40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• MatthewNSW
    Options
    42 years old. In Australia, trying to go for lunchtime runs without suffering heatstroke. What's this 'snow' thing people are talking about? :tongue:
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday! Back at work today. Got in an aerobics session before hand. I will be at the gym tomorrow without fail!! I am already getting my husband in the mode to go as well. (I need to start talking about it so that he will not be in total shock when I tell him he has to get up at 5:30 tomorrow!! LOL!)

Welcome to the new people!! :flowerforyou:
  • threshkreen
    threshkreen Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Today is my cardio day. Wow, but it is hard going out to the gym when I get home from work with all this cold, gross weather.

I saw my trainer last night and it seems he is either telling me I am eating too little or too much. I keep telling him that getting nagged about my diet (by another trainer) is what drove me into an obsession with calories, logging, forbidden foods lists and eventually a weight loss I could not sustain with the way I was eating. I have learned...eat to lose the way you will the rest of your life. Obviously, quantity varies, but don't expect to go "off" your diet and start eating the old way. Take it from me, it doesn't work.

Beeps2011 - fasting and lifting seems to me to be counter productive to building muscles. how do you have the energy?

KellySue67 - you are lucky getting your husband to go to the gym. Mine refuses...he is an outdoor person and likes getting his exercise outside. Me, not so much...hate bugs. I love it when my son is home from school because he and I go together and really have a great time.. I learn more about his life when we are in the gym together than when we are at home! I also think it is great you are able to get up early and go to the gym. I've always wanted to do that, but mornings are tough for me. It is all I can do to get to work on time!
  • KellySue67
    Options
    threshkreen~ My husband hasn't been to the gym in a long, long time! He is disabled and will be going back for the first time tomorrow. We probably will be doing differnt things since we are on way different fitness levels. He needs to be able to use the pool because he has severe arthritis and joint problems. I like my weights and cardio machines, but just the fact that he is going to go is wonderful for us both!! As far as getting up in the moring to go, I really have to do it this way. I don't get out of work until 6:00pm and it is just too late to go then and still have to worry about having dinner and all. My thinking is that if I want to be healthy and fit bad enough, I will do what I can to get there!!!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,996 Member
    Options
    KellySue, I'm very happy to read that your husband is going to the gym!! I think it makes working out way easier if your partner is a part of that lifestyle choice! Doesn't matter that you are doing different exercises, etc....doesn't even matter if you go at separate times (I know LOTS of families where mom stays home with kids so Dad can work out and then Dad repays the favour so Mom can work out!)....it's just nice to have a family that is dedicated to fitness/nutrition!

BOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    threshkreen - I don't find fasted work-outs tough, at all! I used to believe, much like you have suggested, that I couldn't make it through ANY work-out without FIRST making sure my body had "enough energy". But, as I started trying "fasted" work-outs - first on the cardio side and then on the strength side, I just never went back....for me, it is no problem at all!

I do drink TONS of water, though, everyday and all day long and I'm wondering if my perfect-hydration levels have something to do with the fact I can work-out, in my 16th fasting hour - which I do every M/W/F, without any negative effects.

I am not hungry, at ALL before I work-out and during my work-out....but I am thirsty and I do drink a LOT of water.

Usually, after my work-out, I down a 150 cal, 32 g of protein, protein shake....but, because I'm aiming for bodyfat loss just now, I'm even gonna nix the shake to see if that helps my scale weight go DOWN. Dunno - I'm just one experiment after another!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I treated myself this week bought some new running shoes and new work out clothes and I am lovin it! I ran over 4 miles on Monday night (that is what I used to run when I was in my 30's on a daily basis). I am feeling great and really fitting in the groove of good eating and staying within my calorie goals and consistient workouts. The morning thing was not working so I readjusted and just make sure I get it done sometime throughout the day. Props to you morning workout people :drinker: I wish I could do but I just did not feel excited about it :explode:

Threshkreen - hang in there and do what works for you. The long term is what we are going for and you sound like you have been up and down this road before so learn from your past. Use your trainer as a resource along with all of your other knowledge you have learned and are still seeking and remember you are the one in control of your own destiny. Slow and Steady wins the race.

Kelly Sue - It will be awesome to have your husband with you tomorrow for your workout. I have a good feeling about your new gym and I have a feeling you are going to soar!!! I hope the gym helps your husbands medical conditions.

Welcome to the new peeps and the Australia people. What do you mean what is this "snow" thing:laugh: I thought is was freezing everywhere.... Can you send us a heat wave:glasses: I had - 12F below zero this morning again on my drive to work with wind chill
    -24F. Brrrrrrr
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    Great day here... Freezing rain has stopped and now the sun is shinning. Its been a while since the sun has been out. I'll take it!

Great core workout this morning.
  • handyandy9x
    handyandy9x Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Well got home on Monday night and finally weighed myself on Wednesday as I normally take a couple of days for my weight to stabilise after flying. Was only at 107.6 kg which was a bit of a disappointment, but my wife and daughter said I looked thinner which was considerably more re-assuring and my new shirts do feel roomier.
    Got my new FitBit Aria scale yesterday and they showed a me at 107.1 so even better this morning.
    Back into the routine on my eliptical at home and dog walks in the morning, have to get evrything out of the way early otherwise it is just too hot, days are up over 95 this week.
    Night out tonight to see Bruce Springsteen for the first time since July 4th 1984......he has aged considerably better than me... just home I can match him for the 20 year!.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Too busy yesterday to even check the threads!!! and lots of posts now. Glad to hear everyone is doing so well!!!

Handyandy, welcome back home!!!! :drinker: Now, don't get sidetracked with all the food temptations available to you!! :laugh:

Ruby, sounds like you are doing wonderful!!! Keep up the good work!!! :drinker: :drinker:

Beeps, I have no problem either working out fasted. I don't like the feeling I get when I fast after my workout, even if I take BCAA. I normally lift early in the morning. So I am changing my strategy and will eat after I lift. I don't have a problem fasting the rest of the week. :drinker:

Kellysue, the gym is what your husband needs the most with his condition. Good for him to making the effort!!!! :drinker:

Welcome to the newcomers, post away!!!!

I am going to Bikram!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • KellySue67
    Options
    Happy Friday Cool Kids!! Yeah! Made it to the end of the week. The gym went well today. We got up and had time for a cup of coffee before leaving and I had plenty of time for my work out. I have set up for a meeting with the Wellness/Fitness director. They will do two free sessions with you- one to talk about where you are at now and what your goals are. They then develop a plan to help you meet the goals discuss, and then the second session is where they go through the work out that they set up with you. I will be doing that the week of the 17th. Looking forward to it!

My hubby is enjoying himself too. I say is because he is still there in the pool. He will look rather prunish before he gets out!!

Have a great day!
  • Deestrong68
    Deestrong68 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Snow and Ice on the ground but heading to the Gym, Today is LEG Day
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    GO CANADA!

The Olympics are here and I'm wearing red to work EVERY SINGLE DAY to cheer on Canada!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I hope everyone has a GREAT weekend! Weekends are the most challenging for me to stay on track with calories, anyone else run into that same problem? Any suggestions?

Off to help my husband cut some fire wood today, that should burn some calories. :noway: We heat our house with a big outside woodstove/boiler so it takes ALOT of wood. After that I am going to get a run in and do some upper body weights. I am hoping to get some ice fishing in this weekend too!
  • FancyPantsFran
    Options
    Had a fun night out with the girls Happy hour lasted a really really long time. Today I'm going to do my run I'm on week 6 day 2 of the C25K program. I was scheduled to do it yesterday but felt I really needed a physical and mental day off. Going to make sure I hydrate really well before hitting the treadmill for my run. I might get some weight training in today too. Hope everyone has a great Saturday!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Ruby, I think the best thing is to plan your meals the same as you do during the week. Stay focused on your goals...oh yes, cutting wood, major calorie burner. On Sundays I normally eat a large breakfast, mainly due to my husband cooking it. But then I just try to stay on track for the rest of the day. :flowerforyou:

I haven't been following the Winter Olympics this year. I love the figure skating competition usually the women and couples. :smile:

:flowerforyou:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    I am watching Olympic hi-liters.

Got my scheduled cardio done, today, and I am going to walk with a friend, tomorrow, for some un scheduled cardio, too! BOOM!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Unscheduled cardio (walking) done - BOOM!
  • FancyPantsFran
    Options
    Will be finished the c25k running program in 2 1/2 weeks. Just signed up to run my first 5k-The Shamrock Shuffle on March 8th