Safeway groceries are horrible people.

Options

Replies

• Sublimely_Self_Righteousreused
    Options
    Jesus Christ, its like the whales at the buffets. You can't WAIT until you sit down to eat? You have to lick your grubby fingers WHILE you're scooping food that we are all going to scoop too? Go HOME and be a pig, don't make me watch you. Wait 2.5 minutes to go sit at your table and eat your food.

Really? You can't WAIT until you LEAVE the store to stuff food in your face?

All people who do that should be arrested.

Humans are gross.

I really just came here to see how groceries can be horrible people.....but then I got all infuriated like.

I KNOW!! I CAN'T BELIEVE HUMANS POOP TOO!! EWWWWWW I'M GLAD WE AREN'T HUMAN!

I KNOW!! BEFORE WE KNOW IT HUMANS WILL BE POOPING AS THEY SHOP FOR ALL OF US TO SEE AND PEOPLE WILL GET MAD BECAUSE THE STORE KICKED THEM OUT!!!!

Humans ARE gross. When I walk through a store chowing down because I can't wait to stuff my face, consider me gross too.

I know!!! As humans, especially pregnant ones, we shouldn't eat because odds are you're going to *kitten* later and that's DISGUSTING! If you do eat, you should do it in a locked room where no one can observe you. Kinda like *kitten*.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    But I'm a judgmental princess.
    I'm totally stealing this, K?
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    Oh good point. They were probably a conspiring couple who planned out the perfect crime to steal that 5 dollar sandwich and get away with it. Their plan was to take the wrapper to the counter, but secretly not give it to the cashier. They are excellent theives. I applaud Safeway for this massive takedown, saving themselves no money (since they were willing to pay to begin with).

Rofl. . . seriously. . . because that's what I would do. . I would take the evidence with me when I am trying to commit a crime. . *smacks forehead* why didn't I think of that!!! Geesh. . have her pay for the sandwich. . end of story. .
  • LoveleeB
    LoveleeB Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Now, this $5 sandwich wasted a lot of time, tax payer dollars, and made Safeway look bad in the long run with negative publicity.

THIS! ^^ What a total waste of tax payer money.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    This was clearly an innocent mistake, and shoplifting was obviously not the intention. I mean, 5 dollars for a sandwich? Sure, Safeway should have stopped them and made them pay, but I think the manager probably is overpcompensating for his little penis and was overzealous in how he handled it. He should have just made them pay after talking with them and realizing it was an honest mistake.

How would he have known? People shoplift candy bars and grapes and olives and whatever. How would you (or the manager, more to the point) know that it was an honest mistake?

After questioning, it's not exactly difficult to tell if they were intending on it or not. It's a sandwich for f*cks sake. I don't think you're going to have the highest class of thieves who have perfected the art of lying trying to wiggle their way out of stealing a sandwich, especially when they were willing to pay for it because it was a mistake. This was clearly a case of poor judgement on the manager's end. He should have just made them pay for the sandwich. Now, this $5 sandwich wasted a lot of time, tax payer dollars, and made Safeway look bad in the long run with negative publicity.

It's quite possible that Safeway store policy requires that police are called for all incidences of suspected and/or attempted theft. Even a hardened thief will say they forgot to pay if caught ... The manager's hands could have been tied in corporate procedure that required him to call the police, and whatever happened with arrests and CPS are out of the store's hands at that point.

I see your point, but I still think there are just too many facts and details left out of the story for us to decide it was a waste of time, energy, and money.

Oh good point. They were probably a conspiring couple who planned out the perfect crime to steal that 5 dollar sandwich and get away with it. Their plan was to take the wrapper to the counter, but secretly not give it to the cashier. They are excellent theives. I applaud Safeway for this massive takedown, saving themselves no money (since they were willing to pay to begin with).

That's not what I said at all.. I don't think the couple were conspiring anything.. what I do think is most likely, is that Safeway's policies require that if someone is caught leaving the store with unpaid for goods (regardless of breeder status), the police are called. After that, who knows what happened, but my guess is that the police found the couple to be argumentative and combative (possibly rightly so, after being accused of stealing), and that may be the reason they were arrested.

But, neither you nor I have any idea what really happened at all, and that's why I have a hard time jumping to the conclusion that this was a waste of energy.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm always a little disgusted by people eating in the grocery store. Seriously? You can't wait 15 minutes til you pay for that *kitten*? I think it's trashy. But I'm a judgmental princess.
    Have you ever been pregnant?

All I can say is, it's a hunger like you've never experienced.

Otherwise, I don't get it, either. I've never done it. I do test the grapes, but that's one little grape to see if it's worth spending $4 a pound to get the bag. I see people with open bags of chips and cookies and stuff all the time.

I suppose MAYBE if you've been running errands all day and haven't had time to eat and are just seriously starving ... I don't know. It's just not my thing. So I guess I'll never have to worry about forgetting to pay for my sandwich. :-)
  • ak_in_ak
    ak_in_ak Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    This one time.. I went to Mcdonalds and spilled hot coffee on myself. Then sued them!! Because it was hot! They should have told me it was hot and to be careful not to spill it on myself. Its not my fault it was hot. I blame McDonalds.

I suggest watching a documentary called Hot Coffee, there is a lot more to the story the media left out on purpose to make you think this way.
    Options
    This was clearly an innocent mistake, and shoplifting was obviously not the intention. I mean, 5 dollars for a sandwich? Sure, Safeway should have stopped them and made them pay, but I think the manager probably is overpcompensating for his little penis and was overzealous in how he handled it. He should have just made them pay after talking with them and realizing it was an honest mistake.

How would he have known? People shoplift candy bars and grapes and olives and whatever. How would you (or the manager, more to the point) know that it was an honest mistake?

After questioning, it's not exactly difficult to tell if they were intending on it or not. It's a sandwich for f*cks sake. I don't think you're going to have the highest class of thieves who have perfected the art of lying trying to wiggle their way out of stealing a sandwich, especially when they were willing to pay for it because it was a mistake. This was clearly a case of poor judgement on the manager's end. He should have just made them pay for the sandwich. Now, this $5 sandwich wasted a lot of time, tax payer dollars, and made Safeway look bad in the long run with negative publicity.

It's quite possible that Safeway store policy requires that police are called for all incidences of suspected and/or attempted theft. Even a hardened thief will say they forgot to pay if caught ... The manager's hands could have been tied in corporate procedure that required him to call the police, and whatever happened with arrests and CPS are out of the store's hands at that point.

I see your point, but I still think there are just too many facts and details left out of the story for us to decide it was a waste of time, energy, and money.

That's not what I said at all.. I don't think the couple were conspiring anything.. what I do think is most likely, is that Safeway's policies require that if someone is caught leaving the store with unpaid for goods (regardless of breeder status), the police are called. After that, who knows what happened, but my guess is that the police found the couple to be argumentative and combative (possibly rightly so, after being accused of stealing), and that may be the reason they were arrested.

But, neither you nor I have any idea what really happened at all, and that's why I have a hard time jumping to the conclusion that this was a waste of energy.

Policy or not, that's why they have a manager running the show. He's the focal point that in the end, should have practiced common sense. That's what a manager is to do. In places like Safeway, most people are essentially the "robots" of the store, and management generally has the authority to practice common sense in situations like this.
  • mikajoanow
    mikajoanow Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I already boycott them! Their Deli workers are seriously s l o w. However, I wouldn't boycott them for arresting someone who stole (on purpose or not) and really, we all have no idea how many times this person has done this before. This may not be there first time at being watched inside this store. kwim?
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Policy or not, that's why they have a manager running the show. He's the focal point that in the end, should have practiced common sense. That's what a manager is to do. In places like Safeway, most people are essentially the "robots" of the store, and management generally has the authority to practice common sense in situations like this.

Okay, well, you're probably right there ... if the manager has discretion to make a choice whether or not to call the police, he could have acted harshly in this instance, if the couple were apologetic and offered to pay for the sandwiches forthwith. I guess I just have a hard time believing that this is the way it went down. SOMETHING had to have happened to make the manager want to call the police (whether it was policy or something else shady), and mayhem ensued. But maybe I'm just cynical like that. Or optimistic?? ... definitely one of those.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Jesus Christ, its like the whales at the buffets. You can't WAIT until you sit down to eat? You have to lick your grubby fingers WHILE you're scooping food that we are all going to scoop too? Go HOME and be a pig, don't make me watch you. Wait 2.5 minutes to go sit at your table and eat your food.

Humans are gross.

I really just came here to see how groceries can be horrible people.....but then I got all infuriated like.

I KNOW!! BEFORE WE KNOW IT HUMANS WILL BE POOPING AS THEY SHOP FOR ALL OF US TO SEE AND PEOPLE WILL GET MAD BECAUSE THE STORE KICKED THEM OUT!!!!

Humans ARE gross. When I walk through a store chowing down because I can't wait to stuff my face, consider me gross too.

I know!!! As humans, especially pregnant ones, we shouldn't eat because odds are you're going to *kitten* later and that's DISGUSTING! If you do eat, you should do it in a locked room where no one can observe you. Kinda like *kitten*.

Exactly.

Inhaling food like there's no tomorrow.
    Dropping a deuce.
    *kitten*.

ALL things I really don't want to be forced to see you do in the grocery store.

Wait!?!? Your NOT supposed to mastubate in the store?!?! well that explains all the funny looks at wal mart this morning
  • pink59eldo
    Options
    It's the managers call..not the whole chain. My Safeway manager is awesome and wouldn't do something that rash.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Humans are gross.

Exactly.

Dropping a deuce.
    *kitten*.

Wait!?!? Your NOT supposed to mastubate in the store?!?! well that explains all the funny looks at wal mart this morning

I knew your picture looked familiar......people of walmart is awesome for seeing humans in their natural habitat eating, crapping and yanking! Though, if people are giving you weird looks, maybe you should try Safeway next time.

I wouldnt want to get arrested for "borrowing" a drop of lube off the shelves
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the whole thing is extreme, but I don't think it's too much to ask to pay for your food before you consume it.

I've accidentally shoplifted. A pair of earrings once fell into the hood of my coat once when I bumped into a rack in a crowded store. Didn't realize it until I took my coat off at home. Didn't even like the earrings and ended up giving them to the thrift store. I've had cashiers forget to scan items, too, and not realized it. Those things happen.

But I'd never eat food before it's paid for just because I wouldn't want to be in a situation like this. I could see too easily how it could be misinterpreted as stealing. Trust me, those garlic bagels in my cart the other day were screaming, "EAT ME!" but I waited until I got outside the store before digging in.
  • writtenINthestars
    writtenINthestars Posts: 1,933 Member
    Options
    I see a lot of people saying how it's slightly ridiculous and that the manager is over reacting.....personally I do slightly agree as I've done the same things she's done and opened drinks before paying...however....

If every single person who made an honest mistake was let off....our groceries would be even more expensive than they already are. If she wasn't pregnant, I get the feeling this wouldn't have even made the news. And that in itself is slightly ridiculous.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    it is theft, but they could have charged her without going to such extremes! i don't understand how that is ok..
    The store isn't responsible to police procedure. The article says "A police spokeswoman said it was procedure to call Child Welfare Services if a child is present when both parents are arrested." It;s not like the store manager did it.

And what would you people have the authorities do with the child who has just observed his or her parents commit a crime in front of him or her? Just leave them abandoned in the horrible people store?

Guess what? Every criminal "just forgot" when they get caught. They get pissed at police for catching them, not themselves for being jerks.

Its gross to eat food in the grocery store and you should knock it off except in extreme circumstances. I don't wanna see your detritus of your snacking while I go through looking for unmolested food for my family.
    Options

Humans are gross.

Exactly.

Dropping a deuce.
    *kitten*.

YOu pay me to do this on webcam all the time though.