Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Sorry for being so sensitive. I just took offense to your allusion that people only drink milk because an advertisement says its good for them. Milk actually is good for you if your body can handle. Peanuts are good for you too if your body can handle that. I honestly don't believe that any food is really bad for you unless eaten in excess or unless your body has some unique set of circumstances leading to allergies or intolerances. The only thing that makes food bad is the additives that get put in it.
    Bingo. Blanket statements like "nobody over 6 should drink milk" are silly. Some folks are tolerant, others are not -- like many other food products.
  • TheAnonGit
    Options
    I rarely drink milk, but when I do it is either rice milk, or if that is not available, skim milk. I usually prefer to save my calories though, and have been drinking mostly water.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    So, apparently, only by the grace of God has the human race been able to survive -- and thrive -- for thousands of years while drinking cow's milk? Wow!

:noway:
    :laugh:
    Only difference now is the milk isn't nearly as natural...
    I still drink it....meat I've already converted to only organic, dairy products next lol
    This could also be the reason so many people can't digest it, seeing as before the industrial age people drank fresh milk straight from the source. Straight from the source would never last as long as store bought milk.
    isn't the issue the lactose, though, that some folks are intolerant of? Did milk not have lactose in the past?

The fact of processed or organic being good for the body or not is completely different than the issue of lactose absorption. The body may handle organic better than processed for those who aren't lactose sensitive. And then there are people who are lactose sensitive. I'm not getting into processed foods though, it was merely a statement.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?
    I have heard of it and agree to some extent!
    But why? What harm is there?

If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.

^^ What she said. Also, if you want to lose weight, drinking milk regularly isn't really the way to go. It's designed to make a 20 lb animal grow quickly into a 400 lb creature. I drink it on VERY rare occasions, but generally go for soy-milk.
    Thank you, at least someone can agree with me, thats all I needed!

I agree with this also. Just because tv ads tells us dairy is good for us doesn't mean it necessarily is for everyone. People who produce these products are the ones putting out the adds. You have to do research and find out what you really should believe...it's as simple as that. And of course there are people who are going to disagree and go by what others tell them is right without a question.

I don't need someone to tell me what is right or wrong about what I eat or drink. I am a big girl and can make that decision for myself. I happen to know that cow's milk is a good source of calcium, protein, and potassium and therefore, choose to drink it. If you want to avoid drinking it because someone told you that it MIGHT be bad for you, then that is your choice.

It's not just about the makeup of the food, but how your body absorbs it. Milk contains protein, potassium and calcium but it has been found to be less bio-available than other sources, meaning you aren't getting all the nutrients you think you are. Many people have problems digesting milk (because we lose the enzyme lactase as toddlers) which creates other digestive problems unrelated to the nutrient absorption. If you choose to drink milk, organic milk from pasture raised grass fed cows without hormones is the only way to go.

Okay you summed up what I meant to say. Guess I need to learn to choose my words a little more wisely. Although I don't mind if people don't agree either. lol

Okay but not everyone loses the ability to make lactase. Sure, there are some that do not realize that they are experiencing symptoms due to lactose intolerance, but that doesn't mean that a blanket statement "Milk is bad" is appropriate.

Yes a blanket statement is not necessarily correct, that is why I posted the article and made the point that 60% of humans can't properly digest it. I never said ALL.
  • ejohndrow
    ejohndrow Posts: 1,399 Member
    Options
    I do not drink it, but only because it makes me want to vomit.
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    OMG you guys are nuts!! nuts I say.

If you don't want to drink milk then don't, I myself love the stuff!
    Drink what you want!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't like the taste of milk much, but I do sometimes drink skim milk with plant sterols added to get enough calcium and for the plant sterols. I drink soy milk daily. I don't drink a lot of plain water.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.
    That film has been discredited many times over.

Drawing a conclusion from one data point to another like that, without more evidence to back up any sort of connection is flawed. I could just as easily say that where the US consumes more popcorn, that is to blame for the incidence of osteoporosis.

Yeah thats our government not wanting to lose money... thats what it is all about if most people quit drinking/eating dairy the government would lose!
  • 1WorkoutAtATime
    Options
    nope..
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I drink milk every day. Usually a glass with breakfast, and a little in my coffee. Sometimes I use it in Shakelology or protein shakes. I must drink milk with any kind of cookie, cake, brownie or peanut butter. :)
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is for cows.
    Couldn't have said it better.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    more than ever.

Look up GOMAD, ffs.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    everyday, cow, soy, organic. whatever, love the stuff
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Oh I love milk...I used to drink a quarter to half gallon every day. I'd drink it with every meal, at random times, at night when I woke up thirsty (1 or 2 percent).

Now I don't drink it anywhere near as much, I focus on water, tea and coffee to save the calories. But once in a while I drink it if I have the calorie room. And I have to drink it if I eat pasta.
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.

Please tell me you are joking.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    1% every day i loveeeee it
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I only have 1/2 cup 2 percent milk when I have cereal for breakfast. I used to be a big milk drinker but had already quit drinking it by the time I started here.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    OMG you guys are nuts!! nuts I say.

If you don't want to drink milk then don't, I myself love the stuff!
    Drink what you want!

Most reasonable answer I've read yet.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    That film has been discredited many times over.

Drawing a conclusion from one data point to another like that, without more evidence to back up any sort of connection is flawed. I could just as easily say that where the US consumes more popcorn, that is to blame for the incidence of osteoporosis.

Yeah thats our government not wanting to lose money... thats what it is all about if most people quit drinking/eating dairy the government would lose!

Forgive me if I'm being too crass, but that is laughable. Our economy is built around so many different kinds of goods that the loss of a single industry would not have a devastating impact.
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    Yes daily....mainly only to mix my protein shakes in...but I love milk!