for it.

I can't believe anyone with half a brain would side with the store on this one.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't personally snack while shopping (except when I was pregnant), but I have no problem giving my son something that has a bar code scanner. I'll get a pound of cheese or meat from the deli counter and give him bits of it while shopping, sometimes a smaller bottle of milk from the refridgerator sections. He's 2 and doesn't understand why he can't have the bananas or grapes that I plopped down into the cart just out of his reach, but since those things need weighed I won't let him have them. If it's a preplanned shopping trip I try to have something in my bag but if it's not (happen to have time after work or I'm already out for some reason), yep I'll open a package. I also try to make sure it's not something small enough (like a candy bar) that the wrapper could get lost because I'm super paranoid of forgetting about it.

On this topic, she shop lifted. Maybe she forgot, maybe she's just saying she forgot, either way it happened. The store has can decide to press charges or not, but they don't know intent. If it were me would I want some leniency? yes. Would I expect it? no. Do I think it's extreme? yes. Do I think it's beyond their rights? no.
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    Options
    It's fun to play the "fat or pregnant" game with your friends when you see people stealing food.
    Semi-automatic weapons always throw me off though.
    Semi-automatic weapons always equals pregnant. Just remember that and you'll never lose.
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    I am sad about the lack of humanity on this topic.

I mean REALLY?

A pregnant woman, (pregnancy brain) forgets to pay for a $5 dollar sandwich and her wife and husband spend a night in jail and there toddler spends a night in protective custody!
    REALLY?

She honestly forgot to pay for a $5 sandwich while paying for $50 in groceries! And some think this is deserving punishment!
    REALLY?
    "Shoplifting is shoplifting"
    REALLY?
    What about some freakin common sense? There was no criminal intent here.

Those "managers" are the biggest idiots in this whole situation, they make their company look horrible because they have no common sense and I'm sure they will be fired shortly for it.

I can't believe anyone with half a brain would side with the store on this one.

OMG BUT THEY SNACKED WHILE SHOPPING!!! :angry: lol
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Jesus Christ, its like the whales at the buffets. You can't WAIT until you sit down to eat? You have to lick your grubby fingers WHILE you're scooping food that we are all going to scoop too? Go HOME and be a pig, don't make me watch you. Wait 2.5 minutes to go sit at your table and eat your food.

Really? You can't WAIT until you LEAVE the store to stuff food in your face?

All people who do that should be arrested.

Humans are gross.

I really just came here to see how groceries can be horrible people.....but then I got all infuriated like.

I KNOW!! I CAN'T BELIEVE HUMANS POOP TOO!! EWWWWWW I'M GLAD WE AREN'T HUMAN!

I KNOW!! BEFORE WE KNOW IT HUMANS WILL BE POOPING AS THEY SHOP FOR ALL OF US TO SEE AND PEOPLE WILL GET MAD BECAUSE THE STORE KICKED THEM OUT!!!!

Humans ARE gross. When I walk through a store chowing down because I can't wait to stuff my face, consider me gross too.

Oh... So, you're NOT human, then? :flowerforyou:
  • EmpressOfJudgment
    Options
    It's fun to play the "fat or pregnant" game with your friends when you see people stealing food.
    Semi-automatic weapons always equals pregnant. Just remember that and you'll never lose.

Marry me.
    Will you buy me expensive gifts and a house on the beach in Argentina?
  • Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options

Marry me.
    Will you buy me expensive gifts and a house on the beach in Argentina?

Probably not, but when I get pregnant I'll steal them for you.

JUST DON'T EVER SNACK ON ANYTHING WITH PEOPLE AROUND!! EWWWW :angry:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Rather than being a condemnation of Safeway, I find a lot of the responses to this thread to be a poor reflection on society.

So many people thinking that just because it was only a $5 sandwich that it is acceptable to steal.

It doesn't matter whether it's $5, $500 or $5,000,000: theft is theft.