Do you still drink milk?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink 1% or skim milk 2 or 3 times a day. Calcium + Vitamin D at the same time is a fat burner. Plus Milk has a ton of protein for muscles and calcium for your bones. So you get fat loss and muscle gain if you drink 1% or skim since there is no fat in it!!!

Fat doesn't make you fat (chronic high blood sugars and excessive insulin production which in turn create constant hunger and cellular starvation at the same time is what makes you fat) and you can get vitamin D from the sun and calcium from dark leafy greens.

wrong. Consuming more energy then the body needs makes one fat. Also, the risk for skin cancer for some (most) people is much to high to reach an adequate level of vit d. People with darker skin pigment would need up to three hours of unprotected sun exposure. Yes, you can get minute amounts of Vt. D via food, but it's not nearly enough. There is a reason that Vit D is added to milk, just as there is a reason salt is idoized.

You do not need milk to get vitamin D. You can simply take a vitamin D supplement.

Or stand outside in the sunshine ...

Well, when you have family members that nearly die from skin cancer you tend to rethink the unprotected sun exposure.........

Ten minutes a day will not cause skin cancer and that's enough to get more vitamin D than you actually need. This is an issue in northern areas in the fall and winter, though.

If you've HAD skin cancer, it's probably not a good idea.

Are you seriously arguing about CANCER to prove your point? RIDICULOUS. 10 min a day WILL increase cancer risk, and some people will need much more than 10 min a day. There are elderly people who CAN'T get out, people with allergies to SUN, and many many various reasons. I'm not even a milk advocate. I just can't stand how some of you people on here redundantly argue a point beyond it's validity. Get over yourselves. There are situations in the world that will go against what you "believe".

Sun exposure does not have to be constant to absorb vitamin D. You can get it in increments. It does not have to be outside, you can absorb it through a window. You can even absorb it with sunscreen on, though you will need longer exposure. You can get it without raising your risk of cancer.

Arguing allergy to the sun is silly. Some people are also allergic to milk. In either case the individual would need to avoid whatever they are allergic to.

I'm not really sure why are so against sunshine, but I'm sure you are right that somewhere there is an elderly person who is allergic to the sun and can't afford vitamin D supplements. We can only pray that this person is not lactose intolerant and has some way to get free milk. Or, they could just eat a big bowl of greens. If they have teeth and are not allergic to greens. And can afford them.

I'm not against sunshine by any means. I'm not against or for milk. The argument was that nobody needs to consume milk for any reason including vit. D. My point is that there are many reasons and for one to say unequivocally that people dont' need or shouldn't consume milk is absurd and tenacious.

No it's not. I've gone years without milk and I'm completely healthy with no vitamin defficiencies.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink 1% or skim milk 2 or 3 times a day. Calcium + Vitamin D at the same time is a fat burner. Plus Milk has a ton of protein for muscles and calcium for your bones. So you get fat loss and muscle gain if you drink 1% or skim since there is no fat in it!!!

Fat doesn't make you fat (chronic high blood sugars and excessive insulin production which in turn create constant hunger and cellular starvation at the same time is what makes you fat) and you can get vitamin D from the sun and calcium from dark leafy greens.

wrong. Consuming more energy then the body needs makes one fat. Also, the risk for skin cancer for some (most) people is much to high to reach an adequate level of vit d. People with darker skin pigment would need up to three hours of unprotected sun exposure. Yes, you can get minute amounts of Vt. D via food, but it's not nearly enough. There is a reason that Vit D is added to milk, just as there is a reason salt is idoized.

You do not need milk to get vitamin D. You can simply take a vitamin D supplement.

Well, when you have family members that nearly die from skin cancer you tend to rethink the unprotected sun exposure.........

Ten minutes a day will not cause skin cancer and that's enough to get more vitamin D than you actually need. This is an issue in northern areas in the fall and winter, though.

Are you seriously arguing about CANCER to prove your point? RIDICULOUS. 10 min a day WILL increase cancer risk, and some people will need much more than 10 min a day. There are elderly people who CAN'T get out, people with allergies to SUN, and many many various reasons. I'm not even a milk advocate. I just can't stand how some of you people on here redundantly argue a point beyond it's validity. Get over yourselves. There are situations in the world that will go against what you "believe".

Sun exposure does not have to be constant to absorb vitamin D. You can get it in increments. It does not have to be outside, you can absorb it through a window. You can even absorb it with sunscreen on, though you will need longer exposure. You can get it without raising your risk of cancer.

Arguing allergy to the sun is silly. Some people are also allergic to milk. In either case the individual would need to avoid whatever they are allergic to.

I'm not really sure why are so against sunshine, but I'm sure you are right that somewhere there is an elderly person who is allergic to the sun and can't afford vitamin D supplements. We can only pray that this person is not lactose intolerant and has some way to get free milk. Or, they could just eat a big bowl of greens. If they have teeth and are not allergic to greens. And can afford them.

I'm not against sunshine by any means. I'm not against or for milk. The argument was that nobody needs to consume milk for any reason including vit. D. My point is that there are many reasons and for one to say unequivocally that people dont' need or shouldn't consume milk is absurd and tenacious.

No it's not. I've gone years without milk and I'm completely healthy with no vitamin defficiencies.

ya ya...but how's your teeth?
  • nyprdiva
    nyprdiva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I don't consume any dairy... personal preference though.

The only people I know that really drink milk are the ones that are doing GOMAD... a gallon of whole milk per day. Yuck. Helped them get really strong though.

WOW! That's a lot of milk. What are supposed to be the benefits of that?
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

Applause! Congrats to you!
  • nyprdiva
    nyprdiva Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've decreased my milk intake drastically ever since I started drinking more tea (I drink my tea black) instead of coffee. But I also have been opting for other milk alternatives like Almond Milk. Now that Silk has one, I'm going to see how that is since I do have a lot of oatmeal in the winter.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

50 yo and still have them all. Only 2 fillings, which I've had since I was very young. Yours?
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options

50 yo and still have them all. Only 2 fillings, which I've had since I was very young. Yours?

Word!
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    EXCELLENT! Great teeth and sun chat here! Let's keep it up and roll this mother so that I can get it off of my list!
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    I love milk and I drink it when I want it in moderation like everything else.
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Only when I'm thirsty...
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Yes I do! I try to only drink 1%, or maybe 2% in a pinch. I hate hate hate skim milk. I don't drink milk much, usually just on my cereal. But I have read that milk is a good recovery food, so I might gave a small glass after a very intense workout. I have been adding almond milk into my diet too though, but I can't afford to switch exclusively to almond. A gallon a milk is about $3, while a much smaller carton of almond milk is also about $3, so it's more expensive.
  • 1bigtabbycat
    1bigtabbycat Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I used to drink a couple glasses of milk (2%) everyday. Then I got started on this website and wanting to loose weight. I don't drink near as much as I used to - I love milk! I didn't want to drink my calories. I have since switched to skim milk and drink at least 4 ounces everyday. Or 8 ounces every other day. I have heard that drinking milk helps you loose weight. It has nutrients your body needs and helps you feel full so you don't eat as much. Its a win - win for me!
  • Dave198lbs
    Options

cracked one the other day on pita toast but other than that I can bite what needs to be bit:wink:
  • trybefan
    trybefan Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    everyday.
  • cjpg
    cjpg Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    19 PAGES?!?? 19 PAGES?!?!?!?!?!?

Five freaken words, people... FIVE!!!!? "Do you still drink milk?"..... yes or no.... THAT'S IT!!!!!

HOW IN THE HELL CAN THIS TOPIC BE SO INTERESTING AND DEBATED SO LIVELY!?

I think I'll start a thread asking if people still eat bread. Or breathe.
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    EXCELLENT! Great teeth and sun chat here! Let's keep it up and roll this mother so that I can get it off of my list!

how bout dem Bears!
  • leslielt
    leslielt Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Absolutly!!!!!!!!!!!!! Milk is awesome!!!! I'm drinking some right now. I don't drink as much as I use to but the advantages of milk far outweighs the calorie thing. It even may help you lose weight (read that somewhere). I drink whole because if I wanted water I'd just drink water
  • muitobem
    muitobem Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Not often....just depends on what I might be eating that you just have to have a glass of milk with...I eat lots of Greek yogurt to get that dairy in...
  • Dave198lbs
    Options
    19 PAGES?!?? 19 PAGES?!?!?!?!?!?

Five freaken words, people... FIVE!!!!? "Do you still drink milk?"..... yes or no.... THAT'S IT!!!!!

HOW IN THE HELL CAN THIS TOPIC BE SO INTERESTING AND DEBATED SO LIVELY!?

I think I'll start a thread asking if people still eat bread. Or breathe.

so? yes or no?
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options

cracked one the other day on pita toast but other than that I can bite what needs to be bit:wink:

You guys really quotin this much?