Friends on MFP with poor food diaries?

Options

Replies

• kelley_lynn
    kelley_lynn Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Being one that still makes my food choices. :) considering Im an Adult. (so im told) Im one of those, that makes mistakes, in my food diary, OFTEN, but i do admit to it, OFTEN.

But as like others say, unless asked, i would step carefully. On occasion maybe make suggestion, BUT only if sure, folks are not offended. Remember for some this is a massive journey, and its not just about the weight.
  • Forme4real2
    Options
    And this is why I keep my diary private. :noway:

Mine is private too, no need to share

I had my diary open to "friends only" now it's private because of this topic.

MINE TOO
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have nothing to hide. My diary is public. I worry about you private ppl. Are we not here to help each othe
  • caseyp1122
    caseyp1122 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Looks like this is the loaded topic of the day lol. Sadly I think it's our country's culture to be more concerned with what others are doing as opposed to channeling that energy into our own lives. Glad to see the majority of folks commenting find the original posters actions to be questionable.
  • merrick7871
    Options
    My thoughts exactly! Unless you are asked for your opinion, don't offer it.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    People get over it!!! What are you hiding?
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    My friends are more concerned about me eating enough and they will tell me about which I appreciate! Great support! And I don't look at anyone's diary as "very poor".... Overall, my friends do a great job and if they have a cookie for breakfast good for them..... They still eat good overall, still workout, still dropping pounds. I envy their dairies if anything lol...... I have the greatest MFP friends ever. :)
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I tend to not congratulate people if they've had a particularly uninspiring day, but if I notice it's a trend with a person I may bring it up eventually. Usually when they've posted a comment on their profile wondering why they've not lost weight in a while, or they're feeling a bit low for no good reason. I don't "tell them off", because we're all adults here, but gently getting people to look at their food choices over the long term can be helpful.

If I know a friend struggles with particular eating habits, I will congratulate them if they've made an effort, even if their day isn't perfect. I make sure to highlight the bit they've improved on, to recognise their small successes. I think that's more constructive than beating people up for making poor choices, as that can trigger a lot of people I know into "giving up" for a day or two, and not even trying to curb their eating.
  • AI1108
    AI1108 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    And this is why I keep my diary private. :noway:

Mine is private too, no need to share

I had my diary open to "friends only" now it's private because of this topic.

Agreed. I generally eat healthy, but I'm a grown up with a nurse for a mom and a doctor for an older sister so I've heard it all before & if there's something I've heard about and haven't changed, I'm not going to. Now where's that IV drip of 100 ccs NaCl...
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    When I smoked tons of people told me how disgusting I was. I see nothing wrong with helping each other. I have had many ppl give me advice, I am grateful for that.
  • tiabirdie56
    tiabirdie56 Posts: 4,043 Member
    Options
    I have my diary open for friends only. I did not open it for criticism on what I choose to eat. I opened it because I know people are naturally curious as to what others eat. Who knows, they may like what they see and decide to try it themselves. I don't make comments about anyone's mealplans. We are all adults. If someone wants advice they'll ask.
  • caseyp1122
    Options
    Not to be rude but it is a discussion board...meant to discuss, so saying "get over it" is kind of ridiculous no?
  • Rewinds
    Options
    Wow, I never knew people would get to defensive and aggressive about it.

It was an honest question about helping people/motivating people about making better lifestyle choices. I thought the friends option was about giving support and motivating to stay on the task and reach their weight goal.

Making poor food choices constantly is going to hurt their health >.> And if they were my friends in real life I'd do the same thing >.> Its like smoking excessively or doing drugs, or drinking far too much. My diary is private to the public because I don't know you, and when i friend someone it is like accepting constructive criticism but support at the time time >.>

The responses here kind of piss me off and I thought people on this site would have a more balanced response, I congratulate them when they exercise, or reaching their calorie goal or maintaining or people on recovery, why shouldn't I give honest feedback on a diary that isn't balanced?
  • lor007
    lor007 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    The only time I would ever question the food in a friend's diary is if they usually eat close to their target and they have an exceptionally low amount of calories for any particular day. In that situation, I ask them if everything is okay because I am concerned about how they are feeling, not because I am being judgmental.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    People get over it!!! What are you hiding?

Exactly! Don't make it public if you don't expect comment on it! If you want to hide your guilty treats and over indulgences and not expect people who are trying to encourage you to say "oh come on! get back on the bandwagon" and then be disappointed by you again and again despite endless encouragement.

Oh and on that note... even if you;re under your calorie goal, I won't give you good feedback if you've eaten crap or its not balanced (I'm not talking about one meal or snack- but the entire day compared to your whole week) ... but I also won't say anything.
  • Yakisoba
    Yakisoba Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    When I smoked tons of people told me how disgusting I was. I see nothing wrong with helping each other. I have had many ppl give me advice, I am grateful for that.

Calling you disgusting and giving you advice are two different things.

wtf
  • LuciaLongIsland
    Options
    Amen!!!
  • caseyp1122
    Options
    Having questionable things in your diet is the equivalent to drug use? lol really?
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    my diary is open to friends (i think) and that is because i want them to look at it and to call me out on things, I have had negative experiences with health care professionals though telling me off for eating a salad for lunch so some times i don't have a lot of respect for some peoples opinions on things based on that.

I would always have time for anyone offering advise though
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I love this answer!! I totally agree!! Everyones process is NOT the same.. Everyone didn't begin when you did or end the same way or time you will. When they reach a point that they feel they need help, they will ASK for it.. and shocker though this may be.. You may not be the person they ask..