Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• maritenour
    maritenour Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am the biggest fan of light vanilla soy milk. Some days I fall short of my calorie goal and I turn to milk for extra quick nutrients.
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    19 PAGES?!?? 19 PAGES?!?!?!?!?!?

Five freaken words, people... FIVE!!!!? "Do you still drink milk?"..... yes or no.... THAT'S IT!!!!!

HOW IN THE HELL CAN THIS TOPIC BE SO INTERESTING AND DEBATED SO LIVELY!?

I think I'll start a thread asking if people still eat bread. Or breathe.
    ROLL, BABY, ROLL! Sent it to Hell! :laugh:
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Yes I drink 1% or skim milk 2 or 3 times a day. Calcium + Vitamin D at the same time is a fat burner. Plus Milk has a ton of protein for muscles and calcium for your bones. So you get fat loss and muscle gain if you drink 1% or skim since there is no fat in it!!!

Fat doesn't make you fat (chronic high blood sugars and excessive insulin production which in turn create constant hunger and cellular starvation at the same time is what makes you fat) and you can get vitamin D from the sun and calcium from dark leafy greens.

wrong. Consuming more energy then the body needs makes one fat. Also, the risk for skin cancer for some (most) people is much to high to reach an adequate level of vit d. People with darker skin pigment would need up to three hours of unprotected sun exposure. Yes, you can get minute amounts of Vt. D via food, but it's not nearly enough. There is a reason that Vit D is added to milk, just as there is a reason salt is idoized.

You do not need milk to get vitamin D. You can simply take a vitamin D supplement.

Or stand outside in the sunshine ...

Well, when you have family members that nearly die from skin cancer you tend to rethink the unprotected sun exposure.........

Ten minutes a day will not cause skin cancer and that's enough to get more vitamin D than you actually need. This is an issue in northern areas in the fall and winter, though.

If you've HAD skin cancer, it's probably not a good idea.

Are you seriously arguing about CANCER to prove your point? RIDICULOUS. 10 min a day WILL increase cancer risk, and some people will need much more than 10 min a day. There are elderly people who CAN'T get out, people with allergies to SUN, and many many various reasons. I'm not even a milk advocate. I just can't stand how some of you people on here redundantly argue a point beyond it's validity. Get over yourselves. There are situations in the world that will go against what you "believe".

Sun exposure does not have to be constant to absorb vitamin D. You can get it in increments. It does not have to be outside, you can absorb it through a window. You can even absorb it with sunscreen on, though you will need longer exposure. You can get it without raising your risk of cancer.

Arguing allergy to the sun is silly. Some people are also allergic to milk. In either case the individual would need to avoid whatever they are allergic to.

I'm not really sure why are so against sunshine, but I'm sure you are right that somewhere there is an elderly person who is allergic to the sun and can't afford vitamin D supplements. We can only pray that this person is not lactose intolerant and has some way to get free milk. Or, they could just eat a big bowl of greens. If they have teeth and are not allergic to greens. And can afford them.

I'm not against sunshine by any means. I'm not against or for milk. The argument was that nobody needs to consume milk for any reason including vit. D. My point is that there are many reasons and for one to say unequivocally that people dont' need or shouldn't consume milk is absurd and tenacious.

No it's not. I've gone years without milk and I'm completely healthy with no vitamin defficiencies.

ya ya...but how's your teeth?

50 yo and still have them all. Only 2 fillings, which I've had since I was very young. Yours?

cracked one the other day on pita toast but other than that I can bite what needs to be bit:wink:

You guys really quotin this much?
    Yes.
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options

Five freaken words, people... FIVE!!!!? "Do you still drink milk?"..... yes or no.... THAT'S IT!!!!!

This is a serious topic! Milk is vital to our survival on this planet!!!

(someone won't get the slight sarcasm in my reply)
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    do cows really live to be 6 years old?
  • CaptainGordo
    Options

This has nothing to do with milk, and everything to do with teeth and sunshine, guys! TEETH AND SUNSHINE!!!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,733 Member
    Options
    This is the train wreck I can't stop reading. :tongue:

Moo,
    Jill
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

Was this sarcasm?
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options

so? yes or no?

Get ready, this is gonna be a long one...

*AHEM*

Yes.
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options

so? yes or no?

Get ready, this is gonna be a long one...

*AHEM*

Yes.
    Oh wow. Me too.
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT! Great teeth and sun chat here! Let's keep it up and roll this mother so that I can get it off of my list!

After reading the first very pages, and now coming to this one, I feel the exact same way. Who knew talking about whether or not you drink milk would go on to having a discussion about skin cancer?

Either way, I drink milk. Whenever I feel like it. Most mornings I have it with my cereal. I made a rather tasty smoothie with it yesterday with bananas and strawberries. I normally use 0%. Trying to convert the boyfriend to skim because it's what I drank growing up.
  • LethaSue
    LethaSue Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Milk was designed for baby cows; so baby cows can go from their birth weight to 300 pounds in the blink of an eye.
  • cirellim
    cirellim Posts: 269
    Options
    Unsweetened almond milk 35 calories a cup and in cereal you can't taste one bit of a difference I love it.
  • houstonmacbro
    houstonmacbro Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I gave up milk long ago. The generic (read: big brands) seem to make me feel sick and I generally do not like the taste. I switched to soy for awhile, but read a lot about soy products, estrogen, and testosterone levels so generally try to avoid most soy products. I now, infrequently, drink almond milk or rice milk. But I am not a big cereal-eater, so do not really have a craving for 'milk' type products.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Milk was designed for baby cows; so baby cows can go from their birth weight to 300 pounds in the blink of an eye.
    And honey is designed for bee use only. It has absolutely no application among other species.

:noway:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

OMG, have you no heart?? There are old people dying because they can't afford milk and can't get outside.
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    ALMOST ROLL TIME! Wooooooooooooooooooooo!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    And... go!
  • CaptainGordo
    Options
    Go!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    Very rare now... I just now add cereal to my oatmeal to make me more fuller.
    I only drink water and green tea