Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• nokey73
    nokey73 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk or coconut milk in my shakes. I stopped drinking cows milk a long time ago, and got off of soy after being told it has more bad effects than good. I'm trying to stay away from most dairy in general though,
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    So, apparently, only by the grace of God has the human race been able to survive -- and thrive -- for thousands of years while drinking cow's milk? Wow!

:noway:
    :laugh:
    Only difference now is the milk isn't nearly as natural...
    I still drink it....meat I've already converted to only organic, dairy products next lol
    This could also be the reason so many people can't digest it, seeing as before the industrial age people drank fresh milk straight from the source. Straight from the source would never last as long as store bought milk.
    isn't the issue the lactose, though, that some folks are intolerant of? Did milk not have lactose in the past?

The fact of processed or organic being good for the body or not is completely different than the issue of lactose absorption. The body may handle organic better than processed for those who aren't lactose sensitive. And then there are people who are lactose sensitive. I'm not getting into processed foods though, it was merely a statement.

I have no issues with dairy except that I love it lol I really do just like throwing out "justa thought..." things and learning something new.

I was that annoying little kid that asked "why" a lot just b/c I'm truly curious :)
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Yes, but 1% because I fear lack of calcium and want strong bones as I get older. I just watch my dairy intake.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You don't see adult animals drinking milk, so why should adult humans drink milk? For real. Some people think that. I'm not one of them. Love me a big glass of milk. :)

I agree. That is a stupid argument. I don't care for the taste of milk but if the only reason for not drinking it is that other animals don't, then that would mean I couldn't have most things I eat or drink because animals don't eat or drink those either. You ever see an animal in the wild drinking soy or almond milk? Or eating sushi?

And, of course, many animals will gladly drink milk if it's given to them. They simply lack the ability to procure it on their own.
  • SusanneWhittington
    SusanneWhittington Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    soy milk, I use it for desserts and also smoothies.
  • theprettyone1010
    theprettyone1010 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I drink skim milk. It's low-cal. It's fine.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?
    I have heard of it and agree to some extent!
    But why? What harm is there?

If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.

^^ What she said. Also, if you want to lose weight, drinking milk regularly isn't really the way to go. It's designed to make a 20 lb animal grow quickly into a 400 lb creature. I drink it on VERY rare occasions, but generally go for soy-milk.

Well they must of broke the mold when they made me because I was drinking skim milk up til 2 years ago when I started my weightloss journey and I switched to 1% Milk and I consume 2 gallons a week (1 gal of White Milk and 1 gal of Chocolate Milk) and somehow have managed to lose 288 lbs. so far. I start my day with milk and drink a full glass of Chocolate Milk with some Almonds before bed.......
  • beaner1st
    beaner1st Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Used to drink skim milk every day but a few months back I tried almond milk and have not gone back. Love that it has half the calories with even more nutrients. And if you are used to skim milk you can get used to the almond milk taste.
    I :heart: milk! But I tried almond milk a couple of weeks ago and I have yet to switch back. It's about half the calories of skim milk.
  • margrobins
    margrobins Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Living with a man who is a Dairy Herdsman, we always have fresh milk straight from the farm.. I'm not a huge milk drinker, but do enjoy it when I finally have a glass :0)
  • tmm01
    tmm01 Posts: 137
    Options
    Drunk in moderation milk is an excellent source of nutrients. Calcium, vitamin A / B. I drink skimmed (uk) so less than 1% fat. 100ml is only 35cals. I sometimes use it as a meal substitute in the morning, as it's soo good for you. I possible drink about 1 pint on its own over a week, then have it on cereal and in tea.

Milk is good for all ages (whole milk for under 6yrs though)
  • Bailey543
    Options
    Low-fat chocolate milk is actually an awesome after-workout treat. Lots of protein and carbs to help replenish those tired muscles!

This.
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to drink milk from another species thats meant for their infants. ew I'll stick to my vanilla almond milk. Not pus/blood/fat/etc... You ever wonder why a lot of people are lactose intolerant? I'd rather drink breast milk, at least thats from humans. Still meant for infants though not adults/older children/teenagers. Probably the vegan in me talking...

"long-term overconsumption of calcium through cow's milk causes osteoporosis and does not prevent it" http://healthydialogues.blogspot.com/2009/02/hy-cows-milk-isnt-really-good-for-you.html

Facts that prove I'm not just a crazy animal lover- http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/
    http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html
    http://www.naturalnews.com/000983.html

You can't argue with facts. Milk is gross. Fattening. NOT at all good for you, Unless your a baby cow...

LASTLY:

"Milk—It Does a (Baby Cow's) Body Good
    Written by Matt Frazier in Nutrition
    This is a guest post from Courtney Carver at bemorewithless.com.

Top 6 Reasons to Drop the Dairy (Especially Milk)

Cruel to calves – Cows produce milk to nourish their young, but calves on dairy farms are taken away from their mothers when they are just 1 day old. They are fed milk substitutes (including cattle blood-ugh) so that their mothers' milk can be sold to humans.

Cruel to cows – Cows have a natural lifespan of about 25 years and can produce milk for eight or nine years. However, the stress caused by the conditions on factory farms leads to disease, lameness, and reproductive problems that render cows worthless to the dairy industry by the time that they're 4 or 5 years old, at which time they are sent to be slaughtered.

Cows are also fed unnatural, high-protein diets, which include dead chickens, pigs, and other animals, because their natural diet of grass would not provide the nutrients that they need to produce such massive amounts of milk.

Cruel to kids - Cow's milk is the number one cause of food allergies among infants and children, according to the American Gastroenterological Association.

Cruel to adults - A U.K. study showed that people who suffered from irregular heartbeats, asthma, headaches, fatigue, and digestive problems showed marked and often complete improvements in their health after cutting milk from their diets. This is especially true for people living with inflammatory conditions and auto-immune diseases.

Cruel to the earth - In California, America's top milk-producing state, manure from dairy farms has poisoned hundreds of square miles of groundwater, rivers, and streams. Each of the more than 1 million cows on the state's dairy farms excretes 18 gallons of manure daily.

It's just weird - Besides humans (and companion animals who are fed by humans), no species drinks milk beyond infancy or drinks the milk of another species."

A video of Dr. Mark Hyman talking about why dairy is bad for you and why the food pyramid is way off! http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/dairy-free-dairy-6-reason_b_558876.html
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I only drink almond and coconut milk.
  • italianissima
    italianissima Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Nope. I hate it! Yes, I said hate! heheheehe
    It also helps that I am believed to be intolerant to it!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have no desire to drink milk from another species thats meant for their infants. ew I'll stick to my vanilla almond milk. Not pus/blood/fat/etc... You ever wonder why a lot of people are lactose intolerant? I'd rather drink breast milk, at least thats from humans. Still meant for infants though not adults/older children/teenagers. Probably the vegan in me talking...

"long-term overconsumption of calcium through cow's milk causes osteoporosis and does not prevent it" http://healthydialogues.blogspot.com/2009/02/hy-cows-milk-isnt-really-good-for-you.html

Facts that prove I'm not just a crazy animal lover- http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/
    http://www.notmilk.com/kradjian.html
    http://www.naturalnews.com/000983.html

You can't argue with facts. Milk is gross. Fattening. NOT at all good for you, Unless your a baby cow...

LASTLY:

"Milk—It Does a (Baby Cow's) Body Good
    Written by Matt Frazier in Nutrition
    This is a guest post from Courtney Carver at bemorewithless.com.

Top 6 Reasons to Drop the Dairy (Especially Milk)

Cruel to calves – Cows produce milk to nourish their young, but calves on dairy farms are taken away from their mothers when they are just 1 day old. They are fed milk substitutes (including cattle blood-ugh) so that their mothers' milk can be sold to humans.

Cruel to cows – Cows have a natural lifespan of about 25 years and can produce milk for eight or nine years. However, the stress caused by the conditions on factory farms leads to disease, lameness, and reproductive problems that render cows worthless to the dairy industry by the time that they're 4 or 5 years old, at which time they are sent to be slaughtered.

Cows are also fed unnatural, high-protein diets, which include dead chickens, pigs, and other animals, because their natural diet of grass would not provide the nutrients that they need to produce such massive amounts of milk.

Cruel to kids - Cow's milk is the number one cause of food allergies among infants and children, according to the American Gastroenterological Association.

Cruel to adults - A U.K. study showed that people who suffered from irregular heartbeats, asthma, headaches, fatigue, and digestive problems showed marked and often complete improvements in their health after cutting milk from their diets. This is especially true for people living with inflammatory conditions and auto-immune diseases.

Cruel to the earth - In California, America's top milk-producing state, manure from dairy farms has poisoned hundreds of square miles of groundwater, rivers, and streams. Each of the more than 1 million cows on the state's dairy farms excretes 18 gallons of manure daily.

It's just weird - Besides humans (and companion animals who are fed by humans), no species drinks milk beyond infancy or drinks the milk of another species."

Your sources are suspect.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Nor do other species raise their own crops, cook their meat and create their own long-lasting shelters.

I enjoy being perched atop the food chain, and do not feel the need to compare my eating habits to those of other animals.
  • sheppeyescapee
    sheppeyescapee Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Am lactose intolerant so only drink soya or rice milk. Occasionally I have lactose free milk, but not all that often. I have about 200ml soya milk with my cereal and that's about it.
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Yuck. No!!! I like. Soy or almond milk better.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I love milk and all dairy products and they make up a good reliable chunk of my diet. I have a soy sensitivity so switching is not really an option.

If you did want to consider trying an alternative, almond and coconut milk are the way to go. :)
  • hollyeverhart
    hollyeverhart Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I love milk and all dairy products and they make up a good reliable chunk of my diet. I have a soy sensitivity so switching is not really an option.

Drink almond milk (I prefer unsweetened vanilla almond milk) its soy free and soooo much healthier! and no cows have to suffer to produce it.