Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink 1% or skim milk 2 or 3 times a day. Calcium + Vitamin D at the same time is a fat burner. Plus Milk has a ton of protein for muscles and calcium for your bones. So you get fat loss and muscle gain if you drink 1% or skim since there is no fat in it!!!

Fat doesn't make you fat (chronic high blood sugars and excessive insulin production which in turn create constant hunger and cellular starvation at the same time is what makes you fat) and you can get vitamin D from the sun and calcium from dark leafy greens.

wrong. Consuming more energy then the body needs makes one fat. Also, the risk for skin cancer for some (most) people is much to high to reach an adequate level of vit d. People with darker skin pigment would need up to three hours of unprotected sun exposure. Yes, you can get minute amounts of Vt. D via food, but it's not nearly enough. There is a reason that Vit D is added to milk, just as there is a reason salt is idoized.

You do not need milk to get vitamin D. You can simply take a vitamin D supplement.

True, however not everyone has the means to do so. Many people (a lot a which are families with children) can not afford to buy supplements (or even can access to them). WIC and other subsidized food programs are the only way some people get their meals. Look, I'm not saying cow milk is the right choice for everyone. I just think that people need to get off their soapbox and realize that there are other people with different situations throughout the world. It's not black and white.
    But what if an evil local billionaire hatches a scheme to block the sun, forcing electricity rates to skyrocket and line his pockets with profits? Then what?!
  • WPoppysmith
    WPoppysmith Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Used to use milk in tea, but then converted to black coffee - just cant stand the taste of milk in coffee its yuck - but do love having a glass of ice cold milk on an evening. Used to live near a dairy and used to get jugs of the full fat stuff - so thick that you had to spoon it into your tea - it was vile and used to pour it down the drain and nip down the local shop and get a bottle of skimmed.
  • Cole721
    Options
    I love milk. I'm definitly a dairy person. I try to have one glass a day of whole milk. I'd rather drink milk than a soda and it's good for the bones (=
  • curvygirl512
    curvygirl512 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Excellent recovery drink after exercise. Rumor has it that chocolate milk is the best recovery drink, but I try to limit my sugar intake. After a workout, I usually down 8 oz of milk, then another 8 oz of water. Icy cold milk is the best!

And women still need calcium to guard against osteoporosis. So drink up!
  • JJasMyself
    JJasMyself Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! I have at least one glass of Fat Free Milk sometimes it's organic sometimes its not. It just depends on what I happend to buy that week.
  • ninjakitty419
    ninjakitty419 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Oh man...Ever since I was a kid, it was milk with every meal. I love it! It has been a huge issue with me to try drinking less because for the last 20 years I have been told "milk is healthy, it has calcium, it is good for you, everyone needs it, etc". I have switched to skim milk and I drink only an 8oz glass instead of 16oz. My husband wants me to drink less because he says it is too expensive and he doesnt want to have to buy alot of it. But I have it on cereal for sure and usually with supper.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink 1% or skim milk 2 or 3 times a day. Calcium + Vitamin D at the same time is a fat burner. Plus Milk has a ton of protein for muscles and calcium for your bones. So you get fat loss and muscle gain if you drink 1% or skim since there is no fat in it!!!

Fat doesn't make you fat (chronic high blood sugars and excessive insulin production which in turn create constant hunger and cellular starvation at the same time is what makes you fat) and you can get vitamin D from the sun and calcium from dark leafy greens.

wrong. Consuming more energy then the body needs makes one fat. Also, the risk for skin cancer for some (most) people is much to high to reach an adequate level of vit d. People with darker skin pigment would need up to three hours of unprotected sun exposure. Yes, you can get minute amounts of Vt. D via food, but it's not nearly enough. There is a reason that Vit D is added to milk, just as there is a reason salt is idoized.

You do not need milk to get vitamin D. You can simply take a vitamin D supplement.

True, however not everyone has the means to do so. Many people (a lot a which are families with children) can not afford to buy supplements (or even can access to them). WIC and other subsidized food programs are the only way some people get their meals. Look, I'm not saying cow milk is the right choice for everyone. I just think that people need to get off their soapbox and realize that there are other people with different situations throughout the world. It's not black and white.

I couldn't care less whether anyone drinks milk or not but the argument that it's needed for vitamin D is meritless regardless of your income since sunshine is free.
  • starshine420
    Options
    Sure do. Whenever I feel like it and I use almond milk in my protein shakes
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

I couldn't care less whether anyone drinks milk or not but the argument that it's needed for vitamin D is meritless regardless of your income since sunshine is free.

Ok, so lets go ahead and condemn anyone that can't afford supplements to skin cancer! Awesome! It's not meritless. Skin cancer is very serious risk.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Ok, so lets go ahead and condemn anyone that can't afford supplements to skin cancer! Awesome! It's not meritless. Skin cancer is very serious risk.

I repeat: TEN MINUTES A DAY DOES NOT CAUSE SKIN CANCER!!!!!!!
  • empc
    empc Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Skim milk when I get the craving. Drink much less than I use too though.
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    Options

Or stand outside in the sunshine ...

Well, when you have family members that nearly die from skin cancer you tend to rethink the unprotected sun exposure.........

Ten minutes a day will not cause skin cancer and that's enough to get more vitamin D than you actually need. This is an issue in northern areas in the fall and winter, though.

If you've HAD skin cancer, it's probably not a good idea.

Are you seriously arguing about CANCER to prove your point? RIDICULOUS. 10 min a day WILL increase cancer risk, and some people will need much more than 10 min a day. There are elderly people who CAN'T get out, people with allergies to SUN, and many many various reasons. I'm not even a milk advocate. I just can't stand how some of you people on here redundantly argue a point beyond it's validity. Get over yourselves. There are situations in the world that will go against what you "believe".
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    Options

I repeat: TEN MINUTES A DAY DOES NOT CAUSE SKIN CANCER!!!!!!!

And you have some way to prove this?
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I used to be milk obsessed - in fact, I drank so much that I'm pretty sure I put too much stress on my system, and developed lactose intolerance! It's not so bad, just get an upset stomach if I have too much dairy. So these days, with that and calorie counting, I try to restrict my drinks to water/tea/seltzer, and the occasional cocktail/beer/wine...but when it comes to cereal or oatmeal, or those days where nothing else will cut it, I still go with a full (non-fat, organic, preferably local) glass of milk!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Well, when you have family members that nearly die from skin cancer you tend to rethink the unprotected sun exposure.........

Ten minutes a day will not cause skin cancer and that's enough to get more vitamin D than you actually need. This is an issue in northern areas in the fall and winter, though.

Are you seriously arguing about CANCER to prove your point? RIDICULOUS. 10 min a day WILL increase cancer risk, and some people will need much more than 10 min a day. There are elderly people who CAN'T get out, people with allergies to SUN, and many many various reasons. I'm not even a milk advocate. I just can't stand how some of you people on here redundantly argue a point beyond it's validity. Get over yourselves. There are situations in the world that will go against what you "believe".

Sun exposure does not have to be constant to absorb vitamin D. You can get it in increments. It does not have to be outside, you can absorb it through a window. You can even absorb it with sunscreen on, though you will need longer exposure. You can get it without raising your risk of cancer.

Arguing allergy to the sun is silly. Some people are also allergic to milk. In either case the individual would need to avoid whatever they are allergic to.

I'm not really sure why are so against sunshine, but I'm sure you are right that somewhere there is an elderly person who is allergic to the sun and can't afford vitamin D supplements. We can only pray that this person is not lactose intolerant and has some way to get free milk. Or, they could just eat a big bowl of greens. If they have teeth and are not allergic to greens. And can afford them.
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    Yes I have 2 8oz glasses per day
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I have milk ALMOST every day for breakfast. It's normally with cereal or a super low cal meal and I drink it from a cup.
    Either way, it is a great source of vitamin D and I would never deprive myself of that when it comes to being healthy. I'd rather work out to make up for the calories or just cut back on something else.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Sun exposure does not have to be constant to absorb vitamin D. You can get it in increments. It does not have to be outside, you can absorb it through a window. You can even absorb it with sunscreen on, though you will need longer exposure. You can get it without raising your risk of cancer.

Arguing allergy to the sun is silly. Some people are also allergic to milk. In either case the individual would need to avoid whatever they are allergic to.

I'm not really sure why are so against sunshine, but I'm sure you are right that somewhere there is an elderly person who is allergic to the sun and can't afford vitamin D supplements. We can only pray that this person is not lactose intolerant and has some way to get free milk. Or, they could just eat a big bowl of greens. If they have teeth and are not allergic to greens. And can afford them.

and dont really need teeth...gummy them greens!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    Options

I'm not against sunshine by any means. I'm not against or for milk. The argument was that nobody needs to consume milk for any reason including vit. D. My point is that there are many reasons and for one to say unequivocally that people dont' need or shouldn't consume milk is absurd and tenacious.
  • FuzzieJelly
    FuzzieJelly Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I forgot to log my milk, thanks for the correction in my diary