40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thought I better join a group of like minded souls... turning the big 5 - 0 this year in November, want to drop to a weight I haven't been for 25 years ...
    Living in Perth, Western Australia working overseas on a 28/28 rotation so food is always a struggle as living in a camp while on month of work.
    Got to 118kg (260 lbs) in September 2009 and decided enough was enough and started taking a bit more care of myself, dropped to 97kg (214lbs) in November 2012 for a holiday in the UK to see my family. Used MFP and mostly cardio to drop this, but eased on the exercise as my work changed location and gradually crept up to 106kg, Then after starting a new job and being in Abu Dhabi for 6 weeks came home to find I had gained 6kg (13lbs) and was over 112 kgs for the first time in almost 4 years.
    So after the purchase of a Fitbit and renewed attention to exercise and food tracking I hopefully can get back to where I was before and hopefully down to 90kgs(198lbs). I'm 6'1" tall.
    I weighed myself before I left home on the 4th January and was 107.9kg, and have not been able to weigh myself since, but have exceeded my 10,000 steps almost everyday, and added a minimum of 20 mins cardio everyday on the stationery bike. Controlling what I eat as best as I can, but difficult when I can't cook for myself and not always sure as to what is put before me but with a distinct lack of fresh vegies available, it's not a perfect diet.
    So my next weigh in will be on the 6th February after I get home and hopefully the scales will see a drop, as an indicator I tried on the shirt I traveled in and it felt roomier than when I last wore it.
    Well there it is if a little long!.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,998 Member
    Options
    WhataBroad ~ I can't wait to see your PICTURE!!!!!!!! BOOM!

handyandy - plop a .jpg into your avatar....it's too BIZARRE to chat with a SHADOW!
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There, put my picture up now so no longer a ghost!!:tongue:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! I did not want to get up this morning. Below zero temps here, but I pulled myself out of my nice warm bed and did my workout which got me warmed up for sure!!! Quiet otherwise as Jake has a cold and Mommy stayed home with him today. I think I am going to pop over on my lunch break and see them. :flowerforyou:

Have a good day all!
  • WhataBroad
    WhataBroad Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    handyandy - welcome! activity is always great for cardiovascular health, but you can't out exercise a bad diet! =)

KellySue - good for you to get up and get it done!

I managed to make it to 2pm yesterday (18 hrs) before breaking my fast, lol. I quieted my tummy with a big glass of cold water each time it rumbled at me but really, I didn't feel all that hungry. I have flushed out 2lbs of water retension thus far, only 3 togo!! =P

Was up this morning and got my cardio in, 20 minute jump rope session and after work will be glutes & abs.

Have a fanatstic day everyone!!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I managed to make it to 2pm yesterday (18 hrs) before breaking my fast, lol. I quieted my tummy with a big glass of cold water each time it rumbled at me but really, I didn't feel all that hungry. I have flushed out 2lbs of water retension thus far, only 3 togo!! =P

AWESOME!!

Kelly-Sue - have fun with grandbaby...

Included in my 1,337 calorie Tuesday is my "date-night" out with hubby where I am ingesting THIS --->>>

1 x light rum + diet coke, tall, no ice, with a wedge of lime

PLUS

Caesar appetizer (dressing on the side and NO croutons)

Chilled “Little Gem” romaine, crispy pancetta,
    parmigiano reggiano, radish, EVOO toasted croutons,
    mascarpone black garlic dressing

PLUS

Branzino Entree (NO potatoes ~ hopefully they'll double the veggie!)

Pan seared European sea bass, confit garlic, baby tomatoes,
    fennel, charred citrus, EVOO, roasted Yukon Gold potatoes

YUMMY, HUH?!?!?!?!?!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Wow Beeps, that is quite a feast!!! Yum!!!

whatabroad, how do you know is lbs from water retention? Just curious. I have done 18 hr fasts before, not easy. :noway:

Welcome handyandy!!! :drinker: What kinds of foods are available were you are at? No veggies? Fruit?

KellySue, you gotta love those grandbabies huh? I enjoy my granddaughter so much!! She is so silly! How old is your grandson?

I had a very busy day at work today. The highlight was one of our Veterans with PTSD adopted a dog from the Humane Society as part of a study we are doing. I was there through the whole process. It was nice to witness. :smooched: I did my workouts in the morning. I had all my meals planned and packed but was derailed when our boss invited us to a Thai restaurant for a work lunch. And we could only order from a lunch menu :grumble: :noway: I had chicken with ginger and some of the rice and soup. Oh well...I couldn't just sit there and watch them eat and he was paying...

Sdereski, we miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:flowerforyou:
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Beeps- Dinner sounds amazing!!

Alf- My grandson just turned 1yr right before Christmas- when I went over yesterday he was sharing his cheese puffs with the dog and bringing me his cars since we always play cars at my house! Too cute!

I am feeling a bit sore/stiff today. I'm thinking it's the cold- the news channel said it was -11, but when I got in my car it said -20 (that's farenheit) I decided to take today as a rest day, but am still going to make an effort to get some walking in somewhere, even if it's going up and down the stairs a dozen times or more! Maybe it will help to keep me warm! LOL!

Have a good day!
  • WhataBroad
    Options
    Beeps - omg, that sounds like an amazing dinner and I hope you enjoyed it thoroughly!! What movie did you see?

alf - I know it's water because of my carbed up weekend! and logic... no one can gain 5lbs of fat in 3 days! =P 18 hr was actually not that much of a stretch from my usual 16. Pets can provide so much love and companionship, must of touched your heart to see it. Of course you had to eat out... your boss was paying!! Those days will happen but the key is to not let them happen too often, which I know you don't. =)

I just couldn't drag myself out of bed this morning. I think it's still the effects of my weekend, we just need more days to recover than we used too!! Today just may end up as a rest day for me as well but it is bright and sunny so maybe just a walk. I am also going to see if I can stretch out my fast today until dinner time... how do you do it Beeps?
  • WhataBroad
    Options
    lol, sorry, they are huge. Have to resize from home pc =)
    IMG_1859_zps4i8ce95g.jpgIMG_1836_zps3xnr9zcf.jpg
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Whatabroad- Love, Love, Love the dress. You look great!!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    In at 43. I feel stronger than I ever have, but after gaining 20 pounds back I have realized that this is a battle I will wage forever. I put running on hold until spring and am back to lifting weights, spinning, interval training, and Zumba. All this exercise has done amazing things to my shape, but I need to cut back on my eating again. Reading this thread is just what I need to motivate me.
  • alf1163
    Options
    Whatabroad - FIU FIU Sexy mama!!!! You look great!!! Love the dress!

kpedersen, welcome!!!! What I have found out after turning 40 is that our diet is 80% of the equation. Yep, to me, that high. Of course exercise is very important especially weight training. Glad to hear you enjoy Zumba. I am a Zumba Instructor. :flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    You look great, WhataBroad!! Nicely done!

Didn't get a work-out today....kind of figured that might happen with my schedule. Hoping to squish in a work-out tomorrow and then have to FOR SURE do one on Friday. That'll make 3 for the week and that's GOOD ENOUGH for "NO EXCUSES"!
  • cajungirltx
    cajungirltx Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    bump to keep up with this group.
  • WhataBroad
    Options
    thanks everyone :flowerforyou: every pic I was in, I was laughing so I just went for the one that you could see best.

and I made it to 3pm, 19 hours... now it's a challenge to make it 20 hrs tomorrow!! lol
  • alf1163
    Options
    For whatabroad and Beeps, when you fast for 18-20hrs and then eat, you eat all your allotted calories correct? When I was doing 16:8 I would eat 1600 cals in 8 hrs but that was hard. I was full all the time. Some people in the IF group would eat over 2000 cals in 4 hrs, doing 20:4. I don't know how they did that!!!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    Alf1163 I love zumba the most. Keeps me honest. If there's too much jiggle in my wiggle, the mirrors reflect it and I go home with renewed resolve.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Alf, for me, when I do any fast that is LONGER than my daily 16 hour fasts, NO, I do NOT eat "all my calories". Likely, I am BANKING those calories for a function later in the week.

Or, to look at it another way, I work with a weekly "bank" of calories. 9,450. On a "daily" basis, that is 1,350 calories. BUT, if I know I have a restaurant function out, for example, on a Friday, and I know, for Friday, I'm going to ingest 1,800 calories, then I might fast, for longer than 16 hours, earlier in the week (say Tuesday), and, come end-of-day Tuesday, I'll only have eaten 900 calories, given me a "banked" 450 calories, that can be used on my Friday event-night.

I hope this makes sense!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Happy Thursday Cool Kids! Yesterday was a rough day for me. I don't really know why, just wasn't my best day- PMS or something. :frown:

I am hoping today will be better, although it started off with a very long meeting this morning- ugh! I did work out when I got up today and have decided to take tomorrow off from work. I think I might end up having Jake at the house tomorrow. He still has a bit of a cold and tomorrow is his usual day for the sitter, but she won't take him when he is sick. So probably a home workout tomorrow as well.

Have a good one!