Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?

^This. ???

Some people don't believe milk is all that healthy for you once you're past the age of breasfeeding (though I would think that is well before the age of 6). You don't see adult animals drinking milk, so why should adult humans drink milk? For real. Some people think that. I'm not one of them. Love me a big glass of milk. :)
  • FaugHorn
    FaugHorn Posts: 1,060 Member
    Options
    I love milk and all dairy products and they make up a good reliable chunk of my diet. I have a soy sensitivity so switching is not really an option.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Milk is for children under the age of 6. If you are older than that and drinking milk you should probably rethink that.
    Pray tell... why?

^This. ???

Some people don't believe milk is all that healthy for you once you're past the age of breasfeeding (though I would think that is well before the age of 6). You don't see adult animals drinking milk, so why should adult humans drink milk? For real. Some people think that. I'm not one of them. Love me a big glass of milk. :)

Most animals are either herbivore or carnivore. We are omnivores. Not that you were taking the other side. I just wanted to point that out.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    You don't see adult animals drinking milk, so why should adult humans drink milk? For real. Some people think that.
    You know, I've never seen an animal cook it's prey's flesh before eating it. Maybe I'll stick to eating raw meat from now on too. :laugh:
    I'm not one of them. Love me a big glass of milk. :)
    :drinker:
  • jferris91
    jferris91 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I love milk :) I dont drink it everyday but I have two or three glasses a day!
  • hanababe
    hanababe Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I drink 1 cup of 1% milk every day with a whole grain cereal, but I find that I get enough calcium from other foods during the day without having to drink milk.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Going just what I learned in bio of the lac operon, in the presence of high levels of glucose the body will not use lactose as a source of energy. When glucose levels are extremely low (virtually non existent) then the body will digest the lactose. All this really tells me, if you like milk drink it but it is by no means necessary.

I'm a big fan of almond milk, less calories and more calcium. Even though there is less protein, I've got chicken and tuna to satisfy that for me.
  • iceqieen
    iceqieen Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    drink milk. and eat cheese and jogurt.

I love dairy products but also if I dont consume enough of them my nails and hair suffer. I'd rather not take supplements for that, since I know I'm fine as long as I drink 1-2 glasses of milk per day :)

Then again, I come from a country where dairy products are and have always been essential in the diet.
  • JT1090
    JT1090 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Nope. I haven't had it in a few month and just recently went Vegan so I don't plan on ever having it.
    I know too much about what is done to dairy cows. I can't look at milk the same anymore.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Milk, yuk!!! I didnt even drink it as a child or so my Mom told me. It is nasty!!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,019 Member
    Options
    Pray tell... why?
    I have heard of it and agree to some extent!
    But why? What harm is there?

If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.

^^ What she said. Also, if you want to lose weight, drinking milk regularly isn't really the way to go. It's designed to make a 20 lb animal grow quickly into a 400 lb creature. I drink it on VERY rare occasions, but generally go for soy-milk.

I'm not sure why milk is getting such a bad rep in this thread. I buy a gallon of skim milk weekly.....I highly doubt a 90 calorie, 0 fat glass of milk is going to make me a 400 lb creature. I'll blame the pizza, sweets, and lack of exercise for that.

To the OP, yes I love milk and will never give it up. I am not sure why anyone would feel they need to as long as they like it. I find it strange how many people here are dissing milk and making it sound terrible, yet how many people still drink pop, sugary juices and alcohol on a somewhat regular basis?
    Grain is what gets those cows to market 3 times as fast as a grazer ever could, so if you want to find a reason why people are fat look to grain consumption......milk consumption is down about 40% over the last 30 years, but I doubt people are going to be giving up their grain diets anytime soon. People are sheep and can be led down any path with enough misinformation.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I would just like to respond to the person who pointed out the high rates of osteoporosis in the American population, even though we consume massive amounts of dairy.

Do you know why this is? Because people are getting their calcium in products that have little to no fat. This is because Vitamin-D, which aids in the uptake of calcium, is a fat soluble vitamin.

So we are taking in gobs and gobs of calcium and vitamin D, but this "fat in foods is bad" mantra has made our actual absorption TANK, because every dairy product out there is low-fat or non-fat.

Obviously every dairy product available is not low or non- fat. But it is true that vitamin D is fat soluable, which is why it's recommended that you take supplements with meals. Drinking a glass of skim milk with any food that contains fat or even taking a fish oil pill with the milk will do the trick. The fat doesn't have to be in the milk to allow the vitamin D to be absorbed.
  • MFPfriend
    MFPfriend Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Pray tell... why?

If you have ever seen Forks over knives you would understand, basically think of it this way, America consumes more dairy than any other country but we also have the highest rate of osteoprosis and other problems proving that all that dairy isn't doing anything for us!! Many people grow up healthy and strong without cow milk.

Statistics 101 Vocab:
    *confounding variable- In statistics, a confounding variable (also confounding factor, lurking variable, a confound, or confounder) is an extraneous variable in a statistical model that correlates (positively or negatively) with both the dependent variable and the independent variable.
    *Correlation- Correlation refers to any of a broad class of statistical relationships involving dependence.
    *Causation- The belief that events occur in predictable ways and that one event leads to another.
    "Correlation does not imply causation" is a phrase used in science and statistics to emphasize that correlation between two variables does not automatically imply that one causes the other.

These are huge things to know when interpreting a scientific study.

Was this a case study? Was it a survey? Observational study?

I'll need to know this information before I start believing that milk does nothing for our bodies.

As for me, as you all can probably tell, I love milk, and I drink it almost every day. 1%, with a little bit of Nesquik if I'm feeling naughty. ;)
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pray tell... why?

^^ What she said. Also, if you want to lose weight, drinking milk regularly isn't really the way to go. It's designed to make a 20 lb animal grow quickly into a 400 lb creature. I drink it on VERY rare occasions, but generally go for soy-milk.

I'm not sure why milk is getting such a bad rep in this thread. I buy a gallon of skim milk weekly.....I highly doubt a 90 calorie, 0 fat glass of milk is going to make me a 400 lb creature. I'll blame the pizza, sweets, and lack of exercise for that.

To the OP, yes I love milk and will never give it up. I am not sure why anyone would feel they need to as long as they like it. I find it strange how many people here are dissing milk and making it sound terrible, yet how many people still drink pop, sugary juices and alcohol on a somewhat regular basis?
    Grain is what gets those cows to market 3 times as fast as a grazer ever could, so if you want to find a reason why people are fat look to grain consumption......milk consumption is down about 40% over the last 30 years, but I doubt people are going to be giving up their grain diets anytime soon. People are sheep and can be led down any path with enough misinformation.

People are fat because they eat too much and exercise too little.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Pray tell... why?

Yes, some people ARE sheep ...

And we certainly have not been eating grain-based diets for thousands of years, have we?
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Statistics 101 Vocab:
    *confounding variable- In statistics, a confounding variable (also confounding factor, lurking variable, a confound, or confounder) is an extraneous variable in a statistical model that correlates (positively or negatively) with both the dependent variable and the independent variable.
    *Correlation- Correlation refers to any of a broad class of statistical relationships involving dependence.
    *Causation- The belief that events occur in predictable ways and that one event leads to another.
    "Correlation does not imply causation" is a phrase used in science and statistics to emphasize that correlation between two variables does not automatically imply that one causes the other.

These are huge things to know when interpreting a scientific study.

Was this a case study? Was it a survey? Observational study?

I'll need to know this information before I start believing that milk does nothing for our bodies.

As for me, as you all can probably tell, I love milk, and I drink it almost every day. 1%, with a little bit of Nesquik if I'm feeling naughty. ;)
    :love:
  • CallejaFairey
    CallejaFairey Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    lactose intollerant here, but i love milk. not a fan of lactose free, find it too sweet, so in the past year i tried goats milk and love it! whole organic goats milk for me. although i have found that since my eating habits have changed, my body seems better able to handle the cows milk i do occasionally have in the form of yogourt or cheese, or even milk in foods.

i will use almond or coconut milk in smotthies, only because i don't like the texture of my smoothie made with milk, but when it comes to drinking a glass or having it on my cereal, all those are too watery for me, and one thing i can't stand is soggy cereal :P
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Grain is cheaper than all animal products. In fact, the average American wouldn't be able to afford to eat meat if it weren't subsidized heavily. That probably goes to some extent for milk, cheese, and maybe eggs and chicken.

If I'm right and it's true that some people do better overall on a more carnivorous diet and that I'm one of those people, it's in my best interest to support those subsidies.

It's also in my best interest to encourage as many people as I can to go vegan, or at least to consume most of their calories as grain and not as animal products.

So carry on.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I use Almond Milk for my oatmeal, cereal and sometimes in my protein shake. However, I still go with nonfat milk in my Starbucks Skinny Peppermint Mocha.

Nonfat milk in the Starbucks Skinny Peppermint Mocha is SO GOOD! :love:

Did NOT care for the soy version blagh
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I drink milk with my protein shakes, adds another 8 grams of protein