Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I use Unsweetened Almond Milk... but on the occasions that I run out of it before going to the store, I will use my son's whole milk for my cereal :bigsmile: I never "drink" milk though unless I've had peanut butter ..
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Iv been trying to stick to a mostly water fluid intake. Haven't had milk in a while and I'm wondering if anyone else drinks it on a regular basis?
    Yes, and like eggs, in moderation.
    Everything is fair game in my program. No off limits foods or pleasures at the dinner table.
    Life is to be lived.

Moderation is key.
  • smitty328
    smitty328 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Not too often.... but if I do, it's skim only.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    only in my cereal
  • jupaba
    jupaba Posts: 25
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.

Why would you say that? Milk is an important source of calcium and Vitamin D. I drink the recommended amount of milk daily (according to Canada's Food Guide). I drink skim which saves fat and calories. As a 40 year old woman I make sure to get my calcium daily and believe in getting it naturally rather than from supplements.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    To answer the question about why you shouldn't drink milk after the age of 6...most people cannot properly digest milk. In my nutrition class they listed it's 80% of adults but this article claims 60%. Either way, most people lose that ability to properly digest it and although most people don't have significant reactions, the body can still react badly without any symptoms.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm
    The article points out that some folks have deadly allergies to it, and others have intolerance that can produce symptoms like "cramping, bloating, nausea, flatulence and diarrhea."

I could not find anything in the article that said anything to the effect of , "...although most people don't have significant reactions, the body can still react badly without any symptoms."
  • pph79
    pph79 Posts: 78
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?
    I have heard of it and agree to some extent!
    But why? What harm is there?

If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.

^^ What she said. Also, if you want to lose weight, drinking milk regularly isn't really the way to go. It's designed to make a 20 lb animal grow quickly into a 400 lb creature. I drink it on VERY rare occasions, but generally go for soy-milk.
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Dont drink milk EVER but I too will use it when Im cooking...I dont know....something about me drinking a fluid that was sloshing around in an animals belly makes me sick ! Plus I work on a dairy farm p/t so uuuhh NO !
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    To answer the question about why you shouldn't drink milk after the age of 6...most people cannot properly digest milk. In my nutrition class they listed it's 80% of adults but this article claims 60%. Either way, most people lose that ability to properly digest it and although most people don't have significant reactions, the body can still react badly without any symptoms.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

If you're not experiencing symptoms, then how can you be intolerant?

"There are people who have true milk allergies that can cause deadly reactions. But most people who have bad reactions to milk aren't actually allergic to it, in that it's not their immune system that's responding to the milk

Instead, people who are lactose intolerant can't digest the main sugar —lactose— found in milk. In normal humans, the enzyme that does so —lactase— stops being produced when the person is between two and five years old. The undigested sugars end up in the colon, where they begin to ferment, producing gas that can cause cramping, bloating, nausea, flatulence and diarrhea.

Being able to digest milk is so strange that scientists say we shouldn't really call lactose intolerance a disease, because that presumes it's abnormal. Instead, they call it lactase persistence, indicating what's really weird is the ability to continue to drink milk."

Your body doesn't always show symptoms of cancer either. The body sends off alarm signals when you are having severe reactions. But eating certain foods might just make you feel groggy, irritable, or you may not even notice much, but your body is still reacting badly to that substance. It doesn't have to be a severe allergy with crazy symptoms for you to be allergic
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Almond milk for my cereal and if I'm ordering Starbucks that's always Soy
  • emily2tx
    Options
    I drink it occasionally with my cereal in the morning and other times with my whey protein isolate after a workout or as a snack or meal when I am in a hurry. MMM! I only drink skim though.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Drink a glass of nonfat every morning. Never going to give it up.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Pray tell... why?
    I have heard of it and agree to some extent!
    But why? What harm is there?

If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.

^^ What she said. Also, if you want to lose weight, drinking milk regularly isn't really the way to go. It's designed to make a 20 lb animal grow quickly into a 400 lb creature. I drink it on VERY rare occasions, but generally go for soy-milk.
    Thank you, at least someone can agree with me, thats all I needed!
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I still drink milk, but have switched to skim. I don't drink it nearly as much as I used to. But I could never give it up.
  • tattooedtwiin
    Options
    Cows milk is for cows.
  • carolinedb
    carolinedb Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love milk! I have it in my protein shakes, and I usually have a glass with a square or two of dark chocolate as my dessert!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    I drink at least 1.5 8oz cups of whole milk a day.
    I drink 1 to 1.5 cup in my morning coffee with 2 tbs coffee mate peppermint mocha creamer in the morning.
    At night if I feel like I am cold I drink another cup with the 2 tbs coffee mate peppermint mocha creamer warmed then snuggle up in a big warm comforter. It feels amazing and very relaxing :drinker:
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love milk. I don't usually drink it unless with my cereal but sometimes if I'm still hungry after a meal I'll drink a cup of 2% and it keeps me nice a full.
  • Ambrogio1
    Ambrogio1 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I drink milk with most of my sugar foods whenI treat myself. Cookies/Milk Chocolate/Milk PB/Milk
    I love me some milk. I would rather quit life today then eliminate milk.
    I work it into my regimens. I can stand some fat free milk once and awhile to dummydown the cals

MILK FO LIFE FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,732 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is for cows.
    Moo.