Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• laurastrait21
    laurastrait21 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?
    I have heard of it and agree to some extent!
    But why? What harm is there?

If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.

i think the dairy we consume is being overridden by our lack of vitD, lack of exercise, obesity, SMOKING, and alcohol consumption. there's really no evidence that the dairy isn't doing "anything".
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I drink chocolate milk sometimes.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to whether those arguing that milk is bad (I assume that means not safe or healthy) for adults have any reason to think this other than the film Forks over Knives.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is for cows.
    Couldn't have said it better.
    Also, bees' honey is for bees only.

bee-movie-honey.jpg
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    No. I only have milk in tea. I find the idea of drinking another animal's lactation rather gross.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I drink 2% fairly often and use it in cereal. The article said it's an adaptation found among dairy farmers and a few tribes that herd cattle. So good for me, I'm a mutant.

As for the animal rights activists, you bewilder me. What makes you think enough people will care enough about cows to change things when people are starving to death every day? If not enough care about starving children, there sure aren't going to be enough to care about baby cows. You can't change how people feel about animals until you change how they feel about each other. And good luck with that.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    My mostly vegan sister was looking up honey yesterday as she was wondering whether it was ok to eat or not. We decided morally it was ok, but that it is make by a number of "regurgitations" by the bees, in other words, honey is bee vom. That put me off.
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to whether those arguing that milk is bad (I assume that means not safe or healthy) for adults have any reason to think this other than the film Forks over Knives.

I've never seen the film you mention, so I can't comment on that. I don't drink milk because I am extremely lactose intolerant. My health drastically improved when I dropped all dairy from my diet. Also, unless consumers buy raw milk from an organic dairy, they really don't know what chemicals they're consuming, the health of the cow from which the milk came, and the conditions under which the animal lives (same goes for any foods we purchase). I believe all these things affect human health and well being. There are plenty of other sources for vitamin D and calcium.

I'm not slamming anyone for consuming dairy or eating meat. I just know what is best for me.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    If I could get my hands on some local, grass-fed/finished full-fat raw milk I would go back to drinking it in a heartbeat. I will not touch the crap on the grocery store shelves. It creates excessive mucus in my body (especially in my gut). I stopped drinking it and my ongoing sinus issues went away. I have a glass and they come back within a half hour.

I've never seen that Forks film either. Never heard of it.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink 1% or skim milk 2 or 3 times a day. Calcium + Vitamin D at the same time is a fat burner. Plus Milk has a ton of protein for muscles and calcium for your bones. So you get fat loss and muscle gain if you drink 1% or skim since there is no fat in it!!!

^^this

This thread has given me a headache :laugh: Such a simple question...

FWIW
    yes, 75% of the non-caucasian population are lactose intolerant. It's the bonds that bind the sugars together that people who are lactose intolerant can't break down. Our little friends that live in the colon metabolize and release gases, water is pulled in and mixed with the undigested sugar viola diarrhea. Those of us that are not lactose intolerant are so by way of a beautiful little thing called adaptation. Furthermore, the recommendation is put in place so people can get an adequate amount of Vit. D. Calcium is found in many other sources and people can easily reach their needs with a dairy free diet. Vit d is produced by the body with exposure to the sun, so is a risk of skin cancer. I drink nonfat or 1 % with cereal, tea, and oatmeal. If you drink milk, yay! If you don't, Yay! :laugh:
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    No. I only have milk in tea. I find the idea of drinking another animal's lactation rather gross.
    It is isn't it.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Oh and I never said milk was bad, I just don't think we are getting what we think we do from it.
  • tikikris
    tikikris Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I drink 2% fairly often and use it in cereal. The article said it's an adaptation found among dairy farmers and a few tribes that herd cattle. So good for me, I'm a mutant.

As for the animal rights activists, you bewilder me. What makes you think enough people will care enough about cows to change things when people are starving to death every day? If not enough care about starving children, there sure aren't going to be enough to care about baby cows. You can't change how people feel about animals until you change how they feel about each other. And good luck with that.

Judgmental people bewilder me. I wish you joy and compassion in the new year. Peace.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options

I guess some of us just watch one particular thing and believe it outright? No. Nutrition classes and research also play a part in this. Milk is not bad for all. But I guess anyone who thinks milk is bad must be in the Forks over Knives cult. :)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    Oh and I never said milk was bad, I just don't think we are getting what we think we do from it.

I suppose that would depend on what "we" think we are getting.
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Options

Animals produce milk to feed their babies. The babies are then weaned off the milk as adults. After age two, humans no longer produce the enzyme to process & digest lactose. Humans are the only species that consumes another species breast milk. Not only that, but in factory farms, cows live in horrid conditions, are artificially inseminated to be constantly pregnant and as soon as the babies are born, they are ripped away from their crying mothers to be killed for veal (if they are male) or prisoned for life same as their mothers. Watching a couple youtube videos of the babies being ripped away from their crying mothers was enough for me to say enough is enough.

Health wise, it contains hormones. Not only rBGH (which causes early sexual maturity in kids), but the cortisol and adrenaline from the life of a stressed-out cow (or goat) goes into the milk. It contains pus. 750 million pus cells are allowed in each liter of milk.

I'll stick to almond, rice and coconut milk... much yummier anyway :)
  • Martha_VH
    Martha_VH Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it as often as I used to, but I love milk. If you like milk, drink it. There is nothing wrong with a glass or 2 a day.

Sure cow milk was created for baby calves first, but humans have been drinking it for centuries. I was lucky enough to pretty much grow up on my grandfather's dairy farm. The calves have plenty of milk, plus there is usually enough for us too.
    If you don't have dairy because you choose not to, good for you. If you drink milk good for you.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options

Judgmental people bewilder me. I wish you joy and compassion in the new year. Peace.

I like judgmental people just fine. Happens I am one. But spitting into the wind, that defies common sense, and when I see people doing it, I just have to say something.

And thank you, I wish you the same!
  • bcattoes
    Options

Animals produce milk to feed their babies. The babies are then weaned off the milk as adults. After age two, humans no longer produce the enzyme to process & digest lactose. Humans are the only species that consumes another species breast milk. Not only that, but in factory farms, cows live in horrid conditions, are artificially inseminated to be constantly pregnant and as soon as the babies are born, they are ripped away from their crying mothers to be killed for veal (if they are male) or prisoned for life same as their mothers. Watching a couple youtube videos of the babies being ripped away from their crying mothers was enough for me to say enough is enough.

Health wise, it contains hormones. Not only rBGH (which causes early sexual maturity in kids), but the cortisol and adrenaline from the life of a stressed-out cow (or goat) goes into the milk. It contains pus. 750 million pus cells are allowed in each liter of milk.

I'll stick to almond, rice and coconut milk... much yummier anyway :)

But can you provide any evidence that any of that is unhealthy for adult consumption? Like scientific evidence or recommendations from a nutrition or health organization advising not to consume it.

My cat loves milk and no matter what he says, he isn't human.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink 1% or skim milk 2 or 3 times a day. Calcium + Vitamin D at the same time is a fat burner. Plus Milk has a ton of protein for muscles and calcium for your bones. So you get fat loss and muscle gain if you drink 1% or skim since there is no fat in it!!!

Fat doesn't make you fat (chronic high blood sugars and excessive insulin production which in turn create constant hunger and cellular starvation at the same time is what makes you fat) and you can get vitamin D from the sun and calcium from dark leafy greens. It actually has very little protein. I can have a couple of eggs and surpass the amount of protein in 8oz. of milk. It has as much sugar as a typical serving of sugary cereal (double whammy for the kids!). It's not a fat-burner.