WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Happy weekend ladies, Love seeing all the new names on here, you keep those of us who have been here a while on the straight and narrow and motivated. This week we are starting back at our gym...we both go together and once we are in the groove of going regularly we are pretty loyal to the regime, it's just getting our minds made up to get going again.

This week I've been cleaning out closets, what a chore, I have totally run out of closet space for my clothes and hate that they are all squished in together. Just so hard to get rid of some of my old favorites though...I have to let go of the idea that I might need those larger sizes someday...it's just not going to happen!

Making a list to go to the grocery to restock our shelves since being away for 3 months...wow do we need a lot of stuff...but I am seriously thinking of trying to lean more on fresh fruit and veggies, we seem to do so much better with our weight when we eat more vegetarian...I am not much of a meat eater anyway and cannot eat anything with wheat, oats, barley either since I have Celiac. Grocery shopping is not fun, have to read every label everytime we shop because contents change continually in products and I don't dare take a chance of being glutened. I'vr readjusted my goals and now only have about 13 more pounds to lose...making my total about 35...
    Hope everyone has something fun to do this weekend. xoSissy
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

Happy Saturday. It is freezing outside today, in fact, Environment Canada has issued a Cold Weather alert it is so cold!!! I don't plan on going anywhere today :happy:

genealace - I know you in Ottawa got hit with a lot more bad weather than we did, I hope you are okay :smile:

Virginia - you have given me inspiration to go and dust off my video (not dvd) of Sweatin with the Oldies!! I remember it was such fun to dance to :laugh:

KC - hope you have fun with the family :happy:

Rebel - I hope you have an amazing vacation :wink:

scomption - Happy Belated Birthday, sorry I missed it :blushing:

Welcome to the Newcomers. I am looking forward to getting to know you.:flowerforyou:

I didn't lose any weight but I am losing inches, which I am happy about. The girls at work and I are starting (seriously) the 17 Day Diet as of Monday, so we will see how that goes.

There is not too much else new, so I will go for now and I will talk to you later.

Love, Cathy xx
  • jaks97
    jaks97 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Started WII fit last Saturday the 7th as of today per WII my BMI is down and I have lost 2 lbs :) Next Saturday is my 2 week goal need to get more exercise in this week to make that goal
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday to you all. :drinker: Here in the west it's just beginning, those of you further east and over-seas from me, it's just about over. I love thinking about the connections this ongoing conversation gives me with people all over the world. Thanks to logging in and sharing these little snippets of your lives.

Looking for reasons to exercise? Hah! :laugh: Seriously. I am listening to "Spark" by John Ratey on my iPod. He discusses the research than links changes in our brains with aerobic exercise, particularly the positive effects of exercise to prevent/alleviate dementia, depression and ADHD. As a teacher I'm fascinated by what we are learning about how the brain works and try to apply it in my classroom. Hearing him explain how exercise really, truly does improve and protect brain development is inspiring. I am not sure if my students are so thrilled when I have them doing 5 minute classroom workouts a couple of times a day. They look more like this: :grumble:

The boys are home from their trip to the big city dentist and I must get myself busy planning next week's menus and shopping. The gym opens at noon, I'll be over there for a while too.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Nancy

Susanpv – hope your recovering well from dental surgery. J’boy and DH got home last night, the boy ended up having 4 wisdom teeth removed as well as two eye teeth and prep for braces. Poor dear! He’s eating lots of gellatto, and playing computer games.

Virginia – just looking at your ticker is an inspiration, :flowerforyou: I’m sure you’ll make it down the last few pounds. And you look great in those Bermuda shorts, too!

AHealthierSuz – disappointed at a pound a week? :noway: That would be victory for me. Pat yourself on the back! What’s evoo?

Jb and the Salad sistas – nothing in the house yesterday so bought a grocery store salad for lunch. Chose the plain green salad with grated cheddar cheese on top. Pretty dull compared to our usual concoctions, but better than the ones soaked in dressing and croutons. Orange-chipotle chicken sounds divine, I am going to look up the recipe for tonight.

Genealace – glad to hear you do not drive when you did not have to. We’re having real winter in SE BC too – cold, wind, snow and all. I hear on CBC that it even snowed in Vancouver! Bless their hearts they’ll be having fits and traffic jams. :wink:

Vypeters: Rockin’ to Richard Simmons! :laugh:

Rita – How’s that gym routine? I did a quick stop and a ½ hour on the treadmill Friday after work, it was a rest day from strength training. I suppose I could have a treadmill at home, but I think it’s more fun to go to the gym and see the other folks, even if I don’t socialize much.

Exermom – I didn’t do the dishes while the boys were away, I read magazines and ate in the living room! :drinker:

Mary: supervising detention? That’s pretty intense. The students are lucky to have your support. :flowerforyou:
  • scompton54
    Options
    Good Saturday everyone

Thanks to all who wished me a happy birthday.....58...yeesh

exermom: I got a polar FT4. I have been working out for nearly three years now and I find that my calorie burn is a lot less than MFP figures but that's probably because it takes me more effort to get the heart rate up.

mazaron: nice to see another CBC radio fan on here. It's what I listen to most of the time. If you like radio, you should check out the podcasts for This American Life, another great radio show.

The last couple of days I have tried to catch up on my goal of 360 minutes of exercise a week since I missed a couple of days so I've logged 195 minutes in two days. Tomorrow it looks like the X country ski trip will be a go as they got snow up north....can't wait and that should defintely get me well past my goal and I'll have fun too, and maybe counteract the extra calories from my birthday.

Love reading this message board.

Sarah
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday everyone

Thanks to all who wished me a happy birthday.....58...yeesh

The last couple of days I have tried to catch up on my goal of 360 minutes of exercise a week since I missed a couple of days so I've logged 195 minutes in two days. Tomorrow it looks like the X country ski trip will be a go as they got snow up north....can't wait and that should defintely get me well past my goal and I'll have fun too, and maybe counteract the extra calories from my birthday.

Happy Belated Birthday, Sarah...

I just started exercising again, and I have seen a few posts where the minutes are provided as weekly goals. Congratulations on your mindset and moving forward. Have fun on your country ski trip...brrrr... lol...I love the outdoors and that sounds like exercise AND a winner! Take care, Debbie
  • RobbynLS
    Options
    Hello ladies...just joining here, hope I'm welcome. I am 10 days into this and want to lose 30 lbs so I can book a much needed beach vacation with my husband and wear a pretty bathing suit! Wow do the calories add up fast! whew....
    so nice to see so many to give support.
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Loving that it's Saturday!

Glad to see so many newbies and all of you really getting into that exercise:drinker:

Last night hubby and I met our #2 & #3 sons and families that live here for dinner at Red Robin. #2 DIL is expecting grandchild #3 and has a touchy tummy right now so we go where she thinks she can eat and burgers seem to agree with her, although she still looks a bit green:sick: I was able to have the Turkey Burger wrapped in lettuce and a side salad so was able to stay within my calories:wink: which is always a good thing when you go out.

Yesterday after noon we were out doing our grocery shopping and did a stop at IKEA, that place is HUGE:noway: it was a great way to get my walking in, and then when we came home hubby and I headed to the basement to get our "official" workout in. What I'm finding is that during the work week I really can't get anywhere near 10,000 steps in, as a matter of fact I'm lucky to get in a fourth of that, but know that once warmer weather arrives and we are able to get back outside it will be easier.

Well I'm crusing my light, low cal, low carb cookbooks for some creative cooking this weekend. Everyone have a good day and don't forget to drink your water:drinker: :drinker:

Laura:smile:
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Did you know that 2 hours and 20 minutes of shovelling snow earns 1373 calories. It also puts me well over my goal for minutes and calories earned this week.

The sidewalk plough did a number on all the snow that the big plough had pushed up on to the sidewalk which froze in a flash freeze overnight and as a consequence I ended up with a huge pile of snow about 3ft high and 4ft wide at the bottom of frozen lumps of snow to clear out from the end of my driveway. Good job I didn't have anything urgent to do today. I was going to take the car in to get the emissions test done, but that will now have to wait until Tuesday morning.

Came in, had a bite of lunch and have just spent a leasurely hour in the bath reading.

DBF and I are picking up my GF and we are going out to dinner and then back to her place to watch a video. Have chosen a fish restaurant so I'm hoping that I can get something grilled with a salad. Have lots and lots of calories available but I try not to use my exercise ones - I figure they are the ones that are burning off the fat, so there is no point eating them.

It is extremely cold here about -18 with a wind chill of -28 but the sun is shining and it is absolutely beautiful out.

Enough computer - off to sew a few more squares into the afghan that I've made. It is spread out all over the living room floor at the moment so that I could make sure I didn't get two squares the same colours next to each other.

If you are interested in some of the things I do you can look at my webshots photos at:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/malvaryj/
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    YIKES!!! Genealace...that's COLD:huh: :huh: STAY warm and be careful out there!!!

Welcome, new Ladies! We are happy to have you and look forward to getting to know you better.

Mazaron: Your book sounds interesting. If you can get children today to exercise ANY you are helping them a ton. I am reading, "Younger Next Year for Women". The studies on the effects of exercise are pretty amazing and the LACK of exercise causes some very scary things to our bodies, minds and emotions. I am a former teacher so I applaud you for what you do.

Cathy: How are your headaches? Any luck with any suggested methods of avoiding or treating them?

Good luck on the 17 Day Diet. I am on day 14 of the first cycle and have lost 5 pounds. (almost 4 were from the holidays!) This is great for me since good for me is normally half a pound a week. Sally CC is doing it too and has been longer than me. I'll be curious to hear what you think and how it goes. I do think it is healthy and certainly helps you cut the cravings for sugars and carbs.

I will need this help as I TRY to lose this last 10 pounds. The body starts to fight back about this time often:explode: :explode:

Have a good rest of the weekend, dear ladies:heart: Kackie
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! This is a great group of women!! So encouraging. Have a "MFP food friendly" weekend. It's a long weekend for me in the US.....MLK day on Monday. More challenges for me but I'm up to the task. Monday a.m. is weigh in.

Virginia: You are inspiring!! Good week for you!

Glad I found this group.
  • ldginn
    ldginn Posts: 2
    Options
    Brand new to this and MFP. My husband and I have been on it for 2 weeks. He's lost an impressive 7.3 pounds. I haven't been as lucky. I'm hoping it was being sick and now "women's issues."
  • ldginn
    ldginn Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm new too, and I agree about how quickly the calories add up! But keeping on top of them is the key. Do you have the app for your phone? It's priceless!!!
  • smwert
    smwert Posts: 300
    Options
    Found it!
  • anotheryearolder
    anotheryearolder Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Just a quick post to mark my spot.

I have been watching this little spud <
    in my pic (my GGS) since Friday afternoon. He just got his bath and is in bed. Whew! He's a good baby but dang they keep you busy! His Dad is on they way to pick him up now. It's so nice that I have been able to enjoy the grandkids and now the great grand. We're lucky!:heart:

Now to get dinner going. I think I'll have a big spinach salad with tuna and then curl up with my Kindle and read myself to sleep. That shouldn't take long. :laugh:

Faye
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Snow. :ohwell: Glad we got the Costco trip done before it started coming down. Things are really covered. Ritter is not quite sure what to make of it. Bodi loves it of course. :love:

Hope you are all well. Have a great weekend and gooooo Broncos!
  • westernjoy
    westernjoy Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    So does the sweating to the oldies have a lot of jumping. Looking for something different for exercise.
    Joyce
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Virginia, since I’ve lost weight I’m much colder than everybody else. I wear two long sleeve silk undershirts under a cotton shirt and a fleece shirt, long johns, and wool socks even when I line dance. I have four blankets on my side of the bed. Even so, I can’t say no to the dogs when they want to walk so I’ve been adding new warm clothes to wear for dog walking. I have a ski jacket with a hood, a wool balaclava to keep my face warm, three knitted wool hats, gloves, and boots that are rated to wear to 25 degrees below zero F. and I have “Hotties” hand warmers in my pockets. The lowest temperature so far this winter has been +28 but other years we’ve seen as low as +17.

:flowerforyou: Jaks, thanks for opening your diary…….as you spend more time on MFP and read more about nutrition, you’ll get more ideas about healthy eating for weight loss…… If you’re having trouble getting up to 1200 calories, then add peanut butter or avocados to boost the calorie count. If you’re having trouble because you have too many calories, consider eliminating “empty calories”----creamer, sauces, salad dressing…….most important, take baby steps, don’t try to revolutionize your eating over night. Congrats on your weight loss, you are obviously doing something right

:flowerforyou: Viv, someone told me that you can’t think your way into good living, but you can act your way into good thinking………don’t wait to feel like exercising, just get up and do something (walk or squats while watching TV) and before long you’ll feel more like exercising.

:flowerforyou: Geri, does Charlie like you to take him for long walks?

:flowerforyou: Nancy, I just finished reading “Younger Next Year for Women” and now I’m reading “Strong Women Stay Young”, so I’ve been finding out my own good reasons for exercising.

:flowerforyou: Sarah, cross country skiing sounds awesome

:flowerforyou: Robbyn, welcome…..you’ve come to the right place for support and encouragement……keep coming back….tell us more about yourself….and never, never, never give up

:flowerforyou: Genealace, we don’t get as much snow as you do, but when it does snow, Jake and I are in competition about who gets to use the shovel because we both want to burn the calories.:laugh:

:flowerforyou: Kackie, if you do what they suggest in “Younger Next Year for Women” and eat healthy the way you already do, those next pounds will be gone before you know it…..

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Today is our anniversary
    23 years. We went to lunch at the Vietnamese restaurant that we liked and enjoyed a light snowfall as we drove there. No snow on the ground yet, but there are promises of it for the next few days. The dogs love the snow so they were disappointed that nothing really fell while I was walking them
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    HAPPY 23rd ANNIVERSARY, Barbie:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, barbie....:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: