THE Team - Week 3 - 2/20/09

Options

Replies

• lacijae
    Options
    I just love how you guys are putting up pics! Its nice to see who Im talking too. :happy:

Lulu, yes I feel much better about the veggie garden. I cant wait to plant it this year!! So much cheaper to grow it than it is to buy all the produce at the store! I still have alot of cleanup to do in the yard area but the weather isnt looking too promising here. We'll see what this week brings. I noticed we are getting some grass sprouting in areas of the back yard that didnt fill in when we seeded last year. That was a nice suprise. Im gonna have to get some more grass seed and throw it out there since its obviously growing now! We have to get a new lawn mower, ours blew up.. lol.. so Im hoping it stays dormant for a while and just fills in the bare spots!

laci- great job on the wogging! I ususally wog 2-3 times a week depending on how I feel energy wise. This last week I was dead, but still managed to get in 2 really good woggs and it felt great afterwards. Keep it up girl! How do you like that ab lounge thingy? Do you feel it good? Is it hard? As Ive said, my abs are terrible, need to really work on toning them up.

I love it! It's just the fact that you have to get it out and use it. I bought mine about a year ago and it sat in my guest room for about that long :embarassed: . I have it in our living room now to remind me that it's there and I need to use it! It's very easy, and at the ripe old age of 20 i've inherited my family's notorious back problems. They're mild but I absolutely cannot get on a mat or floor and do crunches. This is also a great benefit of the ab lounge because its comfortable but still gets the job done :happy:
  • lacijae
    Options
    Sorry I've been MIA for a couple days! Work, work, and more work :grumble: . And I'm fixing to go again lol so I just wanted to drop by and wish everyone good luck for the rest of the week. I'll have to go back and read all the posts (I'm like 3 pages behind though so I'll do that Friday when I'm off :laugh: ).

I also just want to be one of the millions to announce that this economy SUCKS! Keep South Arkansas in your prayers everybody. As of this Friday, we're fixing to be hit harder than ever. I'm just now starting to realize how bad this economy is. When it's not happeing at a great extent in your hometown, you just don't realize how big of a recession this is. Well this Friday one of our major companies is withdrawing completely from the South Arkansas area, causing over 7000 jobs to be lost. My dad was over a certain division there but luckily he has friends in other states that were able to get him a great job for another company. But to all these others, I don't know what's going to happen:frown: .
  • lulubar
    lulubar Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Okay, I didn't wog this morning, but I went on a 40 minute off trail hike and it was fantastic! All that twisty-turny terrain gave my ankles and calves a real workout, then I came back to my neighborhood and walked around the block a couple of times with my 76 yo neighbor who kicked my butt!!:noway: He walks soooo fast I kinda had to jog a little from time to time to keep up with him - and no, he's not tall with a longer stride, he's a small man about the same height as me - 5"2":blushing: He finally said, "Well, nice strolling with you, see you later," and he took off at warp speed and left me in his dust!!!:blushing: :blushing: I feel soooo lame lol!:laugh: I'm gonna just say I was already really tired from hiking and that's why I couldn't keep up:bigsmile:

Anyway, I also got my lower body strength training in the a.m. So far today, my shoulder feels a little better - antiinflammatories are helping:smile:

Later dudes and dolls:glasses: Have a great day!!
  • prayerfulmom
    Options
    There are some amazing exercise reports here. Nice job to all of you.

Fast walking-
    I am tall but that doesn't apply here. Small rapid steps is the key to fast walking. I've walked several 1/2 marathons keeping a 4-4.2mph pace. Anything faster than that its just easier for me to run=)

My exercise so far:
    Sat-I got in my longest run this weekend: 15 miles
    Sun-off
    Mon-7 miles run, 20 bike
    Tues- 4 mile speed work running, 30 min bike
    Wed-upper body strength, walk 3 miles, bike 20 minutes

Now, if that darn elbow bend can reduce I should be in business!
  • adopt4
    adopt4 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7 and I got up 3.4 again for a bit... but I'm not sure how much faster I can go! losingit has these long legs, so when she's strolling next to me, I look at her speed and it's twice as fast as mine, and her legs are moving half as fast... sheesh...

Did 11 mins on the elliptical...then my walk. Asked the trainer about my stomach fat and he said my muscles have already adjusted to what I'm doing, so that's why I'm not losing anything there. Well good to know... I'm taking a "Fitness Boot Camp" on Sat which he said has a lot of abdomen things they show you how to do...
  • chantybear
    Options
    Afternoon ladies, ands lads...:wink:

How is everyone today?

Adopt4 - At my fittest years (the last 2) I was doing these various ab exercises like 4-5 times a week, but I never had the 'flat tummy', but it was because (I think) that I did not change it up after a while...if you do not feel a burn for a while you have to switch it up, and keep your muscles on their toes:laugh:
  • nitag
    nitag Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    I can't get to a gym.. Can't afford it right now so I am just doing stuff at home.. But I was thinking about buying Barry's bootcamp.. Has anyone used it??
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Fight back the bulge! !

BELLY FAT EXERCISES
    ____________________________________________________________________________

Since visceral fat is buried deep in your abdomen, it may seem like a difficult target for spot reduction. As it turns out, visceral fat responds well to a regular exercise routine and a healthy diet. Targeted tummy exercises can help to firm the abdominal muscles and flatten the belly.

Exercise. Daily, moderate-intensity exercise is the best way to lose belly fat — when you lose weight and tone your muscles, your belly fat begins shrinking, too. In fact, you may notice that your tummy bulge is the first area to shrink when you start exercising. The amount and type of exercise you should get varies depending on your current activity level and your health goals. Talk to your doctor about the right exercise program to promote good health and specifically combat abdominal fat.

Strength training. Some research has shown that exercising with weights is effective in trimming tummy fat. Talk to your doctor about how to incorporate strength training in your exercise routine.

Healthy diet. Changing unhealthy eating habits can help fight belly fat. Read nutrition labels, and replace saturated fats with polyunsaturated fats. Increase portions of complex carbohydrates like fruits and vegetables, and reduce simple carbohydrates like white bread and refined pasta. If you need to lose weight, reduce your portion sizes and daily calorie intake.

Tone your tummy. While you can't "spot-burn" belly fat, you can firm up your abdominal muscles and get a flatter belly. Traditional sit-ups aren't the most effective way to firm your tummy, however. Instead, use these exercises to target both deeper and lower abdominal muscles:

~~Deeper abdominal muscles. Target deeper abdominal muscles by doing "abdominal hollowing" or "drawing in the belly button." First, get down on all fours. Let your tummy hang down as you take a deep breath. Let your breath out, and at the end of your exhalation, gently draw your belly button inward and upward toward your spine. You should feel a slight tightening around your waist — think of it as trying to squeeze through a partially closed door. Hold for 10 seconds, then rest for 10 seconds. Work up to 10 repetitions. During each effort, your spine position shouldn't change and you should breathe freely. Eventually, you'll be able to do this exercise standing up. It's so subtle, no one should be able to tell you're doing it.
    ~~Lower abdominal muscles. Tone your lower abdomen by doing pelvic tilts and pelvic lifts. To do a pelvic tilt, lie on your back on the floor with your knees bent. Flatten your back against the floor by tightening your abdominal muscles and bending your pelvis up slightly. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds. Repeat five times and work up to 10 to 20 repetitions.

~~For pelvic lifts, lie on your back with your knees bent up toward your chest and your arms relaxed by your sides. Tighten your lower abdomen and lift your buttocks up off the floor, with your knees aimed toward the ceiling. Hold for 5 to 10 seconds. Repeat five times and work up to 10 to 20 repetitions.

The article has lots more info if you want to read it.
  • get_fit2009
    get_fit2009 Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    Hi, gang! I am feeling MUCH more confident about my ability to "rein it in" today. I did pass on a jewelry party invitation, partly because I don't want the cocktails and snacks to tempt me. However, there were other reasons. 1) I am EXTREMELY tired this afternoon and will probably be in jammies by 7:30 and 2) I don't want to spend money on frivolous things right now. My older son has decided he is going to stay at WSU, which I am actually glad about, but it means more money. He does have a partial scholarship for tuition, so that helps and he is applying for some internships and grants. Still, I need more jewelry like a hole in the head. :laugh:

Hmm, I still think the scale will not be kind on Friday, but maybe I will surprise myself.

All you whining about belly fat - I guess the grass is always greener. I gain first in my hips and booty. I always felt like it was easier to hide if it was tummy fat. *sigh* I guess it's just easier to get rid of it altogether. :laugh:
  • Kelleighanne
    Options
    I wish I could talk, but when I try, the kids start crying. It's like they know.
  • get_fit2009
    Options
    I wish I could talk, but when I try, the kids start crying. It's like they know.

They DO know!!!!!!
  • healthymom2009
    Options
    Hello all. My biggest challenge is the abs and tummy too. :grumble:

I think my body is adjusting to the smaller amount of food because I feel full so much faster now. I think it has more to do with the brain than the stomache.

Took a break from the elliptical for a few days and went on it today. my back was not sore afterward. wahoo

Have a great evening.
  • lulubar
    Options
    CM - Thanks for the great post on abdominal exercises - I'm soooo excited cuz those are currently in my repertoire - yay.

Okay, so what exactly is the new pic? An amoeba? An extraterrestrial being? An alternate universe under your fingernail? It's really pretty, I just can...not....figure...it out:huh:
  • get_fit2009
    Options
    Ooh, yeah, CMR, just noticed the new pic, what IS it??? Looks like a sea creature of some sort.

Ok, gonna go be a couch potato now. They are saying maybe snow tonight, I am thinking a hot bath would be fabulous!!!
  • lulubar
    Options
    Prayerful - I'm betting you could keep up with my 76 yo neighbor:bigsmile: You have got some serious go in your get up! Someday I'll have posts like yours!!:bigsmile:

Kelleighanne - getfit is right - they do know, just like they will always want to talk to you most when you are on the phone:grumble: , and all their early teenage crises will happen just when you are dead tired and headed for bed and they neeeeeeed to talk:noway:, just like they'll want brownies for the entire student body so they can get an "A" in some weird project and it also happens to be the night of the day you just spent 14 hours as a volunteer boxing food at a homeless shelter!!!! :ohwell: Trust me, they will do anything and everything to wear you down and keep you to themselves for several years. And just when you've resolved yourself to that fact, they are grown and moving away and you are standing in the driveway scratching your head wondering what the heck you're now gonna do with all the time you now have- and so you decide to get fit and you join MFP for support and encouragement and read posts by young ladies raising families and you'll remember how hard it was sometimes - and how joyful, and busy and crazy and .....:blushing:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Fractal

(my picture - av)
  • cmriverside
    Options
    All you whining about belly fat - I guess the grass is always greener. I gain first in my hips and booty. I always felt like it was easier to hide if it was tummy fat. *sigh* I guess it's just easier to get rid of it altogether.

Trade ya....and (sorry men)......I'll give up chest and tummy for booty. :grumble:
  • cmriverside
    Options
    wuwu - you are sooooo funny. I was laughing out loud and wanting to saytherethere.gif at the same time when you were talking about kids in your stream-of-consciousness post.

_________

Okay, today I wogged for 1:10 for a total of 3.88 miles. I'm doing the 1minute/ 3minute routine. I can't quite figure my pace, it's too late for my brain, and I did run up 54 steps, plus part of the distance was hilly (half at least). I live in SUCH a good place for this. WOW. Burned 433 cals. (I have a heart rate monitor.)

Yesterday ZUMBA for 311 cals ( I did the "training" DVD to refresh my memory on some of the steps).

Push-ups both days. Not much progress on pushups. Here's some whine for ya..."They're haarrrddd."
    :sad:

I have to go eat more...:tongue::happy:

Hi everyone, long day at work, but I was excited to come home and check in to see what everyone has been up to. I bought a kitchen scale from Overstock.com which arrived today. Very nice. I have been guessing at some portion sizes and now I won't have to. Why is it that when I guess, I ALWAYS underestimate? :huh:

So, cm, I hate to demonstrate my ignorznce, but, ?? fractal?? BY the way, that was a very informative excerpt you posted. Very thoughtful as well as imformative!

So, I have two questions for you all: What are your opinions on crystal light. Prior to joining mfp, I drank a BOATLOAD of soda everyday. I have given it up entirely and have opted for crystal light. I drink less than a boatload, but still probably have 4 or so glasses a day. I never drank diet soda and wonder how big a problem aspertame really is. Any ideas?

Second is a little more difficult. Yesterday, for the first time since joining MFP, I went to bed not feeling just really happy. Not sure why. I got home late (10ish) and it had been one of those days where I didn't get to eat my evening meal. I work mostly evenings (outpatient substance abuse clinic, so evenings are our busy time) and its at times difficult to get an evening meal in at a decent time. Anwyay, I thought, I should eat something, but probably something light. I then deciced to make myself a little chef salad. I fixed the salad and sat down to figure out and log the calories while I ate it. I was shocked to see that the "little" salad came to just about 700 cals. :noway: :angry: :frown: Then, for some reason, I didn't even enjoy the salad. What's that about? As I was lying in bed trying to figure out why I wasn't as happy as I have been all week I couldn't really come up with an answer. I hadn't gone over my daily allotment of calories. I never do. If you need to lose 260+ lbs, and the maximum weekly weight loss the program allows is 2 lbs a week, then you have A LOT of calories to consume. Before I started my new eating plan, I was eating mostly soda and fast food and I could eat that number of calories easily. But, eating a healthy, balanced diet, I NEVER get even close to the 2400 + calories a day it says I should eat. Hense the 11 lb weight loss last week. :blushing: Anwyay, this is very long, but I while I have been thinking out loud, it seems like my real problem is that I am a little discouraged about how difficult my work schedule can make things. I would welcome any ideas about how to get a meal in in the evenings when I am at work. Thanks for putting up with this long post!
  • zano2008
    zano2008 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Good morning Team, I'm really glad your here...
    stillkristi, nice post and good questions. First, not sure about crystal light, but it seems for me that drinking 100oz of water (1/2 my weight) is a challenge, but I enjoy it. I guess I like the natural stuff vs chemical. Congrats on staying away from soda. Second, I'm guessin that any weight loss (even minimal loss) will result in emotional changes, and possibly feeling depressed. Team, any thoughts? Has anyone experienced emotional rollercoasters due to significant weight loss?
    CM, had to look up FRACTAL, the definition took about three time to go over, but I get it..its a PRETTY nice looking image.
    Prayerfulmom..I said it before, your work outs are amazin.
    Chantybear..good to hear about the change in pants size, I've got a closet full of pants, and only one that fits, and I ABSOLUTELY REFUSE...to buy another (haha).
    Lig4, CM, lulubar and all fellow woggers ..the temptation to increase my mileage is strong, but in the past I've always stressed my knee and had to rest it for a few days, this has me starting all over, so slow and easy is my mantra.
    Last, the "You on a diet ", is interesting, if I finish it, it will be The First, non fiction I've read cover to cover (this should be a goal)...weigh in tommorrow, everyone have a fantastic day....Zano