Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    wonder what the op is thinking...all they wanted to know if we still drink milk and we are debating mules hauling beans? lol
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Cows milk is for cows.

does that make me an almond? :laugh:

I'm not a big fan of milk - when I went vegan and gave up dairy I found I never had a taste for it again.
    I love unsweetened almond milk now, fantastic replacement for milk.
    Nope, just a nut, lol (me too)
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    It's just weird - Besides humans (and companion animals who are fed by humans), no species drinks milk beyond infancy or drinks the milk of another species."
    Nor do other species raise their own crops, cook their meat and create their own long-lasting shelters.

I enjoy being perched atop the food chain, and do not feel the need to compare my eating habits to those of other animals.

We are only the top of the food chain because we use guns/machines to kill animals to fight our way to the top. If you put a human in a cage with a lion/bear/etc with no weapons then you will see who is really the top of the food chain. All species should be equal. A cow should NOT have to live its whole life trapped it a horrible factory getting forcibly impregnated so you can drink nasty milk.

We have the ability to build and use those tools. I don't think you're very objective on this subject. I love animals as much as anyone and I am a vegetarian. But I'm also able to use reason and common sense.

Why don't we just go back to our hunter-gatherer migratory ways? Who needs a house?

Why do people who don't know facts always resort to being extreme? "Why don't we just go back to our hunter-gatherer migratory ways? Who needs a house?" Did I say that at all. No. I clearly said we DO NOT live in those times so eating meat is now unnecessary. We are more advanced and do not need to eat animals to survive. You really love animals? Go vegan. Plenty of animals suffer and die for the dairy and egg industry.
    Dairy cruelty- http://www.veganpeace.com/animal_cruelty/dairy.htm
    egg cruelty- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ--faib7to
  • subigirl
    subigirl Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Little late on this one...

Don't drink cows' milk because I've be lactose intolerant my entire life. I do drink 16 oz of almond milk every day as part of my protein shakes. Over the holidays, I did partake in a small glass or two of soy egg nog. :)
  • Hungry_Tuna
    Hungry_Tuna Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I hate cows milk, so I made the switch to unsweetened almond milk a few years ago. I prefer the taste of it to any other milk out there. I can do unsweetened soy as well, if I need the protein.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Why do people who don't know facts always resort to being extreme?
    Why do folks that don't agree with what others eat have to resort to being extreme?

:laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It's just weird - Besides humans (and companion animals who are fed by humans), no species drinks milk beyond infancy or drinks the milk of another species."
    Nor do other species raise their own crops, cook their meat and create their own long-lasting shelters.

I enjoy being perched atop the food chain, and do not feel the need to compare my eating habits to those of other animals.

We are only the top of the food chain because we use guns/machines to kill animals to fight our way to the top. If you put a human in a cage with a lion/bear/etc with no weapons then you will see who is really the top of the food chain. All species should be equal. A cow should NOT have to live its whole life trapped it a horrible factory getting forcibly impregnated so you can drink nasty milk.

We have the ability to build and use those tools. I don't think you're very objective on this subject. I love animals as much as anyone and I am a vegetarian. But I'm also able to use reason and common sense.

Why don't we just go back to our hunter-gatherer migratory ways? Who needs a house?

Why do people who don't know facts always resort to being extreme? "Why don't we just go back to our hunter-gatherer migratory ways? Who needs a house?" Did I say that at all. No. I clearly said we DO NOT live in those times so eating meat is now unnecessary. We are more advanced and do not need to eat animals to survive. You really love animals? Go vegan. Plenty of animals suffer and die for the dairy and egg industry.

I wonder if you've ever actually been to a farm (dairy, chicken or otherwise). It's one thing to look at propoganda and another to actually see for yourself.

I grew up downt he road from about 10 dairy farms and had several family friends who owned farms where they raised chickens, cows, sheep, you name it. Even now, I live in a small metropolitan area surrounded by rural country full of farms. I see those animals daily. I am not uninformed.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I use it about every day in a protein shake. I have however cut back becasue of the amount of sugars and am looking for alternatives to work into my routine like green tea and soy milk. I have never really had problems with it though.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    We are only the top of the food chain because we use guns/machines to kill animals to fight our way to the top. If you put a human in a cage with a lion/bear/etc with no weapons then you will see who is really the top of the food chain.
    We are at the top of the food chain because of our superior intellect, which has invented weapons allowing us to kill larger animals and eat them.
    All species should be equal. A cow should NOT have to live its whole life trapped it a horrible factory getting forcibly impregnated so you can drink nasty milk.
    If all species should be equal, should any animal be allowed to eat another then? C'mon... It's survival of the fittest (or smartest). It's the law of the jungle, alive and well in the jungle and out of the jungle.

WOW okay well I have nothing else to say to you because you are beyond help. Okay so its okay to rape a animal (Forcibly impregnating something sounds like rape to me!) so you can drink milk meant for its child??? Some animals eat each other because some animals are carnivores, (Humans are NOT & don't need to be, plenty of protein/nutrients in veggies etc) they chase down the animal and kill it with their teeth/claws eat it raw thats nature, not going through a drive thru or buying a pounds of gross ground beef then cooking and seasoning it etc thats not nature. We are not cave people we don't hunt for our food, the animals don't have a fighting chance like in the wild, they are confined to filthy nasty factory's were they live out their short sad life's, then are inhumanely slaughtered. I really feel bad for people who have no sense of right or wrong or compassion for animals. You are no better then any animal they deserve to be happy and live free. They don't owe you anything they shouldn't have to suffer because people are awful. Ugh But I don't even know why I say anything because most people are to mean to care so whatever. Keep killing animals and torturing them because you have no conscience.

This post will probably get deleted, but here is my take on animal activists in general: If you live in a first world capitalist society, you're a murderer. You support military forces and economic policies that steal the bread from children's mouths all over the world, just so you can have a high standard of living. You support sweat shops and dictators and oil wars every day of your life. You're a murderer, and so am I. The fate of cattle shouldn't be the first thing on our minds when we're feeling compassionate.

Compared to all that, compared to all the starving people in this world, what's a baby cow in the balance?
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Compared to all that, compared to all the starving people in this world, what's a baby cow in the balance?
    Veal.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Veal.

:laugh: Bad. Very bad. But funny.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Veal.

Thank goodness I have a sense of humor. :-)
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm severely lactose intolerant, so I have cut back dramatically on milk. I have about 4 oz a day of Lactaid in my coffee and protein shake. for my afternoon coffee I use soy milk. I supplement with calcium pills.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options

I wonder if you've ever actually been to a farm (dairy, chicken or otherwise). It's one thing to look at propoganda and another to actually see for yourself.

I grew up downt he road from about 10 dairy farms and had several family friends who owned farms where they raised chickens, cows, sheep, you name it. Even now, I live in a small metropolitan area surrounded by rural country full of farms. I see those animals daily. I am not uninformed.

I wondered this, too. I actually lived on a dairy farm for several years (we rented a house from a church member who owned a dairy farm). His cows were well cared for; they were out in the pastures during the day grazing, then they came in for milking. You could set your clock by their milking schedule. Every day about 2:00 in the afternoon, all the cows started heading toward the barn and lined themselves up at the milking machines. When they were done, they headed calmly back out to the field. When a calf was born, it remained with its mother until it was old enough to care for itself. I never heard baby cows screaming and being pulled from their mothers.

I think some of these propaganda sites like to use the worst example they can find to promote their cause. I agree there are probably some farms that don't treat their animals well, but I think they are probably in the minority.

I think people are more important than animals. Sorry to the vegans out there, but I don't think animals are on the same level as people. Doesn't mean people should be intentionally cruel, but if it's a choice between feeding my kids and making sure a cow is happy, I'm going to choose my kids.

Let the flaming begin...
  • raige123
    raige123 Posts: 352
    Options
    I drink So Delicious Coconut Milk in my protein shakes and its super yummy!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    I think people are more important than animals. Sorry to the vegans out there, but I don't think animals are on the same level as people. Doesn't mean people should be intentionally cruel, but if it's a choice between feeding my kids and making sure a cow is happy, I'm going to choose my kids.

Let the flaming begin...
    How about a high five, instead?
  • jnhu72
    jnhu72 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I drink unsweetened almond milk in vanilla or chocolate. I will occasional drink 1% milk as a treat.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Let the flaming begin...
    How about a high five, instead?

I'll take it! :happy:
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?

Huh? If a person doesn't have lactose intolerance and fits it in to their daily calories...what's the problem?
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I drink 1% organic milk. It is full of nutritious things for the body.

I bet most of the people who say, "you shouldn't drink milk" eat crap like mcdonalds

Not me! no fast food. (starbucks drive thrus occasionally where I only get soy milk) not really fast food... I don't use animal products at all... no meat/dairy/egg/honey/leather/etc.... So no fast food here! btw Almond milk is far more healthy then any milk... less calories and fat too! tons of protein/nutrients

Did you ever consider that Starbuck's coffee beans come from third world countries where farmers are actually still using pack mules and other beasts of burden? It is not fair to the poor animals to have to haul around loads of coffee beans all day so that you can have your latte with soy milk!!

Really thats the best you can do? Don't try to make me feel bad for what happens in some third world country that me being vegan doesn't effect either way. Starbucks coffee beans/tea are vegan. So back off. If you don't get dairy/whipped cream/certain drinks, it is vegan. Don't try to give me **** so you can feel better about supporting the meat/dairy/egg industry. Even if what you said is true (I couldn't find any website that said that) at least mules are not trapped in a factory their whole life then SLAUGHTERED for me to consume.

http://www.starbucks.com/responsibility/sourcing/coffee