Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I drink at least one glass of fat free milk every day. It is one of the best ways to help your body recover after exercising (refer to this article. It is a scientific study taken from a scholarly publication: http://www.ajcn.org/content/86/2/373.short). I always drink a glass of milk in a post-workout smoothie or on it's own. it's also a good way to bring your blood sugar up quickly and help you stabilize if you are feeling faint from low blood sugar, for example. Milk is one of my best friends on my weight loss journey! Drink up! :drinker:
  • Bheller234
    Options
    I usually only drink milk with my cereal everyday and it is almond vanilla milk. Once in a while i want a glass of milk and i will sometimes drink my parents 2% milk that they have instead of my almond milk. (They make more money than me and can go buy more whenever they want :laugh: )
  • MommyLyssa
    Options
    I drink organic WHOLE milk (nom!) from our local dairy farm...*drool*
  • aaronburgess
    aaronburgess Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk almost everyday and include about 8-16 oz. in a protein shake. I occasionally will drink skim milk.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?
    I have heard of it and agree to some extent!
    But why? What harm is there?

If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.

^^ What she said. Also, if you want to lose weight, drinking milk regularly isn't really the way to go. It's designed to make a 20 lb animal grow quickly into a 400 lb creature. I drink it on VERY rare occasions, but generally go for soy-milk.
    Thank you, at least someone can agree with me, thats all I needed!

I agree with this also. Just because tv ads tells us dairy is good for us doesn't mean it necessarily is for everyone. People who produce these products are the ones putting out the adds. You have to do research and find out what you really should believe...it's as simple as that. And of course there are people who are going to disagree and go by what others tell them is right without a question.
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I drink skim milk - but not nearly as much as I used to. At the end of the day I just would rather use my calories on something else!! SO SAD :( But true.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.
    That film has been discredited many times over.

Drawing a conclusion from one data point to another like that, without more evidence to back up any sort of connection is flawed. I could just as easily say that where the US consumes more popcorn, that is to blame for the incidence of osteoporosis.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Yes, I drink milk. It's been proven in several studies to be one of the best recovery drinks after resistance training, including one study done at my school by my professors. That one was chocolate milk. So, I drink chocolate skim milk or a protein shake made with milk after my heavy workouts.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.

I think they mean from the bottle, not the nipple.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    As a 40 yr. Old woman, I want calcium. So I do still drink milk, just less, plus a calcium suppliment. Max per day is 8 oz. Tho. I eat yogurt, not every day tho, and very minimal amts. Of cheese.
  • chaylajean
    Options
    Pray tell... why?

Humans aren't supposed to drink milk once they have fully developed their "adult" teeth. The teeth that we have as children that we lose are called "milk" teeth. this refers to breast feeding. From my understanding, American's are really the only people that continue drinking milk like water after this point. I am from the midwest and we are big milk drinkers. I love milk and try to only use it in my cereal or in something I am cooking.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Pray tell... why?

^^ What she said. Also, if you want to lose weight, drinking milk regularly isn't really the way to go. It's designed to make a 20 lb animal grow quickly into a 400 lb creature. I drink it on VERY rare occasions, but generally go for soy-milk.

I agree with this also. Just because tv ads tells us dairy is good for us doesn't mean it necessarily is for everyone. People who produce these products are the ones putting out the adds. You have to do research and find out what you really should believe...it's as simple as that. And of course there are people who are going to disagree and go by what others tell them is right without a question.

I don't need someone to tell me what is right or wrong about what I eat or drink. I am a big girl and can make that decision for myself. I happen to know that cow's milk is a good source of calcium, protein, and potassium and therefore, choose to drink it. If you want to avoid drinking it because someone told you that it MIGHT be bad for you, then that is your choice.
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    yep, skim
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You can get your vitamins elsewhere! I firmly belive that cow milk is for baby cows, and human milk is for babies...

If that's what YOU believe, then YOU shouldn't drink it! Easy peasy! :-)
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is for cows.

does that make me an almond? :laugh:

I'm not a big fan of milk - when I went vegan and gave up dairy I found I never had a taste for it again.
    I love unsweetened almond milk now, fantastic replacement for milk.
  • erin_zuk
    erin_zuk Posts: 226 Member
    Options
  • Suziq2you
    Suziq2you Posts: 396 Member
    Options

Says who?
  • rockchalkgrove
    rockchalkgrove Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I only have it in my morning smoothie! (fat free/skim). I do take calcium supplements too!
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink 1% or skim milk 2 or 3 times a day. Calcium + Vitamin D at the same time is a fat burner. Plus Milk has a ton of protein for muscles and calcium for your bones. So you get fat loss and muscle gain if you drink 1% or skim since there is no fat in it!!!
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Pray tell... why?

I don't need someone to tell me what is right or wrong about what I eat or drink. I am a big girl and can make that decision for myself. I happen to know that cow's milk is a good source of calcium, protein, and potassium and therefore, choose to drink it. If you want to avoid drinking it because someone told you that it MIGHT be bad for you, then that is your choice.

I didn't say you were right or wrong. Simply stating that there is a lot of research out there that I have read about milk.I am a bio major, so nutrition is a big interest of mine. Plus I was lactose intolerant as a child, so after I dropped dairy from my diet I lost 9lbs in less than 2 months. Just my experience and opinion.