WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    My goodness..... I wrote the following post and tried to post it and then realised that the thread was already closed!!! So have just found part 2 ..... and its already 5 pages long!! I haven't read them yet but I will just copy and paste and read all the new ones later.... gosh its getting hard to keep up!

Hi everyone.... finally getting through reading all these posts.... soooo many new faces, welcome .... what a wonderful pot pourri of women we have here!!

I had the most wonderful 5 day holiday in Vanuatu.... a brilliant resort.... very very small so it felt like we had it to ourselves all the time. I did eat and drink quite a lot but I balanced it with lots of exercise.... kayaking everyday, snorkelling, swimming ... the pool water was so warm it felt like a bath.... I was even swimming by moonlight after dinner on my own, palm trees swaying in the moonlight with the sound of the waves lapping.... sorry just drifting off there trying to relive!! I have put a couple of photos on my profile for those who want to see. A wonderful girls only holiday.

So now its back to reality... and to finally put the holiday season behind me and get serious about losing weight. I have been logging everyday now since October and have been exercising but really just exercising to balance the indulgent eating.... very very slowly losing weight... and actually fluctuating up and down a bit... the last time I altered my ticker I was having a very low fluctuation... still trying to get back to that but haven't bothered altering it... so when I finally do I know I will be back on track... hopefully next week....

:love: Love the photos of gorgeous dogs!

:flowerforyou: Feel so much for those of you with big struggles in their lives.... so glad you are able to share your stories here.... it is very humbling to read and it certainly puts life into perspective and makes me thankful for all I have.... big hugs to all of you!

I love being on this journey with all of you... lets have a great week... lets get up and move and make some good food choices!:happy:

Take care, Lisa:heart:
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Doing well on my 30 day Sugar Challenge...I am on Day 26, and feel great!! Did an hour of ZUMBA yesterday, and feeling the muscles I haven't used for a while, saying hi to me...Today, Sunday, I will go shopping for groceries, but on my way, will stop for a 30 minute eliptical challenge. I know I will be tired...My legs are pretty weak...but use them or ....

13985887.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Take care,
    Debbie
  • cathys01
    cathys01 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hi Ladies:

Hope you all had a great weekend. I was down with a miserable migraine again yesterday but I am okay today.

Barbie - Belated Happy Anniversary :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Michele - I learn so much from you - what is a snickerdoodle :noway:

Amanda - I hope you can solve the dilema of the rings. I think genealace has a good idea with the insert that can be inserted into rings to re-size them, you would never want to lose them, so you had better do something and soon, with the amount of weight you have lost :smile:

Virginia - I saw that you posted a caloric burn amount for doing the Sweating with the Oldies dvd/tape. Where did you get that info from? I did the tape today and just counted it as dancing, aerobic because I didn't know where else to put it :smile:

Well, I am going to try the 17 Day Diet starting tomorrow, so hopefully I can get the scales moving again :laugh:

Take care, Everyone, and talk to you again soon.

Love, Cathy xx
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    A baby shower yesterday and today spending with my 3 yr old grandson so lunch wasn't chicken like my daughter and I wanted. He won, we had pizza and crazy bread for lunch Guess today is a cheat day will try to be good for dinner. He is the boss :)

Love your profile pic...glad you are spending quality time with your grandson. Mine is sick, so haven't been invited to visit. My daughter gets concerned that the baby will give me a cold. She is definitely thoughtful...want to be become strong with high immunity...so I can care for my grandchild ANYTIME! Take care! Debbie

13985887.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Virginia - I saw that you posted a caloric burn amount for doing the Sweating with the Oldies dvd/tape. Where did you get that info from? I did the tape today and just counted it as dancing, aerobic because I didn't know where else to put it :smile:

Cathy, before I answer I need to be clear that I don't eat back my "calories burned" so I work comfortably with very rough estimates. If I did eat them back, I would probably get a heart rate monitor or some other measure to be absolutely sure they were accurate.

That said, below is an article from Livestrong estimating that someone 185 lbs moving at a fast clip (and more importantly full intensity) can burn 622 an hour. I estimated that I burn about 450 doing the routine (I do go all out, but the whole thing is not fast paced). Then I do energetic toning to burn another 75. I just lumped the calories for easy logging.

Who knows, exactly. But do remember that I will burn more calories than you at the same activity due to my heavier weight.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/551119-calories-burned-during-sweating-to-the-oldies/

Virginia
  • vypeters
    Options
    Hey ladies, can I experiment on you with my photo posting? If this works, here are my before and about 15 lbs ago pictures. Drum roll please.

beforesmaller.jpg7andahalfmonths.jpg

Woohoo! Success!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Outstanding results Vy. You look great.

The only thing I like about all this snow I got is that it makes it easier to find my little piece of chocolate when he is outside running around learning how to go potty outside. He and Bodi are becoming such good friends. I have some more awesome pictures I am going to have to download.

Have a great day.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Vy- awesome job!!
    Cathy sorry about the migraines.Any new ideas ?
    Welcome all newbies.this group is awesome.
    Stayed in except for church and caught up with laundry.
    Have a good night all.
    HUGS
    jane
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Virginia: WOW...awesome photos. You look like a MUCH younger version of your former self. You have done SOOOOOOOOO well and are a great inspiration to everyone here:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Robin: LOVE to hear the puppy stories. Keep us posted and please post some photos when you can.

Everyone have a great day:-) :-):heart: :heart: Kackie
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    virginia..congrats, what an accomplishment...you are a wonderful inspiration.....thanks for posint the pic:flowerforyou:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Puppy pix!!
    sleeping2-1.jpg
    Ritterface2.jpg
    sleepingchair2-1.jpg
    Mine2.jpg
    Broface2.jpg

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
  • vypeters
    Options
    Awwwwwwww!!! They are adorable!!!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    KJL- We're glad you found part 2, too.

Amanda - I hear ya about how special certain rings are. I have my mother's wedding and engagement rings. You know, my father bought his second wife a much larger ring (bigger stone) but when I took both rings to the jeweler, my mother's ring is a better stone. Wish I had the problem of the weight continuing to fall off me! I seem to remember that a ring I once had (not my wedding ring) had this strip of metal that went across the ring (I hope I'm not confusing you) so that my finger wouldn't go down to the very edge of the ring (I'm confusing you, I know). I just don't remember how sturdy this was. Maybe ask a jewler about it. This way you wouldn't be cutting the ring down yet you'd still be able to wear it. The thing that genalace is talking about, that's the thing I mean

Welcome l8dtazz! so glad to have you with us. You'll find everyone here really helpful and supportive.

Virginia - I love spaghetti squash, too. Add a bit of tomato sauce and some italian seasoning, I actually prefer it to regular spaghetti. I also like the Shirataki tofu noodles instead of spaghetti. I read that (and this I didn't know) it is preferrable to choose organic winter squash. That surprised me, since winter squash has such a thick skin and you don't eat the skin. Here's what George Mateljian has to say: <HTML><META HTTP-EQUIV="content-type" CONTENT="text/html;charset=utf-8">
    Winter squash is a vegetable that might be especially important for us
    to<BR>purchase organic. Recent agricultural trials have shown that winter squash
    can<BR>be an effective intercrop for use in remediation of contaminated
    soils.<BR>Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), including pyrene,
    fluoranthene,<BR>chrysene, benzo(a)anthracene and benzo(a)pyrene are unwanted
    contaminants. PAHs<BR>are among the contaminants that can be effectively pulled
    up out of the soil by<BR>winter squash plants. When winter squash is planted as
    a food crop (as opposed<BR>to a non-food crop that is being planted between food
    crop seasons to help<BR>improve soil quality), the farmer's goal is definitely
    not to transfer soil<BR>contaminants like PAHs up into the food. But some of
    that transfer seems likely<BR>to happen, given the effectiveness of winter
    squash in mobilizing contaminants<BR>like PAHs from the soil. For this reason,
    you may want to make a special point<BR>of purchasing certified organic winter
    squash. Soils used for the growing of in<BR>certified organic foods are far less
    likely to contain undesirable levels of<BR>contaminants like PAHs

Mazaron - our cats like to attack feet, too. Especially when they are under the covers and moving.

Did an hour of hula hoop on the Wii today. Tomorrow I'll take the extremepump class.

Lisa - sounds like a heavely vacation you had. I'm jealous!

Debbie - I usually find that the best time to go food shopping is after exercising. Hope you hit the elliptical first like you planned.

Cathy - a snickerdoodle is a cookie. It has a cinnamon/sugar coating. they're good (and not low in calories, unfortunately)

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    Virginia - WOW is all I can say! What inspiring photos, thanks for posting them.

Michele
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Holy moly Michelle, all of that info about winter squash -- sheesh, it's just such a sad situation. Pollutants in the soil and all....I grow my own organic gardens so I don't have to worry, but it's just a crying shame, the whole thing. It just makes me sick what's happening in the world of food. I agree, shop organic, and make good use of every last bit of the foods. We enjoyed our homegrown butternut tonight that's been stored in the garage... such a wonderful taste and texture. Soup with the leftovers tomorrow! I'm so fortunate to be able to grow a good majority of my own vegs. It's definitly hard work (and constant!), but oh, so worth it. :smile:

Virginia, Wowser! Just amazing. You're an inspiration and boy howdy, you look marvelous!

Love the puppy pics Robin, awww!

Salad Sistas start rockin' out again tomorrow. Let's drop a pound and get those potassium levels up this week! :wink:

:^) jb
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,983 Member
    Options
    t.gifh.gifa.gifn.gifk.gifempty.gify.gifo.gifu.gif

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Thank you everyone for the happy anniversary wishes.

:flowerforyou: We had a great anniversary with good food and good times together.

:flowerforyou: Today was another great day that started with walking the dogs while it snowed lightly……there was enough snow on the ground and the temperature was low enough for me to consider that it might be icy so I mostly walked on the rocks along the edge of the road instead of the road itself and as soon as it got light we headed into the grassy areas. I got the idea of making beef stew, so after yoga I went to the store to get the ingredients (round steak and tons of fresh vegetables). Jake got the idea of inviting his meditation teacher to dinner so we had company for the first time in a long time. In honor of company, I made dessert
    raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and peaches.

:flowerforyou: Virginia, you look awesome and much younger…..what an inspiration for all of us.

:flowerforyou: Robin, the pictures are so wonderful. Your dogs are becoming “best buds”.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

January goals:
    *keep walking the dogs for an hour or more every morning no matter how cold, wet, or snowy.
    * do yoga three days a week
    *100 squats a day

[img][/img]194904olsgis3xqe.gif
    "The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

"The temptation to quit will be greatest just before you are about to succeed."
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Whew! Glad last week is over! I didn't do well with my food logging -- or eating -- or exercising -- or anything else! But ready to start fresh tomorrow. We'll see how much damage was done :grumble:
  • yellowrose5321
    yellowrose5321 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I've noticed several of you have posted pics in your posts. I tried to, using methods that I've used on other message boards, but didn't have any luck. Would someone mind explaining how you get the pics in there?

Also, is it possible to make a signature that will show up every time you post -- or is the ticker the only thing that will do that?

Thanks!
    Linda
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    The MFP people have changed signatures so that only the ticker shows up. Which is unfortunate, IMO.
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    @robin love the pic of bodi and ritter, we have two jack and love them so....

@michele, thanks for the info on the winter squash, one of my sons will only buy organic,

i am a bit frustrated....i weigh in on friday and had a 1lb loss......today i am at my same weight as i started.....i have a sweet every night, but i account for it in calories, i have been doing the olivia method and it seem to have been working i was not as hungry this past week...i really am confused, this week the calories burned were 3600HRM and i did over 9 hours...i just dont get it.....i think it was virginia that mentioned that shed has a snack but its of the protein kind.....i am with michele and the cholocate doves kind of girli!!!!!!enough of the rant, i should be happy that i am not gaining!!!!have a beautiful day all:flowerforyou:

PS...i am considering opening up my diary, but i do write notes and personal stuff, so i dont know if i will,...thanks for listening