Men Are Husbands, Not "Hubbys"

Options

Replies

• Icklemellie
    Options
    I think its a nice informal way to call your partner, I call him hubby he calls me wifey. Its not meant to be condecending in anyway and we like it that way. Fair nuff to those that dont, call each other what ever you like as long as it makes u smile it shouldnt matter what anyone else thinks. x
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    When I was in a college fraternity, the old joke was it was a "fraternity" not a "frat" because you would never shorten the word "country." (Maybe I have the joke wrong...that's what college partying will do!)

Anyway, as a man, I do not like it when women refer to their spouse as their "hubby." I'm sure in most cases it's meant well, but in many it's not. I'm talking about the women who don't particular like their husbands (and I've talked to some of you so I know you're out there!)

But either way, I find "hubby" to be a touch condescending as a man. I have a feeling most women would feel the same way if all of them were referred to as "wifey" in each instance.

I realize most of you mean it as a term of endearment and it's shorter, but that doesn't mean it can't be nails on a chalkboard to me. Could I be the ONLY person that feels this way?

(Let the flaming begin.....)

I hear men refer to their wives as "the wife" all the time. My boyfriend refers to me that way all the time. It's the same thing.

If you're not MY husband, then it's not really your business how I refer to my husband (if I had one).
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Not big on the "endearment" hubby myself and don't ever use it. If the people I am talking to don't know him, I refer to him as my husband. If they know him, I refer to him by his name and when I am talking to him it is either Sweetie or his name.

I would hate being called wifey, the ball and chain or the other half.....It almost sounds like a put down to me.
  • mamapaints
    mamapaints Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I sometimes say hubby but totally as a term of endearment. However, I rarely say it to my dh unless I'm feeling goofy since he says he doesn't like it. Around that time, he might say to me "Woman!" which he also rarely says (I hate it!) but he does it to tease, the same way I use hubby. Most of the time we just say "hey!":tongue:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    My wife never refers to me at all. Won't take me out, Says I embarrass her.
  • KimmieBrie
    KimmieBrie Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    The only time I may have referred to my husband as hubby would be typing online to shorten it but
    usually I'll type husb to shorten. In conversation I never calll him 'hubby'. I call him by his name to those who
    know him and my husband to those who don't. He calls me by my name or nickname or says my wife.

Other people saying hubby or wifey or smoochie pie or whatever doesn't bother me. I don't see it as derogatory and it's not my concern what others call each other, as long as they treat each other well.

If you don't like it I guess it only matters that your own wife, if and when you have one, doesn't call you 'hubby'.
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    I refer to my fiance as "hubby" online. He doesn't mind, or care. And I wouldn't mind if he called me "wifey".
    I guess it's just one of those things that some don't mind and others do. *shrugs*
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    normally online I refer to him as DH (Dear Husband) and my toddler as TM (The boss Man) or B but I figure that this site isn't centered around family so it doesn't use the same abreviations at the sites that do and this may confuse people so I refer to him as hubs here only and no where else to shorten it. IRL I refer to him by name, and when I talk to him I call him by name, or I call him "honey" "hun" "babe" or "daddy" if my son is around (like when I hand my son to him and say "here daddy, your boy wants to give you some suga."). However, seeing as this is the interwebz I don't use proper names unless by accident so I'll continue to use the shortest way possible to get my point across, which happens to be "hubs."
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I can understand it bothering you but for me it's less about the term itself than it is about the tone in which it's used.

Have I called my husband 'hubby'? On occasion.
    Does he care? No.
    If he did would I use it? Yeah, probably, but only to annoy him.
    Do I refer to him as my hubby in conversation? No, nor am I likely to ever do so.

My husband has never referred to me as 'wifey'. A lot of other things, affectionate and not, but not wifey. Though an acquaintance referred to me as that the other night and I didn't like it one bit, but there's history between she and I and there's nothing but my name that she could call me that I would like, so I don't know if it would bother me in general. I doubt it. It certainly doesn't bother me when other people use the term.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    online I call my husband Hubby all the time,I also wouldnt care if he called me wifey. I will continue to refer to him as hubby when I feel like it.:flowerforyou:
  • asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I hate when women refer to them only as husband or boyfriend. They are not objects! When did they lose their names!! Are you so proud of having a man that you need to force it into every possible instance?! (And I feel the same way about 'wife' and 'girlfriend')

FYI: I am a woman. I have a boyfriend. I call him by his name. Not "Let me ask the boyfriend". It's "Let me ask {name}"

But, back to your original question. Yes, it annoys me when I hear people use 'hubby' all the time.

I guess it depends if the person you're talking to knows your boyfriend's name.
    If I tell you I'm having lunch with Cyrille, it could be my coworker, my husband, my boyfriend, my grown-up son, my boss,...
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Wow, thanks for the enligntenment. I never considered calling him hubby as a bad thing. I sometimes call my husband hubby in my posting on line, but never would say it in real life. I don't like the sound of wifey, so will stop using the word hubby. dh, for darling husband does sound better. l don't mean it in a condescending way and would never want him to feel that way. I love him to pieces, most of the time.
  • mandimoore617
    mandimoore617 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    FYI: I am a woman. I have a boyfriend. I call him by his name. Not "Let me ask the boyfriend". It's "Let me ask {name}"

If speaking to someone else about my boyfriend, it's "Let me talk to Eric".
    I think I can count on one hand the number of times in a year that he calls me by my name, it is always babe, love, hon, sweety, dahhhhling, etc.

When speaking to each other, it's a term of endearment (pick one, I'm sure we've used it), very rarely each other's names. It just sounds weird now to use each other's names. Normally it's Honey, Baby, Sweetie, or Momma/Daddy.
    i call mine "daddy"

*shrug*

edited to read: sadly, he is not my sugar daddy tho. :)

Now that we are parents, we probably call each other "mama" and "daddy" more than our names, too!

YES!! If my son is around, I almost always say "Hey, daddy, can you pass me the remote?" instead of "honey" or some other term. I'm sure when my son's older (he's 2), we'll stop saying momma & daddy for everything though and go back to more of the "sweetie, honey, baby" stuff. LOL
  • SuperSnoopy
    SuperSnoopy Posts: 3,464 Member
    Options
    I cant post on here what my wifey calls me!!
  • SpitfireStacey
    SpitfireStacey Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Online: DH (dear husband/d!ckhead depending on the subject of the post)
    in person: My husband or K... for those who know him.

Never much liked hubby *I* wouldn't use it but I don't care that other people do.
  • Faeriegirl74
    Faeriegirl74 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I will admit, if I am typing a text (because I'm too lazy to spell it all out) - I will use "hub", "hubs", or "hubby"...I've even been known to say "J" (his first initial)...but it goes both ways. However, if I am speaking - be it to my husband or to friends - whether on the phone or in conversation, I do refer to my husband or "Jerry".

It doesn't annoy us, to each their own...but my husband and I are not your typical husband/wife either. We grew up as kids (high school/college) together, but went our separate ways and then decided to marry 18 years after the fact. We are spirited individuals who will sit down and play a game of World of Warcraft, Magic The Gathering, or Dungeons and Dragons together...we share similar, yet separate interests (I'm a runner, he's not)...we meet in the middle and we are individual thinkers. We are great communicators.

I will say, I have a friend and her husband calls her "we-fay"...she rolls her eyes each time he does that. I think if they communicated, he would not call her "we-fay" anymore...but that's their argument, not mine.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I was going to say that I didn't see the problem with "hubby", but since you mentioned it coming from people who don't really care for their husbands, yeah that would be condescending. But really any term of endearment would be obnoxious in that context.

Then again, I can't freaking stand it when people use DH and all those abbreviations, and there's no real reason that should bother me. So I can't really judge. Some things are just annoying to certain people.
  • FatGirlSlim899
    FatGirlSlim899 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I would never, ever say hubby. It doesn't bother me when others do though. When in conversation with someone new, I would 'introduce' him as 'my boyfriend Steve', then refer to him by name after. I'm getting married next year, and it won't change, I'll still call him Steve.

I'm a pretty un-emotional person, so not into pet names. If other people have them then that's cool, but I hate being subjected to it. For example my friend calls me 'babe' and 'hon' and I have to ask her to call me by name because it makes me feel sort of queasy. I think 'hubby' is fine though, it doesn't bother me- but pet names in public do. Yes, I am cold. Do I care? NOPE! :happy:
  • jennajava
    jennajava Posts: 2,176 Member
    Options
    It is just a word (not negative). I don't think I would ever use it simply because I dislike the sound, but if other people want to use it, who cares.

In Japan, a survey showed that men would prefer their wives to call them, "Master." Frankly, if calling my husband Master made him happy, I would do it. It is just a word, and not meant in a negative context.

:flowerforyou:

mas·ter   /ˈmæstər, ˈmɑstər/ noun 1.a person with the ability or power to use, control, or dispose of something: a master of six languages; to be master of one's fate. 2.an owner of a slave, animal, etc.

...No thank you! Haha :)
  • JulieSD
    JulieSD Posts: 567
    Options
    LOL

I love this!

I say neither 'hubby' or 'husband'...I say ex-husband and its WONDERFUL!!

;)