Tell loved ones they are overweight this Christmas

Options

Replies

• ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    And my reply would be "and you're a douche bag"

I am almost 7 lbs to a healthy bmi but when I was 300 lbs I didn't need anyone to TELL me I was fat. I have mirrors for that. People have to want to change. Love them and support them. That doesn't mean say its ok to eat that box of donuts but they really don't need your input. Just be there for them and lead by example. Hopefully when they see you losing and getting healthier they will ask and that's ur que to tell them about what you are doing to improve your eating habits. Just don't be rude. People can always lose weight but you can't change being a giant douche bag!!
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    ehh, if you do it right and out of love, not a big deal. like I say I wish someone had told me sooner. that's just me.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    People can always lose weight but you can't change being a giant douche bag!!

:heart:
  • willow3eb
    willow3eb Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I have an uncle who for 2 Christmases in a row made half-drunk comments to me about my weight. Ruined Christmas for me both years. Now, after not seeing him since 2009, it'll be nice to throw it back in his face.
  • katismiles
    katismiles Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Haha, I've told my mom she's overweight before she'll either yell or say that its genetic and then she'll eat an entire box of oreos herself. Halarious idea though
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    SCOUSERWENCH Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    and offend them? I dont think so.
  • jlnk
    jlnk Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    What a horrible, horrible idea.
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    Options
    I wouldnt dare tell anyone how to live there life let alone dictate what they should eat. Saying something like this topic is about to a realtive you'd end up with a clip around the ear hole.
  • RunLiftEat
    RunLiftEat Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    What is wrong with telling people the truth? Let's all tiptoe around issues and act like nothing is wrong. It works so well. Pretty soon they won't be babying people in the states, they will be treating them like a fetus.
  • brk_1982
    brk_1982 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My aunt told me I was getting fat over a year ago. I was pissed . The nerve of her when she needed to lose weight herslf. Yes it does hurt. But she was the only person in my family who was honest enough to tell me. I knew I was gaining weight but looking in the mirror I would not have considered myself as fat. Hearing it made me face it.

I was starting think I was the only one who didn't think having this conversation is the *worst* idea ever. No, it shouldn't be on Christmas Day, or in front of the whole family, but maybe if someone had said they were worried about me, I would have gotten my *kitten* together sooner! The last time I saw my mom, she commented that I don't look as "puffy and unhealthy" as I used to!! I was so mad that she said that when she'd never had the guts to say "You've put on enough weight that you're starting to look unhealthy and I'm concerned".
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Done. I told my cat he was a fat *kitten* and he just sat there and purred. *sigh* I hope he gets off my heater soon.
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you look through other threads that ask "what started you to become more fit/healthier?" you rarely see someone post that they started because someone told them they were overweight.
  • 24man
    24man Posts: 58
    Options
    I might not like someone telling me I need to lose some weight, but I'll tell you, it's one of the things that will motivate me more than anything.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Done. I told my cat he was a fat *kitten* and he just sat there and purred. *sigh* I hope he gets off my heater soon.

LOL Nice!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    My mother tried this 'Christmas approach' with me when I was 21 and had gained substantial weight after graduating from college and starting my first job - a 50+ hour a week desk job. Of course, she didn't do it gently or compassionately. In the middle of Christmas Eve dinner, she said 'Geez... stop eating already. Don't you see how fat you've become!'. I was crushed and humiliated.

OMGSH that is terrible! How mean!

No one in my family is really skinny, but they're not obese. We all indulge during the holidays and none of us would ever tell each other to stop eating because we've gotten too big. We all know we could lose a few, but we also like to enjoy life. If you restrict yourself of "goods" then you'll come to despise healthy choices and either be miserable or fall off the wagon. I say be comfortable with yourself and your choices. You can always take off what you put on....patience is the key.
  • kagenw
    kagenw Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Overweight people don't need people telling them they're overweight - they ALREADY know. Christmas is probably the worst time to do it, too! I know from personal experience!

My mother tried this 'Christmas approach' with me when I was 21 and had gained substantial weight after graduating from college and starting my first job - a 50+ hour a week desk job. Of course, she didn't do it gently or compassionately. In the middle of Christmas Eve dinner, she said 'Geez... stop eating already. Don't you see how fat you've become!'. I was crushed and humiliated.

I had planned to stay for a full week to visit. But, I got in the car the next morning (after a very chilly Christmas breakfast) and drove back home and spent the rest of the holidays with my friends, instead of my family. I really didn't speak to my mother much for a few weeks.

A couple years later, when I was 23, I decided ON MY OWN that it was time to lose some weight.

I agree, my experience was similar. It's gotta depend on the person you're trying to tell. Be smart and if in doubt, wait till after Christmas day at least (and definitely not at the Christmas dinner table).
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I'ts always a fun time of year to say. "I'd like to get serious with you, but I am afraid we would have fat children"
  • SCOUSERWENCH
    Options
    Not being funny but the way people live aint got nothing to do with anyone. If people want to be over-weight then thats their choice. concentrate on worrying about the weight of the chip on your shoulder before you start opening your mouth and upsetting family members. Sorry had to be said.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Not once do I intend to tell her she's fat. But I do need to tell her her weight's creeping up--maybe she's not noticed

You really, truly, honestly believe she hasn't noticed? Good grief. I'm glad you're not *my* brother.

Actually, yes, I do believe she won't quite have noticed that her weight has been CREEPING up. As in, slowly, sometimes hardly noticeable, until you go up a size.

I've gained 10 lbs and I've noticed it without even getting on a scale! I'm still the same size and all my clothes fit. My shape just doesn't look as lean anymore! I'm pretty sure she's noticed.
  • keesh1123
    keesh1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I might not like someone telling me I need to lose some weight, but I'll tell you, it's one of the things that will motivate me more than anything.

THIS. I think it also depends on who it is coming from. I see that most ppl are stating that "fat people" already know that they are fat.

Well, from my own experience, I may realize that my clothes are beginning to fit a little tight, etc. and not really pay it much attention.

But when someone that knows me says, "hey, your getting a little chunky". I take that into consideration because now OTHER ppl can see it!

I assume most posters that are highly against this idea have struggled with weight most of their lives, in that case, it would probably be pointless for me to pull my obese cousin over to the side to divulge information that she clearly knows and has known for much of her life.