Safeway groceries are horrible people.

Options

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Oh... So, you're NOT human, then? :flowerforyou:

Why does everyone assume I don't include myself in this statement?
    Sometimes it hurts my brain to be included in the human race though, yes.

because you said "I KNOW!! BEFORE WE KNOW IT HUMANS WILL BE POOPING AS THEY SHOP FOR ALL OF US TO SEE AND PEOPLE WILL GET MAD BECAUSE THE STORE KICKED THEM OUT!!!!

Humans ARE gross. When I walk through a store chowing down because I can't wait to stuff my face, consider me gross too."

which actually made me *lol*. I think pooping in the store would be perfectly acceptable. Its when they FLING the poo that we'll have problems. :laugh:
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Aside from the fact that your link is a bad link, I'm not sure that arresting someone for shoplifting/stealing makes a grocery store chain "horrible people." Are pregnant women supposed to be exempt from the law?

The woman ate a sandwich while shopping (pregnant women do get hungrier more often, who would have thought!) and forgot to pay while checking out (she saved the wrapper). They were embarrassed and offered to pay when it was brought to their attention, but were not allowed to. It was $5. They were held overnight in jail while their daughter spent the night in foster care.

All over $5.00.

This clearly is a case of the store management just being *kitten*.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options
    Rather than being a condemnation of Safeway, I find a lot of the responses to this thread to be a poor reflection on society.

So many people thinking that just because it was only a $5 sandwich that it is acceptable to steal.

It doesn't matter whether it's $5, $500 or $5,000,000: theft is theft.

Seriously dude. You really think the fact that she forgot to pay for a sandwich warrants an overnight in jail and her daughter being taken away for the night?

Grow some compassion.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Rather than being a condemnation of Safeway, I find a lot of the responses to this thread to be a poor reflection on society.

So many people thinking that just because it was only a $5 sandwich that it is acceptable to steal.

Hmm i dunno. If someone stole $500 dollars out of my wallet vs $5 i think i would care more...
  • Katefab26
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that there is another side to this story that we're not hearing. I used to work as a case manager and had to work closely with Children's Services. They don't exactly go around taking people's children away just for the heck of it. Honestly, it was awful trying to get them to pay attention to situations where children did need to be taken away. I can't imagine that the woman's child was taken from her because of one incident in a grocery store.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

Seriously dude. You really think the fact that she forgot to pay for a sandwich warrants an overnight in jail and her daughter being taken away for the night?

Grow some compassion.

Look at the cold hard facts: she stole.

Everybody is getting worked up into a frenzy over the value of the item and the fact that she was pregnant.

If the report simply said "women arrested for stealing from Safeway" nobody would think twice about it.
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Oh... So, you're NOT human, then? :flowerforyou:

Why does everyone assume I don't include myself in this statement?
    Sometimes it hurts my brain to be included in the human race though, yes.

because you said "I KNOW!! BEFORE WE KNOW IT HUMANS WILL BE POOPING AS THEY SHOP FOR ALL OF US TO SEE AND PEOPLE WILL GET MAD BECAUSE THE STORE KICKED THEM OUT!!!!

Humans ARE gross. When I walk through a store chowing down because I can't wait to stuff my face, consider me gross too."

which actually made me *lol*. I think pooping in the store would be perfectly acceptable. Its when they FLING the poo that we'll have problems. :laugh:

I didn't say I wouldn't be pooping in the aisles.
    And. Poop is flung around grocery stores. Do YOU touch the handles on those carts? There is poop ALL over them thangs.

Doh! I always miss the FUN stuff. Poo flinging sounds fun, as long as you don't slip and fall in it. Yuck.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    * walks in and flushes this thread down the sh*tter*
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that there is another side to this story that we're not hearing. I used to work as a case manager and had to work closely with Children's Services. They don't exactly go around taking people's children away just for the heck of it. Honestly, it was awful trying to get them to pay attention to situations where children did need to be taken away. I can't imagine that the woman's child was taken from her because of one incident in a grocery store.

Because both parents were arrested though they had to take her. They couldn't just leave her there. Aside from the fact that the family had just moved there. I don't believe there was something leading up to the child being taken aside from the fact that the manager called the cops and had charges pressed against the couple which lead to their arrest and the child being taken by CPS.
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options

I understand your point. I do! I have opened a bottle of pop and drank some then paid as I was checking out. Once I opened a bottle of excedrin and took two while standing in line...I had just started having the visual auras that come with my migraines. I paid for the entire bottle.

It disturbs me to see people eating grapes, cherries, bananas (have to be weighed-so how to know how much to charge). I believe that as humans we can make honest mistakes and I suspect the husband and wife simply forgot to pay.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm always a little disgusted by people eating in the grocery store. Seriously? You can't wait 15 minutes til you pay for that *kitten*? I think it's trashy. But I'm a judgmental princess.
    Have you ever been pregnant?
    No, I have not been pregnant ever. Well, except those couple of weeks in the 7th grade. Can pregnant women not eat BEFORE they go to the store? Will the intense hunger they feel over the course of 10-15 minutes of shopping kill them or cause them to go into premature labor?

Let's let preggos do whatever they want. What, she robbed a Burger King with a semi-automatic weapon? Let's not judge her. Her hormones are all wackadoo from being pregnant.

All I can tell you is my experience, which is that there was not enough food in the world to make me NOT feel hungry. And that leads to feeling light-headed and very sick.

In fact, I had terrible morning sickness and I would throw up, then immediately go find something to eat because I was so hungry even after that. (And I weighed 102 pounds right into my sixth month.)

And, BTW, I never said she should be allowed to do whatever she wants. Just that I understand why she may have felt the need to eat while grocery shopping.
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options
    Jesus Christ, its like the whales at the buffets. You can't WAIT until you sit down to eat? You have to lick your grubby fingers WHILE you're scooping food that we are all going to scoop too? Go HOME and be a pig, don't make me watch you. Wait 2.5 minutes to go sit at your table and eat your food.

Really? You can't WAIT until you LEAVE the store to stuff food in your face?

All people who do that should be arrested.

Humans are gross.

I really just came here to see how groceries can be horrible people.....but then I got all infuriated like.

I KNOW!! I CAN'T BELIEVE HUMANS POOP TOO!! EWWWWWW I'M GLAD WE AREN'T HUMAN!

I KNOW!! BEFORE WE KNOW IT HUMANS WILL BE POOPING AS THEY SHOP FOR ALL OF US TO SEE AND PEOPLE WILL GET MAD BECAUSE THE STORE KICKED THEM OUT!!!!

Humans ARE gross. When I walk through a store chowing down because I can't wait to stuff my face, consider me gross too.

I know!!! As humans, especially pregnant ones, we shouldn't eat because odds are you're going to *kitten* later and that's DISGUSTING! If you do eat, you should do it in a locked room where no one can observe you. Kinda like *kitten*.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I eat stuff in stores all the time, sometimes its the only way to quiet our little one. Sometimes the store says "don't worry about it".. quite often Shane eats a banana while we shop and I always hand in the peel and they rarely charge... this is definitely extreme, I'm sure she would have paid for it if some one had reminder her about it... this is redic.
    No wonder bananas are so expensive.
  • capriciousmoon
    capriciousmoon Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options

I agree with this. I was taught that even tasting the grapes or taking a single jelly bean was wrong and stealing.
  • poisongirl6485
    Options

Grow some compassion.

Look at the cold hard facts: she stole.

Everybody is getting worked up into a frenzy over the value of the item and the fact that she was pregnant.

If the report simply said "women arrested for stealing from Safeway" nobody would think twice about it.

I get your point, I really do.

But sometimes things aren't so black and white. There's a huge difference if the woman purposely took $50 of steaks without paying for it versus simply forgetting she had eaten a sandwich and forgotten to pay.

Both are theft, but should they be treated equally? No. That's why there's varying degrees of sentencing terms etc. If all crimes were created equal, then the jail sentence would be the same for everybody who stole regardless of the circumstances or amount.

Do you really think that the state should be wasting tax payer money having to enter the child in the foster system, etc over a $5 mistake? I sure as hell hope not.

Man, the lack of compassion for another person in this thread is severely disturbing. If the woman shoved a gun in the cashier's face and demanded money, then yeah, she belongs in jail. But putting her in jail overnight with her husband, over a $5.00 sandwich, is not only a huge waste of government resources but just plain stupid.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Would it have made anyone happier if the child spend the night in jail with her mom?
  • RyanDanielle5101
    Options

From the guy in what looks to be a police uniform:smile: