WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2012

Options

Replies

• rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    I've noticed several of you have posted pics in your posts. I tried to, using methods that I've used on other message boards, but didn't have any luck. Would someone mind explaining how you get the pics in there?

Also, is it possible to make a signature that will show up every time you post -- or is the ticker the only thing that will do that?

Thanks!
    Linda

I use photo bucket and then use the code that has {IMG} at the beginning and end. then you have to change the IMG to img. I fyou want to see what they look like just go to a post with a picture and use the quote button. You will see all the code.
  • LHubb54
    LHubb54 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey - can I join ? looking for some online weightloss buddies - I'm 53 - looking to lose at least 25 lbs. Usually the weekends are my downfall.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Good morning guys, uh, gals. Continuing with Salad Sistas this week so get stocked up and be creative. It's a really good idea to spend a few minutes and chop up a whole bunch of vegs ahead of time so you can just toss them on top of your salad. They'll stay fresh in a zip lock for several days. I really like the bags of broccoli slaw that you can buy at the store - thin, crispy strips of broc, carrot and cabbage, super easy to just toss on top of the greens. Dressings are an issue for me this week. I always love my own olive oil/vinegar but need something different. The Kraft lite raspberry vinaigrette needs some doctoring. To me it tastes more like mustard than it does raspberries. I think I'll try adding orange zest and balsamic vinegar. I could add some raspberries from the freezer. Truth be known, I wouldn't mind buying some hefty bleu cheese dressing for a change but I'm skeered of the calories. I suppose I could cut back somewhere else to allow for it, duh.

Oh wait, just found this recipe on sparkpeople.com, I'm gonna have to try it!

Low fat Blue cheese dressing
    2 Tablespoons = 33 calories -- 1.4 fat, 1.9 protein
    1 cup fat free sour cream, 1 cup lowfat buttermilk, 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles, 3 cloves of minced garlic, salt to taste. Recipe called for 1 tsp salt but I'll use less.

I'm hungry.
    Happy Monday everyone
    :^) jb
  • karenlesley47
    karenlesley47 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Into my 2nd week here at MFP really pleased to have found you all :happy:
    My daughter & I joined the local gym yesterday & my scales officially say I'm 3lbs lighter so my first half stone target by 10th Feb (first wedding dress fitting :happy: ) is looking pretty good.
    Looking forward to being part of the group & getting to know you all :flowerforyou:
    Karen

weezee45...happy to be a buddy add me if you like, find weekends more difficult than week days myself.
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    weezee45 you've joined. Now come back often and tell us about yourself. This is a great place to come and there is a lot of information flying around.

Very cold again here this morning, but I hear on the weather report that it is going up to perhaps a + temperature tomorrow. Can't say I'm sorry because we had a wind chill here this morning of -34c.

Furnace is still playing up, engineer should be here late morning. I turned it up high and once it reached that temperature I turned the thermostat down. When it comes on next time, I'll turn the thermostat up again and keep it running for a while. Seems to be ok while it is running, but has a problem to actually get from thinking about turning on when you can hear the motor growling before it actually kicks in, then there is a strong smell.

Obviously no aquafit this morning and I hope that they are finished in time for me to go to Spanish class this afternoon. If not, the furnace is more important.

I'm down 1.8lbs this week. So I'm very pleased about that because I've been working at it. Need to call for an engineer to fix the treadmill, but I think I'll see how much the furnace is first.
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Jb_2011 & Salad Sistas – I too prep a pile of veggies on the weekend and have things sliced and ready to use for the week. Yesterday I discovered:

Cauliflower Hummus: Toss 4 cups of cauliflower florets with olive oil and 1 tsp curry powder, roast at 425 for 20 minutes. Puree with 1 can drained chickpeas, 3 T lemon juice, 2 T tahini, 1 garlic clove, 2 T olive oil, salt to taste.

It’s an interesting alternative to regular hummus, and could be used as a salad topping too. DH probably won’t like it as much as regular hummus so I made a big batch of the bean & garlic kind for him.

I have an unexpected day of work because I am staying home to take care of J’boy’s recovery from having 4 wisdom teeth and his eyeteeth pulled. I am going to grind some flour and make a big batch of muffin mix. I keep the dry ingredients in a bin and add the eggs & oil to make batches of 6 at a time for his school lunches and after school snacks. He’s a 14 year old boy so six muffins don’t last long! :wink:

It’s cold, grey and dreary outside today, just a little streak of sunlight across the mountains to the south. :indifferent:

Dilemma: :frown: I am not at school today because I’m taking care of J. Can I go to the gym this afternoon? If people who missed me at school see me out and about they might think I’m faking sick & skipping school. On the other hand, whose business is it anyway? Oh dear. Stay tuned for further developments.
  • sissygok
    sissygok Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Today is the day I officially get back in the MFP groove but was oh so happy to have lost 3 pounds this week just being a little more aware of what I was eating:drinker: , also could be that we were just about out of holiday goodies in the house so there were more healthy low calorie choices than before. Tomorrow is our gym start up day, I am so not looking forward to the aches and pains of getting back into it. :grumble: I am lowering my weight goal about 5 pounds at a time..I'll be 70 in May and will just play it by ear as I lose, I don't want to start looking like a shriveled up old lady, albeit a thin and fit one but appearance will also play into what my goal weight ends up. Right now I am only 1 pound heavier than I was when we left on our cruise in October, and that really makes me happy.

Oh, my Vy, what an difference in you and I don't mean just in weight, you look younger, more vibrant and so much happier in your after picture. Very inspirational indeed.

A belated happy anniversary Barbie, glad you had a wonderful day. :heart: :heart:

Tiarapants, I always wondered where you screen name came from, I was intrigued to learn you had worked with tiaras, how interesting. I always wanted to wear a tiara, guess it's too late for me now, LOL, although the Queen still pulls it off!:laugh:

Hope this week is a good one for everyone, I am determined and my goals for the week are to finish cleaning my clothes closet, start back at the gym, track each and every bit of food I eat and do a healthy only foods grocerie shopping this week.
    xoSissy:heart:
  • scompton54
    Options
    Yesterday was a great day for cross country but man, do my legs get tired. My skis are about twenty years old and I am debating whether I should buy some newer ones as they now make them shorter and a little wider. I may just rent some the next time I go to see if it makes a difference. I did burn almost 1200 calories though, according to my HRM. Lost 2 pounds this week!

Picked up tow of my kids from the airport last night...they were in Cuba last week and they are planning on cooking me a cuban feast tonight as a belated birthday dinner. I'll have to do a hard work out at the gym this afternoon to earn some calories so I can full out enjoy it.

mazaron: I love roasted cauliflower just on its own or I'll roast it with onions, garlic and/or fresh ginger and red peppers, sometimes some squash, potato or sweet potato. If you use different herbs and spice mixtures like mediterranean blends or garam masala and curry powders you get a whole different taste and I tend to make a big batch because I like it cold as well as hot.

mukamom: the 3 am wake up is the worst!!

Pam3: I find my weight can vary up to two pounds difference between one day and the next which is why I try to resist the urge to weight myself more than once a week.

Vy: Very inspiring.

Have a good week all

Sarah
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Tis Monday and working on the Happy part!

Hope all had a good weekend.

Barbie - Happy Belated Anniversary:flowerforyou:

Mukamon - GREAT quote:laugh:

smwert and yellowrose - Hang In There the scale will move the longer your work on it:flowerforyou: Don't be discouraged we have all been there at some point.

Virginia - WOW:noway: I agree with the other's you do look younger!

18dtazz and all the other newbies - Just by posting you have joined....will look forward to getting to know you all:drinker:

genalace - is your picture something that you tated?

Amanda - it's a good problem to have those rings being too big...but if you get one that is the correct size it may help keep those on or getting the spacer that other's have mentioned.

Robin, AHHH those doggie pics are sooo cute:happy:

This weekend I was up and down on the good and the not so good. Came away not feeling like it was great but better than last month. I did spend a lot of time in the kitchen doing some receipe testing and I really do like how my Six week muffins came out at only 76 cal each with low sugar, low sodium (I posted the recipe here at MFP) Finding a Raisin Bran Cereal was the challenge, wanting to make sure that sugar was not in the first three ingredients.

Friday was my first time ever of going over 10,000 steps with my pedometer, nothing like a walk through IKEA.

Everyone have a good day. :drinker: :drinker: Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: and get off the couch and do something:wink:

Laura:smile:
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    wonderful job! You are such an inspiration to us all. You must feel great.....you look fabulous!!
  • determinedinAZ
    determinedinAZ Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    jb - thanks for the blue cheese dressing recipe!! I'm gonna try it.:drinker:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Hope everyone had a great weekend. We just finished lunch so thought I'd pop on here for a few. I am on day 8 of a 10 day detox. I don't think I could EVER be a full-time vegetarian! I've made beans and veggie stir fries every way you can think of! I plan to continue "clean eating" as I add back in meat, whole grains and dairy in the coming days. Still getting used to a chemical and additive free lifestyle but I have SO MUCH more energy already its worth all the extra label reading and cooking.

Hubby says he feels like he lives with a little Italian Moma these days because as soon as i get breakfast out of the way I am sauteing onions and garlic to season a pot of beans for later. So that s the smell he's been walking out the door to each morning. I haven't made pasta, but guess that's the smell he equates with Italian food... I must say eating beans every day has sure made it easy to get in my 24-30 grams of fiber.

btw, I've discovered I like plain Greek yogurt in my berry smoothies. Who knew!

I'm still not being very active in the exercise department but will phase that back in when I start eating meat and eggs again. It feels so good not to be tired all the time. :happy:
  • Benji49
    Benji49 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I found you.....marking my spot for later. I have 7 pages to catch up on!

I've not been posting/tracking very well - we said goodbye to Tawny Thursday and I just haven't felt much like doing anything. But she is no longer in pain and I've donated her food and beds to the local shelter so she has contributed to a new life for another rescued pet.:bigsmile:

Bea
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I found you.....marking my spot for later. I have 7 pages to catch up on!

I've not been posting/tracking very well - we said goodbye to Tawny Thursday and I just haven't felt much like doing anything. But she is no longer in pain and I've donated her food and beds to the local shelter so she has contributed to a new life for another rescued pet.:bigsmile:

Bea

sorry bea.....good of you to donate her things for another rescued pet...hugs
  • shmogo9
    shmogo9 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    (¯`*•.¸♥♫ Congratulations Vy - WoW♫♥¸.•*´¯)

you're such an inspiration to us all - you look amazing!

_____/)___/)______./¯"""/')
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯\)¯¯\)¯¯¯'\_„„„,\)

BethB
  • genealace
    genealace Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Yippee, the furnace is fixed! It was only about $130 too, so that wasn't bad.

Now one student is coming to pick me up and we are going to visit my student who had a stroke 10 days ago. Just waiting for her to call to say she is on her way.

Risk of freezing rain overnight and then snow and freezing rain forecast for tomorrow. Have to take DBF in to the hospital for him to get his knee replacement surgery done and I must get into the garage to get my car emission test done.

OK - I'm off to the hospital

By the way - my picture is a piece of Rosaline bobbin lace that I made at a class last year. It is just about the size of the picture!
  • 1960lisa
    1960lisa Posts: 193
    Options
    Mukamum - I love that quote.... it is all so true... we are a pretty cool bunch us 50+ gals!!

Smwert - I too know how you feel.... my weight loss is sooo incredibly slow... but think of all the good things you are doing... I certainly feel healthier and I know I am much fitter than I was 4 months ago.... I try not to think of it in terms of denying myself like a normal diet... I am just changing the way I live.... and they say the slower it goes off the more likely it will be to stay off... don't give up!

genealace - weighing every ingredient and then working out portions is such a good idea.... I usually just estimate but I am sure it is very inaccurate.... I might take your lead and try to do this more often as well. Congrats on the good loss.

vypeters - wow.... congratulations, you are an inspiration and you look fabulous!! I've never heard of spaghetti squash... not sure if we have it here... i must look into it as it sounds great.

topaz2986 - hope you are feeling better Rita.... love all these dogs with chocolate names!!

cathy01 - sorry you have had a migraine.... I used to get them but thankfully haven't had one for a few years... I used to have my vision go first and then the cracker of a headache later..... so debilitating!

rjadams - Robin I am in love with your dogs!! We are just contemplating whether to get a puppy (our old dog died 6 months ago) ...we are on a waiting list for a puppy lakeland terrier which is due to be born any time now... but we might decide to just get a rescue dog instead.... but there is something about a puppy isn't there.... it is so lovely to see your older dog with the puppy... just gorgeous!

jb_2011 - can you enlighten me as to what salad sistas is... not sure if I must have missed something somewhere.... I love salads and love seeing your recipes.... do you do a swap thing or is it a challenge??

Barbie - so glad you had a nice anniversary .... its good to take the time to appreciate what you have... congratulations!

yellowrose532 - we all have weeks like that.... but you're still here... so you are still on track as far as I'm concerned... its a lifestyle thing... not a diet.

pam3 - its weird and frustrating how sometimes it feels like you have done everything right and yet it doesn't show up on the scales... and then other times when you don't expect it you get a nice surprise... very frustrating.... not sure if you are like me and weigh yourself everyday... but I am thinking I should try to be like some others who only weigh once a month... not sure if I have the self control to not weigh though!

mazaron - did you go to the gym? I think I would have.... no maybe I would like to think I would have ...but in fact I am a bit of a chicken and avoid confrontation at all costs so I probably would have stayed home!

sissygok - I'm with you... this is my first week back into it... holidays over... I do have some people for dinner tonight but its going to be a healthy dinner and I'll only have a small portion... lets do it! Still haven't had time to get back to the gym though.... that's tomorrow! Good luck!

Ok.... this is a massive post, sorry.... just trying to get back into the loop and make some replies..... and now the server is doing something funny and I can't see the last page.... so I'll just finish up here for now.... I am really going to try and check in every day... otherwise there are too many posts to catch up and I feel completely overwhelmed

Lisa:heart:
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    Just made my first ever recipe using quinoa by adapting my favorite taco soup recipe. So far it smells yummy :wink:
  • bkrbabe57
    bkrbabe57 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    marking my spot so I can read posts and catch up with you all. I have been AWOL for a couple of months and I need to connect again and get back on track.
    I have had 3 very close friends diagnosed with serious illnesses and I have been helping where I can.
    Please help me climb back on the wagon.
    Peggy
  • Pam3
    Pam3 Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Just made my first ever recipe using quinoa by adapting my favorite taco soup recipe. So far it smells yummy :wink:

i am also loving the quinoa,...the other day i made some and had run out of the veggie broth, so i put an onion mix in the water ...the results were very yummy.....enjoy:flowerforyou: