40+ Club : Where the Cool Kids Are

Options

Replies

• Oldbitcollector
    Oldbitcollector Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    44 and new to the site. (and to general fitness as well) -- After spending twenty+ years ignoring my health to pursue career and and family I decided that I didn't want to exit early with heart disease or diabetes. I started walking treadmill (30 minutes to barely make a winded mile) one day a week back in October. Now I'm up to three days a week, 3 miles, cycling, and some light strength training. I've got a long way to go with a goal of losing 75 more pounds to get to my target weight, but I already feel better, eating better, and my blood pressure heading back to a normal level, and am starting to wear shirts I've not seen in quite a while. If I can go from the couch to active, then anyone can do it. :)
  • sdereski
    sdereski Posts: 3,406 Member
    Options
    Is there an upper limit? I am 53 so please let me in, I will try and behave myself.!

I'm 54 and they haven't booted me out yet. :)

• sdereski
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Morning all, I got my butt to Zumba and stayed for the body blast class. She started the last quarter sets - this is more kick boxing. Not my fav, but I didn't really mind it. I was using 3lb hand weights to do the punches / kicks. That was the heaviest weight the instructor would allow, otherwise form is compromised. I did have to drop them at one point, but for the most part, kept them in had throughout.

Spring does feel like it may be around the corner, simply because the sun seems warmer during the day - still pretty chilly at night.

Here is a picture of my behind from Sunday's snowshoe - breaking trail while climbing this BFH! Lots of laughs on the way up though.

57wy0mft83cw.jpg

• sdereski
    Options
    Alf - congrats on February's loss!! Great job!

Kelly - so sorry to hear about your husband. You have been through a lot! I sure hope you have a great support system, otherwise, I don't know how you do it. Having to travel that distance for a visit certainly sucks.

Larro - the weight just keeps falling off! I had to smile that you are now on a "gain 1/2 lb week" goal.

Kate - good job maintaining your loss. You must be on the go steady during the day.

Curious - LOVE, LOVE the picture and story of you and the goose!

Carmel -nice to see you are still kicking *kitten* with your workouts!

ruby - love the "just one day" goals. Nice to see your smiling face again as well.

Welcome to the newbies!

(Am slowly making my way through the posts I missed)
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Can I just say again how much I love how supportive and nice everyone on this board is! It's such a nice change!!!!! :)
  • Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday Cool Kids!
    Surely Spring is heading east to warm you all up! :flowerforyou: It's been here most of the winter. Last weekend the first buds on our ornamental cherry opened!
    Alf, yippee! More lbs gone, and another motivating cruise! All sounds wonderful.
    Kate, you continue to inspire me with hitting your goal, passing it, and maintaining steady. Way to go!! We're about the same height, and you're at my goal! I'm making progress, but still 4 lbs over my pre-October weight. I really blew it over the holidays :\
    KS, 3 lbs! Awesome! Sorry to hear dh is so far away, but great to hear you're still drawing a line in the sand about caring for yourself.
    Stephannie, I'm just learning to use kettle bells. I'm not a glutton yet, but think I'm nearing the slippery slope of gym addict.
    GatesofDelirium, welcome. You don't have to behave, but you do have to be nice! ;)
    JoshMaz, you sound like a kindred soul. Hike, bike, paddle (not so much swimming...the ocean is reall cold). I live in outdoor heaven, and take full advantage. But I'm also trying to embrace the gym. I have noticed that my weekend warriorism is catching up with me, and my outdoor activities don't seem to be keeping my overall strength and conditioning up to par.
    Furballs...sending you Springy thoughts! Soon!
    Sdereski, OMG!!! That snow is amazing! Good job with the hand weights. 3 lbs can get very heavy!
    Caramel, happy to hear you're still able to hit the gym hard! Zia's sounds like my kind of restaurant! I wish I had more time to prepare meals. I have an awesome dehydrator, and can make some terrific raw bars & crumbles & fruit leathers ... I really need to manifest being independently wealthy and unemployed into my life so I can do it all!
    Ruby, I also love the idea of small daily goals. Very Kaizen.
    Larro, The weather sounds great in FL! And farewell to your beard. You have a very nice face under there.

I'm not going to get my 4 evenings at the gym this week. Just two. Yesterday was a board meeting until 8. Thursday and Friday are out because of the huge international sea kayak symposium I'm involved with . First time in the states. It's called Storm Gathering USA. Pretty cool thing for our little burg. But I digress...
    Hard CORE at lunch today. Gym tonight. Bicycle commute tomorrow. Gym tomorrow night. Hard CORE again Thursday lunch. Then it's all going to heck through the weekend. :# . I'll need strength not to embrace the debauchery.

• Curiousgeorgianna
    Curiousgeorgianna Posts: 187 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Here's a couple of pics from Sunday's paddle. See my head in the middle of that bottom one? It was a very pretty day.

0jkaj8gq7hmf.jpg
    6dkx6l92p63x.jpg
  • KellySue67
    KellySue67 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon Cool Kids! I have to clarify- I, unfortunately, am not the one with the 3lb loss. Wish that was the case, but I do believe it was 3furballs that had the loss. Must give credit, where credit is due- so congrats to her!!

Hubby had a great therapy session yesterday! So excited for him. He is feeling it today, but had another decent session today. I did have to call and talk with the unit manager yesterday because they didn't get all of his orders from the hospital and made some changes to some of his other medications that we were not in favor of. Hopefully we can get it straightened out soon.

I had a house guest last night. My grandson stayed overnight so that my daughter and son-in-law could go out and celebrate her birthday. We had tons of fun and made brownies too! I did keep a few, but took the rest to day care for him to share with his friends today!

Tomorrow I am going to see another program similar to the one I work in. I will be out of the office all day so may not be able to check in. Hope you all have a great couple of days!
  • SoccerMom529
    SoccerMom529 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi. 41(for a couple more weeks) and new to the site. Trying to get healthy again(it's been a few years). Goal is to lose 60lbs. Need the motivation to get started. Looking forward to being part of the group.
  • larrodarro
    larrodarro Posts: 2,512 Member
    Options
    Sdereski & Curious, I'm filing a formal complaint against you two. {who is on the grievance committee for this thread anyway?} No one is going to look at my lame pine tree planting pictures after seeing what you guys are posting. I just came inside. It's 84F out there and my T-shirt was soaked with sweat. I used up the last of my seedlings, so now I'm just hoping for a nice slow rain.

xe0y6bjbts0g.jpg

I may go back out and trim some trees so I can get in closer with the tractor for mowing. I have to do it every year, as the limbs come down looking for light. It should have already been done, but spring has sneaked up on me.

Another day of just Ranchero related cardio. But it adds up in a hurry.

Hope you guys are having a good day.

Larro

• 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Well so much for my hopes of spring! We've had a few inches of snow and now it's rain/ice. I've opted to not go to kickboxing tonight. Not a fan of driving in this weather and my sore knee is still sore, made more so by whacking it into my desk today!

Suppose to clear up overnight so kettlebell at 6am it is!
    Larro - 84degrees????? Sooo jealous! I'd like to get a few days above 0C so the snow would melt!
  • StephannieL
    StephannieL Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Curious- I use the KettleWorx program. It's a set of DVDs from Beachbody. Dealing with Ryan Shanahan first thing in the morning before my coffee is a bit rough. Can't deal with someone that darn chipper first thing in the morning. Just ask my BF. LOL

Larro- you are too funny! 84 degrees?! Geez! Where do you live? It was like 5 above here in Vermont last night. We're supposed to get to a balmy 35 degrees tomorrow. May have to take my run outside tomorrow evening after Yoga.......if I can move. LOL
  • sdereski
    Options
    Curious, those pictures are fantastic! Wowzer! Must be crazy fun out there in those swells. The colour of the water if beautiful as well.

Larro, love your pics of the planting, especially because you continue to show us how wonderful things grow in that HEAT! 84 degrees? There is a major snow storm happening outside right now and has been going on ALL DAY!
  • ReneDavidson
    ReneDavidson Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    WhooHoo! I am seeing results by just trying to move more, not snacking late night, and realistic portion control. Lost 3.5 lbs since starting on Sunday…my goal is to lose 7 in March and keep it off! That's 4% of my weight. I'll do another 4% in April….
  • afur73
    afur73 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    hey folks,

I am Arthur, 42 yrs young from Glasgow, Scotland. I admit that sometimes i feel like i am 52 but others i am more like 32. I have so far managed to lose 1st 4.75lbs and i would like to lose at least another 2 stones.

I am married with 2 kids, Lucy 10 and Luke 4. My kids are my world.

I have succesfully lost 2 stone in the past so i know i can do it again. Everyone is welcome to add me to their friends list.

Arthur (afur)
  • Nataliegetfit
    Nataliegetfit Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    welcome newcomers, it's great to hear from everyone. My weight has been in a holding position for 2 weeks now. I haven't done anything different, I am going to try 30 day shred tomorrow. It's frustrating when you're eating very healthy and nothing is happening. This is usually the time when I say forget it. But the last time I did that and stopped everything, I gained it all back plus ten, so I definitely am in it for the long run, but just a little discouraged.
    I was recently introduced to the veggie straws and did like them, but found myself easily mindlessly eating them, so today I didn't even buy any more of them.
    I hope you all have a great week.
  • JoshMaz
    JoshMaz Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Great pictures @CuriousGeorgianna! Thank you for the warm welcome as well. You do live a beautiful part of the country... my wife and I took a road trip up that way when we lived on the SF Bay. Yes, that Pacific water is chilly! I got my SCUBA licence out that way... wearing a lot of neoprene insulation!
  • ruby70
    ruby70 Posts: 459 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Curious- OMG, that pic is incredible! I knew you were daring but you are even more brave than I thought. You deserve to see all that cool wildlife out in those swells. That makes my lake kayaking look really weak (think bunny hill) :)

Sederski- I love your pic too breaking the trail. That looks awesome & challenging!

Larro- please don't stop posting those Florida pics, we need a variety. That what makes it fun around here. Just don't post us one of you doing squats in your boxers LOL.

Furballs- great job on 3 lbs lost.

Caramel- NO MORE WINTER.... For all of us. Thinking of you and great to hear about your new food spot find.

I knocked out cardio 40 minutes at lunch today. I am on my way to go lift weights now! The soreness from starting weights again has went away. Great to see all the posts and accomplishments of you all!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Here's a couple of pics from Sunday's paddle. See my head in the middle of that bottom one? It was a very pretty day.

0jkaj8gq7hmf.jpg
    6dkx6l92p63x.jpg
    That looks beautifully dangerous!!!!! <3

• alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    welcome newcomers, it's great to hear from everyone. My weight has been in a holding position for 2 weeks now. I haven't done anything different, I am going to try 30 day shred tomorrow. It's frustrating when you're eating very healthy and nothing is happening. This is usually the time when I say forget it. But the last time I did that and stopped everything, I gained it all back plus ten, so I definitely am in it for the long run, but just a little discouraged.
    I was recently introduced to the veggie straws and did like them, but found myself easily mindlessly eating them, so today I didn't even buy any more of them.
    I hope you all have a great week.

Hey Natalie, do you think you might not be eating enough? You might want to increase your calorie intake, healthy of course. Or you might want to tweak your workouts. Don't give up though!!!! Not allowed.

Good to see everyone!!!! I got my swimming five today and then treated myself to the whirlpool and steam eucalyptus room!!!

Oh Sdereski, beautiful pic, behind included LOL

KS, I love baking with my granddaughter! This past weekend we baked chocolate oatmeal cookies. My husband and son are most of them.

Good night!!!!! <3