Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• mcjmommy
    mcjmommy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 cup of skim milk for breakfast every day. I love milk and would drink more, but I want to eat my calories, not drink them.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    Only with cereal mixed in it.
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Hells yeah with my protein shake. I still live on Milk does a body well
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?
    I have heard of it and agree to some extent!
    But why? What harm is there?
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Nope.. but because it upsets my stomach now.
    I love milk and it breaks my heart I cannot drink it anymore.
    It started to upset my stomach too, so now I use soy milk in my protein shakes. Healthy unsaturated fats, 10% of your daily potassium, and 8g of protein (almond milk barely has any protein). I can still have a little regular milk occasionally with cereal or cookies though! :-)
  • bump040510
    Options
    I haven't had one drop of dairy in over a year. I use soy milk in my tea.
  • ShadowSoldier23
    ShadowSoldier23 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    To answer the question about why you shouldn't drink milk after the age of 6...most people cannot properly digest milk. In my nutrition class they listed it's 80% of adults but this article claims 60%. Either way, most people lose that ability to properly digest it and although most people don't have significant reactions, the body can still react badly without any symptoms.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    I drink goat milk and love goat cheeses, and yogurt and pretty much anything diary related. And thinking people shouldn't drink milk past a certain age are followers by nature and probably support some kind of restricted type of diet......yes I'm guessing. :devil:
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Iv been trying to stick to a mostly water fluid intake. Haven't had milk in a while and I'm wondering if anyone else drinks it on a regular basis?

I rarely drink milk, but add it when I cook.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?

If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.
  • Sardine239
    Sardine239 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Love milk, can't even imagine giving it up. I just budget it into my allotted calories like everything else I eat and drink.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I still drink milk every once in a while when I am in the mood. I drink skim milk and usually have it for a snack 8oz is only 80 calories and can curb hunger pains.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a lot of skim milk, use it for cereal, cooking, etc. After getting introduced to almond milk, though, I rarely buy or use cow's milk now. The Almond Breeze unsweetened has about 40 calories per cup, compared to 80 per cup of skim milk. I like that it leaves me more calories to use for other things. (Hmmm, like an extra cup of milk!)
    I am a latte fanatic, and I drink those made from skim milk.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    To answer the question about why you shouldn't drink milk after the age of 6...most people cannot properly digest milk. In my nutrition class they listed it's 80% of adults but this article claims 60%. Either way, most people lose that ability to properly digest it and although most people don't have significant reactions, the body can still react badly without any symptoms.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2009-08-30-lactose-intolerance_N.htm

If you're not experiencing symptoms, then how can you be intolerant?
  • mcdonl
    mcdonl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Went to Almond Mike (Unsweetened Vanilla) and never looked back.
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Yup - matter of fact I have just 'downed' a 350ml glass of skimmed, after the gym *licks lips*
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I didn't when I was trying to loose, but now in maintenance mode I do bc I am consistently low on protein and calcium and adding it in here in there helps out. And I only drink fat free or skim.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Pray tell... why?

If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.

The rate of osteoperosis in America does not prove that milk does not do anything for us. Americans drink a lot of sodas comprised of calcium-depleting phosphoric acid. I can almost guarantee that Americans drink more sodas than they do milk.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Pray tell... why?

And many grow up perfectly health consumeing diary. And the osteo story is pure ficton in relation to diary. Ever heard of sustainable farming? I bet your vegetarian...j/k
  • I'm lactose intolerant, so I can only handle a little bit of dairy, but I use 1% milk in my oatmeal. If you're worried about the cals/fat in milk, drink skim! Still a great source of protien and vitamins/minerals, without all the extra fat/cals!